News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Outlander - Book 3

Started by SandyB, June 01, 2012, 01:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandyB

BOOK 3 - ABSOLUTION

Farlo the dormouse was following Ikkit Claw. He had followed his army since they left his home in Lanka. They were the ones who stole his beloved wife away from him. He had been out of his village helping to fight the Stormvermin, but upon his return the children and other villagers were slaughtered and the houses were ruined and set on fire. He had been in Jima only three days and already he was drawing attention to himself. In the field where he stood, the tails of his turbun blew and danced on the wind behind him as the blood of the dead stained his feet.
   Only one wearet out of a group of four was left alive. The great hulking beast twirled a long chain with a scythe shaped blade on the end of it. "Ready ter die, mousey?"
   "Sorry," Farlo said coolly. "I believe you are the one who is about to die." Farlo readied his blood stained scimitar. "In fact, there's no doubt in my mind about it," he added. The wearet grew berserk with rage and charged at Farlo. But the dormouse had the same idea, as the wearet threw his flail, Farlo ducked and swung upwards with his scimitar as the wearet passed him by. The wearet realised he had missed and was about to charge again when Farlo asked, "Excuse me, does this belong to you?" The wearet then noticed that Farlo was standing on his severed left arm. The wearet howled in pain and collapsed to the ground as torrents of crimson gore sprayed from the wound. Farlo stamped on the wearet's throat and his voice became cold and hateful. "Alright monster, tell me what I want to know and maybe I'll save your miserable life. Tell me, where is the one they call the Steward of Mochizuki?"
The voyage back to Jima from Mossflower was quicker than the route to Mossflower from Jima. The voyage was shortened by the Roaringburn current and the massive tidal currents across the Cerres Ocean. Sandokhan was the most cheered by the familiar sight of his homeland. The horizons, every blade of grass and the sound of native birdsong was heartbreaking. The fox felt he had truly returned home. As the crew of the Heart of the Ocean and the GUOSIM shrews unpacked supplies and set up camp on the shore, Sandokhan and Wataru stretched to refresh their cramped limbs. "Welcome home," said Wataru. "It won't truly be home again until Ikkit Claw is purged from this land," Sandokhan replied. "What exactly has he done?"
   "Come, I'll show you," said Wataru as he lead Sandokhan up a shallow land rise. Sandokhan could never prepare himself for what he was about to see. The sky was a horrid grey colour with sunlight trying to break through the clouds making them radiate with a sickening yellow hue. Most of the buildings he saw were ruined and the smell of death floated on the breeze. Down bellow in the floodplains Sandokhan saw rats dumping the corpses of the dead into the once clear River Oda, now reduced to a torrent of dark brown. The fox felt tears swelling in his eyes as he fell to his knees in grief. "It's pretty bad isn't it?"
   "I didn't want to believe you," Sandokhan sobbed. Wataru put a reassuring paw on his friends' shoulder, "You won't go through this alone."
   "Never alone." The pair turned to see Mattimeo with the sword of Martin slung over his back. "It's gonna be dangerous," said Wataru. "Danger?" Mattimeo scoffed. "We Redwall Warriors are like you Samurai, we laugh in the face of danger!" Sandokhan chuckled loudly. "I say you bods! We're more far away than anybeast has been from Mossflower and I bally well don't find any of this lark funny, wot!" George Stag Hare had now materialised next to them with Cheek trailing behind him. The young otter paced in front of the hare and looked down at the sight that greeted Sandokhan and Wataru. "So we're gonna fight this Ikkit rat, for this?"
   "That's right Cheek," Sandokhan replied. "This is where Wataru and I grew up."
   "Well beggars can't be choosers. Anyway, if you chaps are going to pitch in, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't. Now I suggest we get back to camp and see if those shrews have put together some decent tucker."
   "I suggest we don't dawdle, there'd be none left when flopears've finished," said Cheek.
   "Good point Cheek," Mattimeo remarked as the group made their way quickly back to camp. Little did they know that a weasel dressed in black was watching and listening from the overgrowth.

Jagee had been busy making everybeast in Mochizuki respect him through fear and intimidation. Once Ikkit Claw came to power he made Master Krinz's old dojo his fortress and was bestowed the title of 'Steward of the Domain' by his new master. Always ignorant that the sword he carried wasn't the Starfire Katana. He paced around his throne room that was once his old master's study and dormitory, while his slave, a doremouse maiden was polishing his prized katana sword. "Make sure you shine it properly or I'll test the edge on your tongue and make you use it as a rag!"
   "Yes Lord Jagee," she replied. Jagee unsheathed his wakizashi and placed it under her throat. "Glendal, how dare you speak to your master without permission. You disappoint me slave!" With that Jagee sheathed his blade and beat her on the side of the head. "Deadpaw!"
   The stormvermin captain Deadpaw rushed to his lord and saluted smartly. "Have one of your guard to take this slave out and flog her."
   "How many lashes your lordship?"
   "Five." With that Deadpaw grabbed Glendal and dragged her out of Jagee's presence before he raised his paw to stop Deadpaw. "Actually... make it ten lashes."
   "Yes sir." When Deadpaw had withdrawn from the chamber, Jagee heard pawsteps. He turned round to see the weasel in black. "Ah! My ninja," Jagee said warmly. The weasel knelt before him, "So my eyes and ears in the darkness what news do you bring?" The ninja remained kneeling as he reported to Jagee. "My Lord, on the southern coast of the domain I saw a junk anchored offshore. It's description matches that of the Heart of the Ocean; a sea-guard ship that took an old monk called Tin-Jin west of here. I approached closer to investigate. I saw multiple creatures; otters, shrews, a hare, a mouse with a strange sword, a squirrel and a fox." Jagee sat on his throne digesting the information in his mind. "And?"
   "The shrews, and several others were wearing clothes I have never seen before and were speaking in a language I could not understand. I only managed to catch one name; Sandokhan." With that Jagee stood and was on the ninja in a trice with his wakizashi unsheathed. "Sandokhan? SANDOKHAN?! If I find out you have lied to me I'll gut you. Then I'll leave your carcass out in the sun for the carrion to pick clean!" The unfortunate ninja knew it was futile to squirm under Jagee's grip, so he tried to justify himself. "Please Lordship, I was only repeating what I heard. I'm reporting to you so you can advise on what to do next." The ferret released the weasel as he shook with frustration. "Advice? Fine! You are to take my entire ninja team to where they are encamped. Kill them all! I'm sure you can do that." The weasel ninja rose from the floor and bowed numerous times as he exited the chamber. Jagee paced over to the window and watched as his slave was flogged, however his thoughts were elsewhere. So Sandokhan you have returned home. It'll be the last mistake you'll ever make.
As night fell crickets chirruped noisily and the waves of the sea lapped the shore gently as the warriors took a late alfresco supper. A stew was prepared by the otters made with six types of fish and the GUOSIM shrews made shrew cake for pudding. "I say chaps, I think I might actually be full!" George remarked as he loosened his belt. Meanwhile Sandokhan unfolded a map of the area he copied from his great grandfather's journals. "Right," he began. "If there are no objections, I think it's time to think of a plan. From what Wataru has told me, Ikkit Claw has made Jagee steward of Mochizuki domain. So we are to assume that he has power more or less everywhere. So it's bound to be a monumental task that lies before us. Now I believe if we find Jagee, we'll find Claw."
   Elmtail raised his paw, "Er, question. How exactly do we find this Jagee?"
   "My thoughts exactly Elmtail. Now, I think a good place to start would be here," Sandokhan said as he pointed to a symbol on his map. "Takashiro Village. It's the most built up place around here. If I'm right, we should get some valuable information and hopefully meet up with Wataru's friends in the resistance."
   "If they haven't been crushed already," said Mattimeo. "I mean, if Jagee is as powerful now as Wataru and yourself say then isn't it possible that he's aleady quelled any resistance against him?"
   "Neither myself nor Wataru are dismissing the fact. But all they need is a spark to wake everybeast up." Sandokhan continued. "And it would be a chance to try out your skills in Jimanese," said Tsuzuku. George perked his ears up and saw as a chance to demonstrate. "Better leave the old chitchat to a skilled linguist like me don't cha know. Have a listen to this..." The gallous hare then made up a random sentence in Jimanese that he thought was quite simple. After he had spoken Sandokhan, Wataru and Tsuzuku rolled about on the sand roaring with laughter while the otters looked at him absolutely confused. "Confounded blighters!" George scoffed. "What's so bally funny?" Sandokhan sat up straight and wiped tears of mirth from his eyes and explained. "George you just said; 'Don't cry, I'm going to eat your feet.'" Everybeast present broke out in fits of laughter, except George who had his jaw open in disbelief and indignation. "Hahahahahaha, I think you could scare off any Stormvermin rat with that phrase George," Mattimeo laughed.
Away from the camp, a single shrew sentry stood guard. The shrew was too intent of taking in the crisp night air and calm to notice somebeast sneaking up behind him. In a trice, something grabbed him by the snout and throat. Suddenly the sentry felt something pierce his stomach. He tried to scream but the assailant clamped down on his mouth so no sound would rouse the others at the camp. The lifeless corpse hewed to the ground as numerous creatures dressed in black bounded and galloped over the unfortunate shrew.
Back at camp everybeast was asleep apart from Log-a-log Flugg, Wataru, Mattimeo and Sandokhan. Both the otter and the fox sat by the glowing embers of the dying campfire meditating while Mattimeo was sat by the shoreline drawing random shapes in the wet sand with the tip of his sword, whilst feeling the gentle lap of the waves caress his bare footpaws. Flugg sat next him, breaking the warriors' train of thought. "What's on your mind Redwaller?"
   Mattimeo looked up from his doodling, "Ah, it's just sinking in. The furthest I've ever been away from Redwall was Southsward. Now, I can't help feeling somewhat homesick. I wonder how Martin and Tess are getting along without me. I miss being in Cavern Hole eating supper. Some of Foremole's deeper n' ever beetroot 'n' turnip pie, flans, quiches, trifles, tarts, fresh strawberries with meadow cream, candied chestnuts I've got to hide from Martin or else he'll eat mine and..."
   "Please, please, no more! I think I'm getting hungry again just from listening to you," Flugg interrupted. Mattimeo couldn't help but smile at his friend. "Do you remember the great feast at Redwall when my father rescued us from Malkariss?"
   "Do I ever. That was when old Log-a-log passed away. Sometimes I wonder if he made the right choice, at times I don't feel like a leader." Mattimeo stood up and patted Flugg on the back. "From what I've seen so far you're a natural. Anyway I'm tired, I'm going to go get some sleep." As Mattimeo passed by Wataru and Sandokhan, the two samurai snapped their eyes open and grabbed the handles of their katanas whilst looking over their shoulders. Mattimeo drew the sword of Martin and started looking around him. "What's wrong?"
   "You smell that Sandy?"
   "Yes. The smell of blood. Tsuzuku rouse your otters!" Tsuzuku sat upright rubbing sleep from his eyes. "What's going on?" he asked.    
   As soon as the words escaped his mouth, several figures dressed in black bounded out from the shadows with ninjato blades drawn. Pandemonium broke loose. Mattimeo, Wataru and Sandokhan stood back to back as they were surrounded by the black figures. "Who are they?" asked Mattimeo.
   "Jagee's ninja," Wataru explained.
   "Ninja?"
   "Assassins and back-stabbers. They prefer to strike from the shadows than fight honourably," Sandokhan added. Suddenly Jagee's ninja made a lunge at the trio. All three thrusted, slashed, parried and stabbed. Mattimeo had become more deadly with the sword after learning and sparring with Sandokhan. He managed to dispatch two with a single stroke and in little time the ninja began to back away, only to be cut down by the keen aim of Elmtail's bow. "Elmtail, behind you!" Mattimeo yelled. The squirrel spun round to see another ninja, a squirrel, advancing on him. Flugg balanced his throwing dagger in his paw before hurling it at ninja. The blade found it's target and the ninja squirrel collapsed at Elmtail's foot-paws. "Well thrown Flugg!" George commented. The shrews were proving to be easy prey with a handful falling to the assassin's blades. Tsuzuku and his otters joined in the fray to assist Flugg and GUOSIM shrews with Cheek and George Stag Hare.
   The hare was proving to be more skilled in paw-to-paw combat than in the ways of the blade. With one sublime roundhouse kick he disarmed two ninja of their weapons, while Cheek knocked them into unconsciousness with his bow staff. Just as Tsuzuku had killed one ninja, another sprang up behind him and plunged his sword into the otter's chest up to the hilt and cut sideways. Wataru was on him in a trice, decapitating his brother's attacker. Now Mattimeo and Sandokhan joined Fluggs' side, dispatching ninja as they went.
   Then silver clouds blew away from the moon, white light glinted off the blade of Sandokhan's sword. What happened next was strange, the ninja left alive caught a glimpse of the symbols on the fox's blade and they all backed off in fear.
   "Look!"
   "By the fur and fang!"
   "Starfire!"
   "Impossible! Lord Jagee wields the Starfire Katana."
   Sandokhan saw his chance. "Listen to me. This is the true Starfire Katana, the sword our first shogun forged for the mouse samurai Kenji. Made from metal that fell from the sky many ages ago. If you know what'll happen if you challenge the legacy of this blade and fail; flee now. Flee back to your master and tell him that the Shogun's Head-taker has returned and will cast him and his master out of this land!" The few ninja left needed no second bidding, leaving the wounded and the unconscious they threw down their blades and ran towards Jagee's fortress. All present wiped their weapons clean.
   Sandokhan looked around and saw the sands running red with gore and bodies strewn all around some still clutching their weapons in death. Wataru knelt next to Tsuzuku clutching the corpse of his brother, covered in blood, mouth open and his eyes clouded over. Nobeast spoke. They were all listening to Wataru making a pledge to his fallen brother. "They'll pay, they'll all pay. I swear it!" Sandokhan ripped off a long slim piece of white cloth from Tsuzuku's kimono and tied it around his old friends' head. White, the Samurai colour for vengeance.

