News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Blue Badger

Started by Tiria Wildlough, July 05, 2011, 06:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiria Wildlough

I just made up a little story about this badger--well, you can read about it.
Hope you like it!
There will be new story every so often. Here's the prologue and the first chapter.
Please feel free to give comments, either positive or negative!
Tiria Wildlough  ;D
PS Please don't read this unless you've read Taggerung.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Tiria Wildlough

The Blue Badger

Prologue:

A young badger shuffled through a pathway of wilting flowers. She was festooned with worthless blue bangles and necklaces. Two rats with spears drove her along. She was certainly a sight for sore eyes.
But the strangest thing about this badger was the odd blueish tinge on her forestripe.
A small ferret was watching her as she stumbled along the path towards the vermin castle. 'She's goina hav' lotsa fun wid der stoatqueen, heeheehee.' he said to himself.
Once the blue-tinged badger had reached the castle, the great wooden door swung open. One of the rats prodded the badger with his spear, and she angrily lashed out at him, knocking him down.
'Be still in the presence of her Majesty, Queen Deddra, Stoatqueen of all Upper Mossflower!'
'A curse on yer stupid stoatqueen.' said the badger contemptously.  The second rat, who was bigger, kicked out at her. 'Shut yer trap, stripedog.'
A sepulchral voice echoed round the room. 'Dance!'
The badger cast a defiant look at the litter in a dark corner of the room. 'Not for anything you could give me, stoat!'
'DANCE!' repeated the voice. The badger hung her head, and performed a shuffling little dance that lasted until the sepulchral voice said, 'Eeeenough! I am not to be satisfied with a blue badger kicking up dust for me. Bring in some other, more interesting, entertainment!'
'But your Majesty, we couldn't find—
The bigger rat broke off in terror as the litter shook. 'You IDIOT! Did I not tell you to scour the woods for anybeast who might serve as entertainment for me?'
The smaller rat shrugged. 'I'm sure I dunno, but there's to be an execution tomorrow...'
'Perfect!' the voice from the litter said. 'What's it for?'
'...to be carried out on a vole, who was caught stealing food from the fields when he was working.'
'What will be done to him?'
'Oh, simple style, just beheading with a sharp sword—
'Stupid vermin!' the voice said. 'Can't you be more creative. Now, this is what you'll do...'
Chapter One: The Blueish Badger

