Trouble on the Horizon---An RPG Fanfiction

Started by Nightfire, February 13, 2012, 09:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightfire

Okay, so I finally completed my fanfiction! Here it is, and I hope you all like it. It certainly brought back many fond memories for me. :)

Trouble on the Horizon.
An adaptation from the RPG on the Official Redwall Forum.
Cast of characters:

Nightfire:

Nightfire, Squirrelqueen of the North.
Zara Lightfur, female, sand-coloured squirrel sergeant and quartermaster of the nomad warrior band.
Jjenth Northrunn, male hare, a member of the squirrel band.

Tiria Wildlough:

Ambriya, female red squirrel, second-in-command of the nomad warrior band.
Meryl Silverstripe, female badger, and Redwall Abbey bellringer.
Kannetar Maleris, female ferret, fighter in the wearat's horde.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy:

Rainan RaKorge, male screech owl, young Redwaller.
Korr Barrin, male weasel, a fighter in the wearat's horde.
Iban Redtail Barrin, male weasel, fighter in the wearat's horde.

Icefire:

Meryoran, female squirrel, Redwall inhabitant.

Halig:

Georgie, female mouse, young Redwaller.

Skalrag of Marshank:

Rooke, male river otter, Redwaller.
Saria, female white fox, the wearat's seer.

Mad Maudie:

Piper Thresuria, female squirrel, wanderer who wants to join the squirrel band.
Maybelle Macberry, female squirrel, wanderer who dreams of falling in love.

Skipper:

Pinetail, male squirrel, traveling warrior.

Winifred:

Fletcher, young female otter, traveler heading towards Redwall.

Freeplay Characters:

Slayyin Allby, male wearat, ruthless leader of the vermin horde, and has sworn to kill Nightfire.
Abbess Violet, gentle, kindhearted mother abbess of Redwall who hates fighting and warfaring, and just wants peace.
Sister Willow, gently, yet stern infirmary keeper.
Friar Perry, busy, bustling, and commanding cook, in charge of the Redwall Abbey kitchens.
Brother Fielders, male mouse, abbeydweller.
Brother Hazel, male mouse, abbeydweller.
Daena, female mouse, abbeydweller.
Sister Helianthus, jolly female mouse, abbeydweller.
Pinebrush, male red squirrel, warrior in the nomadic squirrel band.

Chapter Zero:

Nightfire sat in the branches of a mighty oak, whetting her dirk against a flat piece of slate that she had carried up with her. A little ways to her right was her band of mercenary squirrels. They were lounging about, appearing careless, but ever on the alert for her signal. As she worked, she gazed about at her surroundings. They had been traveling down from the North for many seasons, and she was curious about what lay within the legendary Abbey of Redwall. "Zara!" she barked commandingly.
"Yeah?" A middle-aged, sand-colored warrior with russet-furred paws looked up sharply.
Nightfire jerked her head towards the stone abbey. "See if ye kin make contact with whoever be in charge of yonder fortress."
"Aye," Zara replied, shouldering her longbow. She swung down from the pine branch she was on, and walked jauntily towards the main gate of the sandstone abbey. She banged heavily on the door with a clenched paw, then stepped back to wait. She thought she could hear some creatures on the other side...

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Within the abbey walls, Meryoran had been enjoying a stroll along the walls when she suddenly heard a knock on the main gate. Who could that be? she wondered. Then she opened the gates and found herself face to face with a squirrel she had never seen before. "Hello and welcome to Redwall Abbey. I'm Meryoran. Who are you?"
"Mah name's Zara. Ah'm a sergeant in a band o' rovin' mercenary squirrels fraem tae high northlands. Mah leader wishes tae speak tae whoever's in charge o' this grand place."

Meryl Silverstripe had heard somebeast at the gate, and she hurried to see who it was, spotting the foreigner. The badger was Redwall's bellringer and unofficial badgermum. Meryl saw that it was a squirrel. "Who is this?" she asked Meryoran.
The sand-coloured squirrel spoke up quickly. "Ahm Zara, but that is nae important. Mah Squirrelqueen would like tae meet yah."

The young mousemaid, Georgie, peeked her head around the corner to see Meryl and Meryoran talking to somebeast at the gate. She walked over, a bit curious. They didn't often receive visitors like this at Redwall. She had heard the squirrel introduce herself, and had heard the latter part of the conversation, so she decided to speak up. "Hullo, Zara!" Georgie said cheerfully. "What's this about a Squirrelqueen?"
The mercenary sighed heavily, lifting her dark, almond-shaped eyes to the sky as if seeking patience from there. "Mah Squirrelqueen wants tae see ye, marm. Now, will ye consent tae see 'er before we attract tae much o' a crowd?"
Meryoran started laughing. "Yes, we'll take you to the Abbess Violet, but it might be hard to avoid attracting a crowd. We don't get a lot of new creatures around here, but they're always welcome!"
Zara frowned. She wasn't the one to talk with the abbess "Ah'll go git mah leader. Ye ken talk tae 'er. Ah'm jes' the messenger. Ah'll be back in a tick." She whirled around and darted back to the trees, disappearing from the Redwallers' sight, then returning momentarily with a tall black squirrel and another reddish-coloured squirrel with twin swords crossed over her back.
"My name's Nightfire," the Mercenary Squirrelqueen said. "This is my second-in-command, Ambriya." She extended one tough, sinewy paw towards Meryoran, who stood there, awestruck, for a moment. She hadn't seen any creatures like these before! What does one do in the presence of a warrior? Or in the presence of a queen, for that matter!
That's when she saw the Squirrelqueen's paw extended towards her. She reached out and shook the Squirrelqueen's paw, quite amazed at the strength of her grip "Welcome to Redwall. I believe the Abbess is in Great Hall at the moment. Please follow me." She headed for the abbey rather quickly.
Nightfire followed, sending Zara back to the band. She didn't get surprised by much, but she was amazed at the tapestry of Martin the Warrior. "'Ow many season's must it've took to make that?" she muttered incredulously under her breath. She spotted the abbess sitting cross-legged in front of the tapestry with a young owl.

Abbess Violet shook her head in despair as she wrapped a bandage around the small owl's right wing. "Honestly, Rainan, you must stop trying to fly by jumping out of the window. If Brother Fielders hadn't caught you, you might have broken more than just your wing."
"If we do not try we surely shall never succeed." The small owl replied, quoting an unknown creature from a book he'd read once.
Abbess Violet ruffled the little owl's head fondly. "Just try it somewhere lower to the ground, okay?" The little owl hopped away, mumbling something incomprehensible. Abbess Violet rose and walked over to greet the newcomer. She gave a pleasant, warm smile as she extended her paw to the Squirrelqueen. "Welcome to Redwall Abbey. My name is Abbess Violet, and you are...?"
She was interrupted by Georgie running into Great Hall, shouting excitedly. "Abbess, Abbess, there's somebeasts here to see---oh!" She looked around and saw that she was interrupting, and blushed. "Sorry."
"Nay, don't apologize, young 'un." The mercenary winked at her. She turned to Abbess Violet. "My name's Nightfire, Mercenary Squirrelqueen o' the North." She took the abbess' small, frail paw in her tough, sinewy one. "I was wonderin' if I would be allowed to bunk my crew 'ere for the night. They're gettin' restless and hungry, an' field rations ain't the best o' meals. When we 'eard o' Redwall's legendary kitchens, we just had to see if it as true."
Abbess Violet felt very small as the big squirrel's paw completely enveloped her own. "Of course," she squeaked. "I would be ashamed if Redwall turned away any travelers in need. I will ensure that our friar keeps your band well supplied."
"Thankee, marm," Nightfire said, smiling warmly. "we'll try not to be a bother."
"I'll see to finding some accommodations for you and your squirrels." She moved to scurry off.
Nightfire halted her gently. "Thankee, but we'll bunk out in the grounds. 'Tis been many a long season since we 'ad a roof o'er our heads. 'Twould take a long time to get used to shelter agin. An' by the time we got used to it, we'd be on the move agin. It would be cruel to my band if I made 'em sleep indoors. Besides, we like the open air with the stars." She paused, her throat feeling sore. She hadn't spoken a sentence that long for many seasons.
Meryoran took this announcement with a small amount of shock. "You sleep outside?"
"But. . .we have soft beds, with, with feather pillows and everything! And the grass might be wet, and old, and dirty and. . . ." Georgie trailed off again. It seemed that she was just messing everything up with what she was saying. She had never seen anyone like this come to the Abbey before, and she was tongue-tied.
Nightfire smiled kindly at her. "We love the feel o' the grass on our backs an' the stars above our 'eads. Wouldn't have it any other way, mate!" She turned to her second-in-command. "Ambriya, would ye mind terrible if I asked ye to go fetch the band?"
Ambriya saluted smartly. "Ah'm ontae it, marm!" She went off to fetch the rest of the squirrels. She went out the gate, but immediately, her sharp instincts were roused. She was sure somebeast was watching her. Giving a low whistle, she summoned the squirrels.
Suddenly the tall squirrel froze. "Everybeast, dinnae look now, but ah think there may be somebeast a-trackin' us!" Ambriya unsheathed her twin swords. "Ah'll be ready for 'em," she whispered. "The rest o' you get ready tae fight."

Meanwhile, back in the abbey, the ever-practical Meryoran was figuring out what to do next. "Shall I go warn the friar that we have guests, Mother Abbess?" she asked.
Abbess Violet didn't hear her. "How many should we expect to see, Lady Nightfire?" she asked.
Nightfire shrugged. "I nev'r counted them, but I'd say about fourscore. That's another reason why we're sleepin' outside." She chuckled. "Wouldn't want to flood yer dormitories."
Violet gasped slightly. 80 squirrels! No wonder they liked to sleep outside! "Well, can I please request that you keep your band out of the orchards? The fruit and vegetables are not ripe yet."
"Aye, 'tis the least we can do." She winked. "I'll go git my band now. Well, young 'un, do ye want to come with me?" she asked jauntily, turning towards Georgie.
The mousemaid nodded eagerly. "Oh yes please Lady Nightfire, I would love to! Where does your band come from? I grew up here, in Redwall. What does your band do? Do you fight off rats and ferrets and things? Is it scary? Have you seen a lot of the world? I've never really been outside Mossflower Country. What's the world like, Lady Nightfire?" Georgie continued talking as they left the Great Hall, the Abbess shaking her head, amused.
Nightfire replied slowly. "Well, we're from the Northlands. I'm sure there's tales flyin' about your abbey about the legendary warrior Rakkety Tam MacBurl. We're from the same area as 'im. And as fer what we do, well..." she tapped her longbow and her dirk pointedly. "Yeah, we fight vermin. An' every warrior 'as to feel fear to survive, so yeah, we get scared sometimes. Depends on what yer fightin', I guess. An' we've traveled from the far Northern shores all the way down to Castle Floret in Southsward. The world kin be a dangerous place, young 'un. If'n ye ever want to git out there an' explore it, I advise ye find somebeast to teach ye about fightin' first. Hold up there!" She halted Georgie and took a few steps forward, her nose twitching, then a red light came into her eyes. "Vermin!" She ran outside, unslinging her bow and readying an arrow. She bounded up to the wall tops, and fired off her arrow at the first vermin she saw, a stoat.    Her eyes became filled with anger when she saw the monstrous face of a wearat amidst the horde. She vaulted down from the walltop, unsheathing her dirk and leaping at the beast. "Yayalahoooooooooooo!!!" she screamed, lunging at the beast in a full Bloodwrath rage.

Unaware of the trouble outside, Abbess Violet was still shaking her head in amazement. "80 squirrels? My goodness!"
"Should I go warn the friar, Abbess?" Meryoran asked again, getting slightly exasperated.
"Hm, what? Oh yes, Mery, do go warn him...and you might lend a hand in the kitchens. There should be plenty to do to prepare for these last-minute guests."
"Yes, Mother Abbess." As she started to walk away, a yell from outside froze them both, "Yayalahoooooooooooooo!!!"

Nightfire viciously battered away at the wearat, stabbing savagely with her dirk. She had so far only managed to slash his arms though, and he knocked the dirk from her paw. Like a rabid animal, she ripped at him with her sharp teeth and claws, the Bloodwrath burning hot and bright in her eyes. With a quick move, the wearat got under her defenses and slashed at her throat with his claws. He missed, but instead bashed her head, ripping off her ear. She fell back from the force of the blow, feeling unconsciousness overwhelm her. The wearat growled in triumph, stepping forward for the kill.

Zara Lightfur saw her leader go down, and she howled in rage. "Eeeeeaayyyyeeeeeeehhhh!!!" She lunged at the wearat, with such an anger that he was driven back by the ferocity of it. She yelled to Ambriya. "Nightfire's down! Carry her tae thae abbey and see if ye kin get thae Redwallers tae give aid! We don' have enough numbers tae fight against this horde!" She continued to fend of the wearat, praying that her leader would be alright.

Inside the abbey, Rooke the otter glanced at Abbess Violet. "Want me to go check it out, marm?" He reached for the quarterstaff that leaned against his chair.
"That might be a good idea," the mother abbess nodded her head in agreement. "Why don't you get some others--" But Rooke was already gone.

Zara knew she couldn't keep it up for long. She hoped some of the Redwallers would notice the fray and come help. 80 squirrels, no matter how tough, just couldn't last long against three hundred vermin plus a wearat. She pulled out her Sgain Dhu and started stabbing viciously at the beast, trying to keep him at bay while protecting the unconscious form of Nightfire.
Meanwhile, Ambriya was in the thick of the battle, flailing her twin swords. She was yelling, 'Hawaaay the braaaw! Ah'll show ye hae a northern squirrel fights! Hawaaay the braaaw!'

Georgie stood stock still a bit aways from all of the fighting, terrified out of her wits. She watched with huge eyes as a rat towered over her, ready to slice her to bits with his large sword.
Then, suddenly, Rooke ran over to Georgie, screaming at the top of his lungs. "Redwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall!!!!" The otter slammed the butt of the staff onto the vermin's head, and the rat groaned in pain before toppling over in a heap.
Meryoran ran out of the abbey after Rooke, calling out to him. "I want to help, too! What should I do?"
Rooke glanced at Meryoran. "Uh...sure..." the otter stopped talking to thrust his staff into an approaching fox's stomach. "Get one're two of those staves behind the gatehouse. Can you shoot?"
"I don't know! I guess I'll find out!" Meryoran replied, then ran over to the gatehouse with absolutely no clue what she was doing...she just knew that she wanted to help protect her home.

"Th-thanks, Rooke!" Georgie, stammered, then darted off, escaping the fray. Quite by mistake, she found herself behind the gatehouse. Well, she thought, the least I can do is to help Rooke and the others by way of thanks. Grabbing one of the staves, she snuck away quietly before Meryoran could ask her what she was doing. Georgie jumped out and immediately knocked a rat senseless just by swinging her stave this way and that.
Meryoran decided to follow the mousemaid's example, so she grabbed a stave and nearly got hit over the head by a rat before she had a chance to use it! She squealed and smacked him in the stomach with the stave. This didn't really hurt him, just stunned him for a minute, which was long enough for her to try hitting him on the head. That was more effective and he fell down unconscious.

Rooke felled vermin left and right, making a sort of path to the unconscious Squirrelqueen. He snuck up behind the Wearat and raised his staff, but the staff was kicked aside by a white vixen, who threw herself onto him and began scratching at him savagely. He tried pushing the vixen off him, but she maintained a tight grip.
Zara flailed her Sgain Dhu at the wearat's face, fending him off for the moment. She looked around wildly for the second-in-command. "Ambriya!" she called again. "Nightfire is down! Help! Bring her to the abbey!" she continued fighting, feeling her strength beginning to wane.
Rooke gave one strong kick to the white fox's stomach, knocking the wind from her. While she lay gasping for breath and clutching her stomach, Rooke grabbed his staff and swept the unconscious Nightfire to one side. "Somebeast take this squirrel inside the abbey!" he shouted, wincing with pain as he stood up. "She's hurt bad!"
Zara saw him and nodded her thanks. "'Elp me beat this creature! He's too strong!"
Rooke growled and raised the staff high, yelling, "Redwaaaaaall!" before slamming it down hard onto the Wearat's unprotected head. The huge creature toppled over, and the otter scooped Nightfire up into his arms, rushing into the abbey. "Everyone! To the abbey!"
Zara ran alongside Rooke, ensuring that her leader was alright. She made sure that everyone was inside, then helped bar the doors. "Whew! That was close. How is she?" She looked worriedly at Nightfire.
Abbess Violet adjusted her spectacles as she peered at the unconscious squirrel. "I believe she'll be alright," she said to Zara. "Possibly a mild concussion, but we'll know when she comes to, now, won't we?"
Meryoran had been off to one side. She was somewhat stunned after striking down that rat, and she stared at the stave in her trembling paws.
She finally snapped out of it when she saw the squirrel queen. "Oh, Mother Abbess, hadn't we better take her up to the infirmary so that Sister Willow can help her?"
Zara rushed alongside Rooke as they carried Nightfire up to the infirmary. Sister Willow rushed up and gave orders to lay her out on one of the beds, and Zara paced anxiously back and forth as Willow looked over Nightfire. "Will she be alright? Why won't she wake up?"
Sister Willow looked sternly at the squirrel as Rooke draped a cool cloth across Nightfire's forehead. "It will take time."
The otter glanced up. "Those beasts'll pay fer what they did t'yer leader, mate." The otter wiped drops of sweat from his own forehead. "We 'aven't 'ad vermin 'round 'ere fer a long time. We're a bit outta practice with dealin' with 'em."
Just then, Ambriya came into the infirmary, seeing Nightfire laid out on the bed. "Is she alright? Do ye know what happened tae her?"
Zara glanced at Ambriya. "She was hit real hard by the wearat." The squirrel shook her head in disbelief. "'Ow did that beast follow us? We trekked down Salamandastron shores and across Bat Mountpit to get 'ere!"
Meryoran glanced at them, "You know those creatures? Who are they and why did they come here?"
Zara grimaced in remembrance. "They're just a horde o' vermin, led by that vicious wearat. Thae wearat, 'e an' Nightfire hate each other; more so than she usually hates vermin. Ah wasn't there at the time, so Ah don' know whit exactly happened, but that wearat wants vengeance on 'er, an' she wants tae kill 'im stone dead too."
Ambriya nodded agreement. "Ah don't know what he hates her for. Ah wasn't there either."
Zara looked troubled. "Nightfire is thae closest thing Ah have as family. If Ah lost 'er, Ah don' know whit I'll do."
Rooke placed a paw around Zara's shoulder. "Don't you fret now, yer mate'll be as good as new soon."
Sister Willow glanced up, "Rooke is right. It was a hard blow to her head, but she should wake up soon...with a horrible headache most likely!"
Abbess Violet broke in to the conversation. "In the meantime, you and your tribe are probably hungry. Shall we go down to the Great Hall?"
Meryoran slapped her forehead and said, "Oh No! I forgot to let Friar Perry know that we have company!"
Abbess Violet smiled. "Don't worry, Mery. When I sent you to let the friar know, I had forgotten that tonight was the feast night anyways! We'll have plenty of food...even with 80 extra mouths!"
Abruptly, Nightfire groaned on the bed and her green eyes blinked open. She stared up at Zara and Rooke confusedly. "Wot 'appened? Where's the wearat?"
She groaned again and attempted to sit up, but was stopped by Zara gently placing a firm paw on her shoulder. "Thae wearat is gone. Rooke here knocked 'im out. Ye got 'it unconscious by the beastie."
Nightfire made an odd chirring noise and sat up, despite the strength of Zara holding her down, and she glared at the sand-coloured squirrel. "Quit worryin' over me! I feel fine, do ye ken? I have a headache, but that kin be cured with a drop o' damson wine." The stubborn Squirrelqueen looked fiercely at Rooke. "I suppose I'll 'ave to thank ye fer savin' my life. Huh. Not many beasts 'ave the strength o' paw to knock out somethin' that thickheaded." She offered one, sinewy paw for him to shake.
Rooke shook the black squirrel's paw awkwardly. "Gee, thanks, marm," he mumbled. "Least I could do."
Nightfire chuckled at his embarrassment, and then, shaking off Zara's paw, she stood and gently shoved her way out of the infirmary. "Huh. A little knock to the 'ead, and ye're all treatin' me like I got a sword wound. Now, where's the food at?" She sniffed and detected the scent of blackberry crumble, so she followed it all the way to the dining hall, where she beheld her band sitting there already tucking into the feast. "Nice lot ye are, not waitin' fer me to wake up." she grumbled. The squirrels looked at her guiltily, and she burst into hearty laughter. "Quit mopin' an' start feastin'. I doubt ye'll get food like this agin when we eventually leave."
She sat down next to Ambriya, pulling Rooke along with her, and she tucked into a huge woodland trifle and downed a tankard of damson wine in one gulp. Sister Willow smiled. "Looks like you've got a little competition there, Rooke," she teased.
The otter made a face at the infirmary keeper before fetching a large wooden bowl and pouring shrimp and hotroot soup into it. "Eh, we'll just see about that, now, won't we?"
Nightfire noticed what he was having, and fetched a large bowlful for herself. "Prime stuff, eh matey?" she said, imitating an otter's accent perfectly. She downed it rapidly, swigging some October ale to wash it down.
Zara, meanwhile, was sitting with a group of Redwall youngsters, telling them a wild tale about when the band trekked through Bat Mountpit. "Now, keep in mind, young 'uns, none o' us could see thae paws in front o' our faces. So, there thaey were, nearly fivescore o' bats, an' why, thaey say tae Nightfire..."
The Squirrelqueen chortled, obviously amused. "I remember that tale. Last time she told it there was on'y twoscore o' bats." Rooke snickered behind a tall glass of damson wine, and she grinned. "Ah, well. Let the young 'un exaggerate." She began demolishing a huge plate of strawberry scones, and as she turned away from Rooke to grab a cup of elderberry cordial, her huge longbow and quiver of spearlike arrows were clearly in evidence, as was the dirk tucked horizontally into her adderskin belt.
Abbess Violet could not conceal her surprise. "Goodness! Do you always carry that many weapons?"
Nightfire winked at the little abbess. "Them are on'y my visible weapons, marm. My teeth and claws work just as well as any dirk, and I have something extra as well." She tapped her adderskin gauntlets, and revealed a small, short, thick tube of bamboo that had been concealed in her left gauntlet. "'Tis a blowpipe. It shoots darts tipped with adder poison." She showed Violet one of the darts. It was a long thorn with a glistening tip, and it had green down as flights. "A Northerner always 'as to be ready fer any surprises, marm. That's why I'm so well armed."
She sat back with her paws tucked into the pockets of her adderskin vest, humming a song. Meryoran shook her head as she watched the squirrels tuck in and looked at Sister Willow. "No one would guess that they had just been fighting vermin; they seem to just take it in stride!"
Sister Willow smiled. "They're warriors. Fighting is part of their life style. I'd be more surprised if it did faze them!"
Rooke stared at Nightfire's adder skin belt. "Marm, I don't mean to be nosy, but where'd ya get that belt?"
"I killed an adder, o' course!" she replied, swigging down some burdock cordial. "The thing was huge, so I got a belt, vest, and gauntlets out o' it." She continued eating, as though killing a full grown adder was everyday business.
"Alrighty then." Rooke noisily slurped up the rest of his shrimp and hotroot soup before refilling it with a heaping serving of grayling. "Ya think we're goin' to have more trouble with those vermin?" The young otter filled his glass with white gooseberry wine and took a large gulp.
"If'n I know that wearat, then yes," Nightfire muttered darkly into a plate of elderberry pie. " 'E'll be back, that ye kin be sure of. Best prep yer abbey fer trouble, mate."
"What d'ye suggest we do?" Rooke asked, then sipped his wine. "Us abbeydwellers ain't used ta fightin'."
Nightfire sighed mightily, clasping a paw over her eyes. "Ya mean that no one in this 'ere abbey knows anythin' about fightin'? Really? 'Ow is that possible? Whit about all them legends o' Martin the Warrior?"
Meryoran answered her question. "Those legends are about a mouse who fought ages ago. Throughout Redwall's history, his spirit has guided us in times of danger. However, the abbey hasn't been in any real danger for many seasons and so we don't really have any experience in fighting....Rooke here is really the only one that knows what he's doing."
The young otter blushed a bit. "I don' know much," he mumbled. "I can just twirl this 'ere staff a little. Me ol' dad taught me, afore 'e left."
Nightfire winked. "I was taught by the beast that raised me too, so I guess we actually 'ave a bit in common. Hmm. I wouldn't be much o' an honorable warrior if'n I let a bunch o' abbeybeasts git slaughtered by the wearat." She smiled slyly. "Me an my warriors'll offer ta train ye ta defend yerselfs. But we are mercenaries, after all, so we will ask fer payment." She looked deep in thought, then winked again. "How about we train ye in exchange fer food? My squirrels are allus hungry, and ye have plenty o' it, so twould be fine fer us all." As if to emphasize this, she started to ravenously demolish a turnip 'n' tater 'n' beetroot pie.
Friar Perry had been watching the squirrels eat and murmured quietly to Sister Willow. "Feed them? They have appetites that would put a hare to shame!"
Sister Willow nudged him to keep him quiet. "Just be glad they aren't hares! They may put one hare to shame, but they don't hold a candle to 80 hares! And besides, we need all the help we can get."
The Abbess considered the squirrelqueen's offer. "Hm...food in exchange for training...I think we can manage to feed you, but you may have some trouble with the training! We are creatures of peace, after all."
"I...I'll train, Mother abbess," said Meryoran. "I may be a creature of peace, but I want to help protect my home."
"Good child," Nightfire said, smiling. "I'll teach ye ta use a dirk. 'Tis the best weapon fer one yer size. Zara there kin expand upon Rooke's quarterstaff abilities." She gestured to the sand-coloured squirrel. "Anyone else who wants ta learn, I'll assign 'em a squirrel." She drank some strawberry cordial. "I got enough ta train ye all. Let's just 'ope the wearat don't attack afore we're ready." She dove back into her food, and indicated that she would speak no more until she was done eating.
Meryoran enjoyed the feast, but her heart wasn't in it the way it usually was. Me? Learning to use a dirk? What have I gotten myself into? But at the same time she was excited. These squirrels fascinated her, and she couldn't wait to learn more about them. She sat listening to Zara tell the Dibbuns tales of their adventures. Then she had a thought. What if those vermin come back tonight?
Zara looked very serious as she related another story to the Dibbuns. "Och, so Nightfire, the band, and mahself were trekkin' o'er the land towards a nice, peaceful place led by a kindly auld beastie called Brome Laterose IIV or somethin' like that, when we was attacked by ah massive band o' cannibal lizards! Nightfire, bein' the bloodwrath-y leader she is, yelled 'Yayalaho' and jumped intae the fray. I wanted tae be a wee bit more careful than 'er, however, so ah crept around the back an' jumped the leader o' them beasties afore any o' them could wink. Now, I couldnae wrestle with an overgrown lizard fer the rest o' me life, ye ken? So I shouted quicklike at Ambriya an' the two o' us slung it intae a nearby river! Ye shoulda seen the blaggards, running scared fraem a drop o' water. Hehaha! 'Twas a day I'll ne'er ferget!"
The Dibbuns squealed with laughter and looked on in awe at Zara as Nightfire commented to Meryoran, "Aye, twas true. Nice how she portrayed me as the wild berserker. Huh, makes me sound like a badger lord, she does!" The squirrel chuckled. "O' course, I do 'ave problems with the Bloodwrath, so mayhaps she's justified in that."
Rooke sipped hotroot soup, then looked at the Squirrelqueen. "Will ye tell us a yarn from yer perspective?"
Nightfire neatly sliced up a sizable apple with her dirk, tossing a slice to Rooke. "Hah! 'Tis been many a long season since I last related a tale, an' I fear that I've lost my ability. 'Ow about I sing instead?" She thunked her dirk down hard into the tabletop, then unslung her bow and quiver of arrows from her back, laying them on the table along with the blade.
Rooke stared in amazement at the neat apple slice. "I 'ope ya got a better voice'n me. I've been compared to a fog 'orn, among other things."
Nightfire chuckled as she stood up, saying, "This is an old northland song. I 'ope ye like it." And then she plucked her dirk neatly out of the tabletop, spinning it around faster and faster until it was a blur. She performed many maneuvers with it, spinning, tossing, and twirling it. The song was more of a chant that a tune, but she sang out in a strong, clear voice:

"The young must grow old,
Whilst old ones grow older,
And cowards will shrink,
As the bold grow bolder.
Courage may blossom in quiet hearts,
For who can tell where bravery starts?
Truth is a song, oft lying unsung,
Some mother bird protecting her young.
Those who lay down their lives for friends,
Their echo rolls onwards, it seldom ends!
Who never turned and ran, but stayed?
This is a warrior born, not made!
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason.
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword.
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!"

Nightfire stopped spinning the blade, and it landed with a loud 'thunk' into the tabletop again. She sat down and began to eat again.
Ambriya laughed. "Nice song, Lady."
Rooke clapped heartily, grinning from ear to ear. "You're a great singer!"
Nightfire smiled at him, sheathing her dirk and slinging her bow and quiver of arrows back over her shoulder. She recommenced eating like a ravenous wolf.
That squirrel's really something, Rooke thought to himself as he spooned himself more hotroot soup, singing like a lark one second an' stuffin' vittles down 'er gob the next...
Zara chuckled, seeing Rooke's bewilderment. "All northern warriors kin fight, sing, an' eat like no other," she said casually as she quickly packed away a cherry tart into her mouth.
Rooke glanced at a steaming plate of strawberry scones. "Think I can make room fer dessert," he muttered to himself before charging headlong towards the scones.
Rainan stood up on the table. "To say that this feast is a dream would be an insult to the cook. This feast is beyond words!" And, finishing his speech, he then dove headfirst into a giant bowl of salad.
The black squirrel sat back in her chair. "I'm finished. Now, would any o' ye mind if I asked for a tour o' the abbey? I'd like to know it's defenses so I can help ye better."
The abbess smiled as she pulled Rainan out of the salad. The little owl had a leaf of lettuce on his head like a hat, and a tomato sticking out of his beak, which he quickly finished. "Can I come on the tour too?" he asked the abbess.
Meryoran looked at Rainan with a smile and waggled one paw at him. "Isn't it a few hours past your bedtime?"
The abbess interceded on Rainan's behalf, "It's a feast night! And besides, we may need him to remind us what we need to show Nightfire! He can come along with us."
Suddenly, all the dibbuns (whom Meryoran and Sister Willow had been trying to gather up to go to bed) started adding their pleas. "I know lotsa places to go! Can I come please, please, please?"
"I gurtly strong. I protect you if'n them varmints bees a comin' back!"
Nightfire chuckled as she watched the abbess floundering to deal with the dibbuns, then she whipped out her dirk, pointing at the dormitory stairs, shouting urgently. "I need ye all to stand watch up there! Those vermin could be back at any second, and we need a good watch!"
Whooping with delight, the mass of dibbuns dashed up to the dormitories. The abbess looked bewildered. "How did you do that? They never listen to us like that!"
Nightfire chuckled. "I know how young 'uns think. I was one myself, once, ye know. Now, let's go on this tour."
Rooke rose from the plate of scones, licking crumbs from his whiskers. "Suppose I'd better come along, too. Wouldn't want ya gettin' in ta trouble, now, would we?"
Nightfire laughed, a strong, ringing tone that echoed through Great Hall. "If ye insist, mate! Zara, ye kin help Ambriya keep the band out o' the way. An' keep the squirrel kits with their mothers! I don't need them getting lost again!"
Zara mockingly did an elegant curtsy, then turned around and left with the other squirrels. Nightfire turned back to the abbess, suppressing a smile. "They'll go camp out on the lawn now. It's been a long hard day o' marchin', then fightin' vermin at the end."
"Wouldn't it be a bit dangerous to camp outside with vermin around?" Abbess Violet asked worriedly.
Rooke put his paw around the Abbess' shoulder. "Ah, they'll be fine. They're Northlanders, remember?"
"Besides, we can defend ye're abbey a lot better from there," Nightfire put in. "Well, Abbess, show me the layout."
"I'll lead you, miss!" Georgie said, popping out from behind a door. "Just this way, Lady Nightfire!" She skipped down the hallway, turning back a couple of times to make sure the squirrel was following her.
Unfortunately, she wasn't looking where she was going and ran into a wall. The tall squirrel chuckled. "Lead on, friend." She lengthened her strides until she was walking side-by-side with Georgie.
"Down these stairs is Cavern Hole. It's. . .um, very roomy. What do you want to see next? The infirmary is that way, and we could see the orchard out that way."
Nightfire stroked her bushy tail reflectively. "Let's go see the infirmary. Who is charge up there?
"Sister Willow. She might chase us out if there's a lot of patients, though; she doesn't want anything to harm them. This way!" Georgie bounded up the stairs, taking them two at a time.
As they entered the infirmary, Nightfire altered her pace. In a move which belied her height and muscle, she became as silent as a shadow. She looked at the sick creatures, but was careful not to go too close to any, for fear of infecting them.
Rainan hopped past everyone and went to the window to look out, and his already huge, owl eyes went even wider as several metal hooks flew up onto the wall. "I think those vermin are back!" he exclaimed, pointing his wing at the wall.
Like a flash, Ambriya was beside him. "Whit vermin? Where?" She suddenly saw the hooks. "Ah, nae! They're climbin' up! Lady Nightfire!"
Then the red squirrel saw something else. "Meryl Silverstripe! Get out o' thae way!"

Meryl Silverstripe had been walking along the walltops, unaware that there were vermin trying to get inside the abbey. At Ambriya's shout, she leaned against the wall, and glimpsed a rat scrambling up. "Aaaah! Vermin--uuunnh..." The rat had levelled his spear at the badger and flung it. At such close quarters, he could not miss. Meryl went down with the spear through her chest.

Nightfire shouted orders to certain individual squirrels, then yelled. "Jjenth! Git out 'ere!" Much to the Redwallers' surprise, a hare cam strolling out from the ranks.
He saluted. "Yes, marm!" Nightfire shook her head at him. "How many time 'ave I told ye to not call me marm? 'ere, take my longbow an' quiver, an' keep them vermin of o' those walltops! Rooke, you come with me." She pawed at her left gauntlet. So far, the Redwallers knew nothing of her skill with the secret weapon. That would probably change by the end of the day. Rooke grabbed his staff and followed the Squirrelqueen, not noticing that Rainan was hopping about excitedly, and he suddenly lost his balance and fell out of the window.
Below the window, Brother Fielders had been walking along, when he heard a loud screech above him. Suddenly, Rainan landed into his paws. "Flying again, I see, Rainan?" he asked dryly, somehow not surprised.
"No, I fell," the little screech owl replied, jumping down and hopping off, still full of excitement.
Brother Fielders sighed and shook his head. "What a crazy little owlet," he said to himself. That was the last thing he was ever to say in this life, as just then a vermin arrow flew right into him, slaying him instantly.

Iban climbed up the wall, followed quickly by his brother, Korr. Already, several vermin had climbed up onto the wall and were making their way down into the abbey grounds. Both weasels quickly descended and joined the others, eager to kill. Nightfire glanced behind her at Rooke as he vermin advanced. "Okay, I want ye to lure the wearat over 'ere. Kin ye handle that? I'll shoot 'im as he comes near. Not even he can survive this kind o' venom!"
The otter nodded. "Just leave it to me. Redwaaaaaaaaall!" Staff in paw, Rooke rushed the wearat.
The huge creature grunted in surprise when he was whacked on his heavily armored back, and the wearat spun around, pointing a broadsword at Rooke. "For that you will die, riverdog!" he hissed, and jabbed his sword toward the otter.
Rooke jumped nimbly out of the way, grinning at the wearat. "Come and get me, fatty!" The wearat swung the huge sword with all of his might, all of his superior battle experience forgotten in his rage.
Meanwhile, Kannetar Maleris scrambled up the ropes, and hauled herself over the walltop. She was faced with Ambriya, who was in her element. "Hawaaay the braaaww!"
The ferret nimbly ducked Ambriya's sword strokes, and swung out with her trusty staff. "Uuph!" Ambriya fell with a thud. Kannetar triumphantly raised her staff and brought it down hard. She found herself holding a shorn-off end. The fallen squirrel had slashed it through with her swords. "Why, yew liddle...!"
The ferret drew her knives, and aimed for Ambriya's throat. But the squirrel ducked around, and hauled Kannetar over the side. The ferret was only saved by the fact that she had hold of one of the climbing ropes.
In another part of the abbey grounds, Iban ducked as an arrow flew over his head and hit a rat behind him. Beside him, Korr disarmed a squirrel with one of his twin swords, grabbed him, and threw him over the side, where he died upon impact with the ground.
Completely hidden by the night shadows, the black Squirrelqueen watched in grim satisfaction as Rooke led the wearat ever closer. She readied a dart, then raised the bamboo blowpipe to her lips. She chuckled, then blew, the dart whizzing through the air towards the wearat's neck.
Just then, Iban stepped in to fight Rooke alongside the wearat, when he abruptly felt a small pain in his neck. Reaching towards his neck, he pulled out Nightfire's dart and looked at it, confused, then the world suddenly felt awfully calm. He sighed, and fell backwards onto the grass. The clouds above moved along, calmly observing the terrible conflict below.

Korr saw the dart go into his brothers neck, who then pulled it out and fell down. His swift eyes located Nightfire and then just as swiftly returned to his brother. Making his way quickly to his brother, he dropped his sword and knelt beside him, cradling his head in his arms. "We need to get you back to camp," he said. "You can get treated there."
However, his brother's voice was filled with an odd calmness. "Not this time, brother; there's no escaping death this time. Goodbye, Korr." And with that said, he gave up his spirit and went on to Dark forest.
Korr held his dead brother I his arms as he made a solemn vow. "I will avenge you my brother. I swear it upon my blades!" He laid his brother softly back onto the ground and stood, picking up his fallen blade and unsheathing the other. He stared at Nightfire, deep anger and hatred in his eyes. With a bellow of rage he started fighting his way towards her.

Rooke backed away from the Wearat and stumbled over the body of the dead weasel. He cursed inwardly as the wearat saw his chance and swiftly chopped the otter's staff in two. "I've got you now, riverdog!" he hissed in triumph, raising his sword.
Rooke rolled to one side quickly, but not quickly enough, and the wearat's sword took his rudder. Nightfire saw the weasel fighting towards her, and she grimaced, angry that the dart had been intercepted. She ignored the vermin, knowing she could fight him off, and ran towards the wearat, fighting calmly without any Bloodwrath as she defended Rooke. "Yer dead, Slayyin Alby!" She slashed repeatedly at him with her dirk, then snatched a sword from a fallen foebeast, using it skillfully against the wearat, but he turned and escaped her, frightened because she wasn't fighting blindly like she usually did.

Meryoran stood staring out the infirmary window in shock, "All those creatures...dead! I can hardly believe it." She suddenly saw the wearat chop off Rooke's rudder, and that's when she snapped out of it and went rushing around the infirmary, stuffing supplies into a basket. "Come on, Sister Willow! We have work to do!"

Meanwhile, Kannetar finally managed to scrabble up the ropes again, then she sat on the walltops, nursing her rope-burned paws. Slayyin Alby abruptly dealt her a swift blow. "Get on with it, ya lazybeast!"
Saria, white fox seer for Slayyin, wrapped her cloak around herself tighter, despite it being a warm summer night. "Sire," she whispered to the snarling wearat, "Mayhaps 'twould be better to retreat and attack again tomorrow--"
"Shut up!" the wearat smacked the fox's face with a huge paw. "Slayyin Alby does not know the meaning of the word retreat! We stay 'til the last of our enemies are slain."
Or until the last of our beasts is, the vixen thought darkly, rubbing her stinging face. Aloud, she replied calmly. "Yes, sire, ye know best. After all, ye have the royal blood of the wearats flowing through your veins."
Slayyin seemed not to hear. "Make sure the soldiers know to save that black squirrel and the otter for me. I will kill them slowly, and they will call me 'lord' before they breath their last."
"Splendid idea, sire," Saria muttered.

Nightfire aided Rooke to the abbey, casting a hateful glance back over her shoulder towards the wearat as they entered the building, but she knew her battle was over for now. Sister Willow, who had missed seeing Rooke's rudder cut off, met them right inside the abbey doors. "What happened here?" She took out supplies from a basket and started to tend to Rooke's wound.
Nightfire saluted Sister Willow. "This 'ere otter got his rudder cut off by Slayyin Alby. 'E ain't bad 'urt, but 'tis painful.
"'Tisn't bad," Rooke muttered. "I should still be out there fightin'..."
Nightfire chuckled. "Nay, ye jut rest. Slayyin Alby ain't goin' to do no more fer now. An' if'n he does, then my band'll be ready fer 'im. Just get that bleeding rump staunched, then ye kin see about fightin' again. I don't want a great big lump o' an otter like ye dyin' from as stupid a cause as loss o' blood!"

In another part of the abbey, Georgie had dived under the nearest truckle bed in the infirmary as soon as the fighting started. She stayed there for a very long time, until everything was quiet and she poked her head out warily. "Hello?"
Zara spotted Georgie peeking out from under the bed. "'Ey there, little fella! C'mon out, thae fightin' is at en end!"
Ambriya smiled. "Ahre ye alright, Georgie? Nothin' wrong, Ah was scared tae, seein' mah first battle."
Sister Willow ignored them and continued to work on Rooke. "I'm so glad it's over! All this fighting seems like madness!"
"Aye, et kin be madness," Zara said, checking her quiver. "See that? Ah on'y 'ave two arrers left! Spent 'em all on thae verminbeasties!"
Georgie scampered out, standing up and brushing herself off. "Will there be any more vermin beasts coming? Will they attack again?"
"Ah wouldn't put it past 'em," said Ambriya. "That wearat's sworn tae kill Lady Nightfire."
Georgie did her best to not seem scared, putting on a brave face. "Well then, what should we do?!"
Nightfire looked determined, the Bloodwrath rising in her eyes. "We get him before he kin get us!"
Georgie shrank away that time, seeing Nightfire's eyes turn a bloody red. "Do you still want to tour the abbey?" she asked in a small voice.
The blood vanished, her eyes going back to their normal green at the sound of Georgie's voice. Nightfire smiled. "Aye, young 'un, I would. Thankee. Ye might 'ave to keep me in check so I don't end up killin' myself with stupidity!" She laughed, patting Georgie on the shoulder. "Lead on, my friend."
Georgie skipped off, relieved. "The cellar's are down this way, it's just a short walk. Or do you want to see the orchards? They're very colourful this time of year, and they're bound to have lots and lots of fruits and just about everything. Well, everything you can find in an orchard, at least."
"Let's look at the cellars, mate. I saw enough o' the orchards when I was out there fightin'. Besides, I've always wanted to taste Redwall Abbey's famous October ale!" The seasoned veteran and young abbeymaid walked off side by side, chatting like old friends.

After helping Sister Willow take care of the wounded, Meryoran looked around and grimaced. She was beginning to discover that war wasn't nearly as exciting as they made it sound in the stories! And they had already buried Brother Fielders, Meryl, and all of the others who were killed in the invasion, so there wasn't much left to do. She glanced over at Willow. "Maybe I should go see if the dibbuns ever went to sleep or not." She scurried off to the dormitories hoping for a more peaceful scene...

Nightfire wandered around the cellars, sampling a bit here and there, thoroughly enjoying herself. "Mmm! Ne'er was able to get October ale up in the Northlands. This is spectacular!" She turned to Georgie. "Young 'un, I need to get this recipe from the cellarbeast in charge! Just think what me an' my squirrels 'ave been missin' out on!" The mousemaid giggled at the warrior went on inspecting the many barrels, tuns, and firkins.

Meanwhile, in the dormitories, Rainan and the rest of the Dibbuns were far from asleep; in fact, they were all very much wide awake, discussing top-secret D.A.B business. They all huddled by a single, small candle that had been unlawfully procured from Great Hall, in the darkness, inside of a small 'fortress.' It was made up of several beds flipped onto their sides in a circle around them, and all of their blankets tied together by their corners into one big blanket, with all of their pillows propped up against the beds. Supposedly, it was 'gurtly invincible' and could withstand even the fiercest of vermin attacks, but in reality was full of holes from which the candlelight flickered through. The conversation drifted back and forth in hushed tones, but every now and then, one of them got a little too excited, and their voices raised.

Jjenth the hare was strolling along through the halls of Redwall Abbey, when he spotted the flickering light coming from under the dormitory door and the low murmuring of their conversation. He peered around the doorjamb into the room, seeing a small group of Dibbuns huddled around a candle. "Wot are ye Dibbuns doing, eh, wot wot?" he asked suspiciously, his ears waggling.
Suddenly, Meryoran came up behind him, looking surprised. "Oh! Hello Mr.....Jjenth was it?" Then she glanced beyond him into the dormitories. "What are those Dibbuns doing?"
As one they turned and looked at her and then started chanting fiercely "DAB! DAB! DAB! DAB!"
Jjenth was staring at her, startled. "Wot? Oh, er...hello, marm! Er...I just was checking on the li'l tykes up here. Seemed suspicious, wot! I say, I don't think I caught your bally name earlier. Who are you again?"
She giggled. "My name is Meryoran and it appears the D.A.B. are trying to come up with some new scheme! Guess I'd better see what they're up to...I'm sure Rainan is the ringleader, again." Meryoran walked into the dormitories, pushing one of the beds aside and going around the circle of Dibbuns until she came to Rainan RaKorge. She gave him her most severe look. "Rainan, what on earth is going on here?"
Out in the hallway, Jjenth was a little flustered, but he tried to not show it. What a great Salamandastron Galloper and Honorary Squirrelwarrior he would make if he allowed himself to be unnerved by an abbeydweller. He sighed, slumping down as he curiously watched Meryoran deal with the Dibbuns.

Nightfire had finished with touring the cellars, so she sought out Abbess Violet. "Marm, I'd like to speak to ye for a moment."
The abbess looked up at her. "Go ahead."
Nightfire gestured out to the abbey grounds. "Me an' my squirrels are ready to train yer abbeybeasts. I was wondering if ye would want to supervise, or somethin' like that. We'll just be teaching 'em paw-to-paw combat, fer now."
Violet nodded her head. "I have complete confidence that you will do what is right, I have no need to keep an eye on you. By all means, go ahead."
Nightfire tipped her head to the side, touching the tip of her bushy tail to a point just above her left eye. "Very well then, marm." She turned around and yelled. "Eeeeehhhaaaayraaahhh!"
One of the Redwallers, a gentle mouse called Hazel, shuddered. "Is that some type of war cry? It sounds terrifying!"
Zara tipped him a wink. "Nay, 'tis just thae call tae attention." She lined up in formation with the other mercenaries, as Jjenth came hurrying out from the main building and slid in next to her.
Rooke looked hesitantly at Nightfire. "Marm, if it's all right with you, could I...eh...maybe train along with your squirrels?"
Nightfire turned and smiled at him. "Why, o' course ye can! We'll need beasts who are good with staves." She divided the anxious Redwallers into eight groups of ten, then she assigned ten of her squirrels to each group. She herself took charge of one of the groups, along with Jjenth, Ambriya, and Zara, to name a few. Because they were equal size groups on either side, it was one-on-one training. "Now, then, Rooke. Cast aside that quarterstaff for a moment. I'll teach ye paw-to-paw combat. I'll attack, ye try to counter my moves. Right then, get ready!" She let fly a swinging uppercut, aiming for his midriff. It was perfectly balanced so that, if she missed, then she would not be knocked off balance, and he dodged, counterattacking with a blow to her shoulder.

Abbess Violet was walking through the grounds, watching the training with a small amount of worry, when there was a knock at the small western gate. She went and opened the door, seeing a chocolate-colored squirrel with long eyelashes and a pretty face. She looked at the abbes earnestly. "Excuse me ma'am, but me and my friend were wondering if we could stay the night."
"And you are?" she asked curiously.
The chocolate-colored squirrel bowed elegantly. "I am Piper Thresuria at your service, ma'am."
She nodded and answered the squirrelmaid's question. "Of course you can. All friends are welcome in Redwall Abbey. Where is your friend?" Piper grinned. "Maybelle, come out! It is alright! I told you I would find it someway or other!"
Another young squirrel hoped nimbly down from a nearby tree and scurried over to them. "Hello! The name is Maybelle Macberry."
Abbess Violet shook her hand warmly. She was not as intimidating as the darker one. "Come in both of you. I will show you Redwall Abbey." She led them through the lawn and towards the groups of training warriors. "Now here we are," she said warmly, then addressed the Squirrelqueen, who halted her duel with Rooke. "Nightfire there are two new girls who just came to the Abbey. They are both wandering warriors like yourself."
"Your Majesty," said Piper, bowing low. "It is an honor to meet you. I have heard much about you and your group. If it is your will, I will go with you. I am good with cutlass, dirk, short sword, and a poisoned dagger."
She suddenly looked over at Maybelle, who was in a conversation with a young male squirrel fro Nightfire's band. "How on earth do you use a sword?" the squirrelmaid asked. "I use this" She pulled out a big crossbow, and, drawing an arrow, she sighted the target, and in one second there was an arrow in the bullseye. She looked at him, fluttering her small, dark eyelashes.
He looked at her in amazement and awe, and they went off to get the arrow, chattering away like two sparrows in a nest.
Piper rolled her eyes and looked back at Nightfire, who chuckled, watching them walk off. She signaled to Rooke that their practice was over for now. "Pore Rowanblade; he looks completely smitten with your friend." She turned back to Piper, smiling. "It's an honor to meet ye as well, young 'un. Looks like ye are well equipped fer any trouble. Quit it with the 'your majesty' stuff, though, and just call me Nightfire." She extended one black-furred paw towards the maid. "So, what is your name, then?"
"Piper Thresuria at your service, your Magest... I mean Nightfire." She smiled apologetically. "My friend is Maybelle Macberry, and almost anyone is smitten with her. But that is her talent and preoccupation, not mine." The squirrelmaid winked. "You know, she is only 11 seasons old, and everyone loves her. She even once refused to marry this one squirrel who was 24!Hahahahaahah!"
Nightfire smiled at that. "Well, then, Piper, ye kin help us train the abbey defenders, if'n ye want."
Just then, Jjenth passed by with one his trainee, grinning cheekily. "Just so ye bally well know, Pipe, ol' gel, Nightfire's stark ravin' mad, wot!" It was the Squirrelqueen who winked at Piper this time, then she shot towards Jjenth like a streak of black lightning, grabbing him and frogmarching him towards the abbey pond, completely straight-faced. She unceremoniously dumped him in the water, then walked back towards the squirrelmaid as the hare struggled out, sputtering. "I say, old gel! Jolly bad form, assaultin' a lower offisah!"
Piper stared at Jjenth in amusement, then spoke to him. "Well, I think she's amazing." She turned back to the black squirrel. "Do you know where I can get some grub? I am famished after that long walk. Maybelle get over here!"
Nightfire chuckled. "Come on, then, let's get ye some vittles." She flicked her bushy tail towards the abbey, giving her one warrior a warning look as he trotted behind Maybelle like a lost squirrelkit. "Rowanblade! Git back to trainin' the abbeydwellers! Ye got two students waitin' fer ye!"
The young squirrel looked abashed, turning and going hurriedly over to the waiting Redwallers. Maybelle went up to her friend, looking entranced. "Oh, Piper! He says my eyes gleam like stars on a moonless night! Oh, isn't that romantic!" She watched him retreating to the training grounds, utterly smitten.
As they entered the Abbey, Piper looked about in awe as she replied to Maybelle's love story "Um, sorry, Maybelle, did not you say once, and I quote: 'If all males are like that last goon, I shall never marry?'"
Maybelle didn't seem to notice. "But he is not 24! He is 14, and that is only 3 years older than me. And he is smart, tough, handsome, good mannered..." she trailed off in the reasons why he was so nice, looking lost in romantic thoughts again.
Nightfire led them to the kitchen and got some food.  "Oh, goodness! This turnover is amazing!" Piper exclaimed. "Maybelle, pass me a cream tart, will you? Yum!"
Friar Perry watched them eat. "The only thing worse than a hare is a starved squirrel, let alone two!" Piper and Maybelle took no notice of him.
Nightfire chuckled. "Actually, Friar, the only thing worse than a hare, is feedin' eighty starving squirrels and a hare!"
He looked at her, completely aghast. "You mean you have to feed them yourself all the time?! I pity you, marm!"
Nightfire roared with laughter. "They usually find their own stuff, but yes, it can be quite a pain leadin' 'em to a place with food." He stared at her, and then the two began trading horror stories of feeding large groups.

Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Nightfire

Back outside in the abbey ground, Meryoran and a young mousemaid named Daena chuckled as they watched Rowanblade trudge back towards them. It quickly became obvious that his mind wasn't on training. "Is this the right way to hold the bow?" Daena asked him.
"Such pretty eyes.....oh what? Right! I mean wrong! Um...oh what do I mean? Here, let me show you." He tried aiming at the target, but accidentally shot over it instead, nearly hitting Sister Willow!

Nightfire had wandered out of the kitchen just in time to see Rowanblade nearly shoot an arrow through Sister Willow's forehead. She darted over to him in a black streak of fury, grabbing his bow and thwacking him soundly on his paws with it. "Have ye got acorns fer brains?! Ye nearly killed one of the abbeybeasts! You're off duty, an' on a charge until ye get yer mind cleared o' that squirrelmaid, understood?" Rowanblade looked abashed as she confiscated his sword and bow, her green eyes blazing with fury. "Sorry, Lady Nightfire, I unnerstand. Won't 'appen again, I promise." The Squirrelqueen muttered under her breath, sending him off to sweep the dormitories, enraged that one of her warriors had acted with such stupidity.

After sweeping the dormitories, Rowanblade went and talked to Maybelle. When they eventually parted again, she ran to Piper, tears streaming down her face. "Oh, Piper! He says he doesn't want me anymore because I made him lose his job! Oh, why do I have to be the pretty one?"
She broke down, crying, her tears falling onto her friend's footpaws. Piper, not knowing what to do, started talking to her. "There, there, May; it's alright," she said soothingly. "I'm sure he didn't mean it." Just then, Rowanblade walked by on his way to do another task set to him. Piper looked at him harshly, indicating for him to talk to May. He avoided her glare, however, and walked off. She changed her mind there and then. "Or not! Oh, what a jerk! It probably was for the best, May. I mean, if he is that heartless, he does not deserve you. I am sure there are other squirrels in the warrior band who think you are beautiful."
Maybelle tried to wipe away her tears. "I looked; he is the only one. Oh, I shall never love again! I'll die an old maid with a broken heart!"
"Now May, I will not have this! He will come to his senses soon enough. I hope." For some reason, Piper found herself greatly saddened at the sight of Maybelle crying in a small lump on the floor

Rooke lounged lazily under the shade of a damson tree, sipping the contents of a glass of strawberry fizz. In his opinion, that was the best cure for an injury, and his nether regions still ached from the wound he had received.

Georgie slunk back to the main abbey building, seemingly forgotten about. She looked downcast to the floor, and went trundling off in the other direction from the training group of abbey defenders, thinking miserably to herself that maybe she just wasn't good enough to be considered important. At least, not as important as the other creatures who demanded Nightfire's attention.

Maybelle had recovered sufficiently and had left Piper for now, walking along as she softly sung a song. "Oh, I shall never love again. My heart has been broken, and I feel so alone. For my love left me, so we were not together for long, but my heart is now alone." She bumped right into Georgie, and racked her brains, but somehow couldn't think of the mousemaid's name. "Oh, I am so clumsy! Sorry, what is your name?"
Georgie's head snapped up as she looked at the newcomer. She recognized her as one of the beasts that had been with Nightfire. "I--It's all right. I--I'm Georgie. You?" she stammered.
"Maybelle; that is my name. What is wrong? You seem flustered." Having found someone knew to talk to, she told her love story once more. "I know I am. My love just left me to be in Nightfire's army. Oh, how she makes me upset! How old are you? I am 11 and need a friend."

Jjenth was wandering the halls looking for the kitchens, when he saw Maybelle and Georgie standing there talking. "Er, hello, wot! I say, do either of you chaps know where the kitchens are?"
Maybelle looked up at him. "Oh, of course! Right this way; the kitchen should be down this hall...oh! Now I am completely lost." Jjenth suppressed a chuckle as she looked around. Coming down the hall was a mouse, who was obviously a Redwaller. "Um, Sister, which way is the kitchen?"
The jolly old sister stopped, looking at her. "Just down here; I'll show you the way. I'm Sister Helianthus, but you can call me Sister Helen. Oh, here it is." She turned into a doorway. "Friar, it looks like you have a hare and a squirrel visiting."
The friar looked up, his eyes widening. "Oh, woe is me!" he wailed piteously, fanning himself frantically with a dock leaf.
Jjenth chortled at the bemoaning friar. "Nay, nay, don't be upset, wot! I barely eat a smidgeon!"
Friar Perry looked as though he did not believe him, so Jjenth smiled. "I have traveled from hither to yonder with a band of mercenary squirrels that hardly eat anything while on the march, so I am used to going an entire day without eating."
"That doesn't stop you from emptying my whole larders once you do get some food!" the friar said, obviously irritated.
Georgie followed Maybelle and Jjenth into the kitchen and heard the conversation, brightening up when she smelled the wonderful aromas wafting from all the foods. "So you've traveled with Nightfire, then? What's it like?"
Jjenth chuckled. "I was assigned to her band as a tie-in, to maintain contact between her and the jolly old mountain o' Salamandastron. So I've been part of her bally herd o' squirrels since. I think I'm even starting to speak their lingo, wot! I was titled an Honorary Squirrelhare by that little sandy-colored one, Zara." He chuckled again. "Oh, look! Leek 'n' mushroom pastie! My favorite!"
He swiped the pastie, then took off in a mad dash as the friar came at him with an oven paddle. "Gerrout of my kitchens!"
He nipped quickly out the door, munching on the pastie and laughing uproariously. Meryoran reached the kitchens just then and barely managed to avoid the fleeing Jjenth. She giggled as Friar Perry followed behind yelling. "AND STAY OUT!!!"
"Oh dear! Hares invading the kitchens, Friar?"
He lowered the paddle and wiped his brow with his dock leaf. "Only one hare, thankfully! 80 squirrels though! Whatever am I going to do?!"
Meryoran chuckled as she provided an answer to his dilemma. "How about this, Friar, whenever I'm not training, I'll help you in the kitchens. Does that sound good?"
"YES!" the friar shouted eagerly. "Are you training, now? I could use some help with lunch."
"Alright, I'm available!" As they strolled back into the kitchen, Meryoran spotted Maybelle and Georgie and, being completely clueless about past events, spoke to them, saying, "Hi Georgie! Who's your friend? Oh wait, I remember, you're Maybelle! The one Rowanblade is so taken with!"
Maybelle looked at her sadly. "He does not want me! Nightfire changed his mind. Oh, can you talk to her? Tell her I need him! And can I help? I have nothing better to do! Mmm, smells delicious!" Looking at the friar, she picked up a spoon and started looking through a cookbook.  "Oh, yum, a cheese Danish with a crumble on top! Georgie, get me some flour!"
"Alright, alright!" Georgie couldn't help laughing at Maybelle's antics. She grabbed a bag of flour and carried it over to Maybelle, then accidentally sneezed. A white, dusty cloud went up and covered everyone in the kitchen head to toe with flour. "Sorry!" Georgie said sheepishly.

Back outside in the abbey grounds, Nightfire was drilling a Redwaller in the use of a bow, and Zara was teaching a timid rabbit how to use his paws as weapons. Jjenth walked out casually, munching on the last of his pastie and spotted Zara. He went over, helping her to teach the rabbit and give the timid creature some more courage.
Rooke was practicing some fighting techniques with a red squirrel called Pinebrush, who wiped sweat from his brow. "Alright, otter, what d'ye say we take a wee break? Ah'm right famished, Ah am."
Rooke panted heavily, nodding to show his agreement.

Maybelle was in her element, giving orders like there was no tomorrow. "Georgie, stop playing around! I need some cream, cheese, sugar, butter, milk, salt, and vanilla. Oh, Georgie, hurry up! This sounds delicious and I want to finish it!" Friar Perry was starting to look concerned, so she went over to him. "Friar, do not worry about a thing! I know how to cook. Now go get me some cinnamon!"
The good friar raised an eyebrow, amused at how bossy she was, then complied. She was off again, giving orders to Sister Helianthus.

Georgie did as she was told to, sneezing a lot more. With one last sneeze, she gave the items asked for to Maybelle, then sat down on a stool, her tail flicking. "What are you going to make, Maybelle?"
"A cheese Danish! Yum! Hey, Georgie, start mixing these dry ingredients; I'll do the butter and sugar and stuff. Oh Friar whatsyourname, where are the measuring cups and wooden spoons? I'll need two cups of sugar." She started going on at how good at cooking she was, and Friar Perry chuckled quietly.
Georgie eagerly grabbed the spoon, however, and vigorously started mixing the concoction, relieved at finally being able to have something to do, and she caused Maybelle to stop her talking. "Not so hard! The flour is getting everywhere!" she complained.
"Sorry," Georgie said, grinning sheepishly. She sneezed again. "I might be coming down with a cold. Or I got too much flour up my nose. What brings you to Redwall, Maybelle?"
The squirrelmaid started cooking again. "Piper. She is my friend, and I have known her for as long as I can remember. She came for Lady Nightfire."
Just then, Nightfire entered the kitchens, having heard from Jjenth that it was chaos, and she chuckled. "What do ye mean 'she came for me?' She looked at Maybelle severely. "And I never said that Rowanblade couldn't be around ye, but he needs to make sure that his affections for ye are not interferin' with his duties. He may be a lovestruck moron, but he is also a Highland Warrior who has duties to perform. An' if'n he puts the life o' one more abbeydweller in danger, then he'll be drummed out o' my band for good. " She glanced around the flour-filled kitchen, then sighed, both amused and exasperated, sympathizing with Friar Perry, who had his head in his paws. "Looks like ye all need a mite o' help. Here, I'll need fresh plums, flour, sugar, apples, marchpane, an' many bowls o' cherries." The big, black squirrel went briskly about the kitchen, gathering the ingredients that she needed.

Georgie sneezed again as the Squirrelqueen walked around the kitchen, surprising her with her expertise. "Hullo, Lady Nightfire," she said with a trace of resentment to the squirrel for leaving her behind.
Maybelle, however, had completely lost interest in cooking. "Oh, you mean he still loves me! I must fly! Take control of the Danish, Georgie!" She hurried off, a dreamy look in her eyes and a twitterpated smile on her face.
Nightfire ignored the smitten squirrel and smiled apologetically at Georgie, knowing why the mousemaid was annoyed. "Sorry, young 'un, I didn't mean to leave ye behind like that. I got a mite excited about seein' the rest o' Redwall Abbey. Now, do ye want me to show ye how to make Highlander Pie?"
Georgie broke into a grin, relieved that it wasn't her fault. "Oh yes, please, Lady Nightfire!"
The black squirrel frowned at her sternly. "I've told ye, just call me Nightfire. Don't call me Lady, or Majesty, or anything like that. Now, first ye need to roll this 'ere flour and spread it out into a deep pan-..."
Piper ran into the kitchen, interrupting. "Nightfire, something amazing has happened!" She paused for breath. "Rowanblade is hugging Maybelle, and she is kissing him on the cheek! I have never seen Maybelle so happy! What did you say to her?" She started again, not waiting for the Squirrelqueen to reply "Look, there they are! Wow, they do look happy!" she said as everyone crowded to the window to see the two walking and racing each other, laughing together. Piper got a knowing look in her eye, at she gave Perry a wry expression. "Friar, there will be a wedding cake to prepare soon!"

Nightfire watched approvingly as the flour was shaped into the pan by Georgia's nimble paws. "'Ere, now we pour cherries in a layer, then we layer a lot o' sliced apples an' plums o'ertop, then layer still more cherries.
After all the fruit is layered, then we need to lay out marchpane on top, then cut some neat liddle slices through it to allow steam to escape. Now we shove it in the oven, and wait for a while." Nightfire sat down on a nearby sack of potatoes, watching Georgie intently.
Piper looked at her from the window "Have you seen these two? I am so happy you let them be together!" she exclaimed.
Ambriya sauntered into the kitchen, not even glancing at Piper. "Hey! Whit are ye makin?'"
Nightfire turned to her second-in-command. "Northlander Pie. 'Tis almost done, Ambriya. Georgie here is a good cook." She smiled at the mousemaid, who smiled back.

Deep in Mossflower Woods, unknown to all, the roving warrior known as Pinetail was crouching by a campfire. He had news for the abbey, and it was not good; Slayyin Alby was heading in this direction after some squirrel band, and if he saw the abbey, he would not hesitate to attack. Pinetail put out the fire and jumped into a tree; treehopping was the fastest and safest way to travel at the moment

Nightfire neatly sliced the finished Northlander Pie into many pieces, then gave one to Georgie. "Tell me what ye think, young 'un."

Just then, Piper ran up and grabbed a slice, but thankfully, it wasn't the one for Georgie "Oh yum! Goodness! The Danishes!" She ran to one of the ovens and grabbed the tray. "Saved them!" Just then, a certain squirrelmaid walked through the doors into a kitchen, and Piper stared at her. "Oh! Maybelle, where have you been? And what is that necklace you're wearing?" She really did not need to ask, because the look on the squirrelmaid's face said it all.
Maybelle replied anyway, though. "Oh, just a thing Rowanblade gave me!" She had a dreamy expression. "He says he got it from a powerful stoat warlord!"
"Do I hear wedding bells, dear?" Piper asked with a smile.
"Oh I do not know! But I..."
"But you want there to be!' Piper finished for her.
The friar huffed and started stating his mind in his typical abrupt and blunt fashion. "Young 'uns always daydreaming of love and marriage, with not a care in the world! It is pathetic!" he said grumpily.

Zara Lightfur was walking along the ground, pacing the length of the wall out of sheer boredom, when she heard a knock at the gate. She peered through the crack, seeing a squirrel, so she swiftly unlatched the door, smiling warmly and giving him a cheerful salute. "Greetin's tae ye, sir, an' welcome tae Redwall. Ah'm Sergeant Zara Lightfur o' Nightfire's band. Come in. May ah ask who ye be?"
He looked slightly out of breath from traveling. "I'm Pinetail, and I have bad news. Is there an abbot or abbess I can speak to? It's important," he added swiftly.
Zara was a little taken aback. "Och, yes, o' course. Thae good Abbess Violet is o'er in thae kitchens wi' Lady Nightfire."
She led him into the abbey building and towards the kitchens, although Pinetail could have easily just followed the smell of food to find it. Zara pointed him into it, then walked off, so he poked his head round the corner. "Is Abbess Violet here?"
Piper looked up in surprise as she saw the newcomer enter the kitchens. "Well, yes! Abbess! Somebeast wants to talk to you! I have no idea why; I've never seen him before!" She stared at him while she rolled out a pastry dough.
Nightfire looked up from a second Northlander Pie that she was making. The ordinarily serious Squirrelqueen was completely covered in flour, looking more like a white squirrel than a black-furred one. Abbess Violet bustled into the kitchen, then stopped at she saw her. "What happened to you?!"
The Squirrelqueen laughed. "Jjenth decided to give me a flour bath. I guess he didn't like my natural fur color."
The hare looked up from his bowl of candied chestnuts that he was eating out of, indignant. "It was an accident, marm! How was I to know that some cad had greased the flamin' bowl? Bally nerve o' yeh, marm!"
Pinetail felt slightly sorry to break the joyful mood, but it had to be said. "I'm afraid I have bad news. Slayyin Alby is heading after some squirrel band, and they are heading this way. Redwall will be in their sight, and they won't hesitate to attack."
"Well, um...Mother Abbess, we go and get the Redwall warriors, right?" Piper asked, unsure.
"Oh, Nightfire! They are after you and your band! Oh, dear! What about Rowanblade?" Maybelle asked worriedly.
Nightfire set down the pie and all pretense of being a cook, then strode quickly from the room, calling back over her shoulder. "If it's my band he wants, he'll have to git through me first. You, Pinetail, and Piper, come with me." She headed out to her band, informing them of the situation, then she equipped herself and went up into the top of the belltower. She stared in awe at the twin bells for a moment, then strung her longbow and fitted one of her huge, spear-like arrows to it. "Pinetail, I'm assuming ye kin use a bow? Piper, here's another bow fer ye to use."
"Nightfire, I have my own bow," the maid said, pulling it from behind her cloak. It was a beautiful weapon, made of strong elm wood, naturally, bent, and red with the heat of summer.
Pinetail nodded. "I'm as good as any."
Nightfire smiled. "Good, but ye may 'ave to be better than most fer this. Now, take this bow, and git ready." She aimed her own longbow out the belltower window, setting her sights down towards the main gate.
While she waited, her eyes roved over the detailed, lifelike carvings on her longbow. One of the more recent carvings was of herself, sitting in a tree and watching the abbey. An older one, most likely a few seasons older, depicted a camp of squirrels being massacred by a vicious wearat.
Pinetail stretched his bow to the limit and took aim as he waited for Nightfire's signal. The black squirrel kept her eyes trained on the path, then she caught the quick movement of a dark-furred stoat. It was scuttling down the path with two others, and all three of them were holding torches. "Ha, so that's his tactic, eh? Fire on my command." The stoats came closer. "One..." they came up to the gates. "two..." they lowered their torches. "Fire!!!!" she let loose her bow, and the spear-like arrow whizzed through the air and hit the lead stoat like a thunderbolt.
Pinetail immediately released his arrow and it went flying through the target and ended up quivering in a tree
Piper let go of the string on her bow and her arrow hit a ferret in the eye. She watched as it went down while fitting another arrow in the bow.
Nightfire chuckled grimly as she fired off another spear-like arrow. It flew so hard and fast that it skewered two vermin.
Pinetail fired an arrow and quickly released another before the first one even hit its target.
Loosing the arrow, Piper was the one to take out the second to last vermin. "Nightfire do you wish to take out the last one, or let him go and tell his master?" she asked, a grim smile on her face. This was what she was trained for she; was not going to let it go to waste.
"Why don't we gather yer gang and follow them, then we can ambush their camp." Pinetail suggested helpfully
"Should we, Lady Nightfire? He has already run off, but I know an excellent tracker!"
Nightfire slung her longbow back over her shoulder. "Yeah, I think that'd be wise." She leaned out of the belltower, yelling down towards a sand-colored squirrel. "Zara Lightfur!!! Git Ambriya an' ready the band! We're goin' huntin' this night!"
Zara saluted her, then chivvied the squirrels into action. Pinetail looked at Nightfire. "Would ye mind an extra body?"
"O' course ye kin come with us. The more squirrels the better, especially since we lost twoscore last winter, so we're many bodies short."
Pinetail smiled broadly and went down to join the squirrels. Piper came up to the black squirrel. "Lady Nightfire, the tracker I was talking about was Maybelle. She can track a falcon on a cloudy day, and a Marlfox at night. Plus, she wants to be around you-know-who." She smiled knowingly.
Nightfire sighed, then nodded. "Fine, bring 'er along. Now let's git goin' afore the moon disappears an' we're walkin' in total dark!"
When Maybelle heard the news, she skipped with delight, but Piper was stern. "Now May, understand I told Nightfire how good of a scout you were, so you will have to prove it to her. Do you think you can?"

Pinetail was on the front line, and he had one of his dirks tucked under one arm. His tunic had some medals pinned on, and his eyes were faced front as he waited for the order to move out. From inside the abbey, Meryoran quickly grabbed the bow and dirk one of the squirrels had lent her and rushed out to join the troops. Nightfire gave vent to the eerie call to order, then told her squirrels to move out. The Northland Warriors marched briskly through the main gates, ready for battle, and Pinetail  went over and whispered to Nightfire as they walked. "Want me to scout ahead? I could do with a wee bit of treehopping."
"Maybelle, get over here and get to work!" Piper called, not wanting anyone to get her friend's job. "Which way did they go?"
"Well it is obvious they went this way. Look! Here is one of your arrows! But then there tracks coming from here...this is where they came from, but they took a different way back, so I assume we follow the trail they left going back to camp. If he was smart, he would have gone the way he came, not wanting us to know where the camp was. You can tell that the vermin that left was wounded...see here, blood on this leaf; he was not going the right direction." She smiled, and Piper looked over at Nightfire triumphantly as her friend continued speaking. "See, it is obvious that they came a different way to Redwall, trying to make us think their camp was down there, but the one that left was wounded and did not care."
Meryoran looked at the tracks with some confusion. "How do you know that he was going to his camp, and wasn't just so wounded that he forgot which way the camp was? Or maybe they were setting a trap for us thinking we would follow the wounded one..." Her voice trailed off as she saw the others staring at her, "Sorry....I'm new to all this war business..."
Maybelle smiled. "Because the only thing that way is a gorge. Piper and I passed it on our way here."
She looked at Piper, who nodded agreement. "We did. It is pretty long, and besides, why wouldn't he go back to camp? He would; it's his duty!"
Nightfire shook her head and smiled. "Well, I guess ye are a good enough tracker. Pinetail, ye kin scout ahead if ye wish. Zara, go with 'im."
Zara Lightfur saluted, her reddish-furred paws striking an odd contrast with her sand-coloured body. "Aye, Lady, ah shall. Let's git a-goin', Pinetail."
Pinetail saluted smartly and bounded up into a tree. "Come on, Zara, it's faster this way,"
Zara chuckled. "Och, o' course et is." She bounded over and was up the tree like a whirlwind, flicking her bushy tail at him. "Ah may be ah Highlander, but ah know 'ow tae climb trees!"

Maybelle went back to Rowanblade, and Piper watched her friend go, speaking to Nightfire proudly. "I told you she was amazing. She spent most of the time with me being tracker!"

Zara bounded alongside Pinetail, then suddenly noticed a thin trail of smoke. "Look! O'er there! Ah do believe et's fire!"
Pinetail followed her gaze. "Let's take a closer look, but be careful. It might be a trap." Zara grinned at him and pulled twin dirks out of her belt, clenching one between her teeth, and holding the other. She started to climb carefully towards the fire.
Pinetail advanced swiftly beside her, then spoke quietly. "I'll make a sweep and come from behind." He pulled out his dirks and set off.
Zara nodded, then crept closer. It was two vermin hunched around a campfire, and she realized that it was, indeed, a trap. She quickly cast about, spotting another vermin hiding in the bushes. She imitated a sparrow's warning call to let Pinetail know what was happening, then started moving back away from the fire to go and warn Nightfire.

Pinetail heard the warning and used the same call, he made his way back to Nightfire quickly, on guard for any other vermin.

Zara backed up slowly until she thought she was sufficiently far enough, then whirled around....banging headfirst into a tall ferret! She yelled something less than complimentary, then stabbed at it with her dirk. The ferret quickly dodged and threw a massive punch, catching her square in the jaw, knocking her unconscious. He disarmed the Highland squirrel, then grabbed her and carried her off, knowing that the wearat would be pleased that they now had a captive.

Pinetail bounded into the goodbeast's camp and made his report to Nightfire. When he finished, he looked around the group, then said: "Have you seen Zara anywhere? She should already be here."
Piper had been talking to Nightfire when Pinetail came up, and she looked at him. "No, she is not here yet, but she should be, right? I mean soon, Nightfire?"
The Squirrelqueen clacked her teeth in worry. "Zara's ne'er late. Don't know why she's takin' so long."

Meanwhile, the ferret had tied her up securely and was dragging her into their camp, dumping her unceremoniously in front of the wearat. "My lord, I caught this beast skulking about your camp. A spy from the black squirrel, methinks."
Slayyin Alby prodded Zara with one footpaw, and she snapped her teeth at him, narrowly missing. He kicked her. "Bring her to me seer an' see if anybeast kin get any information from 'er."
The ferret nodded, then went off.
Pinetail adjusted his belt, trying not to show his worry. "Hmmm, she might be following one of the vermin. We'll just have to wait and see." And with that, he leaned against a tree with his weapons ready and his senses alert.

Saria was sitting in her tent, sipping a beaker of damson wine in silence, when a large ferret shoved aside the curtain. She almost dropped her wine in surprise when she noticed he held the scruff of a tightly bound, angry-looking, female squirrel in one, huge paw. The white vixen quickly regained her composure and fixed her narrow amber eyes on the beast. "What is this creature ye have brought before me, ferret?"
He sneered at her. "A squirrel, addlebrain, wot d'you tink it was?"
The vixen glared at him. "I know that! What is it doing here?"
"Master said to bring 'er to ye. 'E wanted you ta question it."
"Ahh..." Saria let out a long sigh, annoyed. "Is that so? Well, all ye had to do was tell me. I'll take care of it."
The ferret dropped the squirrel in front of the white fox, then exited the tent quickly. Saria spread her arms wide. "So then, squirrel, it seems we are going to be in each other's company for a bit. Is there anything I can get ye? Food? Wine?"
Zara Lightfur glared at Saria, and spat on the beast. "Nay, whit ye kin dae fair mah 'twould be tae oontie mah so ah kin murder yeh!!"
Saria gave a long sigh as she daintily wiped off her footpaw, almost sounding apologetic. "Alas, my dear squirrel, that cannot be done." She placed her damson wine aside. "But, should ye wish to give me any information on your companions at the Abbey, I would be more than happy to listen."
Zara twitched her ears slightly, grinding her teeth loudly. "Yeh scairt bairn o' a roonty snekfeesh!!! Nightfire'll et yeh alaive!!"