The next day in Takashiro, one of Ikkit Claws' patrols had been summoned to police the town. They heard of an incident involving a mouse been caught defacing a statue of Jagee in the square. All of the villagers were summoned to witness the justice of Ikkit Claw. The mouse they caught was burried up to his neck in sand while his friends were taunted and pressured into the macabre task of carrying out his execution. Those who refused were executed themselves. The leader of the patrol, the Stormvermin captain Fang, enjoyed his task of intimidation. One of his guard grabbed a villager out of the crowd. "So, you there. Do you live or die?" The villager, a hedgehog, pleaded with the stormvermin. "No! Please!"
   Fang swept dramatically in front of Jagee's statue as his soldiers paraded the unfortunate creature in front of the whole town. "Are you ready to show your loyalty?"
   "I'll do anything you want, just please don't kill me!"
   "Look at 'ow yer friend has vandalised the statue of yer lord and master. An act of treason against Lord Jagee is a crime against the 'Onoured Claw. One might even think this 'hole village was disloyal. Now is yer chance to prove yerself. Tell me, who's yer master?"
   "L, Lord Jagee," the hedgehog stammered. Fang started applauding and urged his Stormvermin to do the same. "Well done," he said mockingly. "Well your definately no traitor mate! I can see yer keen to follow the 'Onoured Claw. All you need to do is one little thing for us."
   "Name it and I'll do it," replied the hedgehog growing bolder. "It's easy, you see yer friend in the sand there?"
   "Oh, he's no friend of mine, sir."
   "Glad to hear that, mate. All you need to do... is chop his head off!" With that, Fang forced his sword into the hedgehog's grip while the patrol's wearet stood over him to ensure he did the task. The hedgehog fell to his knees in shock and stared painfully into the eyes of his victim. The wearet kicked the hedgehog coldly. "Wot yous waitin' for? Do it!"
   The hedgehog held the blade ready to make a slash, but overcome by grief he dropped Fangs' sword and started sobbing piteously. "I can't do it, I can't do it!"
   "Ya call that loyalty? You had yer chance and you did nothing," sneered Fang as he passed a nod to the wearet. The huge creature then brought his club on the back of the hedgehog's skull. All present looked away shielding their eyes from the gruesome scene. The air was broken when an old mouse shouted his concern from the crowd. "Why? Why would the beast who said he would protect us send these monsters here to kill us? I cannot believe Lord Jagee would do such a thing!" Fang turned his gaze towards the old mouse and pointed, "It looks ter me that this 'ere town is populated by traitors. If you've got so much ter say, you can plead for life with this un." Then the hulking wearet advanced on the old mouse picking him up and bringing the mouse to eye level. Just as the wearet growled ferociously another voice called out.
   "Put him down!" The crowd parted and stood there was a dormouse in a turbun. "Who are you?" Fang demanded.
   "My name is Farlo and I am looking for the beast you have just described. The steward of Mochizuki." The wearet released the old mouse and was readying himself for an attack when Fang halted him. "Tojo, No! Come forward." Farlo paced slowly to where Fang and the others were standing. The rat sheathed his blade, "I'll tell you this much. You've got gall coming here and flapping yer snout, so in all fairness I believe you should be the one ter cut this mouse's 'ead off."
   "I wouldn't want you lot to miss out on all the fun. Are you sure about this?"
   "Ah, wat're mates fer, eh?" Farlo drew his scimitar and embedded it in Fang's head. The shock of pain hadn't sunk in at first, "You idiot!" Fang said pointing to the mouse in the sand with a trembling paw. "I meant him!"
   "I'm sorry I can't believe I made such a foolish mistake," said Farlo, his voice dripping with sarcasm. As Fang slumped to the ground, the Stormvermin readied their weapons and were about to make a lunge at Farlo. Suddenly, multiple hissing shafts thudded into Tojo's head and the massive creature was subdued.
   "For the red dawn!"
   "Redwall!"
   "Mossflower!"
   Elmtail jumped down from the roof of a nearby house whilst Sandokhan and Cheek appeared behind the stormvermin and the others leaped out of the crowd of villagers. The two Stomrvermin paused for a second before making their move. One made a charge at Mattimeo but was put down by Elmtail's bow, whilst the other charged Sandokhan. As their blades grinded against each other, Sandokhan made a query, "One question; satisfy my curiosity. That statue in the town square, who's it supposed to be?"
   "Lord Jagee, you wretched vulpine!" Annoyed by the insult, Sandokhan easily killed his opponent. As he wiped his sword clean and sheathed it, he walked around the statue studying it closely. "It's a very, very good likeness, but it's not Jagee. The sculpter missed his glass eye."
   Whilst Wataru and the others helped to free the mouse in the sand, Elmtail stood over the dead wearet and stared long and hard. He knew he saw bests like him before, back in Malkariss.
Back at Jagee's palace news had reached the steward of what had occurred in Takashiro. There was no doubt in his mind that the interfering fox was Sandokhan himself. Only one memory plagued his mind, the day Sandokhan faught him in the dojo. He ate his carp dinner automatically, not bothering to savour the fish's flavour. Deadpaw on the other hand was eating as if he survived a famine. "Mmmm! That was nice," he commented patting his distended stomach. Deadpaw looked up and saw Jagee hardly eating at all.
   "Sire?"
   "What?" Jagee replied coldly. "You're not eating sire. Is something wrong?"
   "You say that as if I actually enjoy your company, rat!"
   "Please forgive me lord. I, I, I didn't mean to..." Jagee raised his paw to silence the captain of his guard. "That's quite alright, I know now that you Stormvermin are weak of mind. I take that you enjoyed the mansion's carp?"
   "Oh I did sire. I never 'ad any fish with so much flavour."
   "I'm glad you appreciated it. You see, they get their flavour due to their diet of dead meat."
   "Sire, what exactly did yer mean by dead meat?"
   "The corpses of those who displease me. After I have them executed I feed them to my fish!" Deadpaw started to tremble nervously, "Don't worry Deadpaw," said Jagee reassuringly. "You're far too important to me at the moment. However, my ninja have failed miserably and failure can not be tolerated. I must be sure that this fox wandering about the domain is Sandokhan."
   "Who is this 'ere Sandokhan anyway, Sire?"
   Jagee threw back his head and roared with maniacal laughter. "Hahahahaha! Why, he's the next corpse to be fed to my carp!"

Back in Takashiro village, Sandokhan and his companions were hailed as heroes of the day. The old mouse Shiro had taken them into his house where a multiple course meal was prepared. The band of warriors had finished their rice which concluded the sixth course when Shiro cleared the low dinner table and retired to the kitchen to do washing up. George Stag Hare was, of course, the first to comment on the meal they just eaten. "Splendid tucker. But I'd rather eat with an old spoon than these stick thingemies, wot! By the way Sandy-old-khan, what was that stuff we had for the fourth course?"
   "Aye, what was it? I didn't really enjoy it," Elmtail added.
   "Iika, squid in vinegar," Sandy explained. George suddenly clamped his paw over his mouth as he felt his stomach heave. He rose to his footpaws quickly in search of a latrine. Both Cheek and Wataru shook their heads, "I dunno what 'e's on about mate," said Cheek as he conversed in Jimanese to Wateru. "I thought that squid stuff was lovely!"
   "I'm glad you enjoyed it young one," said Shiro as he emerged from the kitchen with a pot of green herbal tea. "I must confess, I do believe I might've overdone the vinegar a bit, but I like it like that." After George returned, there was tea and introductions, Sandokhan explained why they were in Takeshiro in the first place. "The resistance you say? Well, nobeast really knows where they meet. But, I do know that mouse those wicked vermin were going to execute is part of it. I was surprised they actually caught him, he was very careful up until last night."
   "Then in that case we can't wait. We need to make a move now," Mattimeo motioned. Flugg nodded in agreement, "I agree with Mattimeo. If nobeast knows where this movement is based, it could take up a considerable amount of time trying to find them. And in that time, Ikkit Claw might take this delay to build up his forces and this land may never be free."
   Sandokhan inhaled loudly, "Mmm, so we find Jagee on our own. A small band like ours is less likely to attract atten-" the fox stopped mid sentence. Mattimeo drew his sword in readiness for the worst scenario, "What is it Sandy? Is somebeast watching us?" George's ears perked up as he stood from the table. "He's right ol' Redwaller. There's a chap listening outside the door, I can smell him." With that, the hare slid the front door open and stood there was Farlo the dormouse. "Are you the warriors from the western lands?" Mattimeo returned the sword of Martin to it's scabbard and stepped forward to address the dormouse. "Good evening sir. I believe we met earlier on today but I do not believe we've had the pleasure, Mr. erm..." said Mattimeo with his paw outstretched. Farlo took his paw and shook it warmly, "Farlo the doremouse from the Principality of Lanka. And you?"
   "Mattimeo, Mattimeo of Redwall and these are my friends." Shiro chuckled out loud, "Hehe, it seems I have lots of visitors today! Come friend would you like some tea?" Farlo agreed and soon both parties were relating tales of why they were in Jima. After Farlo related his tale to his new friends over tea Sandokhan spoke, "It seems we both have business to settle with Jagee,"
   "And I as well," Wataru chimed in, "That wicked ferret sent his ninja team to murder my brother. He will pay for his crimes in blood."
   "Yes, but where do we find Jagee?" Elmtail asked. "Don't worry friend, I have an idea where to find him," Wataru replied. The small party of liberators slept in Shiro's dwelling that night, preparing themselves mentally for the task ahead. Sandokhan was restless, he spent most of that night outside keeping watch. It was nearly dawn when Mattimeo emerged from Shiro's house rubbing sleep from his eyes. "Morning Samurai," said Mattimeo. Sandokhan returned a nod as Mattimeo sat beside him. "I never told you the story of the Starfire Katana did I?" asked Sandokhan.
   "You never really mentioned it," Mattimeo replied.
   "When I was at Redwall, I was reading tales about your hero Martin. Boar the fighter forged Martin his sword to replace the one his father gave him when it was destroyed by Tsarmina,"
   "Boar forged the blade out of a piece of metal that fell from the stars over Salamandastron. Martin used it to slay Tsarmina and it has been a treasured relic of our abbey for generations. That sword was forged for Kenji, right?"
   "That's right. After visiting the dragon of Kuma mountain, Kenji needed a blade he could call his own. The dragon had told Kenji to seek out a badger blacksmith named Masakado, who was our first shogun. The old legend says that one night, Masakado looked up and saw a star fall from heaven and washed up on the shore the next morning. Kenji was being treated for wounds after a fight with a corsair chief, that nearly cost him his life. Anyway as Kenji recovered from his injuries, Masakado forged him that sword out of the metal he found washed up on the beach and named it Starfire. I believe that both Martin's sword and Kenji's katana are made from the same material." Sandokhan drew the katana from it's scabbard, the last rays of moonlight reflecting off the polished surface. Mattimeo did likewise with his own sword, and compared it to the Starfire katana. "What does that writing mean Sandokhan? I understand how to speak your language, but not read it."
   "It's Kenji's motto; Challenge me, when you're ready to duel a saint. My old swordmaster used to tell us stories of Kenji all the time. He used to say, 'Wield your sword with emotional content, not anger. For anger leads to hatred and hatred is the path to damnation not enlightenment.' In my language this teaching is called Bushido; the way of the warrior."
As morning broke the eight warriors left Takashiro village and headed north, leaving Tsuzuku's otters and the GUOSIM shrews to look after the villagers. As they walked across the flat plains leading to the foothills of the mountains, Sandokhan recognised where they were; on the path back to Edu village, the place where he grew up. George's ears perked up again when he heard a faint rumble in the distance, "Hold fast chaps," he said looking around anxiously. After a few moment's pause the sound become more audible. "What is that?" asked Cheek. "Sounds like marching to me," said Farlo. Mattimeo's eyes went wide, "Listen, we need to get off this path now!"
   "We better find a place to hide," said George. The small band took cover in some overgrowing vegetation on the verge of the path. The noise became louder as a band of Stormvermin officers accompanied by Roygel and some senior cheiftains of his tribe strolled past. Sandokhan and the others listened intently to their bickering. "Rrrr! When do we attack?"
   "For the last time Roygel, I don't know,"
   "Yer general of the army, yer should know Gash!"
   "I am a servant of the Honoured Claw. He makes the decision to attack, not I."
   "If I don't get ter killin' sommat soon I'll take it out on yer army!"
   Gash halted the band and drew his sword and tried to square up to the massive juggernaut. "Let's just get one thing straight, I don't like nor trust you. The lives of my Stormvermin matter to me, yours on the other claw does not! I have committed too much time into formulating a strategy and I'll be damned if I let you attack just because you couldn't control your violent tendencies!" Roygel tightened the grip on his mace, "Is dat a challenge?"
   Gash smiled cunningly and sheathed his weapon, "My challenge will come one day, monster. But not today." He turned around addressed his officers, "Come on, we've wasted enough time with this bickering." The group started marching again with Roygel and his wearets following a few paces behind conversing in hushed tone to one another. "Oi cud snap 'is neck in two like a dry twig," said one of the cheiftains. "Rererere, you an' all eh brother?" Roygel chuckled.
   When the party passed them by, Wataru nudged Sandokhan, "By the fur! That was General Gash!"
   "I remember seeing him at the battle of Niji gate. He was the one who told Lon to surrender. I didn't recognize the others with him."
   "The one to his right was Major Queek, one of Ikkit Claw's personal guard. I don't know the names of the others." The matter of Gash's conversation suddenly struck home for Sandokhan, "Wataru, what's all this talk of an attack?" The otter turned to his friend, "Ikkit Claw's army is preparing itself for another invasion. This time they plan to attack the Silk Islands south of Jima."
   "We cannot allow this to happen," said Mattimeo. "Yes, but we have more pressing matters ahead of us, friend. Chief among them rescuing my wife and avenging Wataru's brother," said Farlo.
   "Never mind the bally matter at hand, who, or what were those things?"
   "They're called wearets," Elmtail explained. "I've seen their kind before, back in Malkariss."
   "I was at Malkariss aswell, I don't recall seeing any of these... wearet creatures."
   "You were only there for over a day, Mattimeo. I spent many long and bitter seasons under the lash of those monsters. The wearet was the master slavedriver. A slave would have to have done something very wrong if you were sent to the wearet."
It was nearly late afternoon when Wataru and Sandokhan lead their friends through the back streets and alleyways of Edu village. They had successfully traversed the numerous stormvermin patrols. On the outskirts of Edu, Wateru lead the party of warriors to a landrise with a grand mansion on top of it. Wataru brought them to the bottom of a ginormous set of stone stairs and pointed upwards. "There," he said, "that's where Jagee is." Sandokhan instantly knew the building Wataru was pointing at. "Our old swordmaster's dojo?"
   Wataru nodded.
   The plan for the attack was made by Sandokhan, "Elmtail, Mattimeo and George will go up to the front gate and distract the guard's attention. Meanwhile Wataru, Farlo and myself will try to slip in the back door, while Cheek and Flugg will try to find the slave dormitories and rally them together. That way we can add new members for the resistance."
   Up in the mansion, Jagee could see a small gathering of creatures down below. He didn't recognise the style of dress but he could make out two in samurai armour, an otter... and a fox! The ferret turned to Deadpaw, "Quickly, bring my armour and rouse the guard we're about to be attacked!" Deadpaw did not question but bowed and hurried out of his master's chamber. "Oh one more thing Deadpaw, bring that slave Glendal to me. I might have found a use for her after all."

Problems in life are never resolved by distancing yourself from them. Escape is never the safest plan nor the safest place.