'Bluestrype? Bluuueestryyype! What on earth are you doing, dangling your footpaws in the Abbey pond? You'll catch your death! Anyway, come and see the new mousebabe!'
A pretty badger maid looked up demurely from where she had been wetting her footpaws in the pond. 'Was I getting my paws wet, Sister Floburt? Oh, I'm so sorry. Has Cecily had her babe yet?'
'Well, I wouldn't be calling you to come if she hadn't,' the motherly hedgehog said crossly. ''Come and see the little thing. Such a darling she is, through and through.'
Bluestrype rolled her eyes. Then she remembered what Sister Floburt had called the mousebabe. 'She? But Cecily was always saying it'd be a male.'
'Never you mind what she said. Have you been listening at doors again?'
'So if I have.' the badger said defiantly.
'Well, you're not supposed to. Come along and see little Gillyflower.'
'Gillyflower? What kind of name is that?'
'She was not named to please you, Bluestrype.'
Sister Floburt bustled in, but the blueish badger hung back, and heard Abbess Mhera talking with the mousewife Cecily.
'Poor Bluestrype was completely wild when we caught her. She'd been wandering around Mossflower for goodness knows how many seasons, but we managed to tame her. Or did we—oh, hello, Bluestrype, didn't see you coming. How would you like to see Cecily's new babe?'
Bluestrype leaned over the cradle, peering in at the tiny mousebabe. 'Oh...she's so tiny. May I...'
The badger maid reached out a paw to touch the babe, only to have it rapped sharply by Abbess Mhera with a ladle.
'Oweeeh, what was that for, me paw's ringing like...
The badger wilted under the Abbess's stern gaze.
'Bluestrype, your paws are large, and you don't know your own strength...'
The badger emitted growls of anger and ground her teeth. 'Well, I guess I do!' She stomped as hard as she could out of the room and slammed the door with such force that a small crack started at the top edge. Mhera shook her head. 'I wish Bluestrype would learn to control her temper. I remember when she first came here, one of the young ones her age teased her for not knowing many words, and she up and chucked him in the pond.'
'I remember right enough,' Sister Floburt said, chuckling. 'Almost all the words she knew were insulting. Heaven knows why.'
'We'd better leave Cecily to rest,' said Abbess Mhera. 'I need to find Bluestrype.'
'Bluestry—oh!'
Turning around the passageway, Mhera found herself staring into the sought-after badger maid's wild eyes.
'Bluestrype, I'm sorry for what I said—
The big badger went to sit on a bench, muttering, 'Such fuss over a little mousebabe, it's just not fair, why can't otherbeasts get a turn?'
The Abbess wanted to put a paw round Bluestrype, but the blue-tinged badger did not like to be hugged or patted in any way. Instead, the old otter turned around and said, 'Bluestrype, it's time for dinner. Why don't you come?'
The badger nodded slowly. 'I'll be up in a minute.'
Bluestrype waited until she was sure the Abbess had gone, then quietly left the passageway, and leaned against a door, out of which voices were coming, one of which belonged to Abbess Mhera.
'...have tried my hardest to get Bluestrype interested in some sort of occupation here, but she will not hear of it. I fear that I made the wrong choice in keeping those legends from her...'
Bluestrype's mind was racing. What legends? Why were they being kept from her?
But the Abbess went on. 'I can well remember the day of the rainstorm, when I saw a small badger wandering  around outside the outer walls. I really wanted to have a badger at Redwall again, after Cregga...'
Bluestrype had heard enough. She determined to ask the Abbess one day about these legends.
Tasse (Tass-eh) Streambattle was an otter who lived in the depths of Mossflower. She was a very strange type, having no less than six daggers at her belt. She also had all sorts of worthless trinkets in a sack, and, most strange of all, a fox skin for a cloak.
She sold her trinkets to vermin. They were all terribly frightened of her, and the strange otter took full advantage of this. However, pure greed drove the vermin to go to her time after time for more trinkets.
There was a stoat coming through the trees now, with a small ferret in tow. He pointed a rough claw at Tasse. 'Are yew d'one dey call Tasse d'Wanderer?'
The otter gave a slow smile. 'Aye. I'm also the one they call Tasse the Unpredictable.'
Her paw strayed to the closest dagger.
The big stoat shuddered, but composed himself and said, 'I'm looking fer a place dey call Redwall Abbey.'
'Well, matey, you've come to the right beast, by the fur,' Tasse chuckled. 'It's that way, due north.'
'Thankyou kindly.' said the stoat, in a voice that meant quite the opposite.
After they were out of hearing, Tasse doubled up with laughter. 'Redwall's due south, by the fur an' cringe!' she cackled. 'I sent them the wrong way! Heeheehee!'
She sat down on the soft grass and dug in her fox-tail pouch for a piece of fruit. 'Hmmm, I'll just have a bite to—yeeeek!'
Two rats were standing over her, pointing spears at her. 'You've done all the eatin' you're goin' to do!' one of them said.
He was just about to run her through, when the second rat stopped him. 'Hey,' he said. 'Didn't her Majesty tell us to look for anybeast who might serve as entertainment for her? This'n has knives. 'ey, riverdog, can you use 'em?'
Tasse stood up quickly. 'Nobeast calls Tasse Streambattle 'riverdog' and lives to tell the tale!'
She whipped out a dagger, and flung it at the rat. He stood tranfixed for a second, with the weapon sticking between his eyes, then fell to the ground.
The other rat let out a growl of anger. 'You're in for it, riv—ahh—otter. Just you come with me!'
Tasse stood her ground. 'I ain't goina do it,' she said, casting a defiant look at the rat. 'and by the fur and cringe, you ain't goina make me.'
'Grrr, you'll do just as I say.' he said, and kicked out at her. Tasse was unprepared, and fell to the ground. The rat took the opportunity, and heaved her over his shoulder, carrying her off.
I'm not a hipster.

The Lady Shael

Very nice! I really like that you started this off from the end of Taggerung, I love reading about familiar characters.

It's funny, the title reminds me of two things:

1. There is a character called the Blue Badger in the Phoenix Wright game series

2. One of the most well-known Redwall fanfiction works of all time is called The Crimson Badger (probably the closest thing I've seen to a full Redwall book).

Badgers are just awesome, I guess.  :P
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

Captain Tammo

Good story! One thing I don't understand though, was tasse knocked out by the kick? It just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe if another vermin snuck up behind her and hit her with their spearbutt, it'd seem more realistic.

You're a great writer, keep it up!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Tiria Wildlough

Thanks!
Here's some more:
Chapter Two: Seven Seasons After

A pretty young mousemaid knelt in the flowery grass, filling her lungs with the sweet smell of the blossoms.
She was disturbed by a badger, who gave her a curt look and said, 'Gilla, it's time for dinner.'
The mousemaid nodded. 'I'll be there.'
She gathered a bunch of flowers and ran inside. Redwall's Great Hall was filled with good smells. Gilla inhaled deeply, detecting all sorts of food and drinks. She ran over to her mother. 'Mum, Bluestrype hates me. Why?'
Cecily tweaked her daughter's ear. 'It was something that happened when you were just a Dibbun. I'll tell you when you're older.'
After grace had been said, a squeaky voice from the Dibbun's table could be heard saying, 'When's we goin' ta eat, me near starvin', gerron wib it!'
Bluestrype giggled. 'Stoppit, Briggle, don't you have any respect for your elders?'
The creatures tucked in, but Bluestrype sat staring at her plate. She was reliving what had happened when Gilla was only two seasons old.
'Gilla, stop, leave that kitchenknife alone,' called out Cecily. 'You could hurt yourself.'
'Norra leevin' it behin'.' giggled baby Gilla mischevously. She brandished the weapon high in the air, crying, 'Wedwaaalll!'Bluestrype was watching this from her seat at the edge of the pond. She laughed to Felsa. 'Do you think she'll be a mighty warrior one day?'
Gilla glared at the badger. 'You no make funna Gilly!' she said, and flung the knife.
Bluestrype suddenly felt a burning pain in her right paw, and looked down in horror to see the knife sticking in it. She screamed, 'Aaaaaeeeeeeee!'
Gilla chuckled meanly. 'Badgerbeast pay fo' makin' funno Gill—yeek!'
She was hauled off by her mother and Abbess Mhera.
Bluestrype found herself staring at her right paw, where there was a deep scar from where the knife had pierced it right through. Suddenly a paw reached over and stole her piece of pie, and a voice said, 'Still have bally nightmares about that paw, wot wot?'
Bluestrype looked up gratefully. 'No, Boorab, but I sometimes remember what happened.'
'Flippin' bad day, that day, wot?' The hare tucked into his stolen pie with a will. 'At least now Gilla's learned her bally lesson not to mess with you, wot wot!'
Bluestrype smiled. 'Well, it was worth less that this, I'm sure, but anyway...'
She trailed off as se searched for more food to replace her pie.
Crraaack!
A slave whip snapped through the air. 'Bend yer backs, yer worthless slime!' yelled a burly ferret.
Tasse gave the rope she was pulling a sullen jerk. Everything had gone wrong from the moment she had given the stoat and the ferret wrong directions all those seasons ago. She had been knocked out by the rat's kick, and even now, she was beating herself up for not being faster.
Then the whip cracked over her head, and felled an old mouse who was not fast enough to keep up.
Tasse knelt down to try and help the mouse, but only brought the whip down on herself. 'Get movin', streamdog!'
The otter stood her ground. 'I will not, till this mouse can get up.'
The whip cracked over her face. 'You'll do just as I say, riverdog! Now get up, and get hauling!'
Though blood trickled down her face, Tasse looked insolently at the slavedriver. 'I will not!'
The ferret nearly burst with anger. 'You come with me.' He threw a rope noose around her neck and pulled her away.
The slaves toiled until they had hauled a large granite rock into place by the fast-growing wall.
A long litter was placed in one corner of a damp, cold room. An echoing voice emanated out of the litter. 'Where is my slave captain, Wrangtail?'
A rat, bigger than most, walked up and saluted. 'Here, Your Highness. What is your wish?'
'Are my slaves working hard?'
'Yes, but we had a little trouble with one, an otter, who has been shut up in the punishing room.'
'Bring her to me.'
Tasse was hauled into the room. The echoing voice said, 'You have made trouble for my slavedrivers?'
'Yes, and I'd do it again.' the otter said.
'Scum!' the voice said. 'Hang her from the jetty, so the pike can eat her footpaws. Go!'
Bluestrype was bathing her footpaws in the Abbey pond, when Sister Floburt disturbed her. 'Bluestrype, what have you been told about wetting your footpaws in the pond?'
The headstrong badger shrugged. 'I'm not nine seasons old anymore, Sister Floburt. I'm sixteen seasons, and I need to find a place in the world where I fit. I'm not going to hang about here anymore if there is a place in all of Mossflower and beyond where I'm needed.'
Sister Floburt folded her paws. 'Well, you'll have to talk to Mother Abbess about it. I'm busy.'
So Bluestrype did just that. She marched upstairs to Abbess Mhera's room, and knocked on the door.
'Come in,' the old otter called. 'Just don't bang the door behind you.'
Bluestrype walked in. 'Hello, Mother Abbess. I want to know; what are the legends you're hiding from me?'
Chapter Three: Protector of Legends

A large female badger wandered in Mossflower. She was silver all over, giving the impression that she was very old, but this badger was but a maid of sixteen seasons. She carried a heavy battle-axe in her belt, and a sling around her waist, disguised as a belt.
The badger's eyes were trained always on the front of her, never sideways, always forward. This badger was definitely going somewhere.
Suddenly there was a crack, and the silver badger whirled around, to see two ferrets. One kicked the other one, and said to him, 'Aaahh, you nit, you've alerted it.'
The badger kept her voice level. 'What do you want?' she asked, in a voice too cold to be friendly.
The first ferret drew his sword.
'Oh, so it's a fight you want, is it?'
The second ferret pulled a small rusty dagger from his belt. 'We jus' want yer valuables, dat's all. We own this stretch of forest, not you.'
The badger laughed. 'Whoever heard of anybeast owning Mossflower?'
She turned as if to go.
'Now!' yelled the first ferret, and his companion jumped at the silver badger, only to find his end on her axe.
The badger laughed coldly. 'Want to join him, smudgeface? Just say the word!'
The ferret whimpered, and the badger turned at him. 'Was that a yes I heard? Euulaaliaaaa!'
She leapt onto the whining animal with a yell, and beat him with her bare paws. 'You know what I do to little ambushing bullies? I don't finish them off with my axe, too fast.'
No one heard the ferret's cries as he was beaten to death by the huge silver paws.
An old face poked through the small window of the punishing room. Tasse looked up despondently. 'What is it?'
It was the old mouse whom Tasse had helped. He spoke, 'I'll never forget the way you helped me. Here are the keys. I managed to steal them.'
Tasse looked in disbelief at the brass ring. 'But...but...you'll get in trouble!'
'No matter,' the mouse said. 'I'm old anyway. Go quickly, before somebeast notices.'
Tasse fervently thanked the old mouse. After he had gone, she quietly pushed the key into the lock, and twisted it. It creaked loudly, and the ottermaid started. When she was sure nobeast had heard, she opened the door and stepped out.
Right into the face of a patrolling sentry!
Bluestrype looked squarely at Abbess Mhera. 'Mother Abbess...'
A look passed over the old otter's face, as Bluestrype had once seen on the face of a lying Dibbun. Then she pulled herself together, and said, 'What I hide is no business of yours, Bluestrype. Please leave me alone.'
The badgermaid slowly backed out and closed the door. Now she was certain that the Abbess was hiding something.
She went to sit in her favourite spot by the Abbey pond. Gazing into the water, she wondered if she would ever find out what it was...
Suddenly a badger face emerged out of the water. 'What do you want, Bluestrype?'
'Well...I want to know what Mother Abbess is hiding. I think it's something I need to know.'
'Go to the fire mountain, Bluestrype, and you'll find out.'
Bluestrype woke with a start. She usually forgot all her dreams, but this one made such an impression on her  that she decided to ask Boorab about it, who was in her opinion the wisest animal alive.
She went up to him. 'Boorab, do you know of somewhere called a fire mountain?'
The hare looked up, gasping. 'A what—a fire—a—look here now, missy, don't tell me you don't know what they call the jolly old fire mountain?'
Bluestrype folded her paws. 'No, I'm afraid I haven't had that pleasure. Now can you please tell me?'
Boorab was still amazed. 'Well, stap me tail, you a badger an' everythin'!'
The badgermaid stamped her footpaw. 'Boorab, can you please tell me?'
'Well, y'know what the Long Patrol is, don't you, wot?' the hare said hopefully.
'Isn't it an army of hares or something?'
'Correct! But listen, young badger m'gel, Abbess Mhera won't let you jolly well know about it, because if'n y'did, you'd run off to find it, an' then she'd lose her precious badgermaid, wot?
Bluestrype nodded slowly. 'I understand. But you still haven't told me, what's a fire mountain?'
Boorab's ears twitched. 'Well, does the name Salamandastron ring a bell?'
The young badger wrinkled her nose. 'I seem to remember hearing it long, long ago, but I don't know if it's true.'
'You bet your tail it's true, miss, wot!' Boorab said excitedly. 'Now, not a word to anybeast, but I jolly well think you've been chosen.'
'Chosen?' Bluestrype asked. 'For what?'
'Stop that otter! She's getting away!'
More by luck than judgement, Tasse flung the keys into the guard's face, and took off in the opposite direction. She sped past several surprised sentries, and crashed out the door.
There was a large creek ahead. Tasse ran for it, five sentries on her trail. She hesitated a bit at the edge of the water. The ottermaid had not had much swimming practice as a slave.
Just as the first sentry was about to grab her, she dived into the water. The natural swimming skills  of an otter were not lost on Tasse, and she swam quickly out of reach of the soldiers. She kept swimming until she was sure nobeast was on her trail.
The stoatqueen spoke from behind her curtains. 'Wrangtail.'
'Yes, your Majesty.'
'Is it nearly time to deal with that otterslave?'
'We...ell, umm, your Majesty...' Wrangtail the rat gulped nervously.
'Spit it out!'
'Well, your Majesty...um...she escaped—yaaagh!'
The Queen reached out of her litter and grabbed a vase, which she flung at him. 'You IDIOT!' she shrieked. 'You would let a little ottermaid escape you!'
I'm not a hipster.

