News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Danderson Dettenick Dorranfair

Started by MatthiasMan, April 14, 2012, 10:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MatthiasMan

Prologue

Danderson Dettenick Dorranfair was on his way to the Eastern Sea. The birds chirped in the quiet morning air. The dew on the grass wet his paws until it gave him a cold. As he passed an oak tree he spotted an owl coming back from his nightly hunting. All was quiet. He was about 5 leagues from Redwall Abbey. With the haversack of food slung across his back, and his bow and arrow at the ready for any nearby trouble, he quietly walked east. After the the morning was gone, and Danderson could see the sun above his head. He then came to a clearing of hills and grass. At the the foot of the first hill he decided it was time for lunch. He pulled a flagon of Strawberry Cordial out of his pack, along with a hard, dried out scone from the morning, and a hotroot deeper n' ever pie the Redwall Friar had given him for the journey. Unlike most hare's, Danderson had trained himself to resist the urge to eat more than necessary.  He mumbled to himself while he ate his rations.

"Mmff, mmmf. Wonder when I'll jolly well get there. Mmff. Ain't right for a chap to travel this far alone. Mmfhhmm."

He happily ate on, but little did he know that two pairs of eyes were watching from afar.

Chapter 1

On the east coast night had fallen. Two corsair ships were leaving the beach and heading out to Gandermin, a flourishing Island with the smell of vermin and searats. Spartin, a searat, and the captain of the Portanin was on his way to his ship. Triple masted with triple decks, the outside had been painted dark red, almost to the color of blood, and had twenty-five cannons on each side. After being damaged in a pirate raid, Spartin had landed on the edge of Mossflower Wood. The Portanin had been punctured with many holes, and a deep gash in the port side. A searat captain named Ultrun came up to Spartin.

"Capn', your ship is fixed and ready to sail the high seas again."
"Excellent. The scouts are back and reported in?"
"Yes Capn'."

Ultrun stood, there, Spartin's patience swelling. Spartin yelled at him.

"Well?"
"Oh, er.. The scouts collected rations and fresh water Capn'. Everything is now fully supplied and ready for full sail..."
"Bring me the scouts."
"Yes sir."

Ultrun answered with a squeak. He scurried off to fetch the scouts. Knowing his boss, Spartin was a cruel and deadly beast. Anyone who crossed him was dead before that could beg for mercy.

Meanwhile, at Gandermin, a meeting was held at Fort Carnan. A little castle in the middle of the island was the base of Slynick, a sturdy and sinewy fox. He was armed with a battle axe, and throwing knives. Carnan, was a well hid, underground castle, where Slynick and his minions lived. They killed any invaders or took slaves of the young. Only his minions knew the way in the island, and out. Any false moves on the island, a deadly trap awaited. In Carnan, at the bottom floor, all gathered round at the oak table, filled with many good vittles and tucker. Slynick The Fox, was at the end of the table. He was dressed in a red tunic and and a black belt. His followers were at the table, discussing amongst themselves. A variety of animals, from ferrets, to foxes, to wildcat's were all dressed in dark blue robes. When Slynick waved his paw in the air, all fell silent, then he spoke.

"I have called you all here to announce a very important mission. When Spartin returns from his journey, I will need you all to do something very important. I need you to rid the earth of him. He has become too powerful to all of us here."

A corsair rat called Nitworm answered out," What's in it for us chief?

Slynick smiled, then answered," Whoever slays him will get extra ration's and will be promoted to my strong right hand."

Then there was an uprising commotion between the vermin, which turned into a fight. Slynick smiled, because he knew what he was expecting to come from his followers and Spartin.

Mutiny!

But he had worked with it before, so he knew what to expect.

Chapter 2

Danderson had finished eating when high noon had just passed. As soon as he finished packing his food, he heard an earsplitting,"Kraaaaaaaa!" He found himself looking upwards at an eagle, swooping right for him! at that moment, he ran for cover in the woodlands, screaming,' Yaahh, help meee! Youchheeeeeaw!"

He started to pant, outrunning an eagle was very difficult! It came within a paw's breadth before catching it's prey. Danderson barely made it to the woods alive. Panting for breath he spoke softly,"Whew, huff, tophole for a hare like meself, huff, eh?Bad form ol' chap, huff, puff should've shot him down, puff, with me arrers so I should have." Before he had a chance to breath again, a dark figure appeared from the bark of a tree.

Flying towards him, the dark figure pinned him to the ground, unable to breath. He was able to get a good glimpse of the figure, and a deep breath. What he saw astonished him. A hare like himself, only female. She had a white ponytail and and light blue eyes. Her fur coat was all white, but darkened paws. She carried a set of throwing knives, a sword, and her tunic was dark brown, but stained, tattered and ripped in many places. She bellowed and pinned him harder,"Who are who?" Danderson could only out three words,"Git...offa...mi." As she got off of his chest, he jolted up, gasping for air.  "Huff, huff, puff, Owow. Huff, that really, puff, hurt!"

"My name is Sarah Sumder Samuel", she replied at him smiling. "What's yours?"

"My name is Danderson Dettenick Dorranfair. Why did you attack me like that?"

Suddenly the giant eagle came swooping down and landed with a thwump.

"Kraa. We attacked because my friend and I protect the woodlands from strangers like you. Kra, where are my manners? My name is Farin the Mountain Eagle."

Farin had a white head and tail. His beak was light yellow and the rest of figure was dark brown and black. "Well pleasure to meet you both, me blighters, eh?" As Danderson explained his story, he pulled out a gooseberry pie and gave half to each of them.

"I'm traveling to the east coast. I am destined for a place called Noonvale. Once I get there, I will travel up the coast until I have found the place they once called Gingham. After I reach that place, I will travel west until i reach Noonvale."

Farin and Sarah looked at each other, and smiled wickedly."I suppose...", Sarah trailed off. Danderson broke the silence,"Wot, what are you just supposing there? come on ol' chap speak up." Sarah and Farin just laughed at each other, and Danderson sat there with a confused expression.

Chapter 3

Spartin was boarded on the Portanin heading for Gandermin. It was the time before the sun had reached it's zenith when Spartin was making markings and routes on his map in the ship's cabin. Just as he put his quill pen on the bark paper, a knock came from the door, startling him and making a big splash across his map. "Come in", he growled fiercely. Ultrun  sauntered in with three scouts.

"Sir, I brought the scouts to thee." Spartin answered with a gruff but cheerful voice. "Good, leave me now." Ultrun only squeaked out," As you wish Capn'."

Ultrun sauntered out silently, leaving the three scouts with Spartin. Three weasels, Grutpaw, Saberfang, and Gashbrain, all experienced spy's, scouts, and thieves, were armed to the fang.

Grutpaw, wore an eyepatch. Scars in various places showed battle and struggle. He dressed in a blue coat and smock. He carried spears everywhere possible along with two dirks. His dark fur gave him an advantage to blending in at night, and his green eyes were piercing to the core. He had a dark tattoo on his left arm, in the shape of a ship.

Saberfang, an albino weasel, had two gold fangs hanging out of his mouth, waiting to kill and murder. Although his bright fur stuck out in the night and day, it did not give him any problem to hide, because he could learn any terrain from a double take, allowing him to hide easily. He dressed in rags and cloth. More of a long range shooter, he carried two quivers and a bow, but for close distance, a broadsword. A scar across his right eye was a cut from long ago, gained when he played with his father's sword collection.

Gashbrain was any ordinary evil weasel at a glance, but if you looked closer at his eyes, they could hypnotize any adder. His arms were muscular and strong, his legs covered in scars and marks, and his chest was almost all tattoos. Barely visible was any fur. He only wore pants that were ripped and hole filled. He carried a dirk, sling, short spear, and cutlass.

" I have a very important task for you. We will reach Gandermin in about three days. When we do, I want you to seek out Carnan. Find Slynick and end him, along with all his followers, but do not kill the slaves. If you accomplish this task you'll receive the best of food and a promotion to captain of your own ship. You will order around who want, when you want. If you fail me, I swear, I will cut off your tongues, and make you eat them. tell no one of this."

The scouts smiled wickedly, licking their blades, but never saying a word. Spartin broke the silence,"You may leave now." as if as they were never there, they creeped out. Smiling, Spartin folded his hands and loocked evilly at his map. He couldn't lose getting the underground castle. If the scouts failed, he could always cut off the entrance. A siege, could take place.

Dannflower Reguba

AUGH!
*Whew!*
I saw you were about to double post so I sneaked one in really fast to save you a warning from the Moderators!
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

MatthiasMan

Redwall Musician

Quote from: danflorreguba on April 15, 2012, 02:25:06 AM
AUGH!
*Whew!*
I saw you were about to double post so I sneaked one in really fast to save you a warning from the Moderators!

Actually, double posting in fan-fiction stories is allowed.

QuotePosting Rules:
Creators may multi-post (with discretion) with updates and additional content to their work
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Dannflower Reguba

"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

MatthiasMan

Do you like it? I'm adding some later this evening.

BrookSkimmer

I like it... and it gives me help for drawing your hare for you.  ;)

MatthiasMan

Yay!! Added more to my story.

MatthiasMan

Chapter 4

As Danderson walked to follow Farin he kicked at the ground and muttered to himself.  Sarah followed behind Danderson. She pushed him forward and urged him to hurry."Come on, if you walk at that pace we'll reach there next season."
Danderson finally spoke up," Where are you taking me, eh? Why to the North?

"Just follow Farin and you'll see," she said smiling." You are going to meet a friend of ours. He knows all the lands better than any beast alive, wot."

Along the edge of the woods during the evening they reached a tree house. Farin flied down to the entrance and knocked on the oak door. Then a voice came from the house.

"Who is that I must ask?"
Farin replied with a bold voice. "Ka, tis me ole mate, Parwin. How is the foxy doing?"

A fox dressed in a robe came out. Strongly built and young too, the fox had light red fur, light yellow eyes and black paws.

"Farin the Mount' Eagle! How are you doing."
"All is good. I need to speak with you about this hare here."
"Ahh. Well if it isn't Sarah the Scabbard. How is the ole' gel' holding up?"

He went over and shook her paw. Obviously a good-hearted fox, he showed great respect to her. Then he walked over to Danderson. He inspected him.

"Hmm. You are obviously a warrior. Well built and more than battle gifted. Hmmm."

In a flash he was behind Danderson. He obtained Danderson's bow and quiver and looked at them wondrously.

"Hmm." He tested it by pulling the string,"Made by a master crafter and beyond a two foot long string stretch."

Giving Danderson his bow back he stared at the black feathered arrows.

"Great feather material and strong wood but rusted points."

After he had looked long and hard at the arrows, he bowed to Danderson and spoke," Parwin Beefeater at ye' service mate." Danderson bowed back. Farin interrupted," Ahem, eh Parwin I need te' speak with you for a moment."
"Of course," he answered. They walked into the house quietly, leaving Sarah and Danderson alone outside. They sat down next to each other.

"Don't worry," said Sarah,"he went in to explain what's going on."
"What is going on? Why am I here?"
"You''ll find out soon."
"But I need to know now. I need to get to Noonvale as fast as possible. It's almost night and I barely have gone east." Danderson got up," I need to go, really."
Sarah grabbed his paw before he could make a run. "All right I'll tell you but you can't speak of this."

She whispered into his ear, and when she was done Danderson leapt for joy.

"Really? That's wonderful!"

Just then Farin peeked his head out the door and invited them in. They were taken through a couple of rooms, in which each showed picture's off foxes, all easily able to tell were related to Parwin. A room with another oak door, led to a space off scrolls and maps, and whatnot. Parwin sat at a seat in the back of the small room. He spoke softly and quietly.

"My friend here tells me you are bound for a place called Noonvale. I have heard of such a place. I will take you there on one condition. Are you ready?" Danderson nodded quickly and seriously."Very well then. You must be prepared for a long and ferocious journey. You will have to provide me with herbs and provisions."
"Yooooweeeaahhhh!" Danderson leapt for joy a second time.

As night fell, and Danderson had slept for two hours, he went out to a pond they passed on the way to the tree house, but he didn't know that someone was following him there. When he reached the pond he sat down at the water's edge. Parwin sat down next to him, but Danderson wasn't surprised. The sounds of night filled the air. The stars twinkled in the sky, the bugs flew around softly, the fish swam creating tiny ripples, and everything was quiet, silent, and peaceful. Parwin talked to Danderson,"I know ye may be scared, but the way you would have taken would get you to Noonvale three seasons from now."
"Hmmf. I'm not scared, just....," he trailed off.

There was another silence but Parwin broke it again,"I can see you like Sarah."
"What?"
"Hah! Yes yer do. I knows it!"
"How would you know that,eh?"
"You mutter it under your breath in your sleep."
"Huh, ain't right for a chippin' chap to listen y'know."
"Well I could help yer with that problem there. I used te' know a gel' fer about three seasons. I was a ship sailor in the ol' days, but I gave em' up te' live with her. But, one day I woke up, and I couldn't find her. She left the tree house, the one where Farin and Sarah are sleeping in. I still think one day I can find her, and I'll get to see her again. After that day I lived a life of solitude and grieved for her."
"Hmmf. I wonder if I'll get to live with my friends. Y'see, I don't remember havin' a mother or father. I just remember being raised in a farm. When I was seven seasons old I ran away to go wandering. But one day I'll go back to that farm and bring all the poor to Redwall Abbey."
"Redwall Abbey? What's that?"
"It's a place of peace and friendship I passed and visited for about half a season. Tis' a great place, eh?"
"Aye matey. Sounds like one the way ye talk about it. Come on. Let's get going. Tis about sunrise."
"All right then."

They walked back to the house silently.

Chapter 5

Sarah awoke. What time was it? She looked out the window, it was sunny with few clouds. She flipped the covers over and climbed out. After she changed clothes she went to Danderson's room. She couldn't find him though. She gave up and sauntered to Parwin's kitchen. Farin was baking scones with Bernard bread and trout, which he caught the previous day at the pond.

"Good morning Farin."
"Ke, good morning te' ye'."
"Have you seen Danderson? I didn't see him in his bed."
"Hmf, yes I have. He woke up early to go collect herbs and provisions for the quest of his."
"What do you mean quest of his?"

Farin was silent. Eventually Sarah caught on to his dry expression.

"You aren't letting me come! You aren't going to let me go with them, eh? Fine by me then if ye' don't mind!"

She ran out the oak door and bumped right into Parwin. The firewood he carried flew in the air and landed right on top of him. Sarah got up on her footpaws and dashed into the woods. Parwin had to get help from Farin to get the heavy logs removed from him. Eventually his head popped out of the ground.

"What in the name of my name is she off to?" Farin just barely replied,"She knows she can't come, she's run off to find Danderson."
"Well she ain't going te' stay behind here, that's fer' sure."

Danderson had his pack filled with all kinds of herbs and supplies. The trees trunks from the forest were packed with all kinds off plants. He just turned around to head back to the house when he felt a pain shoot through his side. "Auggh." Then he fell flat to the ground. Everything went dark as night.

Sarah had just heard a faint grunt to her left in the woods. But when she looked over, nothing was there.
Thwack!
   Then she blacked out.

Danderson awoke with a pain unlike any other in his side. He couldn't move his legs, arms or even see. He wiggled around and tried to break free, but he hit someone next to him.

"Urnnowowwooooww."

Just then he heard a scream that raised the hairs on his neck. He tried to call out but he was gagged. Just then the blindfold and gag were cut with a sudden slice. Everything was visible now, but something was not right. He had never seen such a filthy and messy place. The room was a small prison cell with only one window. All the walls were solid rock. Everything was gray shaded.To his left was a certain someone who knew only too well. Sarah! Her head lolled over in pain. He didn't see anyone or anything cut the bonds on his legs and paws, save his gag and blindfold. He quickly scampered over to Sarah, but as soon as he did, the pain in his side only became worse. Slowly, he glanced at his cut. A huge gash bleeding wildly, purple all around it. The only goal of his was to get over to his best friend. Dragging himself on the opposite side, he eventually reached her.

"Hurm, Sar..ah. Are..ye still, alive?"
"Geuurn....Urruh."

Sarah slowly opened her eyes and stared at Danderson. A huge bump had placed itself on her head. She had been scratched in countless places.

"Oh. Danderson, thank the seasons." Her voice was quiet and small." Oh, I have terrible pains in my head. Oh how will we get out of here?"

A recognizable accent greeted her.

"Scuse' oi mizzus, oi kin' elp' ye'."

A mole had been seated where Danderson was previously seated. Sarah stared at the species she never had met before with curiosity, but Danderson looked open mouthed at his old friend from long ago.

Chapter 6

Slynick was restless. Not only was he inevitably going to lose a battle to his enemy, his precious underground fort, dug by moles, was going to be captured. He had not been able to sleep a wink. He paced around in his throne room. Thinking up all schemes possible, but soon he decided the only one option was left. He had to abandon his fort and sail to Gingham, the ruins of his father and mother's once thriving civilization. Legend had it that his mother was a queen and his father a king. They ruled together. A plague drove them out of the village. Slynick's parents died because of it, and he barely escaped alive. On a piece of driftwood he landed on Gandermin. At that time he was a child, but his name and fearsome killing ways, became known to searats and corsairs. Many came to the island by luck, and tried to capture the little villain, but all fell to his traps. He took the slaves of their ships, and put the Captains under his orders. The mole prisoners were forced, under whips and doling of food, to make a fort underground. But now that his fortress was soon to be taken for the liking, he had to leave. Slynick called in three of his most trusted Captains. Fungrer, Bolinose, and Hittrick, all stoats, lined up in front of his throne. He spoke boldly and feircely,"Tonight I want to leave this wretched place. It is to dangerous here. I will need no slaves, but only you. We will leave on Goregrath. We will bring all rations possible. If you object, speak now."

He put his paw on the battle axe next to him, ready to fight if necessary. None spoke, for they were only willing to go with him.

"Good. We will leave as soon as all guards are asleep."

As night fell, Slynick and his Captains, slipped out of the fort and headed for the port on the east side. They made it safely and launched the ration packs onto the vessel. After a few adjustments and anchor pulled up, they head out for the eastern coast. Traveling northwest was more difficult with four vermin. They could not row as the slaves were able too many seasons ago. But, they pulled and pushed through all of it, determined to make it to Gingham.

MatthiasMan

Here is a picture of Parwin Beefeater.

Chapter 7

Spartin finally reached Gandermin Island. In the silent night, he sent out the three spys. Silent as a shadow they swiftly moved in the wooded area of Gandermin. Out of sight, Spartin made his way to the cabin, only to be stopped by Toothgut, a searat and close friend of Spartin.
"Captain, I spotted a rowing ship headed northeast. It seemed to be abandon but the oars moved at high speed."
"Hmm..."
Spartin thought but did not find any reason to go after them.
"Let it go. Probably just a drifting ship."
"But Capt..."
"Silence," Spartin growled."It is a abandon ship and has no reason with me." Toothgut cringed back in fear as Spartin took hold of his torn jacket. Holding him over the port side he let go. "No, no, please Captain...Aauuugggghhh!"
Bump!
Toothgut landed on his head and broke his neck, killing him before he had a chance to get up from the massive fall.
"Hmf. Useless, brainless, scum."

Dawn arrived rather earlier the  expected. Grutpaw and the other two weasels, came running down the beach will all haste. Ultrun spotted them first. "Capn', Capn' come quick! Grutpaw has returned."
Bursting out of the cabin, bellowing to haul them up, he found rope and pulled up Gashbrain, with help from various weasels and foxes.
"Come to cabin," he yelled as soon as they were all up. Saberfang had been cut on his leg, mortally. Stumbling and falling, he could no longer take the pain.
"Gerrup' up now Saberfang. I ain't got time fer' the likes o' yew'. " Only squeaking, Saberfang could say one word."Help..." Grabbing a stoat's spear, Spartin thrust it in his back. Then Saberfang was gone forever.
"Worthless scum. Couldn't abide 'is little hide. Snot nosed, pancy livered, gash eyed, fool. Anyone who cannot fight 'ere will take a little journey te' hell's gates. Come on ye' livered swine pigs. Gerof' this deck and gert below. I've some buisness here."
Walking in the cabin with two spies, he locked the door. Grutpaw barely ever spoke. Of the few times he did, they were with Spartin.
"Ggrr. We have important infermation'. All of dem' are dead, excep' fer' un'..."
"Who?"
"Slynick...He were gun'... He'v 'scaped."
Screaming loudly Spartin could be heard below deck,"What? He is not gone... He is..."
Realization occured over him. Grabbing a hanging sword from a wall he sliced off the heads of Gashbrain and Grutpaw.
Plop!
The only way Slynick could have escaped, was on the row boat Toothgut spotted. Feeling a surge of anger  and hate for Slynick, he went around the room, crashing things, crushing, smashing, destroying, scratching, and ripping things apart. Foam fell from his mouth. Oh how he would hunt Slynick. Taking revenge upon him. Trying to find treasure for his own relish. Revenge would be sweet. How Spartin loved his revenge, for he had desired to rid the world of Slynick since he set eyes upon him. Indeed revenge was the key.

MatthiasMan

Chapter 8

Danderson crawled over to the mole as fast as possible, in pain but joyfully, yelling his name as high as his voice would let him.
"Torah, owow, Tor, ow, er, you came back! I. . . ow, always knew you lied te' me. Humph. Arrhhg!"
The mole had a bage hat on and bage jerkin. His silver digging reflected the light coming in the only window of the cell. Although his fur was brown, and hard to see in the dark, Sarah noticed that he had a bag, obviously filled to the edges, that was also brown. Sarah could not tell if Danderson was angry, happy, or maybe in pain. The only she knew was that she was tired and wanted to hear about this so called "mole."
"Ahem, I'm still here Dandy Andy. Ow. My head hurts like the volcano of Salamandastron. What in the name of food an' dessert is a mole?"
Torah Lihtin, the name of the mole, answered for Danderson,"Good day ter ee missus. Oim ee' mole ars ussuns' k'alls eet. Ee mole tis' arn specees thart dig un ver good, hurr."
Danderson continued the rest,"Humph, an' this ere fellow when I was at Log a Log's river, a while back, was supposed to be healer there, and he swore oath te' stay an help if needed, wot. But alas, lookit 'im now, wandered off until captured in this pit hole, eh? Say, my olded friend, did you cut the bonds on us?"
"Yars endeed zurr. Burt oi wus kerked ut ut uv ee place."
Sarah broke the conversation between them,"Danderson can you translate any of that at all?"
"Er. . .Yes and no. . . Maybe or so?"
Sarah slowly stood up, and slowly fell back down grunting. She wondered, honestly, how does a hare get out of a cell with a mole and another hare? Then she had an idea.
"Wait, did one of you say the word dig?"
Torah answered,"Yurs, oi bees im'."
She found the strength to stand and screamed at them,"That's it you dimwits! Dig our way out of here! Anyhow, how did we get in here?"
"Brilliant ol' gel. Dig indeed. Quidem. And I jolly don't know how we got in ere'. Maybe twas through that window. But I'm not good at any ol' diggin', eh? Er. Tor! you must dig us un's out or we'll all die of hunger, thirst, air, and wot wot."
    Torah started right then and there, dug into the ground with astounding speed. In no time he had already dug a tunnel as long as the cell, and deep enough for Danderson to stand in. He had to follow Torah, and Sarah leaned on him, mostly because she was tired, but partly because she knew he wanted to hold her. After about thirty minutes of digging Torah began an upwards slope. Danderson grunted a little, and the wound on his side wasn't as bad because a scab was starting to form, so he started up a ditty he learned from Foremole.

Diggity, diggity, dig,
A mole must diggity dig,
Cause if they aren't,
What are they then?
Just diggity dig a den.

He repeated the verse twice and this seemed encourage Torah. Barely three seconds passed after he finished the third time, and in that time Torah broke to the surface. Light shown in, blinding Danderson and putting sun spots on his vision.
"Yahar! We did it! We came out of. . ."
His cheer was cut short. They were surrounded all around, by hawks! Hawks, and sparrows.

MatthiasMan