SandyB

Out on the top step, Deadpaw had gathered his guard to watch for the intruders. The guards had peered over the top step to see below them but no-one was there. Some stormvermin became impatient and started conversing in hushed tones, "So, why's we out 'ere agin?"
   "Lordship says there's gonna be an attack,"
   "Attack? I can't sees anybeast down there,"
   "Excuse me chaps. Sorry to be a bother an all, but do you jolly stinkers know where a bod can find a drink, wot!" The front group of guards spun around in disbelief to see George propping himself up against the slumped body of a knocked out guard, drinking daintily from a tea cup. "Wha, where in the name of teeth and blood did you come from?"
   "Oh, here an' there. Mainly there old bean!"
   Deadpaw emerged from the entrance hall to investigate the commotion, "What's going on out, who's thi - Gaargh!" Deadpaw fell to the ground clutching his throat tightly with a barbed shaft protruding from the wound in the back of his neck. The stormvermin hesitated for a second before Mattimeo leapt from some undergrowth sword ready,  screaming, "Reeedwaaaaaallll!"
Wataru, Sandokhan and Farlo heard Mattimeo's warcry as clearly as a stream in springtime. The trio of Stormvermin patrolling the back door suddenly took up their armaments and ran for the front of the mansion. "Mattimeo certainly has lungs like bellows," said Farlo. Seeing their chance, the three warriors opened the door slowly. Wataru was inside like a shot, checking for activity in all directions. He signalled the others inside with a movement of his paw, urging them to follow. Inside was surprisingly clean and tidy, it seemed that the original architecture hadn't been altered in any way. The trio walked through what was originally the student's dormitory and slid the door open. There up on a balcony overlooking the mansion's hall, dressed in full armour was the beast they were all looking for, Jagee the ferret. All three stepped forward and gazed upwards with hardened glares. "Jagee..." said Sandokhan.
   "Sandokhan," Jagee said mockingly. "I'm very glad to see you... alive." Wataru drew his katana, "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't slice and dice you," the otter growled. "And Wataru! Nice to see you as well, friend."
   "You're no friend of mine after what you've done!"
   "Why do you side with the gaijin, Wataru? You have nobility, I was going to seat you high in my council. But since you've sided with the gaijin, well... guilty by association I suppose. Enough of this, let the sport begin." With that, Jagee snapped his claws and a female dormouse slave was paraded in front of them with a Stormvermin escort. Farlo immediately knew who she was, "Glendal!"
   "Farlo!"
   The dormouse made a lunge but his wife's escort put spearblades to her throat. "Would you kill to get her back dormouse?" Jagee asked. Farlo nodded dumbly in reply. Jagee now saw his chance, "Then do us both a favour, kill Sandokhan. Kill the fox and your wife will be free to go." Farlo reached for the hilt of his scimitar and looked at Sandokhan. "Farlo, you know he's lying."
   "Refuse me dormouse and your wife shall die!" Blinded by rage Farlo drew his weapon and made a charge at Sandokhan. Wataru stood back as he watched his friend dodge nearly every advance Farlo made. The fox unsheathed his weapon with lightening speed as Farlo made a downwards slash. Farlo's scimitar met the Starfire katana with a high pitched clang with sparks flying off the metal as the blades grinded together. "Jagee's a coward! Don't you see? He needs you to fight for him because he's frightened of me," said Sandokhan.
   Farlo saw sense in his new friends' words and submitted, sheathing his sword. Jagee applauded slowly, "Oh well done! I must admit you're more clever than I thought. But there is a flaw in your logic, you assume by calling me a coward that I'll jump down from here and give you a taste of proper skill. But it won't work. My skill far exceeds your own."
   "Hiding behind a mousemaid? That's sounds like a cowardly thing to me."
   "Everybeast throughout this domain will tremble at my will, fox!"
   "If you were half the warrior our master was, you'd..."
   "I AM TEN TIMES WHAT OUR OLD SWORDMASTER WAS!" Jagee bellowed in rage from the balcony.
   "Really? Prove it!" Sandokhan said in a challenging tone. Jagee grinded his teeth together in anger, "Rrrr! Then again fox, you're right. Why should I let the dormouse have all the fun, when I could take great pleasure in finishing you off myself! Stormvermin, watch over the otter, the wench and her husband. I'll deal with them later."
   "Is that panic I hear in your voice Jagee? Don't worry it'll all be over soon."
The two samurai stood before one another in their old dormitory away from the others to ensure of no outside interference and Jagee started with the mind games. "Now Sandokhan you shall suffer as I have suffered!"
   "What you have suffered is nothing in comparison to the suffering you have made others endure,"
   "Oh really?" Jagee unsheathed his tanto dagger and tapped his glass eye with the point of the weapon. "I still remember the day you gave me this. I will admit it, the finest beating I ever took. The only reason I had to go on living was to ensure your death."
   "Jagee, why did you send Stormvermin after me when you could've easily finished me off back in the dojo?"
   "Yes, that was a mistake. I shouldn't have listened to Mangetail," Jagee replied sheathing his tanto and reaching for the grip of his katana.
   "Who?"
   "Hmm, almost let it slip. Enough talk, die gaijin!" Jagee lunged at Sandokhan drawing his katana like lightning. Sandokhan managed to dodge the attack while drawing his own katana. The combatants both exchanged glancing blows then locked blades, Jagee tried to push Sandokhan back with his brute strength. Their snouts were almost touching when Jagee got a closer look of Sandokhan's sword and read the inscription on it; 'Challenge me when you're ready to duel a saint'.
   Jagee's eyes went wide in a gripping sense of fear. "What? No! Impossible!" Sandokhan saw his chance and broke free of Jagee's hold. But the ferret was quicker than the fox, he made a swipe and sliced Sandokhan's leg. Jagee then examined his weapon for the first time. The characters were wrong. "Greet the new day'? What is this?" Jagee demanded. He was so bewildered that the sword wasn't the Starfire, he didn't notice Sandokhan making a lunge at him.
   Jagee parried, the vibrations of steel against steel rang throughout Sandokhan's paw. He tried to square up against Jagee but the pain became to great to ignore. The fox fell to his knees with his katana slipping from his grasp. Jagee approached his old sparring partner with a murderous gleam in his crooked smile. "Well, I'm surprised. I ruled this domain with an iron resolve and I did it without the Starfire." Jagee grabbed the Starfire katana, "It also looks like I was right all along. You should've preserved your honour and dignity when you had the chance. When I'm done with you, I'll round up Wataru and all your westerner friends and I'll make them tell me everything about this resistance of yours. Don't worry fox, after I'm done torturing them I'll kill them quickly," said Jagee mockingly before stabbing Sandokhan through the armpit with his tanto dagger. As Sandokhan howled in pain, Jagee pulled him closer and whispered in his ear, "Before you die, I want to tell you my little secret; I killed our master!"
   Sandokhan now used all his strength to ignore every lance of searing pain that pulsated through his body. He drew his smaller wakizashi and ran Jagee through the middle with it. The ferret released his grip on the tanto and the Starfire before he staggered backwards with Sandokhan's blade protruding from the wound. The fox pulled the tanto out and with the skill of an experienced knife thrower hurled it at Jagee. The small blade found it's target, imbedding deep in the ferret's throat. Jagee fell to his knees in pain. Sandokhan retreived his katana and hobbled over towards Jagee, knelt down and pulled the tanto free. Jagee clamped a paw over the wound, hoping to stop the torrent of blood. "Why... why can't I kill you? I had the Starfire... I... was destined to win," Jagee groaned.
   "I guess Master Krinz didn't teach you anything!" Sandokhan replied sternly. "Just because you posess a sword, doesn't make you a warrior. The only thing that makes a Samurai great, is their perception and will. NOT their blades." The fox then pulled the wakizashi free and cleaned the blade before sheathing it away. "I want to know one thing before you die; Ikkit Claw, where is he?" Jagee spat up blood before he said in a gravelly tone, "Lon's... pagoda below... Southern Cross... To die... by that blade will be... the greatest honour... of my life. Finish it."
   Sandokhan obliged he took the Starfire katana and swung it back before slicing through Jagee's neck, the head bumping and rolling on the floor. As Sandokhan stared at the headless form he couldn't help shed a tear for his old friend. He shook his head despairingly and muttered, "What a waste."
Out in the old gymnasium, nobeast was fighting. They were all waiting on the victor of the duel in the next room. Both Farlo and Wateru were anxious with anticpation. After what seemed like an eternity the dormitory door slid open and stood there was Sandokhan. Wataru face beamed with happiness before both he and Farlo unsheathed weapons, "The Shogun's Head-taker is victorious, fight on friend," Wataru yelled to Farlo.
   As Farlo and Wataru started on the remaining Stormvermin, Sandokhan slumped down next to a corner out of way. Farlo was in a fit of rage, despatching every single rat who tried to get in his way. The doremouse managed to kill the last of his wife's captors and set her free of her manacles. Glendal embraced Farlo and smothered him with relentless kissing. "I knew you'd come," she said. "There is no way in heaven nor earth that I wouldn't come for you, my love." Wataru had killed another rat before rushing over to tend to Sandokhan. By this time Mattimeo, George and Elmtail had ventured into the mansion to see what was transpiring. All three looked around at the gore soaked scene before Mattimeo jumped into the melee. Elmtail helped Wataru with Sandokhan. "Are you alright?"
   "Not really, Redwaller. Jagee sliced my leg open, I can barely walk on it as it is," Sandokhan explained. Elmtail touched under the fox's shoulder and saw red blood smeared on his paws. "You're wounded,"
   "Just my shoulder I'll be fine."  Mattimeo, George and Farlo formed a wall in front of Glendal, cutting down any Stormvermin who dared to venture close enough. All of a sudden a mob of yelling and screaming creatures armed with broken chains for weaponry, charged into the room. Followed at the rear by Flugg and Cheek, the captive slaves looked around for anybeast to take their rage out on. "Cheek, what's all this?" Mattimeo yelled out over the noise. "The slaves," Cheek replied, "We freed them all!" The slaves took great pleasure in exacting their vengeance upon what remained of Jagee's personal guard. As quickly as it started, the battle stopped. Blades were wiped clean and congratulations were given all round.  As George and Wataru helped Sandokhan to his footpaws, the slaves all gaped at the fox and bowed respectively. "I'm going to have to get used to all the bowing again," he smiled at Wataru. "I think we should get out of here and back to Takashiro," said Cheek. "Agreed. Let's get out of here," Mattimeo seconded.
   When they got to the front door George was the first to venture outside. Nothing could prepare him for what he saw next, down at the bottom of the stone steps was six score of Stormvermin archers armed with fire arrows and rifle-rats with their spotters. Down below, mounted on his black scorpion, watching through his spyglass General Gash issued the order.
   "NOOOWWWWWW!" He bellowed. George bucked and galloped back inside just as the rifle-rats fired their first volley. Everybeast ducked down upon hearing the tremendous bang and the repetitive thumps against the wooden frames. "What's happening?" said Flugg. "It's those flippin' rats, sah! They've got us in a bleedin' trap!"
   Gash had wasted no resource he had summoned six sturdy trebuches all loaded with rocks encased in dry grass soaked in lamp oil. The gunners set light to their ammunition before hurling it at the mansion above them. Several rocks found their target and set fire to what was left.
   "Keep firing," Gash shouted. "Raise that building to the ground!"
Inside, billowing black smoke choked warrior and former slave alike. Mattimeo spluttered uncontrollably whilst trying to think of a way out. He then heard a voice to his right, "Psst! Strangers, Wataru, Lord Sandokhan over here!" A trapdoor had opened up in one of the side room and a mouse was urging them to follow him. There was no time to place trust all present followed the mouse down the trapdoor. The door led down to the mansion's cellar where a great boulder was pushed aside revealing a well lit tunnel. The party managed to get through in time to hear the roof giving way with a mighty crash. "Quick, into the tunnel. You'll be safe there. Hey, could some of you freed slaves help me push this boulder back into place? I can't do it on my own." A handful of slaves happily obliged. With a few hard shoves the boulder rolled into place sealing the tunnel from view.
   Outside, despite the major structure damage Gash still wasn't satisfied. He still urged his rifle-rats to carry on firing at what little remained. Just then, he caught a glimpse of a scorpion with Mangetail, Claw's seer, mounted upon it. Gash was not at all pleased to see the seer, "What do you want?" Gash snapped. "You will withdraw your troops immediately," said Mangetail.
   "Begone from my sight!"
   "That is not a request, it is an order. Move!"
   "On who's authority?"
   "On the authority of the Honoured Claw. Now cease fire and withdraw!"

The escape tunnel was cool and comfortable compare to the searing heat of the burning mansion the slaves and warriors had escaped from. The mouse who had lead them to the tunnel bounded on ahead excitedly. "I can't believe you've come. You know, you lot have really stirred up a hornet's nest since you've arrived," said the mouse. Mattimeo studied their new friends' features before he recognised him, "Aren't you the mouse that was going to be executed back in Takashiro?"
   "Yes. A group of intellectuals, runaway slaves and monks have set up a resistance against Ikkit Claw. You can call me Allyosha, that's not my real name of course. This is exciting, it's just like he said!"
   "He? Somebeast knew we were coming?" Mattimeo enquired.
   "We have no time to explain. You'll learn everything when we reach our sanctum," said Allyosha. As the tunnel widened out into large underground caverns, Sandokhan could see monks of Tin-Jin's order keeping lookout on rocky overhangs throughout the cave system, armed with wooden staffs. Still aided by Wataru and George, Sandokhan hobbled along as best he could. When he passed by an alcove in the rock, the fox heard a familiar voice call to him, "So, the disgraced has returned from his hiding!" Sandokhan turned round and saw the white wolf, Fujokai. "Nice to see you too," Sandokhan replied. "Ee gad, a wolf!" George cried out. "It's alright George, he's on our side," said Wataru reassuringly. Sandokhan shrugged off his helpers and confronted the white wolf, "If I were truly disgraced I would never have returned at all." Fujokai sniffed the fox's scent, "The smell of blood from fresh wounds. Been in a duel have we?"
   "Yes, Jagee is dead," Sandokhan replied.
   "Perfect, the right hand has been cut down," Fujokai said before he stood aside allowing the fox and his companions to pass by. The resistances' sanctum reminded Elmtail and Mattimeo of Cavern Hole back at Redwall Abbey. The great cave was illuminated by lanterns and candles with moths flying lazily into the light. Allyosha took charge of Sandokhan, "I will take Lord Sandokhan to the infirmary. There is a hot spring in the next cavern where you may all refresh yourselves. Some tea and food will be brought to you in time."
   The hot bath was indeed refreshing for the traveller's tired limbs. Garbed in giis Mattimeo and his friends waited in the sanctum for news of Sandokhan. His nurse, the vixen Ritsuko emerged from a passageway with dirty bandages. Mattimeo rose to his feet but was stopped by Wataru, "If there was any news on Sandy's condition we would be the first to know. Until he's well again, we must make plans." And so Mattimeo and the others from the western lands made plans for the liberation of the Jima Islands.
At Ikkit's Claw's summer palace, formally Lon's pagoda, Mangetail walked down the passage to the throne room where wearets fought Stormvermin troops stripping them of their weapons and badges of authority. As the seer entered the throne room General Gash and his closest advisors were exchanging harsh words with the Honoured Claw. "This decision is completely unprecedented and totally unacceptable, Your Lordship,"
   "Lord Jagee, a trusted instrument of mine, is dead General. It was YOUR decision to reduce the Lord's household to ashes. Ergo, YOUR troops may have contributed to his demise."
   "His murderers were within my grasp. If you had not given my troops the order to withdraw..." said Gash raising his voice and pointing an accusing claw.
   "Are you questioning my judgements?"
   Gash paused. "No, Honoured Claw. I am only expressing my concern that the wearets..." Gash was silenced mid sentence by a wave of Ikkit's massive brazen claw. "A complete recommission of the guard was a radical step. However recent events have made it abundantly clear that the Stormvermin can no longer guarantee my safety."
   "As supreme commander of the forces of the Claw, I will make a formal complaint to the regional governors of the Eshin realm. Maybe I can get more support for my efforts there," said Gash as he signalled his advisors to follow. Before he followed the rest out of the throne room, Gash turned back towards his master, "My council of officers and myself will be protesting this decision strongly... Honoured One!" As the door slid shut, Ikkit Claw slumped back into his throne and sighed with extreme weariness and frustration, "Ahh. Politics, how tiresome! Did you know my seer, Gash has threatened to recall all his troops back to Eshin over this... exchange of hats?"
   "The Stormvermin have always been the Claws' protectors. Ever since your father and your fathers' father,"
   "If it wasn't for my ancestors the Stormvermin as an effective military force wouldn't exist! Perhaps Gash should think about that sometime before he dies," Claw said before turning to the wearet chieftain, now newly appointed general of the forces of the Claw. "Gash is now to be considered a rogue element. He is unreliable and cannot be trusted,"
   "Oi agree, Moi Lord,"
   "Eliminate him, Roygel. Immediately!" The massive hulking beast bowed to his master before leaving the throne room, setting himself to his task at hand. Ikkit Claw turned his attention back to Mangetail, "Now my seer, are your visions clear?"
   "Er, that's what I've come to talk to you about, Honoured One. My visions have become tainted," said Mangetail. Claw fixed him with a freezing glance, "Tainted? What do you mean by tainted?"
   "A few days ago my eye within became blocked. Now all I see on the spiritual plane is a mouse in strange armour and a sword,"
   "An omen?"
   "I cannot be sure, Great One. But this apparition has a name, Martin." Claw stroked his beard with his flesh claw thinking hard about Mangetail's vision. "I have not heard this name before and it is not a name in our mythology. I have a feeling things will get very interesting very soon."
Sandokhans' leg was still healing from his duel with Jagee, but the gesture of Ritsuko being his nurse did lighten his heart a little. She had told him the exploits of the resistance ever since he left. They both laughed heartily as she finished relating a tale, "Hahahaha, and that Stormvermin captain was never heard from again!" Sandokhan wiped tears of mirth from his eyes before catching a glimpse at the white wolf. Ritsuko suddenly stopped laughing and stood up straight. "I want a word, alone."
   Ritsuko bowed politely to Fujokai before leaving the infirmary. "Six? This is the mighty army that will overthrow the might of the Eshin war host?"
   "They are my council. A monumental task will require careful planning and a small band like mine will be less likely to attract unwanted attention."
   "Am I also to assume that you will be overseeing everything?"
   "Not quite. I'm going to need your help in training the slaves we've freed," Sandokhan proposed.
   "They are not built for combat and unworthy to learn the way of the warrior,"
   "Under your and my own instruction we can mould them into an unstoppable force. We can make them strong and make them worthy to learn our art,"
   "We are not supposed to teach outsiders. It is one of Bushidos' most upheld laws,"
   "Only outsiders we can't trust and I trust Mattimeo and the others with my own life. Besides I havn't heard stories of your daring and valour since I've been gone," said Sandokhan. Fujokai grinded his teeth in annoyance. In a fury he grabbed Sandokhan and pinned him violently into his futon. "Would you like to know?" He growled through clenched, sharp teeth. "After Niji Gate fell and you abandonned us, my only thoughts were those of my wife and daughter. I went back to Yoshino only to find the place a Stormvermin garrison. My own home was turned into a filthy barracks! That's when I saw them! The two of them lying in a ditch next to a road. The vile scum didn't even bother to give them a decent burial. I managed to meet a small Samurai clan in hiding and we launched lightning raids against Stormvermin garrisons. One day, we were ambushed. If it wasn't for the Blue Samurai we wouldn't have survived."
   "The who?" Sandokhan asked. "A warrior of grand skill and discipline. We do not know his name, but all we know is that he wears blue armour," Fujokai replied.
   "I'm sorry... for your loss," Sandokhan said. Fujokai grabbed the Starfire and pressed it into the foxs' grasp. "If you were truly sorry, you'd know what to do."
   "My honour may have suffered a blow, but I am not completely without honour. Not yet," Sandokhan said as he moved to stand up, using nearby bamboo cane for leverage. "Come on, it's time to make a strategy," said Sandokhan as the wolf followed him out of the infirmary.