Back at camp, Piper was looking for Maybelle when she started to see that the maid hung out too much with this Rowanblade. "Maybelle, come on! We need you," she whispered to her as they walked away. "Look, Maybelle, I am happy you love Rowanblade, but you need to pay more attention to your work, okay?"
"Piper, how could you say such a thing? Did I not lead you on the right trail? Did I not tell you that there is a vermin watching our camp?"
"What vermin? Tell quickly!" Piper said in a hushed, annoyed tone.
"Okay, there is a rat watching us right now. See, I told you. He is right there," she pointed at an obvious rat form hiding in the bushes.
Piper went quickly to Nightfire and told her. Pinetail had heard everything that Maybelle had said, he casually went out of camp, swiftly making his way behind the rat. He hit him on the skull with his dirk hilt, and, dragging the captive up to Nightfire, he tossed the rat onto the ground and spoke emotionlessly. "This one is still alive."

Georgie ran out into a clearing, sneezing. "Am I too late? Has anything started yet?" Then she looked around, and her tail drooped. There wasn't anyone here - she had gone to the wrong side of the Abbey! Plodding off into Mossflower Wood, she walked here and there, just wanting some time alone to think.

Piper had a great sense of hearing, and she went of into the woods and found the mousemaid quickly. "Georgie, what are you doing here? We are all back at camp. Come on!"
"Camp?" Georgie followed Piper back, confused. "And where's that supposed to be?"
Meryoran saw them coming, and she rushed towards them. "There you are, Georgie! I thought you must have stayed behind, but now with Zara gone, I started getting worried. Where have you been?"
"She was just wandering in the woods with a vermin camp somewhere near; nothing much," Piper said, unconcerned.
Georgie looked down at the ground, shamefaced. "Sorry," she mumbled, and sneezed again. "I'm sorry."
Nightfire, however, was getting impatient, not even noticing Georgie's arrival. "That's it, if Zara's not back in ten minutes, I'm goin' after her!"

Saria, meanwhile was surprised at Zara's boldness, but, somehow, she managed to keep her smug smile on her face. "But, my friend, this 'Nightfire' of yours is not here at the moment, so she cannot very well be eating me, can she now?" The vixen was quickly running out of comebacks to Zara's angry tirades; she was used to sniveling goodbeasts on their knees, begging for their lives. This squirrel was something else entirely.
Zara flicked her ears, not bothering to reply, then lunged, sinking her sharp teeth into the Seer's footpaw.
Saria gave a painful shriek. "Aagh! Get this filthy creature off of me!"
A scrawny fox stumbled into the tent, worried and bewildered. "Eh...ye called, marm?"
"Don't just stand there, you addlebrained idiot! Get this thing off of me!"
The fox looked embarrassed. "Er...right." He tentatively prodded the squirrel with his spear.
Saria decided to take initiative, seeing how timid the other fox was. She yanked forward her footpaw roughly, screaming again as she managed to rip it out of the crazed squirrel's mouth. Her footpaw was bleeding tremendously, and a claw had been torn out.

In the squirrel band's part of the woods, Piper heard the scream. "This way! I heard somebeast scream! Did you hear it, Maybelle?"
"Yes, I did. It came from that way!" She pointed through the woods.
"Isn't that the direction that Pinetail and Zara were scouting?" Meryoran asked.
The three looked at each other in surprise, then ran to report to the Squirrelqueen. Piper was the first to speak. "Nightfire, we heard a scream out there, where Zara and Pinetail were!"
Pintail spoke next. "Zara has either been captured, or she fighting some foebeasts. What do ye think Nightfire?" He started stroking his tail and concentrated on thinking.
Nightfire unsheathed her dirk, gritting her teeth with a determined look in her eyes. "Right, let's go. She's either in danger and is screaming like a cowardly fox, or she's beating up some foebeasts and not savin' any fer me!"

Meanwhile, Zara grinned wickedly, the fox's blood dripping out of her mouth and making the Highlander look demonic. "Thaet bee whit yaeh gaet faer messin' wi' a Haihlander!!"
Saria held a clump of moss against her bleeding footpaw, glaring venomously at the squirrel, but she was currently at a loss for words.

Georgie tried to keep up, but she tripped over a tree root and fell flat on her face. She picked herself up and ran after Piper, following her through the wood. "What are we going to do when we find her?"
We will help her," the squirrel replied. "Do you have weapon?" The mousemaid shook her head. "Then here, take my sabre, but be careful. I would give you my vermin cutlass, but it would drag you down to the ground. Remember: long, purposeful strides, and watch your feet. You will become a warrior in no time." She ran on, not looking back after giving the maid her weapon. She took out her poisoned dagger and ran quickly.
The young mouse grabbed the sabre, giving it a few experimental swings. She had never thought that becoming a warrior would involve this much...running. "Georgie, come on! I can see smoke! Not too much farther, it's just around this tree! Where did Nightfire go?"
"How am I supposed to know?" Georgie snapped back, a little miffed. All everyone wanted to know was where Nightfire was, or what she was doing. She sneezed again, and then gave a little cough.
"Georgie, how could you?" Piper said as the vermin who heard her came up, swinging their weapons and snarling. "Come on!" she said, grabbing Georgie and the sabre, then dashing through the trees.
"Sorry! I just...can't...hold...it...in!" She sneezed again.

The Highland squirrel ripped savagely at her bonds, freeing herself, then retrieved her weapons, staring down coldly at the seer. "Ye're days o' cowardice be o'er!" She gave a mighty lunge, grabbing her twin dirks and aiming at the vixen's heart.
Saria had only time for one last screech of terror before the blades of Zara Lightfur pierced her chest. She fell to the ground, slain, her snow white fur now stained by crimson blood.

Nightfire, who previously had been keeping a low profile, charged into the vermin camp in a full Bloodwrath rage, yelling madly. "Yayalaho!!! Today is the day to tremble, for the Nightslayer is here! Vermin, shake in your fur! YAYALAHOOOO!!!" She slew five vermin with one long flurry of moves, then charged towards the wearat. Slayyin Alby met her head on, his eyes blazing with bloodlust as well. They fought like a pair of crazed wolverines, hacking and slashing madly at each other.
Piper heard the commotion and hurried back over to the camp, seeing Nightfire battling the wearat. She leapt into the fray, yelling her warcry. "Death to all! Daaannnoor!!!!" She ran in and killed any vermin who came close to her with her vermin cutlass, then the scrawny fox from before ran in, swinging a club.
She received a sharp blow to the head, then, suddenly, she was not in a realm of darkness, but in a place of light. Piper was walking along a path in a shadowy wood, and a young, male squirrel was walking beside her. He was handsome, and had an amazing smile on his face as he looked at Piper as if she was the only thing in the world.  "Dannor! Oh, Dannor, I have missed you so much! Why did you leave? I needed you! Oh, Dannor!" She flung herself on him and hugged him.
"It is okay, Piper, I will always be with you. I told you that, didn't I?" he asked, looking at her.
"Yes, you did, but you left me alone with Maybelle. Oh, I wish I did not have to go. Why can they not leave me here with you? I was so lonely!" She started to cry.
"Piper, you will see me again forever and always when you come to the gates of Dark Forest. Hear me now, I will see you again!" He went into a darker glade, through a black, metal gateway to the forest beyond. "I will always be with you!" he said, then he disappeared into the forest.
Try as she might, Piper could not go through the gate. Some strange, unknown force was holding her back. His words rang in her ears. "I will see you again..."

Maybelle was with Rowanblade as they entered the chaotic camp. She started slaying vermin with her short sword, not seeing Piper go down. She had just killed a weasel when two more came up. She started fighting them, but they came on so strong that Rowanblade had to come to help her.
In anther part of the camp, Ambriya ran smack bang into Kannetar Maleris! The squirrel slashed out with her twin swords, yelling madly. "Hawaaaay the braaaaaw!"
Kannetar realized that she needed to get out of there, and tried to run, but Ambriya threw her blade, and it caught the ferret in the back.

Nightfire was battling for her life against the wearat, and Slayyin Alby was gaining the upper paw due to his sheer brute strength. And he knew it. The vicious beast suddenly lunged, catching the black squirrel right in the head with his cutlass. Nightfire gasped, then fell backwards, unconscious. Grinning evilly, the wearat started to bring his blade down...then there was an odd sound, then a sharp prick to his flesh.
Puzzled, the beast looked down at the brightly-coloured, tufted dart that was sticking into his paw. He began convulsing, roaring with pain, then it was all over. The great wearat lay dead, the adder poison having killed him instantly. Jjenth Northrunn went over to Nightfire, dropping the blowpipe on the ground as he picked up the unconscious squirrel. He threw his head back and shouted at the top of his voice. "It's over! The wearat is dead! Eulaliaaaaaa!!!!"
Abruptly, the fighting stopped, and the vermin stared at him blankly. Jjenth bared his teeth savagely, completely without mercy. "Kill them!" With a will, the band of Northern squirrels washed over the vermin like a tidal wave, and the hare kept yelling. "Eulaliaaaaaa!!! Eeeaayrraaaaahh!!!!" The sound of the time-honoured, Salamandastron warcry mingled with the cry of the Northern squirrels, making the hair of everybeast present stand on end.
Zara walked out from the tent where the dead seer lay, helping him support Nightfire. Together, the two friends carried the Nightslayer back to Redwall Abbey.

Maybelle and Rowanblade carried Piper back carefully with the help of some other squirrels. They took her into the abbey and up to the infirmary, where they were soon shooed out by some nurses. Piper's head wound was horrible; it was still bleeding, and the massive cut had made it so that she could talk, but not hear she was talking to someone about things that she said happened a while ago.

Meryoran sighed, looking around at the carnage, then dropped her weapons. "The battlefield is no place for me." She ran after the others into the infirmary to help Sister Willow with the wounded. When she got there, Piper was muttering about someone called Dannor. She leaned over to clean her wounds, speaking gently. "Relax, Piper, you're in safe hands."
But it was as though she wasn't even there. Piper just kept on muttering about Dannor...

Zara was beside herself, and she approached Meryoran.. "Ah kill't thaet seerbeast. Whill Nightfire be ahlright?"
"She will be alright, I believe. Her wounds are terrible, but, with time, she should recover."

Piper was slowly waking up. Dannor had now gone into the darker glade, and she could no longer hear him. She opened her eyes and found herself at Redwall Abbey with a bandage over her entire head. "What happened? Did we win?" she asked Maybelle, who had not left her side since she had come to the infirmary.
"Yes, we did, and I have great news! You are recovering faster than they had expected, and I am getting married to Rowanblade! Nightfire is okay, and, thankfully, we did not receive too many casualties."
"I knew you two would end up getting married." Piper smiled wanly at her friend.
Meryoran came over to them. "I'm excited for you, Maybelle, but I think it's about time for you to leave Piper. She'll need rest if she is to recover fully. How do you feel, Piper?"
"Like I have never felt pain before in my life, and yet I feel somehow relieved!" She looked at her through her bandage that hung halfway over her eyes

Meryoran fixed her bandage up a little better. "I'll see what I can find for the pain, but I don't understand why you would feel relieved. Is it because the battle is over?"
Pinetail walks up before Piper could reply. "Friar Perry says that it's time for a feast." His face breaks into a grin and he marches off jauntily.
Meryoran chuckled, turning to Zara and Maybelle. "You two go on down and enjoy yourselves. I'll take care of Nightfire and Piper."
Maybelle nodded and left slowly, but Zara disobeyed, staying by Nightfire's side, then Piper answered Meryoran's question. "I saw an old friend somewhere. He said that I would see him again at the end."
Outside the infirmary, Maybelle had had her ear pressed to the door, and she heard what Piper said. She had also heard her friend's mumblings when she was unconscious. The words brought a tear to her eye as she walked along the corridor.
Meryoran brought over a cup. "Here, this tea should help with the pain." She watched as Piper sipped at it, then spoke gently. "Was it Dannor? You were muttering something about him before you awoke."
"I did?" she asked, looking at her nurse. "He is Maybelle's brother, and my-!" she broke down, crying into her pillow.
On the other side of the infirmary, Nightfire's eyes blinked open slowly, and she saw Meryoran. "Uhh..." she groaned. "Where's Slayyin Alby? Did I kill 'im?"
The mouse stood and moved so she could be between both of their beds. "Slayyin Alby is dead, although I don't know how he died. How do you feel?"
Nightfire ground her teeth, ignoring the question. "Who killed 'im? Twasn't me, I kin tell ye that!"
"Are they all dead, the worthless scum?" Piper asked.
"From what I understand, the squirrels took care of them all." She handed Piper a handkerchief and leaned in to speak quietly so that no one else could hear. "If you ever want to talk about Dannor, or anything else, I'll be here. Just let me know."
Piper smiled at her gratefully and wiped her eyes. "Dannor was Maybelle's brother, and my lover. He was killed right before my eyes! He was bound to a stake, and was looking straight at me as the vermin Amero Deo slit his throat. I still have yet to find him, but I swore to Dannor on his dying breath that I would kill him. If not me, then someone else, but Amero Deo would not die of old age."
Meryoran was quiet for a moment, tears filling her eyes, then spoke. "Have you and Maybelle been searching for him? Is that why you came here?"

"Maybelle is not, but I am. She was only a little squirrel, and she hardly remembers him, but I have been searching for Amero ever since he dropped us into a ravine and let us float away. But I know Maybelle will soon not be with me. She is going away to be with what I once had and never shall have again!" Piper looked out the window into the sky. "Amero vanished beyond the sea, and Dannor shall never be avenged now. I have failed him."
Nightfire leaned up in the bed, catching Zara's attention. "Lightfur, who killed the wearat?!"
The Highlander saluted. "T'were Jjenth, Lady Nightfire. 'E shot Slayyin Alby wi' one o' yaer blowdarts."
The Squirrelqueen ground her teeth in anger. "I vowed to kill 'im, an' now my vengeance is cheated!"
Meryoran looked over with some exasperation. "I highly doubt Jjenth could have gotten that shot in without your help. Therefore, without you, then the wearat would still be alive. Now please, relax. You won't heal properly if you don't get some rest!" She sighed at the black squirrel, then turned to Zara. "Didn't I tell you to go down and enjoy the feast? How about you go down and bring up some food for the five of us, if you won't stay away for longer than five seconds."
Rooke opened the infirmary door, gasping when he saw Nightfire laying on a bed, injured. "Nightfire! I'm so sorry! Sister Violet keeps tellin' me I'm not healed proper, an' I can't leave this wretched abbey 'til I am." He sighed. "Ye'd think a chopped off rudder wouldn't keep a beast down this long..." Rooke quieted down, seeing that he had burst in at an awkward time, then sat down on the black squirrel's bed with her. "Now, Nightfire," the young river otter murmured gently. "There were a great many of us creatures who wanted to kill that wearat. Asides, ye couldn't 'ave killed 'im; 'e was about to kill you!"
Nightfire clenched tightly to the sides of the bed with her paws, ignoring him. "Where're my weapons? I want my longbow an' dirk, now!"
Zara shrugged at Meryoran. "Don' worry, she ain't aboot tae dae anythin' crazy. Jes' git her 'er weapons."
"Very well," Meryoran replied doubtfully as she handed the weapons to Nightfire...but making sure that the arrows themselves were just out of the squirrel's reach.
Rooke's eyes widened, worried about the weapons. He had never had to deal with a beast overcome with the Bloodwrath before, but he placed a friendly, yet firm paw around her shoulder. "Now, Nightfire, let's think this over first. There's nothin' ye could've done. Don' take it out on Jjenth. It's not his fault."
She glanced at Rooke. "Don't worry, I'm not about to kill Jjenth, or anythin' stupid like that. Besides, if I killed the hare, then I'd lose my band's alliance with Lord Stoneoak. The last thing I need is to 'ave a badger lord as an enemy." She laid the longbow across her lap, then took her dirk and set the tip of the blade against a plain section of the wood. She gently tapped on the hilt of the dirk, and began carving a detailed depiction of Slayyin Alby being killed by Jjenth, a dart sticking out of him. "This bow is a record o' my life," she said aloud as the carving took on a lifelike appearance.
Rooke glanced at Meryoran uncertainly, and the Squirrelqueen saw the look that passed between them. "I have recorded every important event of my life onto this longbow, whether it be good or bad. O' course, I don't know how accurate this is, because Jjenth isn't 'ere to tell me."
"I'm glad you have something good to draw this time," Meryoran said, hoping Nightfire would agree and not continue on about being cheated. The Squirrelqueen was silent, so she shrugged, then looked at Piper again, wondering how to comfort her...or if there even was a way. "You said you saw Dannor?"
The mousemaid nodded. "Yes, I saw him. He was talking to me, telling me how he would always be with me, and that I would see him again. Then he left, and I woke up here. Do not worry; I am fine. I guess I just need some food."
Something had changed about Piper; she was no longer grim. It must have been how she remembered that he said she would see him again. Her face lit up and her heart sang at the thought of seeing her dear Dannor again and being with him always. She was no longer afraid she would die without killing Amero, for something told her he was already dead. That was actually true, for his ship had been sunk by a band of otters two seasons ago.
In an attempt to get everyone's mind off of the battle, Meryoran spoke excitedly. "Rooke! I hear there's a feast downstairs! How about you scout it out and bring us back a detailed description of the events, and proof in the form of food!" She then spoke to Piper. "Perhaps he meant that it's all right to go on living. You know, you would be welcome to stay here at Redwall if you like."
"That's a splendid idea, Meryoran. Well, I'll be goin' then..."
"Oh, Nightfire, I'm not sure if you know...Maybelle and Rowanblade are getting wed sometime soon," Piper said, in a way, trying not to spring it on her suddenly.
Nightfire smiled. "Good, it's about time. Rowanblade's been far too dreamy lately. I suppose I'll thank Jjenth fer killin' Slayyin later, when I see him. Now, help me stand, will ye, Zara? I don't want to miss out on this grand feast we're havin.'"
Meryoran glared at her with mock severity. "Oh, no you don't! Like I said earlier, you need rest, or you won't heal properly. You may be a Squirrelqueen, but in the infirmaries, then MY word is law! Rooke will bring us a description of the feast, and believe me, the celebrating will still be going when you're well enough to stand!"
Georgie poked her head around the door innocently before Nightfire could reply. "What did I miss?" Then she stumbled and fell, a dagger stuck in her side.
Rooke had just come in behind her, and he rushed over to the fallen mousemaid. He quickly withdrew the dagger from her side. "Georgie! Talk to me! What 'appened?"
"Quick, get her over on this bed!" Meryoran said, rushing around, getting bandages and other supplies.
"I...got lost," the mouse said. "And a rat attacked me...from the side. I didn't see him until it was too late, because a tree branch had hurt my eye." Her eye was swollen and puffy. "And now I can't see on that side. What's going to happen to me, Meryoran?"
"Oh, goodness! Georgie, you will be fine as soon as she takes care of you," Piper said, trying not to sound too worried. Nightfire sat, helpless, on the infirmary bed, knowing she couldn't do anything, and it grieved her to see the harmless, little maid so injured.
"We are going to save you, Georgie, but you need to lie still." Meryoran turned to Zara. "Quickly, go find Sister Willow and the Abbess. I'm going to need all the help I can get. Just make sure you do so quietly so that you don't attract too much attention. I know they would mean well, but having all the abbeybeasts crowding in here to check on Georgie isn't going to help her at all."
The Highlander nodded, zooming off, then, moments later, Zara rushed back in with the Abbess and Sister Willow in tow.    "Oh, thank goodness! I need your help, Sister! I'm not sure how to save her!" Meryoran exclaimed.
The Sister hurried over and examined her, "I think we can save her life if we work quickly, but I'm not sure about that eye."
"Oh, what's an eye as long as she's safe?" the Abbess said.
"Well, she's not safe yet." And with that, the three went to work, trying to save the young mousemaid...

Later that night, Abbess Violet, Sister Willow, and Meryoran sat around the infirmary, exhausted from their efforts to save Georgie, who lay unconscious on the bed. "What do you think her chances of survival are now, Willow?" asked the Abbess.
The Sister sighed deeply. "She'll live...but she'll never see out of that eye again."
"The poor thing," Meryoran murmured. "So young..."
"Yes, she's young," Violet said sternly. "That means she has time to learn how to live with just one eye." The Abbess yawned. "I should probably get some sleep now. Tomorrow, we're holding a funeral for those who fell in battle. I recommend you two get some sleep, too."
"You go on, Sister Willow. I'll stay here and keep an eye on these three." Meryoran said.

Hours later, Georgie blinked her eye and opened it to see Meryoran looking down at her. She swallowed. "Meryoran, what happened? Am I going to be okay?"
"You're going to be fine, Georgie. Sister Willow said so! How do you feel?"
"I feel like I have a whopping headache," she responded. "And I can't see anything on my right side. Why's that?"
"Remember you were hit by a tree branch in that eye? Here, let me get you some tea...that may help with the headache." She wasn't sure how to tell Georgie she would never see out that eye again.
Piper spoke to the injured mousemaid. "Georgie..." she paused, then decided to give it to her straight. "Georgie, I am sorry to say you will never see out of that eye again. I am so sorry, but at least you are alive."
Georgie swallowed. "Ever again?" She paused, a little frightened. "You're right, it's good that I am alive. Thanks to you, everyone."
Piper got of her bed and went over and hugged the little maid (on her good side, of course.) "Georgie, dear, it will be fine. You can see out of one of your eyes, and you have good friends-" before Piper could finish, Maybelle burst into the infirmary.
"Where is she? I was told Georgie was in here. Ah, Georgie, there you are. I have some great news for a certain little maid...can you guess?"
Georgie was puzzled. "Um...no. What is it?"
"I'm getting married! Piper is the maid of honor, of course, but you are a bridesmaid. What do you think? Oh please, say yes. Please?" Maybelle said, looking at her pleadingly.
Nightfire, meanwhile, was sitting on the truckle bed with her longbow and dirk, staring listlessly at the carving she had made. "Is something wrong, Nightfire?" Piper asked, concerned.
Maybelle looked over. "Oh, Nightfire, of course, you are a bridesmaid too! Do not worry about that!"
"Shhhhh," Piper hissed at her, annoyed. "Nightfire, what is wrong?" she asked again.
Nightfire looked up at them, seeming to snap out of her trance somewhat. "Me, a bridesmaid? Are ye forgettin' that yer talkin' to a Bloodwrath-possessed, berserk squirrel? I'll just be the escort." She gave a hoarse laugh, then turned to Piper. "There's not too much wrong, it's just that I...I miss my homeland. It's been a very long time since I last saw the Northland Border, an' I kinda miss the head-deep snows and blasting winds, if'n ye kin believe that."
Ambriya sidled away towards the door, not bothering to worry about the Squirrelqueen. "Ye ain't maykin' me a bridesmaid, nae, nae! Ah'm sorry, Maybelle, mah fren.'"
"Of course you won't be! That would defeat the purpose of a wedding party organizer, wouldn't it?" Maybelle said matter-of-factly, walking around aimlessly.
"Well, as soon as you recover, marm, I would..." Piper started to say hesitantly, then trailed off.
Nightfire looked up sharply at her. "Yes, missie? Did ye need somethin?'" She slung her longbow over her back, then thrust the dirk into her adderskin belt, disregarding her injuries.
"I-I-I...was wondering if, since...um...since Maybelle is getting married and all, if I could...umm...if I could...umm...join...your...band?" she finally asked, looking quickly at the floor.
The black Squirrelqueen grinned at her. "Well, o' course ye kin, if'n that's what ye want." She stood unsteadily, then held out one, sinewy paw to shake. "I'd love to have ye in my band."
Piper sighed in relief and shook the paw, grimacing at the strong grip, but she decided to squeeze harder than the Squirrelqueen.
Nightfire laughed, letting go, then walked slowly out from the infirmary, aided by Zara, who was trying to not be noticed by Maybelle. "Your first job as one o' my squirrels is to escort me down to the orchards and ward off any persistent doctors. The longer I spend up here surrounded by medicines, the more I think I'm goin' to go crazy."
Piper did so, and as soon as they were out in the abbey grounds, Nightfire unslung her longbow and used it to lean on instead. Ambriya smiled as she bent down and retrieved a cap that had fallen off a dead vermin. It had a small, colourful feather in it. The red squirrel donned the cap, and turned to Nightfire. 'Should ah give the order tae march, lady?'
The black squirrel chuckled. "Ye pilferer. Leave the dead to rest, why don't ye?" She threw back her head and let loose the haunting cry to order. "Eeeeehhhaaaayraaahhh!!!!"
Her band snapped to attention. "We march for the North and for home, by brave warriors! Step out bravely, will ye?" They all cheered, and the Squirrelqueen headed out at the lead of her band with Ambriya to her right and Zara to her left, singing at the tops of their lungs.

"See the smoke curl from the chimney,
An' the mat beside the door,
On the path there stands the family,
Like you left 'em long before.

Home returning, home returning,
Seasons gone an' young uns grown,
Back to those I call my own!

There the fire burns and the ale brews,
An' the bread bakes soft an' brown,
While my friends wait with the good news,
Bring my chair an' sit me down.

Comes the warrior from the war,
Home to wander nevermore!"

Pinetail sang out loud as he marched near the front of the band, feeling the excitement of adventure upon him

Georgie got up and ran over to the window to watch the travelers go. She waved at their retreating forms with both paws, not sure if they could see her or not. She cupped her hands around her mouth and yelled as loud as she could: "REDWAAAAAAAAALL!"
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Skipper

wow, that took along time to read, i remember posting that part with zara when we searched he camp :)

Nightfire

Yeah, this thing sure did bring back awesome memories for me. I loved that part where Zara and Pinetail went through the trees, scouting out that camp. :)

Mad Maudie

cool took me forever but cool! and i think i made  a few mistakes that you copied and i think i made piper a little too dramatic but still awesome!
Cause you are the piece of me I wish I didn't need
Chasing relentlessly and I don't know why
If our love's tragedy why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity why are you my clarity?
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~

Nightfire

Don't worry. While everyone else was talking about feasting and fighting, then your characters added a nice twist to the grim plotline. Yeah, I may have accidentally copied a few mistakes. You could always PM me which ones so that I can edit it.