From one beast to the next, I challenge you. (RP Duel tournament OOC/Sign-up)

Started by shisteer of nothing much, August 03, 2020, 10:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shisteer of nothing much

Welcome, one and all, to this wonderful tournament, where beasts fight to the death for power, glory and entertainment!
As the host and manager of this arena and event, I will personally ensure all damaging of property or audience members will be dealt with promptly and with the utmost respect to all clients. If you happen to be dissatisfied with our services, you will receive a full reimbursement and a little extra to cover any other minor losses.
If you happen to have any questions or concerns, feel free to reply below or PM me.

So yeah, this is (hopefully) the beginning of a glorious RP tournament. Please don't feel shy. If you happen to die, you will be fully compensated for your loss.
There will be a prize for the winners of each duel, most likely in the form of a shiny thing for your signature. Second place participants may also get a little something, depending on how much fun I have trying to figure out digital art.

Here's how this is going to work:

*I have no idea about deadlines yet. It will most likely depend on how many people we get fighting and what sort of thing they want to do. Being new at this organisation stuff, I'm not really sure what's reasonable.
*Other duels will start once Seb and I have got a decent way through ours. I can only juggle so many things at a time.
*Your character is allowed one weapon of choice and a dagger. The weapon must be a weapon used in the Redwall series. No guns or bombs or anything like that. (I would also like to suggest you don't use long-range weapons like bow and arrow, but that's up to you. Just bear in mind that we'll be in an arena type thing and you won't get a huge amount of opportunity to use it)*
*All standard roleplaying rules and guidelines must be followed, as well as the usual forum rules.
*The duels may or may not be to the death. If a duel is to the death, the winner may still choose to have mercy. If both parties survive, they will need to shake paws.
*The winner will be decided by way of a poll which is open to the public. In order to make your vote count, there must be a reason as to why you think a certain beast should win. We're not going off favouritism here, we're going off skill in fighting for the character and in roleplaying for the member. The poll will go up after I decide there have been enough posts in the duel for everybeast to make a proper decision. There is no rush in voting. If you want to see more before you cast your vote, that's perfectly fine.
*This is the character sheet you need to fill in:
Spoiler

Desired opponent (If left blank, I will simply pair you up with someone else as I see fit):
Name:
Species:
Build:
Weapon:
Basic history/personality (If relevant to the duel):
Motivation:
Appearance:
(I think that's all we need. If I've missed anything, let me know)
[close]

So yeah, that's basically what I have sorted out. If anybeast has suggestions, let me know.

@Sebias of Redwall, I summon you.

Duel one: Benlan Axeblood (Sebias) vs Nitsyok Sagnarb. (Me)
Spoiler

Name: Benlan.
Species: Otter.
Build: Tall and slim.
Weapon: Spear and a short blade.
Basic history/personality (If relevant to the duel): Unknown. If needed, I could make up something while we're dueling. (Perhaps I could have his mother's name be Martha or something like that. XD)
Motivation: ...I'm not sure. I don't know why we're fighting yet. :P
Appearance: Dirty-brown fur and green eyes. He wears chainmail over his knee-length tunic.
[close]
Spoiler

Desired opponent: Benlan/Sebias of Redwall.

Name: Nitsyok Sagnarb

Build: Tall and heavy.

Weapon: Sling.

Basic history/personality: Nitsyok's grandfather once fell in love with a beautiful ottermaid, who liked him and respected him. They were unofficially agreed to get married when they met again at a Hullabaloo and the maid's head was turned by another otter, who was also deeply in love with her. The two males fought and argued the entire fort'night over the matter and the maid got extremely tired of it. On the last night before everybeast went home, she went for a walk along the beach and mysteriously disappeared. The males blamed each other for kidnapping her and thus started a family feud, with the two holts the otters belonged to each taking sides and going with their own.

Growing up in Holt Sagnarb, Nitsyok has been taught family traditions and history all his life, prominent among them the story of his grandfather's love. He joined the crew when he was twelve seasons and worked hard to meet the expectations of his family and, in particular, his father. The crew attended the Hullabaloo in the summer and he got into an argument with another otter, who was the clan's rival and came from the feudal tribe. The otters agreed to settle the argument once and for all by way of a duel and the families have agreed to drop the feud, with the loser's family apologising to the winner's family.

Motivation: Nitsyok vows to restore Holt Sagnarb's honour. His grandfather's argument will be settled and nobeast will doubt the word of a Sagnarbian chief again.

Appearance: Dark brown fur with tan markings. Brown eyes, solid jaw and large paws. Wears a dark red tunic and, for this occasion, chain mail. A matching red bandana on his head and a single gold ring on his left ear.
[close]

Duel two: Finnbuck Pineley (Corn) vs Major Pembroke Wilfford Cresswhite II. (Wylder)
Spoiler

Desired opponent: POOOOOOOOOOOOCKETS.
Name: Finnebuck Pineley (Finn for short)
Species: Hare
Build: On the taller side of the hare average, with definite extra padding verging on chubby.
Weapon: Particularly enjoys throwing pastries (especially ones with meadowcream) and poking with forks.
Basic history/personality: A bit of a joker and an extreme lover of food, Finn is a newer recruit to the Long Patrol and is still in general training. He's normally quite easy going but is less so when other creatures get between him and whatever edible delight he's set his sights on.
Motivation: Really, really wanted that last slice of dessert.
Appearance: Average brownish gray hare coloring, wears the normal Long Patrol uniform. Brown eyes and slightly larger than normal ears
[close]
Spoiler

Name: Major Pembroke Wilfford Cresswhite II
Species: Hare
Build: Tall, medium build (broad-shouldered, but older)
Weapon: Strawberry-rhubarb pie at range, meadowcream trifle in melee
Basic history/personality (If relevant to the duel): Major P. W. Cresswhite is a crusty military hare of the old school, with a taste for justice and meadowcream. Proud and rigid, he holds strongly to the traditions of the Patrol and scornfully rebuffs any challenges to either his personal honor or the rituals of the Long Patrol.
Motivation: To claim his rightful place as recipient of the final piece of piece of the Salamandastron Strudelcake at the Long Patrol Regimental Ball
Appearance: Major P. W. Cresswhite is a broad-shouldered dun hare in his 45th season. He is easily distinguishable among the Long Patrol officers for his long white mustache, which he always keeps impeccably waxed. To the Long Patrol Regimental Ball he has worn his best green velvet dress uniform, decked with several medals, a buff sash, and the tricorn hat peculiar to the 12th Inland Patrol.
[close]

Duel three: Kew-Kew (Grey) vs Inari. (Wortshire)
Spoiler

Desired opponent (If left blank, I will simply pair you up with someone else as I see fit): You may pair me up with whomever you see fit.
Name: Kew-Kew
Species: (Eagle) Wearet
Build: Hmmmmmmm, for this duel Imma go with big, broad-shouldered and hunched over.
Weapon: Generally good ole tooth and claws, though Kew-Kew *iiiis* quite good at setting up traps and has a few handy dandy spears.
Basic history/personality (If relevant to the duel): He's a wearet that thinks he's an eagle. I don't think more history than that is necessary. He's generally a somewhat amicable monster but he's also a bit big on the self-agrandizing front.
Motivation: Can be changed to anything to better suit the duel, but generally he wants to hunt eagles.
Appearance: Kew-Kew is pretty freaky at first glance. He's missing fur in places, has got big yellow teeth and large claws and a big tail. He doesn't wear much, being a somewhat insane jungle monster, but dons a skirt made up of eagle feathers.
[close]
Spoiler

Name: Inari
Species: Fox
Build: Lithe, slightly muscular
Weapon: Naginata (if it is not allowed, a simple staff will work)
Basic history/personality: A traveler from beyond the western sea, he took upon the name Inari to help liberate his homeland from the Khan Horde. Now in self-imposed exile, he is on the hunt for the remnants of the Khan army.
Motivation: To further his horizons on the methods of combat of other lands, and maybe to gain a bit of information...
Appearance: White fur/Pale blue eyes. Donns a navy blue cloak over his tunic.
[close]
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Alright! Sounds good! It is a tad late at the moment, and I miiiiiiiight be busy tomorrow, but I'll try to throw up something as soon as I can. Goodnight! I'm eager to have our characters meet on the field of battle.  ;D
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Alrighty. Just give me your character with enough time for me to set the scene. I don't really want to have to make it all up on the spot.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Are we allowed to change anything about our character before the duel starts?

This is what I have so far.

Spoiler
Name: Benlan.
Build: Tall and slim.
Weapon: Spear and a short blade.
Basic history/personality (If relevant to the duel): Unknown. If needed, I could make up something while we're dueling. (Perhaps I could have his mother's name be Martha or something like that. XD)
Motivation: ...I'm not sure. I don't know why we're fighting yet. :P
Appearance: Dirty-brown fur and green eyes. He wears chainmail over his knee-length tunic.
[close]

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Yes, you can tweak stuff before the duel starts, but not after. Also, please draw attention to the change by quoting the piece you've changed.
I added a bit of motivation for both of us. Let me know if you'd like to change something and bear in mind that the summary of it doesn't necessarily need to be accurate. It could be my very biased opinion.

Spoiler

Desired opponent: Benlan/Sebias of Redwall.

Name: Nitsyok Sagnarb

Build: Tall and heavy.

Weapon: Sling.

Basic history/personality: Nitsyok%u2019s grandfather once fell in love with a beautiful ottermaid, who liked him and respected him. They were unofficially agreed to get married when they met again at a Hullabaloo and the maid%u2019s head was turned by another otter, who was also deeply in love with her. The two males fought and argued the entire fort%u2019night over the matter and the maid got extremely tired of it. On the last night before everybeast went home, she went for a walk along the beach and mysteriously disappeared. The males blamed each other for kidnapping her and thus started a family feud, with the two holts the otters belonged to each taking sides and going with their own.

Growing up in Holt Sagnarb, Nitsyok has been taught family traditions and history all his life, prominent among them the story of his grandfather%u2019s love. He joined the crew when he was twelve seasons and worked hard to meet the expectations of his family and, in particular, his father. The crew attended the Hullabaloo in the summer and he got into an argument with another otter, who was the clan%u2019s rival and came from the feudal tribe. The otters agreed to settle the argument once and for all by way of a duel and the families have agreed to drop the feud, with the loser%u2019s family apologising to the winner%u2019s family.

Motivation: Nitsyok vows to restore Holt Sagnarb%u2019s honour. His grandfather%u2019s argument will be settled and nobeast will doubt the word of a Sagnarbian chief again.

Appearance: Dark brown fur with tan markings. Brown eyes, solid jaw and large paws. Wears a dark red tunic and, for this occasion, chain mail. A matching red bandana on his head and a single gold ring on his left ear.
[close]

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Ooh! I like it! Before we actually have the duel, should we have a few posts where the characters interact beforehand? Like at the feast or something? That way, we could see their personalities in a different way besides throwing metal at each other.  :laugh: Unless you'd rather get right into the duel - which also works. Roughly how long is the duel going to be, btw? I feel like we'll be struggling to continue it after the first dozen or so posts. :P Beasts can get pretty bally tired. Also, will one of us control the crowd's reactions or nah? Also... any ideas what my clan should be called? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions or anything.  :P

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

One can never ask too many questions.

I kind of like that idea. Not at the feast, but maybe in the training grounds and such. I'll get a post up about what the venue is going to look like this afternoon.
The duel will be as long as it needs to be for one of us to win. I'm anticipating it'll be significantly longer than a dozen posts. A couple of pages, at least. There will probably be a half time in which the referee calls a break and both beasts get a drink and a chance to recover their breath.
The crowd (and referee) will be played by me, unless other members would like to post now and then to react. (In which case I'll probably still control most of the onlookers, but they can play select beasts here and there.
I can have a think on your clan's name and get back to you on it, if you haven't thought of anything.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

(Double post. I'm so wicked)

Right, the actual dueling thread is up. Just so you know, Benlan's quarters are exactly the same is Nitsyok's, though you can lay them out differently. I tried my best to describe what is basically available but the list is there so that, if you think of anything else you'd like, you can ask me and I'll see what the organisers can do.
Character profiles can still be changed, since the fighting hasn't started. The battle will begin in three days from now, ish, unless you want longer. The combatants are not permitted to bring any of their own food with them, since it could give them unfair advantage. Proper meals will be provided by the cooks three times a day. The stuff in the cupboard is for snacks. Characters may choose to eat or not eat whatever is provided. There is also a menu of things that can be ordered. Family members may visit as long as an arena staff member is also present.

Alright, we'll be waiting more than three days. Somebeast *glares pointedly at Seb* has been ignoring this duel. Coward.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Lol. For some reason, I didn't see either of the threads updated until today.  :giggle: Also, I have been a bit busy recently. I'll see what I can do though.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Ah, good. It took you long enough. Even when I sent you the link, you were still asking questions that I had covered here.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

The Grey Coincidence

This is certainly an interesting idea! I don't like roleplaying enough to want to take part but i would be more than happy to read through this if this garners more interest.
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

shisteer of nothing much

Oh, sweet. I'm glad you're interested.

Ahem, posted. Seb, your next post can be either Benlan's perspective of the night/afternoon, or it can be in the morning. Feel free to have a staff member come and tell you how things work or whatever you need.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Alright. Sounds delightful. I have a few questions, but I already asked 'em via PMs.  ^-^

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Scott McLamok

I may join this....but I don't want to mess it up with my mediocre RPing...
"A knife, thrown just right, can accomplish wonderful things." -Cayde- 6

"I'm ready! How bout you?" - Emile-A239

"If you win you live. If you lose you die. If you don't fight, you can't win." – Eren Jaeger

"Keep your wits sharp and your blade sharper." – Mandalore the Destroyer

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - General Douglas MacArthur

This is the Way.

shisteer of nothing much

Don't let that hold you back, my friend. The best way to get better is to practice! The character sheet is on the original post, in the spoiler. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!