General Gash had commanded all his garrisoned troops to board their respective vessels and set sail for Eshin as soon as possible. That night, the rat general walked along the western shoreline of Mochizuki waiting for Shraggs and his ship Sharkblood to take him west. He paused for a while and sniffed the air. He smelt something burning, Gash peered through his spyglass at the horizon. One of his ships was on fire. Gash ran to the shoreline and saw debris floating on the tide line. He saw another burning hulk further up the shore washed up by the tide. When he got closer, Gash could still read the name of the ship amid the smouldering timbers; Sharkblood. All around him were corpses of his troops, he recognised Major Queek among the dead. Suddenly, the rat felt something grab his leg. There, half buried in the sand, lay Shraggs with sand crusting over his wounds. "Shraggs, what happened?"
   "Wearets... Roygel came lookin' fer ya. Me an' the lads told 'im we's ain't seen ya. Then 'is tribe boarded me ship and the slaughter began. He finished it all off by burnin' me lovely Sharkblood. Sorry mate, we were no match fer 'em," said Shraggs before his eyes glazed over and collapsed back onto the shifting sands. "Aw, poor, poor Shraggs!"
   Gash turned round like a shot and saw Roygel and a group of wearets surround him. The Stormvermin general instinctively drew his sword. "Oi's put dat away if Oi was yous. Make it easier fer us," said Roygel. Gash looked around him and refused to yield, "Easier? For what?" The massive wearet chieftain brandished his club menacingly. "Gettin' rid of yous and gettin' da rest uv you rats back in line," said Roygel.
   "When the Honoured Claw learns of this, he'll have your head," said Gash readying himself for a charge.
   "When 'e learns? Rererere, fool! Da 'Onoured Claw ordered me ter do it!" Gashs' eyes went wide, his rank wasn't going to save him this time. Gash then thought of this as the perfect time to finally issue his challenge, the rat gritted his teeth, "Then come on you thick headed rabble. I'm more than a match for all of you!"
Over the course of the night, Sandokhan had told the slaves of his plans to teach them the sword. Many of the slaves were lesser Samurai who had some basic knowledge of of the art, but nothing that would prove useful in battle. Elmtail and Fujokai offered to teach archery skills and George paw-to-paw fighting. Cheek had decided to let Sandokhan train him in sword skill. But the fox had plans for Mattimeo and Wataru. He sat the mouse and otter down as he briefed him on their task, "Wataru, when I was recovering I had an idea. Do you remember the mouse-maid Tigerlilly?"
   "Remember, how could I forget? Her relentless pestering of Ryu used to drive me insane," Wataru remarked. "Have you heard from her at all?" Wataru thought hard on the matter, "Well, I do remember seeing her at Tin-Jins' monestary after Niji gate fell. Losing Ryu broke her heart, I hear she lives out her life alone in the foothills of Kuma Mountain."
   "Isn't that where the dragon is supposed to live?" Mattimeo asked. "Matty, that's just a legend," Wataru scoffed. "Regardless," Sandokhan continued, "I want you two to go to Kuma Mountain and find Tigerlilly."
   "It'll take us quite some time getting there. With all the paths and roads swarming with Stormvermin patrols we'll have to go cross country," Wataru explained. Mattimeo then rose from his seat, "How long exactly?"
   "About... two or three days getting there and another two to get back here," the otter replied. "Better get a move on," Mattimeo motioned. Wataru and Mattimeo retired to their dormitories to prepare themselves. Sandokhan noticed Farlo had been standing by the back wall of the cavern. "Farlo? I thought you and Glendal would've been making plans to return to Lanka by now."
   "There is nothing left for us there anymore. Besides it seems you may need my help," said Farlo. Sandokhan smiled, "You may be right. But our numbers are still too small for pitched battle and if we do raids, trying to grind the Eshin army down, it could take seasons even years to liberate Jima." Just then, the sound of footsteps echoed throughout the caves. Allyosha came bursting into the fox's' presence, bending over trying to catch his breath. "What is it Allyosha?"
   "My Lord, you'll never believe this," he panted. After a few deep breathes the mouse regained his composure and made his report, "I've just heard from our spies, the Stormvermin troop patrols throughout most of Jima have all been replaced by wearet berzerkers," Allyosha explained. "Go on," Sandokhan replied.
   "Ever since General Gashs' failure in protecting Jagee, Claw has grown increasingly paranoid. He's even convinced himself that his most closest advisors are conspiring against him. From what I've heard Claw sent the wearet high-chieftain to kill Gash and his inner circle of officers and the Stormvermin are in an uproar over the whole affair. There's even talk that Claw might have an uprising on his paws and also there's been skirmishes between Stormvermin rats and wearets in Yoshino Province." Sandokhan was lost for words, the unstoppable and undefeatable momentum of the Eshin army was starting to collapse in on itself. "In that case we won't have to lift a claw," Farlo commented. "Think about it Sandokhan. If Claws' army are going at each others' throats the in-fighting might exhaust them both," he added.
   "And if the wearets emerge victorious, then what? We'll be back right where we started. I'd rather fight Stormvermin rats than those unstable juggernauts," said Sandokhan. "You've done well Allyosha, go tell Lord Fujokai exactly what you have told me," he added before Allyosha bowed politely and left Sandokhan and Farlo to look for the white wolf.
While walking around the vast cave system, Sandokhan stopped by a cavern the monks had turned into a shrine. The cave was decorated with numerous trinkets of silver and gold with silk awnings hanging from the stalactites that jutted down from the rocky ceiling. In the centre of the stone floor was an idol of a mouse sitting cross-legged made from gold, which the monks had draped in chains of wild flowers. The monks of Tin-Jins' order had gathered some plates of food and placed them before the statue whilst chanting their mantras.
   "'Tis a bit rude, wot! I mean not having the common decency to attend a meal," Sandokhan urged George to be quiet. "Sorry, old chap," the hare whispered. "What are they doing?"
   "It's like saying grace more or less. They believe that idol is an embodiment of the enlightened one and he always gets first taste of the food we eat. They fast, pray, meditate, trying to reach enlightenment, inner peace and wisdom. Trying to better themselves through the perfection of their souls," the fox explained. "How's the old leg?"
   "It still pains me to walk on it but it is getting better. If Jagee had practised his sword skill as much as he fantasised about killing me I would've lost the entire leg," Sandokhan replied. "There was something else I wanted to ask you. We'll soon start training the slaves we freed, would you be so kind to teach them paw-to-paw combat?"
   "Of course, of course. When do we start?"
   "Tomorrow."

"Up! Up everyone," said Fujokai clapping his paws together. Some lifted their heads off their pillows, rubbing sleep from their eyes while others just muttered as they rolled over. "The Guardian of Yoshino gave you an order," Sandokhan shouted as he hobbled into the dormitory. After breakfast, the slaves and fighters all chose their combat disciplines. Log-a-log Flugg and Cheek were in line with the other resistance trainees, practising downward slashing movements with their wooden bokkens. Sandokhan limped in-between the ranks and files correcting stances. When he passed by Cheek the fox paused and urged the otter to stop. Sandokhan then adjusted Cheeks' grip, making his paws further apart. Cheek bowed to the fox before continuing his training. In the adjacent cavern, Fujokai and Elmtail had prepared wooden targets for the bow-beasts to practice. Elmtail and the wolf were having a light competition of marksmanship. Elmtail released the first shaft and struck a bullseye. Fujokai looked on, "Not bad," he commented before notching an arrow to his bow. The wolf however, paced back another ten feet before taking aim. Elmtail looked on completely puzzled, thinking the wolf could never get a good shot from that far away. Fujokais' aim was true, the arrowhead skimmed Elmtails' shaft and embedded in the bullseye next to the squirrels'. Elmtails' jaw dropped open, "Whoa!"
   In the next cave, George was training some of the freed slaves in some paw-to-paw combat moves. The monks had made a wooden effigy of a Stormvermin rat. "Now then chaps, what I'm about to show you is -" the hare looked around only seeing blank stares. George sighed wearily, "Ahh, you bods don't even have a clue of what I'm going on about. Where's a flippin' translator when you bally need one, wot!"

Meanwhile Wataru and Mattimeo were entering the foothills of Kuma Mountain The ginormous rock loomed on the horizon with wisps of clouds shrouding its' summit. Mattimeo peered off into the distance, "And that's where the dragon lives?"
   "That's it, Kuma Mountain," Wataru replied. "If I remember my Jimanese, 'Kuma' means 'Bear'," Mattimeo remarked. "Why do you call it Bear Mountain?"
   "You'll know when we get closer," said Wataru. The mouse and the otter were making good time. By twilight the pair had made camp on a gentle slope near the top of the first hill they had to climb. They lit a small fire and Wataru put some rice to boil. Mattimeo lay on his back letting the flames warmly refresh his aching feet. The moon was bright, radiating the earth with its' ghostly aura as stars made patterns in the sky. "How much further do we have to go?" Mattimeo asked. "Not much further now. Should take another day at most," the otter replied, stirring the simmering rice. "Supper's nearly done," he added. "This place is strange," said Mattimeo. "I can't shake the feeling that we're being watched." Wataru filled a bowl and handed it to the mouse warrior, "I know what you mean. But whatever it is I doubt it's malevolent. If it were we'd be fighting for our lives right now." After supper Wataru and Mattimeo retired to bed. When the pair awoke, they noticed that somebeast had been rummaging around their camp. The knapsacks that were once filled with food were empty, but mysteriously their weapons had been left alone. "Paw prints!" Mattimeo called out. The otter rushed to Mattimeos' side as the warrior mouse pointed out two sets. One set looked like they were made by a small creature like a squirrel or a mouse but the second set were huge. "They seem to lead west, towards the mountain," said Wataru. "Tigerlilly?
   "I don't know. Perhaps we should follow them," said Wataru.

In time the two warriors had found a paved road, there the paw prints stopped. "Can't track prints over stone," said Mattimeo. "Perhaps we should follow the road," Wataru motioned. "Are you sure that's wise? What about Stormvermin patrols?"
   "I don't think there are any Stormvermin around Kuma Mountain Ever since the war they've been giving the mountain a wide berth. It's like they're afraid,"
   "Afraid? Of what?"
   "I don't know. Maybe we'll find out when we get closer."

When twilight arrived Mattimeo and Wataru had taken shelter in an old monestary. With the food gone, the two warriors had to settle for what they found off the land along the road. Back at Redwall, Mattimeo had learnt how to make a good soup. As Mattimeo slurped the remainder in his bowl Wataru was sharpening the edge of his sword with a grindstone. "Urp! That was nice. What's wrong Samurai? You've been quiet ever since we sat down to supper."
   "That feeling you had last night about being watched. I feel it even stronger now."
   "Do you mean like somebeast is here in the room with us?"
   "Like they're right outside the front door peering in at us." Mattimeo took a piece of firewood and lit it like a torch. He walked out into the chilled night air and looked around him. Satisfied by the lack of activity Mattimeo retired back inside and threw the wood on the fire. "No-one there," he said. Wataru tried to put the feeling from his mind, but when the otter retired he slept with his wakizashi under his pillow. When Mattimeo awoke the next morning, he was staring into the eyes of a ginormous creature.

Problems in life are never resolved by distancing yourself from them. Escape is never the safest plan nor the safest place.

SandyB

Back at the resistances' sanctum, the monks were attending to the wounded GUOSIM shrews from Takashiro village. Several of Tsuzukus' otters were also wounded, some fatally. One of Tsuzukus' lieutenants, a burly looking otter was relating the story of what happened. "They completely surprised us! A bunch of wearets just paraded into town and then the slaughter began. On my oath My Lord, we fought. But they were too strong for us to make it a fair fight."
   "You and the shrews did your best. That's all I ever ask of you," said Sandokhan reassuringly. He then turned to Fujokai, "It's starting,"
   "Claws' paranoia seems to be getting worse. It appears that he's ordering his wearets to put down any clear threat to him,"
   "I guess it makes sense when your greatest threat happens to be the army you once commanded," the fox replied. Allyosha appeared at the back of the cavern, his face a picture of concern. "Excuse me,"
   "Allyosha, what's wrong?" Fujokai asked.
   "What happened in Takashiro is happening all over Jima. The remainder of the Stormvermin have gone into hiding and, Lord Sandokhan, I have some bad news. In Edu village, where you grew up, the wearets started killing villagers to keep them in line and there was an old fox among the ones who were killed. My Lord, your father is dead," said Allyosha, his tone of voice becoming sombre. The fox said nothing, but Allyosha had more to report. "Just one more thing, you should go to the infirmary. I think you'll want to have a look at who we found."
   When Sandokhan and Fujokai made their way down to the infirmary, they found a Stormvermin rat lying unconscious in one of the sickbeds. "I don't understand," said Sandokhan. Fujokai had discovered the rat's grubby, bloodstained curiass decorated with pips and insignia of his office. "Look," the wolf said as he displayed it to Sandokhan. "Generals' insignia."
   "By the fang," the fox exclaimed, "General Gash!"
   "When we found him he was battered half to death. Nearly every bone in his body was smashed and he was barely breathing," Allyosha explained. Sandokhan had a brainwave, "Allyosha, could you retrieve my fathers' body before those vile things throw it in the river. The least we can do for my father is give him a decent burial." The mouse bowed politely before setting himself to his task, then Sandokhan then turned to the wolf, "Fujokai, what would you say if I made a deal with the devil?"
   "What?"
   "I think we've just found ourselves the army we need to liberate Jima."
Mattimeo was frightened rigid. The massive creature was a hundred times his size, white face, black fur bordered its' eyes and his paws were so massive that the mouse thought they could crush his head. Mattimeo drew the sword of Martin and the gargantuan beast backed away into a corner and covered its' ears in a cowering manner. Wataru was up like a shot, wakizashi drawn. "Away with your weapons," the beast cowered, "I mean you no harm!"
   "Who are you? Are you the creature that's been stealing our food?"
   "I was hungry," the creature replied. "Why you here?"
   Mattimeo put the sword back in his scabbard, "We're looking for somebeast. A mouse-maid," he said. The creatures' ears perked up, "Mousey-maid? Does she have two katanas?"
   "Yes," Wataru answered as he sheathed his wakizashi. "Do you know her?"
   "She lives with us," the creature nodded. "She protects us from bad rats." The giant creature then walked through the front door into the morning sun, urging the otter and mouse to follow. "What do you think Wataru?"
   "Let's follow him. Don't worry Mattimeo, we'll be fine. I think he was just curious about us," Wataru replied. "Besides I think I've seen his kind somewhere before."
   The great creature had carried the two warriors on his back up the road which lead up to Kuma Mountain itself. The creature had brought them to what looked like to the warriors, a small hamlet village nestled on the foot of the mountain. Mattimeo looked up at the ginormous mountain and saw the likeness of a ferocious bear carved into the side of the rock face. "That's why it's called Kuma Mountain," said Wataru. The big beast let them climb down off its' back and wandered off to find his kind. The others of the tribe emerged slowly from their dwellings and crowded around the two warriors. "I knew I had seen them before," Wataru exclaimed. "Who are they?"
   "Pandas! Mountain kumas!"
   "What's all this?" A voice called out. The tribe parted and the two warriors saw a mouse dressed in Samurai armour with two katanas thrust into the belt. Wataru uttered a name, "Ryu?" The Samurai then made his way through the crowd of pandas and stood before the otter. "You knew my love?"
   "Of course I did. I used to train with Ryu everyday," Wataru replied. "Wataru, is it really you? You've fianlly returned from the west?" The Samurai mouse then took off her helmet. "Tigerlilly," Wataru exclaimed before the two Samurai embraced each other. Tigerlilly then caught sight of Mattimeo and started eyeing him up, "Good day! My name is Tigerlilly and I am the guardian of the mountain. And you are?"
   Mattimeo bowed politely as he introduced himself, "Mattimeo of Redwall."
   "Redwall?"
   "It's a long story," Wataru explained. "Anyway, how did you come to live here with the mountain folk?"
   "Well, after my love died I wanted to leave Tin-Jins' monestary. I decided I needed time on my own to think and I thought Kuma Mountain would be the perfect place. Miles from anywhere, fresh, clean mountain air and far away from those horrid Stormvermin. On my way here, I was following the road one day and I found a patrol of those wicked vermin with one of this tribes' cubs tied to a steak. Saying they were going to eat him for supper because they ran out of food and preferred the taste of meat to wild roots and fruit. So I waited until nightfall and set the cub free and led him back to his mother. Since them, they accepted me as their protector," Tigerlilly explained. "What about the Stormvermin you ran into?" Mattimeo asked. "I gave them the same chance they gave my love; I slaughtered them all," she replied, her voice becoming cold and hateful. "But come, you two must be weary after travelling. Would the pair of you like some light refreshment?"
   "Yes please," they replied in unison.
That night in the village, Wataru and Mattimeo were surrounded by the panda tribe, all of the great creatures eager to hear stories. Mattimeo had related the story of his father rescuing him from the slaver fox Slagar, while Wataru told the tale of how he had found Sandokhan in Mossflower and convinced him to come back with him. "You found Sandy? He's alive?"
   "As alive as I am talking to you right now," Wataru nodded. The elders of the tribe then started conversing in hushed tones to one another. The chieftain then nodded at a female who came forward and perched a crown made of lotus petals on Watarus' and Mattimeos' heads. Tigerlilly then spread her paws wide, "Congratulations. You two are now part of the tribe!" The inauguration was celebrated by several large pandas beating huge drums whose notes soared into the night.
The hamlet also had a small hot spring that Mattimeo happily obliged to bathing in while Wataru on the other hand sat meditating in the cool night air. Mattimeo lay back and let out a grin as the warmth coursed through his body. "I'm going to miss this when I have to go home," he mused to himself. He then heard movement, he turned his head and saw Tigerlilly approach dressed in a kimono of deepest blue. She was starting to shed her garment but fastened it quickly when she saw Mattimeo. "Ah! Mattimeo Kun, I'm sorry I didn't know you were bathing tonight."
   "It's alright. You know, the only place in my homeland with springs like this is the mountain of the badgers," he replied.
   "Do you mind if I share your water?" Tigerlilly asked. "Erm, wouldn't you feel more comfortable if I left?"
   "Mattimeo Kun, you're married. I don't need to worry about you ravishing me," she said as she took off her kimono. Mattimeo blushed furiously and tried to avert his gaze as Tigerlilly immersed herself in the warm waters, sitting next to him. "Nothing relieves tired limbs quicker than a nice hot bath." In the somewhat uncomfortable pause that followed, the mousemaid became curious. "Mattimeo Kun, tell me more about Redwall," she asked as she linked arms with Mattimeo. "It's a grand sandstone building on the edge of a dusty path to the north and south, nestled on the fringes of a great forest. At dawn the sunlight illuminates the sandstone and makes our abbey radiate with a rosy hue and at this time of year in the orchard, the frost clings to every blade of grass. The Abbot guides us, sternly but fairly. We never turn away any creature in need of our help. However, I was willing to send Sandy away just because of his species. When I first met him, we rescued a family of voles who were attacked by bandits. I instinctively thought he was one of them. But we took him in and nursed him back to health. Then one day, he saved my son and from then on I've trusted my life with him. Also on the first day he taught me meditation, I had my first untroubled sleep in a long time."
   "Sandy has a noble heart and gentle spirit. He is a true Samurai," said Tigerlilly. "Wataru has asked me to return with you and aid you in the battle that lies ahead. There is no need for any further argument, I shall be returning with you. But the thing that pains me most is that I will leave this hamlet defenceless."
   "That's what I thought when Sandy first put together this little expedition. But the Abbey will be alright in my absence, because I have faith in my friends."
   "I suppose you're right, Mattimeo Kun."
The following morning, the entire hamlet turned out to greet the travellers farewell. Tigerlilly was making her tearful farewells, "Don't worry you lot. If I were a Stormvermin I wouldn't want to run into you lot." The panda that had brought Mattimeo and Wataru to his hamlet started rubbing his great head against the mousemaid. "You save me. Me no want you go," he said. Tigerlilly stroked the pandas' snout. "I'll come back," she said reassuringly. All three warriors walked side by side as they followed the long winding road down the mountainside into the foothills. Mattimeo allowed himself one last glimpse of the massive stone bear carved into the rock. He couldn't help but wonder, did the dragon carve that?

The mood of the resistance that same morning were sombre as the body of Sandokhans' father Christos was paraded to a grave freshly dug outside a tunnel that led to the sanctum of the resistance. When the body was laid into the grave, the monks chanted a prayer as Sandokhan tossed flowers onto the linen wrapped body. When the grave was filled in with earth and a headstone erected the fox addressed his friends. "I refuse to eulogize my father, because that would be accepting the fact that he has died. My father was a noble and wise fox. He taught me many things, how to respect other beasts and not to discriminate because they're not my species. How to tell what is right and what is wrong. But the most important lesson he taught me was no matter how many times you are knocked down or held back in life, you keep getting up. You keep going on, the past can never predict the future. For as long as I remember these teachings and keep them in my heart, my father is never truly dead. The first noble truth says, "Existence is suffering." And my father is not suffering anymore." The fox wiped away a tear from his cheek as one monk passed him a bowl of red dye which the fox used to write his fathers' name on the headstone as Fujokai lit some sticks of incense and planted them in the freshly dug grave. Then one by one, each of the resistance fighters paid their respects to Sandokhans' father.
"Wake up, rat!" Gashs' sight was a heavy blur that eased itself in time. Gash found himself surrounded by Samurai warriors all of them had their weapons drawn. Gash tried to sit up but the pain became too great for him to ignore and he slumped back down on his bed. "Squirm all you want," Fujokai snarled, "it won't help."
   "Samurai! What is this? Where am I? I demand to -"
   "You're in no position to demand anything, rat!"
   "Then kill me or release me, mountain dog. But don't waste my fleeting moments of life with talk!"
   "We have some questions to ask you. Chief among them, why has your master turned on your kind?"
   "That is no concern of yours," Gash snapped. "We're making it our concern when we thought we could help each other out," Sandokhan called from behind the wolf. Gash laughed, "Hahaha! And why exactly should I forge an alliance with you?"
   "We both have a common enemy. Do we not?" Gash nodded dumbly. "I... suppose so. Go on,"
   "This resistance movement has been trying relentlessly to think of a way to overthrow your former master. Then our spies got word of the little rift between you and the Honoured Claw. Now, you would have the Samurai on your side and I think you'll be able to get to whoever it was that wronged you," the fox explained. Gashs' face twisted with scorn as he spat the name of the wearet chieftain, "Roygel! Why does the Honoured Claw trust that simple minded thug?!"
   "Think of it; Stormvermin and Samurai fighting together and dying together for the same purpose; vengeance." Gash stroked his beard thinking hard, "State your terms."
   "When the Honoured Claw has fallen, Jima will belong to us again. Once victory has been declared I want your entire garrison to withdraw. You may return to Eshin and spread the word of what has happened and take your fight to the wearet tribes on the mainland. But you are never again to return to Jima. If you do, you have my word of honour that we shall not hesitate to slaughter you," Sandokhan replied.
   "You would've made a good Stormvermin officer, fox," Gash remarked as he wearily stretched out his paw. "You drive a hard bargain, but your reasoning is just. Deal?" The fox took his paw and shook it firmly. "Deal." As Gash slumped back into his bed the council of warriors conversed nervously to themselves. "Are you sure you know what you're doing?" Fujokai enquired in a gruff tone. "How do you know these vermin won't turn on us after we're done with their old master?" Elmtail asked. "Intimidate those who intimidate others, my friends," Sandokhan answered. Farlo however did not leave with the others. Instead he stood over Gash with his paws crossed eyeing the general moodily. Gash opened one eye, "Why do you glare at me so?"
   "Because you are the butcher that ordered the invasion of my home," Farlo said between clenched teeth.
   "You are mistaken, dormouse. I did not butcher anybeast, my paws are clean. I can't be held responsible if my troops carry out their tasks with an... overzealous attitude," Gash replied. In a fury Farlo drew his scimitar, "If you weren't lying wounded in that bed I'd kill you right here and now!"
   "FARLO!" Sandokhan called out behind him. "If you kill him, you would prove that I haven't taught you anything. There are far more important battles for you to fight." With that the dormouse sheathed his weapon, "You're getting off light!"
In the next days that followed, Mattimeo and Wataru had returned with Tigerlilly. When the mousemaid saw Sandokhan she leapt at him and hugged him tightly. "I thought I'd never see you again," she said. "I promised I'd come back and I have." The fox had to break the news of his fathers' passing. "Sandy I'm so sorry. I knew that your father was all you had left of your family," said Wataru sympathetically. "That's not all, friend. We've got ourselves a new ally," Sandokhan continued.
   "Who?" Dressed in full armour, Gash emerged from the shadows. Mattimeo, Wataru and Tigerlilly drew their weapons. "What is the meaning of this?" Said Wataru. "Hold on now. He's our newest friend,"
   "Oh! I didn't realise! He's your pal, is he? Your chum," said Mattimeo in a very sarcastic tone. "Have you completely forgotten what that rat is doing in your country?"
   "Problems with discipline I see," said Gash mockingly. "Enough! Wataru, Tigerlilly, Mattimeo lay down your arms at once!" The trio did as they were ordered as the fox explained. "Even with our numbers as they are we are still too weak. With Gashs' Stormvermin we can wipe out Claw and his wearet monsters. Since you're all now here, we can finally come up with a battle plan. Everybeast meet me in the atrium chamber after you've all refreshed yourselves."

Ikkit Claw was finding it hard to sleep. In his mind, he felt as if something was in the room with him and staring at him as he lay dozing. Every time he closed his eyes, he saw a mental picture of his new palace engulfed in flame with the mouse in armour standing over him, sword drawn. Why is this apparition haunting me, he thought to himself. He was no seer, why was he experiencing all these terrible visions? The rat sat up and climbed out of his bed. He opened the door to his chamber and saw his two wearet bodyguards curled up on the floor, snoring loudly. Claw kicked one of the wearets coldly, "Wake up!"
   The two wearets sat bolt upright and scrambled to their feet. "Lord! Are you in danger?"
   "Should we sounds the alarm?"
   "Too late fools! If there were an assassin I'd be dead with you two sleeping on the job! Bring Roygel to me, now!"
   "Der Chief may be sleepin,"
   "Then wake him!" Claw snapped back.
Roygel hated being woken up in the middle of the night, after being told the Honoured Claw wanted an audience with him Roygel delivered a hard head butt to his tribes-beast. Outside Claws' bedroom, Roygel yawned loudly before rapping heavily on the door. "Enter!" When the wearet chieftain opened the door, he saw his master standing on the balcony staring out at the horizon. "They're planning something,"
   "Lord?"
   "The resistance. Also I'm thinking that the Stormvermin problem hasn't gone away either," said Claw.
   "Moi Lord, Oi put Gash ter death. He won't bother yous ag'in," the wearet replied.
   "It's not Gash I'm worried about. Whoever killed Jagee should not be underestimated. When the dawn breaks, I want you to assemble your entire tribe and make defensive plans for this palace."
   "Don't worry Lord. The wearets will not fail you," Roygel said reassuringly.
   "I hope so Chieftain for your sake," Claw sneered.
The atrium chamber was lit by laterns with fireflies trapped inside them. The rattle of wings against paper and canvas adding a sense of serenity. Sandokhan and the others sat around Gash in a semi-circle, probing the general extensively for information about the wearets. "I've told you everything I practically know!" Gash snapped.
   "That's still not enough. Just knowing how big the Jima garrison is? You'll have to do better than that," Sandokhan replied.
   "Forgive me Samurai, but I can't giveaway information of a sensitive nature to just anybeast,"
   "We had a deal... apparently," Mattimeo perked up. "You help us overthrow your former master and in return, we help you hunt down the wearet high cheiftain."
   Sandokhan turned towards Fujokai, commenting in hushed tones, "What do you think?"
   "Perhaps we are asking the wrong kind of questions," Fujokai remarked in a whisper. "What do you suggest?"
   "Ask him about the wearets in general,"
   "What?" Sandokhan enquired, giving the white wolf a puzzled look.
   "Humour him."
   "Alright General, let's change topics. The wearets; what's their story?" Said Sandokhan.
   Gash laughed, "Hahaha! Why?"
   "Know your enemy," Sandokhan replied. Gash sighed wearily, "Very well. My great grandsire knew that lot were going to get too big for their boots one day."
   "Your ancestors were the ones who first found them?" Wataru enquired.
   "They were just tribes of nomads wandering the northern desert when we first found them. The realm was first expanding its' borders and we thought they would become useful when we needed to expand further. An army of bloodthirsty brutes ready to do our bidding. However, we first had to gain their trust. There were about twelve tribes all of them ruled under a council. When it came to electing a sole representitive to be an Eshin governor, no tribe would trust the other. So the cheiftain of the smallest or weakest tribe would be put forward as a neutral party."
   "What went wrong?" Sandokhan asked.
   "Roygel. That's what! When he became Cheiftain of his tribe, he arranged a meeting of all the other cheiftains, or "crunch" as they call it. He offered them a wonderful banquet, only he didn't tell them he had poisoned their food. With all competition crushed, Roygel murdered the wearet appointed governor and took over. I wouldn't be surprised if he was waiting for this opportunity all along." Sandokhan stroked his whiskers, digesting Gashs' words in his mind. "So what's been stopping him?" Sandokhan asked.
   "US! The Stormvermin, I mean. We were the only force powerful enough to stop the wearets getting their noses in where they didn't belong. Now with the Honoured Claw wanting us removed, nothing can stop them."
   "Almost nothing," Wataru replied.
   "That's right. This is your chance Gash. How long will it take you to gather your forces?"
   "Wait a minute," Gash protested. "What about this great battleplan you were supposed to come up with?"
   "One step at a time," Sandokan replied. "Now, how long?"
   "About a night and a day, but I will have to find my old sentries to spread the word to my units and regiments. Do not fear vulpine, you shall have your army," Gash replied. "Do whatever you have to do." As Gash left the cavern Sandokhan gave the rat a reminder, "Remember Gash, betrayal will be met with savage resolve and furious retribution."
   As he walked down a rocky passage, Gash mused to himself when he was out of earshot of the others, "Savage resolve? Ha! You wouldn't believe how many times I've heard that in my career. After I finish off Roygel, I'll let the wearets and the Samurai destroy each other. Then, this land shall become the new homeland of the Stormvermin, The New Manchuria. Then I will raise a massive army, one the world has never seen, a number that can not be counted. Anybeast that stands in my way, Shogun, Emperor, Sultan, Maharajah, even the Honoured Claw, shall die!"
    With Gash out of the way, Sandokhan and his council felt that they could conduct preparations more securely "There is still one weapon Claw has that can wreak havoc on our army and that's the black powder rifle. According to Gash most of his troops were stripped of these weapons and I think it's safe to say that the wearets are teaching themselves how to use them," Sandokhan mused. "So, I have asked Allyosha and some slaves to make barricades we can hide behind when the shooting starts."
   "And as soon as they reload we leap out and charge them," said Farlo. "Right. We charge as Fujokai, Elmtail and their archers cover us with a hail of arrows."
   "What about spotters?" Mattimeo enquired. "You've said rifle-teams are usually comprised of two. A gunner and a spotter."
   "Exactly," Sandokhan replied. "Which is why I'll need about twenty bales of hay or dry grass, anything that burns well. When they're set on fire they'll shroud the battlefield with thick smoke. As soon as the spotters catch another glimpse of us it'll be too late."
   "Stab 'em in the eyes, wot! Make it more of a challenge for 'em," George scoffed. "That's somethin' my ole nuncle Bas would do."
   "Which brings me on to our next problem, the wearets themselves. I've seen these monsters fight. They're as ferocious as they are intimidating. I'm afraid to say when it's time for close quarters we're on our own."
   "Don't worry Sandy, we'll be alright," said Wataru.
   "What about Gash? I still don't trust him," Flugg uttered. "Me neither," Tigerlilly seconded. "With any luck, Gash and his command unit will probably be killed in the first wave," Sandokhan replied morbidly.
Two days passed, and the autumn had properly arrived. The entrances to the caves were racked by fierce winds and rain and the task of finding anything dry was bleak. The barricades were coming along fine. Sandokhan patted his paws up against them as he inspected Allyoshas' work. "These will serve us well, Allyosha," the fox declared.
   "Well I can't take all the praise. Tigerlilly has been a great help to us," he added.
   "Any sign of Gash and his Stormvermin?"
   "None yet. But my friends in Yoshino say that most of the garrison there has left and are heading south for Mochizuki,"
   "When was this?"
   "Yesterday." Sandokhan thought hard, "Hmm. Then they should be here by tomorrow at the earliest." Then the fox saw the wood shavings scattered on the rocky floor of the cave. "Allyosha, will this wood burn?"
   "Quite easily, yes. Why?"
   "Gather as much as you can. And whatever you do, keep them dry!"
With the time for battle drawing near, most of the warriors spent their moments in the shrine meditating whilst the warriors from the west mentally prepared themselves. Mattimeo sat sharpening the edge of his blade as he conversed with Cheek whilst George was having his armour fitted by the smith, "I'm telling you two, this plan of Sandys' I don't like it."
   "Ha! What's not to like? We're only going into battle with a band of ten score rats who'll turn on us as soon as their master is dead," said Cheek in a sarcastic tone. "I don't like it either but in hindsight it's the only plan Sandy could come up with." Just then, George had returned from the armourers wearing his specially made Samurai armour. The hare was checking his reflection in a paw-mirror, "I feel fantastic in this, wot!"
   "It's suits yer, flop-ears," Cheek remarked.
On the dawning of the third day, the Jimanese army assembled outside the main entrance. Five score of Liberated slaves, lesser Samurai, otters, GUOSIM shrews and archers. Some squads of troops carried the barricade emplacements while others doused the bundles of wood shavings with oil. Sandokhan turned to the massed army with Mattimeo and Wataru by his side and spoke in a loud clear voice, "We fight for liberation, not conquest. We fight in the name of Kenji and may the spirit of Masakado watch over and protect you in battle. FOR THE RED DAWN!" His war cry was heartily echoed by all, "FOR THE RED DAWN!" as the last vibrations died away, Georges' ears perked up. "Just a minute," he said.
   "What is it George?"
   "Marching, not far off by my reckoning," he replied. Sandokhan and his council went to investigate the noise, as they all peered into the plateau below the land rise they saw Gash at the head of a huge army of Stormvermin. All of them marching in perfect rank and file. "Gotta say those fellas 'ave got discipline down to a tee, wot!" The council of warriors descended to the plateau and went out to meet Gash. The fox stood surveying the assembly of fearsome looking rats massed behind Gash. "The last time I saw something like this was long ago. What was it you said to Lon? Surrender and the Honoured Claw in his infinite patience and mercy will allow you to live?"
   "Curse the Honoured Claw and his name," Gash spat. "I also have some more good news. You remember how we use desert creatures as our mounts?"
   Sandokhan nodded in reply. "You won't have to worry about them. We fed them all this..." Gash said, as he produced a phial of thick black liquid from his satchel. "The nectar of the black orchid," he explained.
   "Black orchid?" Mattimeo asked.
   "A flower that grows around the southern areas of Eshin. As soon as they ingest this nectar, every scorpion will fall into a coma and be dead hours later."
   "That's monstrous," Tigerlilly exclaimed in a shocked voice.
   "But it does give us more of a fighting chance," Fujokai motioned. Gash nodded in agreement before adding, "Now, the battle plan.."
   "Several of my scouts are out near Lons' palace setting up our little distractions. You have to tell us about wearet tactics. We're going to need all the help we can get." After a short while Gash turned to his horde, "I am your general and I am dead. You are Stormvermin and you are also dead. So there is no need to fear death, because not one of you has ever lived at all." A massive cheer rose up from the massed Stormvermin, George muttered to Elmtail, "Don't know about you tree-whalopper, but I'm alive and I bally well intend to jolly stay that way!" After all of the psychological preperations and the reciting of ancient oaths and warcries, the army of Jima marched for Ikkit Claw's palace.
The marching pace was proving too much for Flugg. The Samurai armour was light but the shrew didn't have the stamina to keep up the pace. The Log-a-log fell to his knees with exhaustion and by the time he regained his composure the army was a good league in front of him. Suddenly, he felt somebeast sweep him up and perched the shrew on his back. Flugg noticed he was on the back of a samurai in blue armour. "Don't worry Flugg, we'll be with the war host soon." Flugg recognised the Samurai's' voice, "My lady!"

"Dead!" Claw exclaimed as one of his wearet guard brought him the news. "All of them?"
   "Oi'm afraid so, moi lord,"
   "How?" The messenger then brought a cloth smeared in a thick black liquid. Claw took the cloth and sniffed. He recognised the scent of the black fluid, "The nectar of the black orchid?" The wearet nodded in agreement. Claw grinded his teeth together, his trump card had been completely wiped out. He dismissed his guard, telling him to report with Roygel for the expected assault. Mangetail was dumbstruck, "How did the Samurai manage to get their paws on black orchid nectar?"
   "It must've been someone in my former closed circle." Claws' voice trailed off as he pondered to himself. A Stormvermin? It can't be. The Stormvermin wouldn't even dare to challenge me in a theatre of war. Unless......
   "Master," Mangetail motioned, "Are you all right?" Claw did not reply, instead he looked on eagerly yet anxiously through his spyglass at the plains outside the walls. Down below was the tremendous booming sounds from the courtyard. The wearets were understanding how to reload and care for their weapons but they still couldn't master the aim.  However Claw took little to no interest whatsoever to the fumbling attempts of his berzerkers learning how to fire a rifle. Just out on the horizon he saw something move. It was a small group of creatures placing barriers made of wood out on the countryside. He then saw military banners fluttering on the breeze below the horizon and getting closer. Claw left the throne room with haste, as the door slid open his wearet guards stood to attention. "Tell your chieftain I seek an audience with him immediately."
   Roygel was quick to attend to his masters' call, fully garbed in Lons' old armour Roygel looked through the spyglass his master had given him. "So? Oi sees creatures putting bits uv wood on der meadow," he said.
   "Wake up! Those bits of wood are barricades to shelter that army from your rifle beasts," Claw snapped.
   "It seems that way, Lord," said Mangetail.
   "Mangetail, my friend. If there was a time I most needed your guidance, it's now." Mangetail hesitated, "Well?" Claw snapped growing impatient. "Er... Indeed. Erm, I realise now that the mouse in armour was only a, er, hallucination. This apparition has been removed from my eye within, er, and victory shall be ours."
   Claws' features twisted into a smile, "Excellent," he remarked. "Roygel, prepare your troops for the attack."
   Roygel had assembled his tribe out in the courtyard. The wearet chieftain issued his orders "Dis is what I want you's all ter do," he began. "A whole lot of you's will be up on the ramparts overlooking dat meadow out dere. Shoot anything dat moves!" Many wearets grunted and nodded in understanding. "Der rest," he continued. "We be inside der walls demselves. If sum rat gets too big fer his boots and tries ter get through da gates, smash 'is skull ter pulp! Dat goes fer Sam-rye too. Show no mercy! Scrape 'em loik muck from yer boots!"
   Claw refused to leave his throne rooms, he remained with Mangetail as they both looked through their spyglasses watching the army of Jima assemble on the meadow. Claws' face became a picture of true horror and disbelief when he saw the two beasts commanding the opposing army, "Impossible!" Mangetail looked at his master completely nonplussed. "What is it My Lord?"
   "Him! The rat standing next to that fox."
   "If I may be so bold Master, Jimanese society doesn't really exclude anybeast..."
   "That rat is wearing Stromvermin armour and flying a general's standard! It's Gash!" Mangetail strained his eyes hard at the sight on the meadow, "How can this be? I thought Roygel had gotten rid of him." Claw then clenched his teeth with anger, "Blithering idiots! I'm surrounded by incompetent bunglers! Must I do everything myself? Mangetail, tell Roygel that this army must be stopped at all costs. Tell him to slaughter them all!"
   "But Master, without scorpion cavalry..." Claw went furious with rage and struck Mangetail a blow with his heavy brazen claw to his seers' chest. "When I give you a command, I do not expect defiance!"
Out on the meadow, Gash and Sandokhan arranged the army into groups who took cover behind the barricades. Gash then peered into his spyglass to observe the activity on the palace walls. He saw wearets mounting the ramparts with rifles in paws. Fujokai and his archers were ready and waiting for their first volley while Elmtail and his archers had taken position up in the tree line where they were shrouded from view by the foliage. Gash then turned to his troops, "Stand by for attack!" Sandokhan and the others needed no second bidding to take cover. The fox had taken cover next to Gash who narrated their enemy's' movements. Then the massive booming sounds rang through the air. "First volley," said Gash as the the barricade were bombarded by numerous hard thumps. Splintered wood flew off in all directions. Then came a second boom. "Second volley," said Gash. There was a long pause, "They're reloading," the general said. Sandokhan saw his chance, "Elmtail, now!" Elmtail and his archers set light to their arrows and took aim at the bundles of wood shavings. The bundles made more smoke than fire, nevertheless it was what Sandokhan wanted. The plumes became thick in little time, but Farlo grew impatient. "Now, let's attack!" Farlo shouted as he took his group and charged towards the palace walls. "Farlo, wait!" Sandokhan shouted. Before anybeast could react, the sound of horn fanfares echoed over the scene. The fox snatched Gashs' spyglass and looked through it, the palace gates opened and a horde of rampaging wearet berzerkers charged towards Farlo and his group. Flugg watched on with great anxiety and clutched the Blue Samurai's' paw. "Chin up, Flugg." The Blue Samurai said as she handed some jagged metal throwing stars. "What are these?"
   "Shurikens. Think of them as throwing daggers."
   "Fujokai, release your volley," Sandokhan shouted. The rays of the bright sun became blocked as arrows filled the sky like a dark cloud. Several wearets fell while others were horribly wounded. Farlo had escaped death as one barbed shaft tore through his attackers' eye socket. The dormouse looked around and saw most of his group had been killed in the charge. The ground started shaking violently as Gashs' Stormvermin battalions tore past the confused dormouse The wearets suddenly lost heart and withdrew back to the palace walls, while several others ignored their compatriots and continued to fight on. Farlo felt somebeast grab hold of his paw and drag him to his footpaws. Sandokhan was not pleased, "What's wrong with you Farlo? You want to die that badly?"
   "I saw an opportunity and I seized it!"
   "Days of careful planning could've been put at risk. " Sandokhan argued. All around them, Stormvermin troops started to encircle the stray wearets. One armed with a lance made a swipe. Stormvermin rats were catapulted and bowled into the air by the ferocious strength of the attack. However, one wearet still on the walls aimed his rifle in the wrong direction and sent a lead pellet through the attacking wearets' head. Gash let out a dry laugh, "Wearets are fine berzerkers, but really bad marks-beasts!"
   With all the wearets outside the palace walls subdued, mainly to their comrades' very bad aim, the fight could now be brought to the forces inside the palace walls. Gash ordered over three score of Stormvermin to rush inside the gates, but Roygels' tribe rushed them as soon as they set foot inside the walls. Sandokhan and his council assembled their soldiers to cover the rear of the attacking rats. The wearets met the attackers with a terrible ferocity, but the Stormvermin fought back with greater strength and resolve. The battle was now joined. Sandokhan, Mattimeo and Wataru fought back to back, slashing, parrying and stabbing. The poor condition of the wearets' armour was no match for the katanas' bite. Flugg refused to leave the Blue Samurai's' side, while George, Tigerlilly and Cheek with their lesser Samurai continued with their onslaught. George was knocked down by a berserker, who stood over him with his club ready to strike. Suddenly numerous barbed shafts thudded into the back of the wearets' neck and started falling forwards. The nimble hare managed to dodge out of the way as the husk fell to the ground. Roygel looked on from the front door. One of the GOUSIM shrews charged at him, but the chieftain simply clubbed him into the air. He looked around and noticed his tribe being pushed back by the invaders. "Withdraw!" He barked loudly over the clamour. Some of his tribe were so headstrong that they refused to fall back and carried on fighting, whilst the others withdrew inside the palace itself.
   Mangetail stood in the middle of the entrance hall which led to the gardens, "Roygel, what is this?" But the wearet ignored him, "Barricade dat door! Wotever's out dere, stays out dere!"
   "I asked you a question!" Shouted Mangetail, stamping his foot. Roygel grabbed Mangetail in a choke hold and lifted him off the floor so the two beasts were at eye level. "For da last time, Yous don't tell moi tribe worra do," he bellowed before hurling the seer into a wall. Doubled over in pain, Mangetail scurried off to find a hiding place. He wished he'd never told Ikkit Claw anything now.

