News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Book-wise

Started by Bragoon, January 30, 2012, 12:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bragoon

When you're thinking about buying a book, particularly a new book that you haven't read before, what sort of preparations do you make before buying it?  Do you look up reviews about that book online or in a magazine, or do you ask people you know about it, or something else? 

I generally buy my books online from Amazon.com, so I tend to look at the reviews there.  That said, I prefer to buy books in-store, just to be on the safe side, and I don't have to wait, it's just much more convenient to buy from Amazon, since I don't get many chances to go to a bookstore. 
Also, I very rarely buy books that I haven't read yet.  The last book that I bought before I had read it (other than Redwall books) was the second two books in The Foundling's Tale trilogy, and that was over a year ago.  Even still, The Foundling's Tale is very high on my list of favorite books (third favorite series, following Redwall and Narnia). 

Slightly off-topic, I very much enjoy looking at the one and two-star reviews on Amazon of books that I've already read, just for laughs.  Often times the reasons people say they don't like a book are the same reasons I DO like them for, or the person reviewing it gave no specific complaint, just that "The book was terrible". 

"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Nightfire

I generally find them in the bookstore, then read the back. :P
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Tiria Wildlough

I buy a book if it looks interesting, OK, and stuff. I rarely buy books for myself, my mum does. :P
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Lily

Most of my recent purchases have been recommended by friends. As for new books, I like to read reviews on sites like Amazon.com before I spend my money. I tend to rely on customer reviews more than professional reviews, just because I trust customers to be more honest. I find that if I walk into a bookshop and buy a random book I'm less likely to read it, but if I've done my research and kind of know what it's about then I'm way more likely to pick it up and start reading.

DanielofRedwall

I generally read what my friends or siblings tell me to. I always get them from the library first, and then decide if I like them enough to buy them. If I decide to get it, I always try find it at bookstores first. Support local business! Then, if I can't find it there, I'll get it online from Amazon or the Book Depository.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Nightfire

Lately, I've been getting ideas of cool books to read from all of you guys here on the forum. ;D
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Mad Maudie

well actually i do not buy a lot of books i have not read :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ ::) ::) but when i do i look at the reviews ask my friends if they have read it or have heard it was good then i buy it depending on what people say
Cause you are the piece of me I wish I didn't need
Chasing relentlessly and I don't know why
If our love's tragedy why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity why are you my clarity?
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~

Icefire

I get the books from the library. Then, if I like them well enough, I look for them at used bookstores (gotta love 'em!).
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Skipper

i just buy books ive head off, i havent read the rouge crew or the sable queen but i know they will be good cause the rest of the series is

Folgrimeo

Usually I'll hear about a book from reviews, and then go to a bookstore (or Amazon rather) with purpose and snag it. If I wander into a bookstore and come across a book I've never heard of, I'll be more careful with what I grab. My focus is pretty narrow, just animal books (or anything I recognize, like a collection of Bloom County comics). That was how I came across Redwall, actually. I asked the guy "I want something along the lines of "Watership Down"" (a book that I had read before), then I was introduced to the Redwall section.

Dotti

Quote from: Icefire on January 31, 2012, 03:58:38 PM
I get the books from the library. Then, if I like them well enough, I look for them at used bookstores (gotta love 'em!).
Me too!  :D
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Tiria Wildlough

On a random note, Dotti, did Brian Jacques really say the quote in your sig?
Back on topic, I bought Island of the Aunts a while ago, and I was actually the one who found it. I handed it over to my mum so she could see it, and she approved it. I felt like that was a great achievement. :D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Nightfire

Yeah, he did. I looked it up, Tiria. I love it! :D

And I usually get reccommendations from my friends or family before actually spending money on a book.

Ceteruler

I have found all my favorite books either through gifts or random looking in the library. XD

Griffen

i mainly will read the book then buy it if it was really really good.