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Tiria Wildlough

Thanks! ;D
Here's more.

Bluestrype looked quizzically at Boorab. 'What do you mean, chosen?'
The hare sighed. 'Really, miss Bluestrype! Well, looks like I have some explaining to do, wot? I think you have to follow the jolly old instructions.'
'You mean the dream instructions...you mean I have to go to Salamandastron?' Bluestrype was bewildered.
'Of course, the dream. Now, not a flippin' word of this to Mother Abbess, do you hear?' The plump hare looked at her sternly.
'But why not?'
Boorab rolled his eyes. 'Really, I don't believe you, wot! If Abbess Mhera realized that her badgermaid has disappeared, do you think she's going to tuck her paws in her flippin' sleeves an' say, "Oh, well, pity really," and go on with her bally duty? No! She'd get very mad. So not a word, and you'll get away safe, wot!'
Bluestrype nodded as Boorab imparted a plan to her. 'Now, what I want you to do is this...

Chapter Four: The Streambattles

Tasse let the current carry her along. Suddenly she noticed that it was getting a bit fast. She looked ahead, and the waterline seemed to stop.
A waterfall!
The ottermaid tried to swim to the shore, but the current was too fast. She was swept over the edge, and her last thought was, 'I wonder if the old mouse who helped me lived?'
Plash!
Tasse was aware of water running down her face. She spluttered.
'It's coming round.'
The otter spat out water and tried to sit up. A strong paw pushed her back down.
'What...who...where am I...'
'You're—yeeooow!'
'Silfa, don't tell it where we are, you'll just bring trouble down on all of us.'
Tasse blinked, and everything came into focus. She saw two otters. One was slim and pretty, and the other was bigger, and stern-looking. The ottermaid spoke, 'Who are you, and where am I?'
The stern-looking otter frowned. 'Why would you want to know that?'
'Oh, Father, just tell her,' the other otter said impatiently, and turned to Tasse. 'I am Silfa Streambattle, and my father here is Raxam. We do not want knowledge of our whereabouts to be known by just anybeast, so please, don't tell where we are.'
Raxam kicked her. 'Do you think she's going to heed you, Silfa?'
He stood up, and said in an official voice, 'As the leader of the Streambattle clan under the waterfall, I hereby decree that this ottermaid be thrown out!'
Silfa was about to argue, when Tasse spoke up. 'I'm a Streambattle!'
Raxam turned around. 'So, you're a Streambattle. That makes everything different.'
Bluestrype waited until everybeast was asleep. Boorab had packed a small haversack with food for four days, and left a note on behalf of the badgermaid, and this is what it said:
I'm leaving this Abbey. If I see you someday, please do not take this personally. Goodbye forever.
The badgermaid giggled quietly, and slipped out the door. Boorab had wanted to be there to let her out, but he had decided not to after all, as it would increase the chance of their being discovered.
She found the key that the hare had hidden for her, and let herself out. Then she turned around.
And looked straight into the face of Sister Floburt!
'Why, you impudent little—
Bluestrype did not wait to hear the rest of the sentence. She bolted, Floburt's shrieks ringing in her ears.
'Escaaaaaape! Bluestrype's running awaaaaay! Somebeeeaaaast!'
Bluestrype did not stop running until she could not hear anybeast shouting. She curled up between the roots of a large tree, and inspected the contents of the haversack Boorab had packed for her.
Besides food, there was a sling, several smooth rocks, and a small knife. Bluestrype tied it up again, and kept on walking.
I'm not a hipster.

Captain Tammo

I have a question:
As bluestrype is leaving, the sister yells "escape" as if the abbey is a prison. Why?

James Gryphon

Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 28, 2011, 07:04:05 PM
I have a question:
As bluestrype is leaving, the sister yells "escape" as if the abbey is a prison. Why?
Well, the story reads almost as though it is a prison, at least as far as Bluestrype's concerned, what with Mhera wanting to have a token badger, not really caring about how her personally, and how ill-treated she's been this whole time by pompous Abbeydwellers.
« Subject to editing »

Tiria Wildlough

I'm not a hipster.

Captain Tammo

I like it, a different view of the abbey, not all that it's said to be. Makes it much more interesting. You should make bluestrype a gray character. Where she's not sure if she's good or bad

Tsarmina

Excellent so far. I'm really looking forward to more.

~Tsarmi
I am Sherlocked <3
OUAT *SwanQueen* forever

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved', the pig was 'committed'." ~Unknown

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action." ~Ian L Fleming

Tiria Wildlough

Here's more:

Tasse had been promised six knives to throw, and in the meantime, she had been given a long spear and told to guard the cave opening, along with another otter.
She stared out at the rain which had begun, until the other otter said, 'What's your name? I'm Sorexa.'
Tasse relaxed. 'I'm Tasse,' she said. 'I come from Mossflower Woods.'
Sorexa straightened up from her slumped position. 'Do you know about Redwall Abbey?'
Sensing that this otter wanted to be her friend, Tasse started talking. 'I know where it is, but I've never been there. I've heard it's wonderful, though. You don't have to defend yourself or work too hard to earn a living. Have you been there?'
'I wish,' Sorexa said glumly. 'Members of this clan aren't allowed out unless they've a very good reason. I've only been out once,'
She slumped again. 'Here I was born and here I'll die—presumably of boredom.'
Later on, Tasse and Sorexa were relieved of their duties by two other otters, and the two ottermaids went to eat.
'We don't eat together,' explained Sorexa. 'Because of all the fishing parties, guards, and all the rest, we just come in and eat when we get hungry.'
She handed Tasse a plate of dried fish.
After they had eaten, Sorexa got up, a mischevous glint in her eye. 'Come,' she said. 'I'll show you the only fun thing we ever get to do.'
She led her friend to an opening in the cave. It led to a woodland glade, where otters were splashing and playing under a smal cascade.
Tasse's mouth fell open. 'Do you do that every day?'
'I live for it,' Sorexa said. 'Come on!'
She pulled the surprised ottermaid into the water.
Tasse noticed a young otter sitting primly by the water. 'Sorexa, who's that?'
Sorexa looked up. 'That's Chief Raxam's son. He hates water. We'd make him swim, except he's a chief's son.'
Bluestrype had been walking for several hours, when she noticed a scratching noise in her haversack. She halted to see what it was.
Digging around in the very bottom, she found a folded parchment. There were a few paragraphs on it, all in Boorab's handwriting.
She could see that he had copied some of Sister Rosabel's recording. The badgermaid was startled at the words she saw there.
----------
Today Bluestrype, the badger that Mother Abbess Mhera took in, had her first taste of strawberry cordial. She called it 'fruit water'.
Abbess Mhera was delighted, but Bluestrype seemed quite annoyed. She is very touchy when it comes to words she doesn't know. She is nine seasons old, after all, and all the young ones her age have grown out of calling strawberry cordial 'fruit water'.
She was very peculiar when she first arrived, a scruffy badgermaid with almost no decent words at all, but the Abbess was very happy. I think it was partly that she likes to take creatures in, and partly because she always wanted a badger at Redwall again, after Cregga's death.
-----------
Bluestrype was very interested. She remembered very well the 'fruit water' and the teasing words of other young creatures her age. But it was nice to hear it again. She replaced the parchment in the bottom of the haversack.
'Are you sure it was her, and not somebeast else, Sister Floburt?' Abbess Mhera asked anxiously.
The infirmary hedgehog looked stubborn. 'Sure as eggs is eggs, Mother Abbess. She ran off.'
Mhera tucked her paws into her habit sleeves. 'Oh, well, I guess we'd better get on with life. The best place for Bluestrype was probably not here. Redwall isn't a prison, after all.'
Felsa the squirrelmaid looked up. 'Oh, really? I thought it was.'
Sister Floburt tweaked her ear. 'None of your sauce, young miss. Mind your own business.'

I'm not a hipster.

Tiria Wildlough

Still more:

Chapter Five: The Hare

Bluestrype had been traveling for a day when she had the feeling that somebeast was watching her. She slowly unwould her sling from around her middle, and loaded it with a stone. Looking warily about, the badgermaid jumped at the slightest sound.
She kept on walking, then became aware of somebeast standing behind her. Bluestrype whirled around.
There was a vole, grinning and poking out his tongue at her. The badger bristled. 'Hey, you, what gave you the nerve to sit round poking your tongue out at passing travelers?'
The vole did an impudent dance. 'Yeeheehee, nobeast mayka mee, nobeast! Yew go 'way an' leave me 'lone, heeheehee!'
Bluestrype frowned. 'You little—oh, well, I'll leave you ''lone' and keep on.'
She soon wished she had not said anything, for the little vole skipped in front of her, and waved his sticks. 'You norra passin' here, me's guardin'!'
The badgermaid rolled her eyes. 'Listen, vole, you let me pass, or I'll give you what for!'
He wiggled his tail at her. 'Oh, well, yew go on, but don't turn yer back t'night!'
Then he skipped off.
Bluestrype shrugged, and kept on going.
Tasse was beginning to warm to life hidden away in the Streambattles' holt. She had been given her knives, and now she wore them in her belt, just as she had her old ones.
One day she was swimming in the water with Sorexa, when she noticed Raxam's son, Yuho, slumped next to the waterfall.
'That young otter is beginning to get on my nerves a bit,' she remarked to Sorexa. 'Why doesn't he swim?'
'He's afraid of water, and Raxam won't make him go in,' the ottermaid explained. 'He gets on my nerves too.'
She waved to him cheerfully. 'Hey, Yuho, why don't you get into the water?'
Yuho did not look up, but replied sullenly, 'Don't want to.'
Tasse performed a pawstand in the water. 'Oh, come on,' she wheedled. 'It's so much fun.'
Yuho was about to say something rude, when his father Raxam came up from behind him and took a firm hold of his ear.
'Come with me, young sir,' he said sternly. 'As for you, Tasse, I want to see you in the main cave in a while.'
Deddra the stoatqueen, though she would never admit it, was worried. Four slaves had died lately, plus the ottermaid who had escaped. The stoat rang a bell, and her slave captain Wrangtail hurried in.
'Wrangtail, you have heard of the place called Redwall Abbey?'
The rat nodded. 'Of course, Milady, everybeast has heard of Redwall Abbey.'
The stoatqueen smiled dangerously. 'I want to invade it.'
Wrangtail was horrified. 'But Milady, remember all the great warlords who have tried that and failed? Cluny the Scourge, Ferhago the Assassin, Damug Warfang. Do you realize...
He scurried back as Queen Deddra rose from her throne. 'Of course I 'realize', stupid creature,'
'But this time,' she cackled evilly, 'will be different.'
Abbess Mhera was sitting on the walltops with Brother Egburt. The hedgehog had carried up a tray with afternoon tea, and he sat with the Abbess, watching the Dibbuns play a few feet away from them.
'Nice day, isn't it, Mother Abbess?'
'Yes, very nice, Egburt. I love it when it's peaceful, but somehow I know it's not going to stay that way.'
Brother Egburt jumped. 'What makes you think that, Mother Abbess?'
Mhera shrugged. 'Oh, well, I had a dream last night. Martin the Warrior spoke to me, and he said, 'Beware the fresh leaves of spring, Mhera.' I've no idea what that's supposed to mean, but I think that trouble is coming our way.'
That night, Bluestrype made a bed of fern fronds and lay down to sleep. She did not want to risk a fire, after what the little vole had said. The badger knew he wasn't a very big threat, but it didn't pay to take chances.
She slept fitfully, but was woken by a harsh screech.
'Yeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr!'
Starting up, Bluestrype was immediately pushed down by a swordblade. She tried to get her sling, but her paw was stamped on by a tough looking vole.
'Let me go, please. I didn't hurt anybeast.' the badgermaid called out.
'Sharrrap, stripe'ound, afore I makes ye,' warned the vole. 'Yew chased off my young 'un, an' dere ain't no 'scuse fer dat. Yew'll 'aveter die!'
He was about to slit her throat when a piercing war cry rang out.
'Euulaaaliaaaaa!'
The vole was knocked senseless by a hare brandishing a long staff. The hare thene proceded to kick the other vole into a bush, and then stood over Bluestrype.
The badger sat up. 'Who are you?'
Long minutes passed before the hare answered.
'I, marm, am Marsden Mossworth Brackwal of Salamandastron.'
'And I'm Bluestrype, not marm,' the badger said. 'I'm going to Salamandastron.'
'Well, you'd better be going there, because I'm bally well taking you there, wot!'
Bluestrype looked puzzled. 'Why?'
Marsden tapped his nose. 'Strictly confidential 'n' all of that, wot wot! Tell you later.'
I'm not a hipster.

Nightfire

Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.