SandyB

The army of Jima now gathered at the front door, Gash went wild with rage and started stabbing at it with his sword. Wataru and George had to restrain him and drag him off. "Let me go! ROYGEL! I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME! I WANT VENGEANCE, YOU HEAR ME? VENGEANCE!!"
   "How do we get in Sandy?" Tigerlilly asked. As if in answer to her question, the entire Stormvermin detachment rushed at the door banging and hacking with their weapons.  In little time, the obstruction to their progress disintegrated. The Stormvermin were inside first where they met a wall of wearet soldiers, some of them were Roygels' personal guard. Gash however saw the chieftain scurry into the gardens. Ignoring all around, the general of the Stormvermin gave chase. The Stormvermin fury was seeming to be a match for the wearets' sheer brutality as a majority of them were pushed back into the gardens. "Look Elmtrail," said Tigerlilly as she saw two wearets run into a passageway. Without thinking she grabbed Elmtails' paw and ran with the squirrel in tow. "Tigerlilly wait," Elmtail pleaded.
Out in the gardens, Roygel stopped to gain his breathe. As he stood hunched over, he heard footsteps behind him and a familiar voice. "ROYGEL!" Gash bellowed as he made a lunge at the wearet chieftain But the massive looming creature was quick, he slammed his club into Gashs' midriff bowling the rat general over on his back. Roygel then brought the club down hard on Gash's head, once. Twice. Thrice. Four times. The wearet let out a cruel chuckle as Gash lay on the floor, his head had no recognisable features left.
Up in the pagoda, Claw paced around the throne room anxiously. He started to feel something, a sensation he had never felt in a long time, fear. He heard activity outside his door and readied his sword, "Who is it?"
   "'Tis Mangetail, Lord."
   "Ah, my seer! How goes the battle?" Claw said as he sat back down. "Erm... not well. The rebels have stormed the palace hall and are now rampaging around in the gardens," Mangetail explained. Ikkit Claw then started drumming the mandibles of the brazen claw on the arm of his throne. "Why didn't you foresee this? You said victory would be assured. Was that a lie?" Mangetail stood speechless. "I don't know which is more annoying; you clammed up or in full flow. Begone from my sight!"
Elmtail was still being pulled along by Tigerlilly. The squirrel had noticed that the passage they travelled down had started sloping downwards and in little time the passage entered a large circular stone room. "Where are we?" Elmtail enquired. "I'm not sure. I've never been in the Shoguns' palace before," Tigerlilly answered. Suddenly, there was a loud rumbling sound. As the pair looked around, they saw the two wearets they were chasing blocking the way back up to the hall. Then they heard a hissing sound and what sounded like scurrying. "What's that noise?" Tigerlilliy peered into the shadows and a giant black scorpion scurried out of the blackness, tail poised ready to kill. Elmtail had no hesitation in getting Tigerlilly behind him and notching a shaft to his bow. When he released the arrow and let it fly, the massive  creature grabbed it in one pincer and snapped it in two. The two wearets stood on an outcrop watching the 'sport'. "Get out uv that'n. Rerere!"
   The scorpion was now on them. Elmtail notched another shaft, but the massive creature brushed the squirrel aside with one stroke of its' huge pincer. Tigerlilly rushed to his side, "Are you all right?"
   "I hate to die this far from Redwall..." he said. Tigerlilly then twisted her features into a scowl. "No," she said. " I'm not going to let our lives end like this," she cast her katanas aside and confronted the scorpion, her paws spread wide. "You're being kept here against your will. Turn your rage on your captors, they're behind you." Elmtails' jaw dropped with absolute disbelief, "How can you be so mind-bogglingly flippant?! That won't work."  Tigerlilly ignored him, "We are not the ones who have shamed you with your captivity." The scorpion yielded its' advance before turning around and started climbing up the walls after the two wearets. "Wot're yer doin', yer stupid thing! Kill 'em," one wearet shouted. But the scorpion advanced on them and delivered two blows of it's deadly tail, one for each of its' captors.
   Elmtail's face was a picture of true disbelief, "Now I've seen everything." He exclaimed. "How do we get out of here?"
   "Oh I think our new friend knows a way out," Tigerlilly replied.
Meanwhile up above, the Jima army had trampled through the gardens and headed for the pagoda itself. A detail of Stormvermin stayed to watch over the body of their dead leader while Sandokhan, Mattimeo, Wataru and Farlo made their way into the keep of the palace. Wataru checked the door, it wasn't barricaded. The otter peered inside and then beckoned the others to follow. Inside was surprisingly bright and splendours, it seems as if Claw hadn't spoiled the original grandeur of the Shoguns' domicile. Mattimeo saw somebeast moving out of the corner of his sight. He turned and saw Mangetail, Claws' seer running  up the staircase to one of the upper floors of the pagoda tower. "Hoi!" He called out as he took chase. "Matty, wait!" Wataru called after him. But the otters' words went unnoticed as Mattimeo gave full chase. Mangetail didn't have the stamina for prolonged chases but the seer was deviously clever. He took refuge in a room and waited for the mouse warrior. When Mattimeo had found him, Mangetail cowered piteously, "No! Don't kill me!"
   "On your feet!" Mangetail did as we was told but Mattimeo didn't notice the seer sprinkle red coloured dust into his paw. "Alright rat, let's go," Mattimeo said in an authoritative tone. Mangetail waited until Mattimeo was behind him, then made his move. The rat turned round like a shot and blew the red dust into the mouse warriors' eyes. Mattimeo fell to his knees in pain with the sword of Martin slipping from his grasp. He clamped his paws over his burning eyes while Claws' seer grabbed the sword of Martin and held it aloft. "Let's just hope for your sake the here-after is a better world than this!" Mangetail sneered. Suddenly he felt something sharp pierce his midsection. Mangetail dropped Martins' sword and gaped at the katana stained with his blood. Then the blade twisted painfully and then sliced sideways. Mangetail's eyes clouded over before he dropped to the floor. "Are you all right Redwaller?" Mattimeo let out a small sigh of relief. "Sandy! Am I glad to hear your voice!"
   The fox then set to work cleaning Mattimeos' eyes with some water. The dust had turned to sludge with Mattimeos' tears, that had welded his eyelids shut. When all the dust had been washed away, Mattimeo had managed to open his bloodshot eyes. "Can you see?"
   "My vision's a bit blurred but I think I can fight on." Flugg then appeared in the doorway with the Blue Samurai. "Most of the wearets have retreated to the upper levels," said Flugg.
   "And Roygel?"
   "He's up there as well," the Blue Samurai said. Then the sound of roaring echoed inside the hallways and passages. "Go Lord Sandokhan. I shall deal with these beasts," the Blue Samurai said drawing her katana and bounding down the staircase to the gardens below. Flugg stayed with Mattimeo while Sandokhan, Wataru and Farlo continued in their pursuit of Ikkit Claw. There was only a small band of wearets left on the upper levels however they still impeded the warriors' progress further. When they reached the top level, they walked down a passageway leading to the throne room. "This is it! He's in here somewhere," said Farlo as he rushed towards the throne room door. As he extended his paw to slide the door open, somebeast did it for him. Suddenly Farlo was batted into the air and landed hard on his back. There, stood in the doorway was the chieftain of the wearets. The fox and the otter drew their katanas and charged forwards. Wataru was the first to make a blow, but Lons' armour was the perfect defence. Roygel just raised his gauntlet and the katana rang off the armour, before the wearet brought his club into the otters chest bowling him over. Sandokhan then jumped into the melee and made a downwards slash. Roygel was quick, he grabbed Sandokhans' arm in mid swipe and pinned him up against the wall twisting the fox's' paw. Sandokhan glared coldly into the wearets' eyes as the pain built up in his joint.
   Snap!
    Sandokhan yelped in pain as the Starfire fell to the floor. Seeing his chance, Ikkit Claw scurried out of hiding and picked the sword up before retreating back to the throne room "Not so tough without yer bla- Yarr!"
   The wearet looked behind him to see Wataru stab him through the armpit. Roygel dropped Sandokhan before picking up the Samurai otter by the throat. Roygel  threw Wataru savagely against the wall. Wataru met the wall with a sickening bump before collapsing to the ground. The wearet chieftain turned back to Sandokhan, "Now Oi's make you beg ter die!"
   "I don't think so," a voice called out. Roygel looked toward the staircase landing and there was Flugg with Mattimeo. "Then Oi'll deal with you and kill da fox... slowly." Flugg started eyeing the wearets' armour and was balancing a shuriken star the Blue Samurai had given him. "What little one? Yous regret not runnin' away?"
   "Actually, I was thinking about your armour. It seems to me that your armour can't cover all of your body, can it?" As the massive hulking creature loomed over them Flugg threw the shuriken and it embedded itself in Roygels' left eye. Roygel screamed in pain as he staggered backwards blinded. He then tripped over Watarus' rudder like tail and stumbled backwards through a window and fell to the paved courtyard below.
   Mattimeo then ran to Watarus' side, "He's in very bad shape." He called to Sandokhan, who was nursing his broken paw. "The... Starfire," the otter murmured "Claw stole it," Sandokhan replied. "Don't worry, I'll finish it."
   "You don't... have to convince me you're tough. Hehe," said Wataru letting out a dry laugh. "Don't grieve for me Sandy, I've died honourably in battle," Wataru uttered before lying back against the wall. "Your name shall be immortalised in song," Sandokhan declared before turning to the throne room door. "Wait," said Mattimeo. "I don't think your wakizashi alone will be a match for a warlord armed with your country's' most precious relic."
   "What do you suggest?" With that, Mattimeo unfastened the scabbard of the Martin sword from his belt and handed it to the fox. "Take Martins' blade." Sandokhan drew it from the scabbard and examined the blade, it was the sword from his dream. "I wish you luck and courage," said Mattimeo as he bowed to the fox.
   "Oh Flugg," Sandokhan called, his paw reaching for the door. The shrew turned around to face him. "Nice throw!"
With sword in his good paw Sandokhan slid the doors open. There, sat on Lons' throne was the Honoured Claw of the Eshin Realm. The fox closed the door and turned to the rat. "You have defiled my homeland and you have offended my Shogun!" Ikkit Claw rose to his footpaws, wielding the Starfire. "I offered your Shogun a chance to surrender, he refused. So you must be the one who killed Jagee."
   "Correct," Sandokhan replied.
   "So now you're going to kill me? I don't think so. You're nothing but a mere peasant without your sword."
   "I don't need the Starfire to finish you off," Sandokhan scowled, holding the sword of Martin aloft. Claw however just sneereed at the sword.
   "That's a very strange sword," he said. "Tell me, who crafted that blade?"
   "A badger named Boar the fighter."
   "It looks too small to be wielded by the likes of you. Was it forged for someone else?"
   "It was forged for a great warrior, his name was Martin," as soon as the fox answered Claws' eyes went wide. It was the name of the presense that Mangetail had felt since Jagee was killed. "You lie!"
   "Samurai do not lie. It is against our code of honour," Sandokhan replied. Claw tightened his grip on the Starfire and gritted his teeth before he made an advance at Sandokhan. Martins' sword was too heavy to be used with just one paw, all that Sandokhan could do was parry. One of Claws' sword strokes was so strong that the fox was forced against a pillar supporting the ceiling. Then the fox saw a brazen blur. He ducked as Claw made a blow with the massive brass claw. However, Ikkit Claw missed and his prosthetic was embedded in the pillar. Claw struggled hard to wedge it free but it was no use. The fox saw his chance. He cut upwards and severed the false claw from the rat. Ikkit Claw screamed in pain and staggered backwards nursing the stump. "Meet your death with some dignity. You're beaten in combat and you know it," said Sandokhan. "Never!" Claw went berserk with rage and charged at the fox. Sandokhan tried to dodge one of Claws' advances but the rat was quick. He sliced the top off the fox's' left ear, then their blades grinded together. Sandokhan was forced to the floor, the pain in his broken paw becoming to great to ignore. Sandokhan backed up against a pillar as Claw made ready for the finishing blow. He slashed downwards.
   Clang!
   The Starfire katana rang off the brazen claw already wedged in the wooden pillar. The rat dropped the Starfire as the vibrations shook his bones. Sandokhan then skewered the Honoured Claw through the middle with the sword of Martin up to the hilt. As the fox drew the sword out, Ikkit Claw dropped to his knees. "It can't be..." he gasped, feeling his strength ebb away.
   "You're finished," the fox sneered. "No! I...am.... Ikkit Claw! The voice of the Eshin Celesetial Realm!" Sandokhan retrieved the Starfire and held it aloft, ready to make a slashing movement. "You are the voice of tyrrany and you must be silenced!"
As Sandokhan walked out into the courtyard of the palace, Starfire in his belt and Martin's sword in his good paw. The fox strained his eyes against the torrent of wind and rain that now pelted the army of liberators. The Blue Samurai was the first to approach, "The Claw?" Sandokhan dropped Martin's sword, which the Blue Samurai hastily picked up. The fox reached behind him and pulled something from his belt. The Samurai held the severed head of Ikkit Claw aloft for all to see. There was a thunderous rapture of applause from all, while the Stormvermin screamed and roared in victory. The Blue Samurai hugged Sandokhan tight. "Well done Sandy!"
   "Erm, thank you. By the way, your voice sounds familiar..."
   The Blue Samurai then unfastened the faceplate and removed her helmet. "RITSUKO!!!"
   "Yes Sandy. I did tell you my father was Samurai." Sandokhan's jaw dropped to the ground, but Ritsuko was more interested in his wounds. She saw Sandokhans' paw twisted at an unnatural angle and the blood pouring from the stump where his ear had been. "You're hurt,"
   "I'll be all right." The pair heard movement behind them. A group of Stormvermin carried the body of General Gash from the front door. The head of the corpse covered with a linen cloth. All Stormvermin stood to attention and followed the burial party out of the palace gates. "We shall return our General's remains to Manchuria for burial," said one of Gashs' captains. "There is nothing for us here any more."
   "Your General died in battle. Every warrior should be so lucky," said Sandokhan.

SandyB

Ritsuko refused to leave Sandokhans' side, over the course of the night she helped heal Sandokhans' injuries whilst Mattimeo and the others prepared the casualties for burial. Sandokhan was the most bereaved by the death of his friend, but there was still one more task to be done, the expulsion of the Stormvermin from Jima. Sandokhan, Mattimeo, Farlo and Fujokai were assembled on the west coast of Mochizuki domain as the last regiments boarded their row boats to get back to the only vessel to survive, the Gabools' Folley. "We have not slain you nor treated you unfairly," Fujokai called. "Let this be a lesson that every land is not fair game for any conqueror and these things are far more important than anything the Honoured Claw promised you. You are free to go, but never again return here in anger."
   "We have more pressing matters to attend to, mainly returning to Manchuria and continuing our struggle in our dead Generals' name," said Bloodclaw, the captain of the ship. They all watched as the boats were brought aboard the ship and the Gabools' Folley sailed into the distance.
That evening, in the throne room of Lons' palace, Sandokhan and his friends held a wake for Wataru and all the other brave warriors who did not live to see victory. Ritsuko had prepared some hot rice wine and dealt it amongst the Sandokhan and his council. The fox Samurai held out his cup and said, "To absent friends." They all raised their cups to the memory of the brave Samurai otter. A silence reigned over the scene. Tigerlilly was the first beast to break it, "You know, when I first met Wataru, he was in the dojos' gym trying to block. He managed to get the hang of the idea but he couldn't get the movements right. We weren't that close but I consider him a good friend of mine."
At Tin-Jins' monastery the following day, nearly everybeast in the domain had turned out to celebrate the great victory. The monks sounded the monastery bells with enthusiasm, there was music and dancing and a sense of great mirth hummed on the breeze. Sandokhan looked around him and saw Mattimeo and Elmtail chatting happily with Fujokai and Allyosha, Tigerlilly was teaching Cheek how to dance, George was surrounded by the lesser Samurai warriors telling them war stories and Tsuzukus' otters rubbed shoulders with the GUOSIM shrews. The scene made the fox swell up with emotional sentiment. When Ritsuko sat next to him, he whispered in her ear, "Will you marry me?"
   "Sandy?"
   "Will you? I've had... strong feelings for you for quite some time and... there's no beast I would rather be with than you," he explained. "I think your sling's on too tight," she replied. Sandokhan suddenly felt crestfallen, but Ritsuko rubbed noses with him and whispered, "I can't believe you fell for that! Of course I'll marry you, you big softie."
   A grand feast was prepared and as the sixth course was finished, Mattimeo spoke with Sandokhan. "When will the sea guard be able to prepare a ship for us?"
   "Some otters are at present making preparations for your journey back to Mossflower. You can leave the day after tomorrow," Sandokhan replied. "I shall miss this place, but it will feel so good to be home," said Mattimeo. "When you leave, we - I mean Fujokai and the others have prepared some gifts for you as tokens of our gratitude."
   "Thank you, Sandy. One thing though, who is going to be Shogun now?"
   "I had thought that Fujokai may seem a promising candidate,"
   "I'm surprised you didn't want the position,"
   "I am Guardian of Mochizuki and that is good enough for me. Besides if I were Shogun I wouldn't know where to start," said Sandokhan. "But if you were," said Farlo who sat next to Mattimeo. "You would be able to raise a huge war host and take the fight to the Eshin realm and take revenge for what they've done."
   "Farlo, it's over. Jima is free now," said Mattimeo. "But Lanka isn't," the dormouse replied. "We Samurai live by a code of self defence. Being powerful doesn't mean you go looking for a war," said Sandokhan. "But the Eshin-"
   "Is a doomed nation," the fox interrupted abruptly. "The Eshin Realm is a nation to be pitied. We have already set them on a course of self destruction with this Stormvermin uprising. I will not be Shogun, if the Triad council is restored then I will take my place among them. I did not overthrow one tyrant just to simply become one myself, Farlo!" Farlo did not say a word.
On the morning of the second day after the celebrations, the wind changed direction and it was time for Mattimeo and the other warriors from the west to leave Jima and journey home. Mattimeo, Elmtail, Cheek, George, Flug and his shrews were all dressed in Samurai armour, one of gifts given to them. "These suits of armour are fantastic, matey. You really mean it? We can keep them?"
   "Hehe, of course you can Cheek. But there are more presents for all of you. Firstly George," said Sandokhan as he presented Lons' massive dai-katana to the gallous hare. "This was once my Shoguns' blade. Present it to your Lordship, a good will gesture from the people of Jima."
   "Thanks awfully, old bean," said George before he saluted the fox smartly.
   Fujokai turned to Elmtail, "You're very good for an archer,"
   "Thank you, Lord Fujokai," Elmtail replied as he bowed to the new Shogun of Jima. With that the white wolf then presented the squirrel with his prize war-bow. "I think you'll be even better if you used this,"
   "Your yumi!" Elmtail gaped in amazement, before hugging the white wolf tightly. "Thank you so much!"
   Mattimeo was bidding his goodbyes to Tigerlilly, "I'll never forget you Mattimeo Kun," she said as they embraced. "I envy your wife," she whispered. Mattimeo in return kissed her gently on her brow, "Farewell Tigerlilly. Tell the pandas I send my regards." The GUOSIM shrews had brought some boxes brimming with rockets and other pyrotechnics. "Remember to keep those dry on the boat and not to light a single one until that Redwall place has prepared a great welcome home feast," said Allyosha. "Before we go I want to say goodbye to Farlo and Glendal, where are they?" Asked Elmtail. "They disappeared shortly after the victory feast two nights ago," said Allyosha. Sandokhan turned to Mattimeo, "A gift for your abbey, warrior. When I was at Redwall, the orchard was my favourite place to be during the summer and I want you have these." The fox handed the mouse a bag of seeds. "Plant these in your orchard, they should become strong cherry blossoms in a couple of seasons or so." The pair then embraced, "I'm glad I met you Sandy. You taught me so much not only about myself but a great deal about what it means to be a true warrior."
   "One other thing," said Sandokhan as he handed Mattimeo a series of large scrolls and two leatherbound books. "I enjoyed the story of Luke. The other book is a translation text for the scrolls. Presents for Churchmouse San."
   "I have a feeling he'll enjoy every second of translating."
   "Goodbye Mattimeo. Tell the dibbuns they'll have new stories in Cavern Hole over the next long winter, give my regards to Francis Vole and tell Ivy I send her my love," said Sandokhan. They shook paws firmly one last time before Mattimeo boarded his ship. Before they retracted the plank Mattimeo had one last thing to say, "Hoi Sandy. I understand that story about Kenji and the dragon. The primary discipline to being a warrior; your resolve must be absolute in becoming a shield for the ones you love."
   "Now you understand," said Sandokhan. The plank had fully retracted and the ship cast off into the wind, carrying its' precious cargo westward; homeward bound. As the ship rounded the headland, Mattimeo could see Sandokhan and the others massed on the cliffs looking out to sea where they gave the western warriors a final and beautiful parting gift. They all sang in chorus to the departing ship. Mattimeo knew the song, Sandokhan had sang it before back at Redwall during the Abbots' jubilee feast.

"The journey begins, Starts from within,
Things that I need to know,
The song of the birds are echoing words,
Singing for the need to soar,

Thoughts never tiring in flight, Day turning into night,
Questions we ask ourselves,
Which path do we take, For our lives' sake?
The journey will begin again,

From above we can see from the heavens,
Down below we can see a storm raging on,
And we'll march on forever,
Fighting for something to believe,

As the Earth turns, Things that we learn,
Carry us back home,
The more that we try, The more that we fly,
The answers that we seek will be there..."

