News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Phantom of the Opera

Started by Søren, March 26, 2012, 08:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Søren

I'm wondering who here likes the Phantom of the Opera, mainly the movie (2003, with Gerard Butler as the Phantom) not the plays although if you want to include them in your comments that would be great!

I'm retired from the forum

Dannflower Reguba

Do you read The Guardians of Ga'hoole? Just wondering cause your name is shared with the heroe from those books.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Søren

Yes, but I have this post about the Phantom of the Opera, but is you would like to talk about Guardians let me know.

I'm retired from the forum

Lily

Ah, musicals... I love them, and The Phantom of the Opera is one of my favourites. I have to say, I don't like the film and I can't hear the recording without cringing, but I will admit that it's a good way to get people exposed to the musical. I'm much more a fan of the stage musical, myself.

Have you only seen the movie? I highly recommend watching the 25th anniversary production if you haven't seen it yet. It has its own problems, but it's the closest thing there is to a taped stage version. Unless you count bootlegs. :P

My favourite Phantom is Anthony Warlow. I'll let his voice speak for itself:

Icefire

I love the movie! Unfortunately, it's the only production I've seen of the musical.

Lily, you sound like me with Les Misérables! With Les Mis, I prefer listening to the 10th anniversary edition, but if I'm introducing people to the musical I have them watch the 25th as it is easier to follow.

Is Anthony Warlow in the 25th? I can tell he'd be an awesome Phantom!
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Lily

Quote from: Icefire on March 28, 2012, 06:07:26 AM
Is Anthony Warlow in the 25th? I can tell he'd be an awesome Phantom!
Anthony Warlow was one of the Phantoms that performed at the end of the concert. He's our Australian Phantom. :) I was lucky enough to see him live twice (after seeing both of his understudies!)

Skip to about 2:13 for the singing. Incidentally, John Owen-Jones (the one next to Anthony Warlow) is another one of my favourite Phantoms. I've never seen him live, though. :(

Quote from: Icefire on March 28, 2012, 06:07:26 AM
Lily, you sound like me with Les Misérables! With Les Mis, I prefer listening to the 10th anniversary edition, but if I'm introducing people to the musical I have them watch the 25th as it is easier to follow.
I agree, I like the 10th anniversary version of Les Mis better, I think the cast as a whole worked well. I disagreed with a few of the stunt casting choices they made with the 25th anniversary... I still loved it, though!

Icefire

COLM WILKINSON AND JOHN OWEN-JONES?!?!?!?!?!?!  WHY IS VALJEAN IN PHANTOM OF THE OPERA???????  ??? Apparently it hasn't really sunk in that people can perform in more than one musical! :D Wow! I liked 3 of the 4 phantoms! I must say though that Sarah Brightman's voice hasn't improved with age.  :P I only watched through Phantom of the Opera. I'll come back and listen to the Music of the Night later.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Soren the Warrior on March 27, 2012, 02:23:03 PM
Yes, but I have this post about the Phantom of the Opera, but is you would like to talk about Guardians let me know.
Just in case you haven't found it, I started a topic on the Guardians.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Lutra

The only Phantom that I like is the one and only original - Michael Crawford.  That Gerard Butler guy had way too gruff a voice for an opera.  :o
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Icefire

WOW! Anthony Warlow, John Owen-Jones, and Colm Wilkinson! I wish I could see each of them in the role! I didn't like that 4th guy, though. :P
I'm not a big fan of Michael Crawford in the role of Phantom. His voice seems to weak for the role to me. I did find it odd that they didn't have him sing at the end with the other Phantoms.

Lily

@Lutra - The gruffness was only part of the myriad of problems with Gerard Butler's voice... apologies to anyone who likes his voice, but I prefer it when the Phantom actually fits the angel of music role. His voice should make your soul "soar".

@Icefire - The 4th guy is Peter Jöback, he just took over the role from Earl Carpenter on the West End. I had issues with his performance at the concert too, though early reports say he's doing pretty well on the West End. In my opinion, he just couldn't compare with the likes of Anthony Warlow and John Owen-Jones.

Icefire

Exactly!
I showed my mom that video of Anthony Warlow and she immediately had me google-ing whether or not he still plays the phantom and where we could see him. We were both disappointed to find out he's in something completely different now.
I'm still trying to convince her that seeing it at the Venetian would be a good idea, too! ;D

Lily

I think it's closing soon at the Venetian, you should definitely go and see it!

You and your mum would have to go to Australia to see Warlow perform, he doesn't perform much elsewhere. He's currently playing Daddy Warbucks in Annie, which I'm very sad that I can't see. He still has some albums available, which I highly recommend. :) I'd start with The Best of Act One, it contains the best tracks off his other CDs. Of course, I recommend buying all of his albums, but that's just me. ;) The concept recording of Jekyll and Hyde is amazing too.

Icefire

I closes in September, but I doubt we'll be able to afford it. I'll keep looking into it, though.

Hm, I'll have to see if I can get those at the library. (I rarely buy cds without borrowing it at the library first.)

Lutra

Quote from: Lily on April 01, 2012, 03:40:08 AM
@Lutra - The gruffness was only part of the myriad of problems with Gerard Butler's voice... apologies to anyone who likes his voice, but I prefer it when the Phantom actually fits the angel of music role. His voice should make your soul "soar".

Well not only that but if you're in an opera, well you better be able to sing, role aside. ;)  That's kind of the number one thing with an opera.  Butler did not have a voice that is fit for an opera.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra