News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

redwall in the media

Started by mattimouse20, January 14, 2012, 03:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattimouse20

have you guys ever wondered if the redwall company has or ever will make some kind of redwall merchandise such as, stuffed animals,videogames,so on...
my personal opinion is that Brian jacques would have simply hated the idea(god rest his soul), because it kinda takes away from the magic. the books were meant to open up kids minds to go to a magical land with their imaginations. it's really fine just the way it is. books are after all the original entertainment for as far back as we can remember. now, although a redwall video game would be pretty darn cool, i think the books are fine just the way they are.
just wait until I make my daring escape!

Bragoon

They made the five figurines of Martin, Matthias, Grumm, Laterose, and Bungo (alas, I only have the last three right now), and were going to make more. 
http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/Redwall_Figurines

I agree, the books are fine, although I would really like them to publish what he had written of Pondicherry, maybe with his notes on what he might have done with the story, and perhaps some commentary by friends and family on what he had said to them about it. 

I don't think plushies would sell very well.  Some people would buy them, but not enough to make it worth the time and effort put into it.  The figurines are a little different, since those are more likely to be bought and appreciated by a more mature audience who are more likely to find out that they had created them in the first place, but plushies aren't going to attract that audience. 
They'd really have to be based off the cartoon, in my opinion, since Mr. Jacques no longer can provide input as to how he imagined the characters to look.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Lutra

Don't go quoting me on this as an official source, but I don't believe Mr. Jacques was all interested in the merchandising of his characters and series.  He was an author first and foremost, and would rather see children reading his books than playing with a Matthias plushie. ;)  I believe this is also why you have not seen anything like a Redwall movie made for the big screen.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

mattimouse20

agreed. when did you first read the redwall books?
just wait until I make my daring escape!

LordTBT

There is no "Pondicherry". There never was a "Pondicherry." This was an ugly, unsourced Wikipedia edit made by an account with less than 10 edits that also stated Easter Island statues are from the planet 'Galgamex'.

Pondicherry is a city in India, that's all it is. Please do not perpetuate this complete lie further.

Tiria Wildlough

Hmm. LordTBT, do you go around reading everything and look out for a place to add info? Just wondering.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Lutra

Quote from: mattimouse20 on January 16, 2012, 01:35:08 AM
agreed. when did you first read the redwall books?

I started reading Redwall before some members here were born--about 1996 or so.

Also, LordTBT is a pretty reliable source when it comes to Redwall news.  I think he just shows up every now and then, but he's one you can trust.  ;)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Tiria Wildlough

Yep, that's cool. :)
Quote from: Lutra on January 16, 2012, 01:45:41 PM
I started reading Redwall before some members here were born--about 1996 or so.
That was before I was born! :o
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Melody

I started reading them about 8 years ago, after I saw my sister listening to the audio of Triss. since then I have loved the series..

Bragoon

I was reading through the Ask Brian pages (links are in the General Redwall Information topic), and something caught my eye -
"18. Do you think that you might make a video game for Redwall? If not, do you think you might come up with a board game or card game?"
"Definitely not. I really dislike such things! "

Thought it might be of interest.

Edit: Also this one.
"27. Have you considered authorizing stuffed animal toys of Redwall characters? I love badgers, but cannot find any stuffed toys of them! My nieces and I love to play with other stuffed toys and imagine that they are the characters from Redwall!"

"On my recent visit to Los Angeles I was in conversation with quite some few toy making firms who are keen to make Redwall figures of all kinds, the style of them will depend on the animation style of the Movie/T.V. series which I will have more news about next year."
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Melody

Yes Brian really hated internet and tvs.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

He didn't hate  the internet or tvs. He didn't use the Internet or computers very much. During a chat session he once attended and answered a few questions, he referred to what he called his slow replying as "my standard device for typing is a typewriter". He appeared on TV numerous times in interviews.
He did not like board games or video games.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Lutra

That was one really old quote if Brian had mentioned toy manufacturers basing their designs off of Redwall TV designs and nothing had been detailed about it yet.  Apparently nothing ever materialized from those talks because we certainly don't have any Redwall toys and the tv series has been off air for some ten years now.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Bragoon

Yes, my understanding was that those questions were answered in 1997.  Gives one pause to think about times past, for sure.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: LordTBT on January 16, 2012, 03:52:48 AM
There is no "Pondicherry". There never was a "Pondicherry." This was an ugly, unsourced Wikipedia edit made by an account with less than 10 edits that also stated Easter Island statues are from the planet 'Galgamex'.

Pondicherry is a city in India, that's all it is. Please do not perpetuate this complete lie further.
And how, by chance, did you find out that there is no Pondicherry?

Life is too short to rush through it.