As the last notes echoed off onto the winds there was not one dry eye aboard the vessel. Mattimeo kept his sight on the coastline until it became too hard to make out anymore. The same could be said for Sandokhan and Ritsuko. The Samurai fox wiped away a tear from his mates' eye and held her paw. "I wish them luck and courage," she said. "We all do," Sandokhan replied. "I wish them all nothing but great joy and happiness in their lives," said the white wolf. "I never thought of you as the sentimental type, Fujokai." The white wolf just returned a smile as Sandokhan and Ritsuko discussed their wedding. "I hope you will like my fathers' old house. It's not much but it is a roof over our heads at least. In the future we can always look for a much bigger place."
   "Bigger place?"
   "The cubs. I presume we're going to have some,"
   "Hang on, how many cubs are you planning for?"
   "I was thinking...er... nine. But if you want to draw the line at seven that's fine by me!"
The group then split and divided as everybeast returned to their newly created lives or to start picking up the pieces of shattered ones. Fujokai was the last to leave. The white wolf stared out over the never-ending waters and focused on the horizon. He then spoke, "Rest Lon, My Master. You have your revenge."

On the open seas the days turned into weeks and the weeks turned into months. With the massive tides of the world pulling against the small vessel, their progress back to Mossflower was at times painfully sluggish. When the spring was coming to an end, the intrepid band of warriors were greeted with the familiar sight of the south coast of Southsward. Everybeast let out a huge sigh of relief, another few days and they would be greeted with the awesome sight of Salamandastron. But another great obstacle stood in their way, the massive Roaringburn current. To avoid this, they had to sail further west and around the old decaying remains of Gabools' fortress on Terramort Isle. The old fortress now reduced to a ruin, that looked like a hollowed out skull on the coastline. But soon, the rocks and cliffs turned into plains and then into shifting sands and in the distance, the great mountain fortress of the badger lords hoved into view.
   Inside the great mountain itself, Orlando the axe, the lord of the mountain, was tending to his forge. He had just finished making the finishing touches to a new axe he forged for himself when he heard a rapping at the door. "Come!" In walked one of his Long Patrol officers who saluted smartly. "Yes colonel?"
   "Beggin your pardon, sah. But the lookouts have seen a ship on the horizon," the Colonel explained. "Is the ships' intentions hostile?"
   "Unknown at present, sah. But it's not any ship we've seen any searats use."
   "Get your hares to greet the ship when it berths. The travellers on board her have come a long way to get here," said Orlando. The hare saluted smartly once more before exiting the forge. Orlando then wiped the sweat from his brow before hanging up his apron and making his way to the tomb of his predecessor, Lord Brocktree. Inside was the old monk Tin-Jin and his aides. Tin-Jin was tracing his paws over the carvings that covered the walls of the tomb. "They've come back. Just like you said they would," said Orlando.
   "And earlier than I originally predicted," said Tin-Jin. "I thank you for the hospitality you have shown me, Your Lordship. But I'm afraid it is time for me to leave for my home."
   "Yes of course. I will have Colonel Sandgall escort you to the quayside to greet them when they berth," said Orlando. Tin-Jin bowed respectively to the badger, "Thank you, Lordship. You have been most gracious as a host."
   "And I must say I have found your time here most inspiring."
When the ship docked, the travellers were greeted by a detail of Long Patrol hares and Tin-Jin. The gangway plank extended to the quayside and George was the first to disembark. "Ah, Colonel!" He said as he saluted smartly. "Lieutenant, why are you out of uniform?"
   "What? Oh, the armour! Sorry sah, a gift from those jolly Jimanese don't cha know."
   "Your leave of absence ended last winter! We were about report you as Missing, presumed dead," the Colonel scolded. Just then, Tin-Jin stepped forward, "I can vouch for his whereabouts as so can all the others who travelled with him." When Mattimeo disembarked, Tin-jin turned to him. "Mattimeo. I presume that all is well in Jima."
   "Yes Tin-Jin. Ikkit Claw is dead. Sandokhan has completed his task," the warrior mouse replied. "One task. There is still much for him to do and I think Fujokai will make an excellent Shogun."
   "How did you..."
   "Hehehe. I wouldn't be very enlightened if I didn't know, my lad," Tin-Jin chuckled. "Now you must return to Redwall with all haste. Poor Tess has been out of her mind with worry and Martin misses you very, very much."
   "And you?"
   "I shall be returning home," said Tin-Jin. "Oh one more thing, George. I think his Lordship will appreciate the gift. It was once wielded by Lon himself."
Out in Mossflower Woods, Sister Stephanie, Cynthia Bankvole and Ivy were gathering wild herbs for the infirmary with Sam Squirrel keeping watch. Ivy stopped picking and watched the road for signs of activity. "Watching the road won't make them come back any faster," said Sam. Ivy let out a heavy sigh, "I know. But it's been so long since Mattimeo and the others left. I wonder what's become of them."
   "You and me both," said Sam, putting a reassuring paw around the vole. "I miss... Mr. Sandokhan most of all," Ivy continued. "I miss his stories," said Sam.
   "I miss his shadow plays," Cynthia chimed in.
   "I miss his snuggles," said Stephanie. All three beasts fixed Stephanie with confused looks. "What?" Sam asked in dismay, to which Stephanie just blushed. Sam shook his head before allowing himself one last glimpse of the dusty path to the north. He could see somebeast walking up the path. No, there was more of them.
   "Hey, come see!" Sam called. In short time, they could make out multiple creatures all wearing armour marching down the path towards the abbey. "Who are they?" Ivy asked. "We'll know soon enough. You three get back to abbey and rouse the Mossflower patrol just in case." Then Sam saw one of the beasts wave to him. Sam returned a wave, "Do they know us?" They then saw the mouse at the head of the party remove his helmet and all their hearts leapt with utmost joy.
   "It's them! They're back!" All four creatures ran for the abbey gates and banged most enthusiastically. The massive gates then creaked open and they all ran inside to spread the good news of Mattimeos' return.
   The returning party walked past Mossflower Patrol members who lined the dusty path up to the abbey. When Mattimeo emerged through the gates all the abbeydwellers greeted him with tremendous rounds of cheering. The Abbot was the first to address them, "What a wondrous sight before me! Warriors and old friends returning after such a long time away from home. May I be the first of many to greet you all many happy returns to Redwall Abbey!" Mattimeo then unfastened the sword of Martin from his belt and presented it to the Abbot, "Father Abbot, we've returned home." Over the sound of cheering, Mattimeo heard a voice he hadn't heard in so long, "Dad! Dad!"
   Martin then embraced his father tightly with tears of joy rolling down his face.
   "By the fur, you've grown!"
   "Matty, I've missed you so much," said Tess as she rushed to her husbands' side. Mattimeo let go of Martin and hugged Tess who smothered him with kisses.
The Abbot of Redwall declared that a great welcome home feast be prepared and everybeast was invited from all over Mossflower. Not much had happened at Redwall after Mattimeo left for Jima. The stories of how Sandokhan had defeated Scarface and his bandits had reached far and wide and inspired fear in the hearts of all bandits and robbers. Over the days preparing for the feast, Mattimeo and his friends had told the whole story of the Jima struggle. The good friends they made and lost, the escape from Jagees' mansion, the Stormvermin rebellion and how the fox Sandokhan had defeated Ikkit Claw in single combat. Not with the Starfire katana, but with the sword of Martin the warrior.
   Out on the lawns, tables were assembled in a circle around a great fire. The tables were dressed with foods of all descriptions, savoury and sweet. Pies, flans, trifles, tarts, fruits preserved in honey, quiches and pasties. All dripping with cream or gravy. After a few hours of feasting, a lot of belts and girdle cords were loosened to let the food digest properly. Tess wiped her lips with a napkin before rubbing her distended stomach. "Ooh! That was lovely. Matty, you haven't touched your October ale," she said.
   "Well... funny thing really. The last time we were having a feast like this I barely touched anything and little did I know that soon I would be off on another adventure," Mattimeo replied. "Well, try lifting your tankard this time and see what happens." As soon as he lifted his tankard off the table, there were loud whistling sounds followed by loud bangs.
   Bang! Boom! Bang!
   All the abbeydwellers looked up and the sky was ablaze with all colours imaginable. Red, green, blue, cyan, gold, white, magenta and violet. "Aren't they spectacular?"
   "A bit loud though, Father Abbot!"
   "Burr aye, gaffer! Did you'm see that un?"
   "Yurr. It'm loik foir in the skoi,"
   "Oooh! I like the gold ones."
   As Mattimeo gazed up at the multicoloured explosions, he thought he could finally look towards the future with a sense of hope. Because a creature he had hated and mistrusted all his life - a fox - had learned what it truly meant to be a warrior. Maybe he could too.

SandyB

The story of Sandokhan had taken three days to tell. Burrlo had listened to every word with great interest and whenever they had to go to bed or have a meal, Burrlo, Rollo and Jube would retreat back down to the cellars for the rest of the tale. "And if I remember correctly, Mattimeo never went abroad again. Instead he lived his life at Redwall with Martin and Tess until the end of his days. He had finally found the peace he was desperately searching for. As for Sandokhan, we never saw him again," said Rollo, bringing an end to his narration. "But'm wot 'appened to Sandy-koon aftur Mattmayo left?"
   "Well according to Mattimeo he eventually got married..."
   "To'm Ritsuko?"
   "Hoi! Who's tellin' this 'ere story, you or Rollo?" Jube interrupted. Burrlo scratched his velvety head, "This'm sounded loik it'm be a tall tale to Oi, zurr Rollyo."
   "Did you 'ear that, Rollo? This 'ere mole thinks we're makin' it up!"
   "I think you should show him, Jube," said Rollo. Jube then rose from his stool and reached behind one of the massive casks of blackcurrant wine. He produced a long object wrapped in cloth. "Mattimeo gave this to me. It was one of Sandokhan's gifts, but he said Martins' sword was the only weapon he needed to carry," said Jube as he laid it down on the stone floor and unwrapped the cloth. It was a katana sword encased in a green scabbard. The hedgehog then removed it gently from the scabbard. It was a blade forged by a smith of the eastern tradition. The oval hilt on this katana however was silver instead of gold. There was also Jimanese glyphs enscribed on the blade above the blood channel.
   "What'm the wroitin' say, zurr Rollyo?"
   "It says; Mossflower," Rollo replied.
   "Want any more proof, young mole?" Burrlo just shook his head dumbly as the cellar hedgehog bundled the sword up in the cloth and went to replace it behind the barrel. "There you are! What are you lot doing skulking about down here?" All three turned and saw a volemaid standing in the doorway leading out of the cellars. "Ah Sister Ivy! We were just telling my apprentice the story of Sandokhan," Rollo explained. "Ah, Sandokhan. He did so much for me," said Ivy. She then pulled out a golden bell on a necklace of wooden beads. "I still remember the day he left, that was when he gave me this," she said. She jingled it gently, the clarity of the sound echoed around the cellar.
   "There you go, Burrlo. More proof that we ain't be tellin' fibs," said Jube.
"Right then, if I remember correctly we still have some sorting to do young mole," said Rollo as he lead his apprentice back upstairs to his study. After all, there was still several stacks of old tomes and books that had been waiting for the recorders' attention for the past three days.
   As Sister Ivy walked out into the orchard, she inhaled the pleasant afternoon air. She then felt something touch her cheek. She looked up and saw the cherry blossoms dance on the gentle wind, covering the path to the gatehouse cottage in a blanket of subtle pink. They were in full bloom again.

Far to the east of Mossflower in the land of Jima, two fox cubs sparred with their wooden bokkens laughing as they did in front of a grand house. Inside, the sunlight filtered through windows and made shadows that danced on the walls. A fox sat at a low table with a vixen cub in his lap teaching her how to read and write. "And then you just do a line inside that little box and there you are. Easy isn't it?" The young vixen nodded before her father kissed her on her brow. "Now Matsori you help your mother, she's expecting and needs a lot of rest," said the fox as his daughter got up and ran off to the kitchen, nearly running into her mother who was heavily pregnant. "Watch where you're going, you could hurt somebeast," said the vixen as she approached her husband. "Have you finished yet?" She asked as her husband handed her a book which she opened and read the title page, "To the ends of the earth. A Samurai's tale by Sandokhan; son of Christos and Nanya."
   "My contribution to the family history," said Sandokhan as he went to scratch his severed ear. He then grunted in frustration, "It still itches! How can it itch if it's not there? Anyway Ritsuko you should be resting."
   "It's a beautiful day outside. Oooh! And the twins know as well. They're kicking like creepers today."
   "How do you know they're twins?" Sandokhan enquired. "Tin-Jin told me," Ritsuko replied.
   "Why won't that monk ever allow us the thrill of discovery?" Sandokhan mused as his wife giggled lightly at his remark. "I better get those sons of ours inside..." Ritsuko said as she stood up. Sandokhan put a paw on his wife's. "I'll do it. You go see to Matsori," said Sandokhan as he stuck his head out of the front door. "Tsuzuku, Wataru! Inside!" The two cubs were quick to respond to their fathers' call and ran inside the house. Suddenly the peace of the scene was broken by a screech above them. Sandokhan saw a massive eagle land in front of the house with a wooden tube grasped in its' talons. The fox took the tube and read the message it contained.

"Enemy abroad, Triad to assemble immediately
Come armed and tread softly"

SandyB

Epilogue

The humidity of the late summer beat down on the dusty trails of Mossflower Wood. The crickets chirruped lazily as if to serenade the summer flowers now in full bloom. On one path a vixen walked peacefully towards the massive sandstone building of Redwall Abbey that loomed over the tree line in front of her. She came across a pear tree and cut down one of the ripe pears using the Starfire. As she adjusted the sword of Martin across her back, she took a long breath of the warm summer air. She looked to the sky and noticed some grey clouds passing over the sun. Suddenly, an arrow shot into the ground next to her paw. But the vixen took a bite of the pear as several vicious looking bandits emerged from the overgrowth. "Thanks to your interference vixen, we lost 500 pieces of gold. We can't go back to our chief empty-pawed!"
   "Well you won't have to go back completely empty pawed. There's a pear tree back there with some of the ripest fruit I've ever seen," said the vixen. The leader of the band spat contemptuously, "Cut 'er up, boys!" Then the robbers advanced on her. But the vixen drew the Starfire with lightning speed and with a few sword strokes subdued them all. Their leader drew his short sword and charged her, the vixen ducked and cut upwards, severing off the bandits' paw. He fell to the ground in shock, nursing the bleeding stump. "So, it's true? Redwall only paid you ten pieces of gold?"
   "Yes, of course they did," the vixen replied. "The sword we stole was a priceless relic given to the Abbey by Martin the Warrior... and the Abbess is only paying you ten to get it back for them? You're so stupid!"
   "You belong to a small, poor tribe. You can't swindle 500 pieces of gold for a sword, even if it is the legendary Redwall sword. Your chief was asking too much. He's the one who's stupid!" Said the vixen before continuing on her way.
   In little time she reached the front gate of Redwall and knocked heavily. A spyhole slid open and a blind female badger sniffed the air. "Begone fox," she snarled. "It's me Cregga,"
   "Ah, Mizuki! Welcome back," she said before the gates opened. Mizuki had little time for pleasantries as she marched up to the Abbess' room and knocked on the door. "Come in," she called. The vixen walked inside and placed the sword on her desk. "Abbess Songbreeze, I have returned the Sword of Martin to it's proper place." The Abbess spread her paws wide, "Excellent! And as promised, ten pieces of gold." She said as she dropped a small purse on the table. The vixen bowed politely, "Thank you. I was reading one of your annals and I noticed my Grandfathers' name appears many times."
   "Ah yes, Sandokhan. According to the records he came here long ago to seek our warriors' help," said Songbreeze. "Yes, I've heard my Grandfathers' story many times. It was my favourite when I was growing up. I was hoping to stay a little longer before I return home to Jima."
   "Stay as long as you like Mizuki, Granddaughter of Sandokhan."

AbbotAlf0805

I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ.

Romsca

Shadowed One

I really liked it! I did notice several Star Wars and Lord of the Rings references, though.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

SandyB

Yes, I can understand people getting the LotR references. But I fail to see any Star Wars references. Explain...

Shadowed One

There was one early on, I think it was from Grand Moff Tarkin.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

SandyB

I have no idea who that is/was

Shadowed One

Jetthebinturong

Well I thought the Panda's first line was a Star Wars reference as Yoda says nearly the same thing (Away put your weapon, I mean you no harm)

This story was epic, easily the best fan fiction I've ever read
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan