News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Roses Are In Bloom (oneshot)

Started by KitrallStreamrippler, March 15, 2013, 07:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KitrallStreamrippler

I decided to take a short break from my main fanfic to write a shorter one. Since I'm feeling sentimental, it's about Martin and Rose. Constructive criticism is welcome. (I know I wasn't completely true to descriptions and events from the books, but I hope you still enjoy it.)

Myriads of dust motes swirled gracefully in the shafts of late morning sunlight that slanted through the windows of Brockhall. Martin the Warrior lay still, watching them through half-closed eyes. It had been several days since he had slain Tsarmina, and he was recalling previous battles- one in particular stood out to him.
It was a bloody night at Marshank, where battle was raging.
    Badrang is trying to escape- I have to catch him!
Rose suddenly hurled herself on the stoat, battering away furiously at him with her loaded sling.
    Oh, that's the Rose I know- brave mouse!
Then-
    No, no! I- ROSE!!!
A vivid image of Rose's still body stuck in Martin's mind as tears dripped down his whiskers to dampen his pillow.
    Oh, Rose, it's all my fault. If I hadn't let you come with...
There was a light tap at the door, and a plump, cheerful mouse entered.
"Martin, are you awake?" Undeterred by the lack of a response, he continued jovially.
"Oh, come on, mate. I know you're not asleep- I saw you wipe your eyes and turn over as I came in." This time, there was a muffled reply.
"Go away, Gonff. I need to be alone." Gonff sat down on the edge of Martin's bed, suddenly solemn.
"What's the matter, mate? You can tell me." Martin shook his head.
"No. There are things I can't- things I've- promises I can't break." With his mind still on Rose, he mumbled,
"It would have better if we'd never met. Better for everybeast." Gonff thought that Martin's comment was directed at him.  Feeling hurt, he stood and hummed snatches of a tune dejectedly. Martin recognized it and sang the words in his mind, thinking of his recent adventures.
~*~*~*~*
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

KitrallStreamrippler

Sala-manda-stron, look out here we come,
A thief, a warrior and a mole.
Though the quest may take its toll,
We'll march until we reach our goal,
Sala-mada-stron.

Sala-manda-stron,
Look where we've come from,
Three of Mossflower's best,
Marching out upon our quest:
Sala-manda-stron.

Martin, realizing that he had offended Gonff, was about to apologize when there was another, more solid knock and the kindly face of a mole poked around the door.
"Gudd mornen to ee, Marthen. Oi've coom to bring ee outsoide, if'n you'm bees up to et. 'Tis a gurtly bootiful day, burr aye, an' thurr bees somebeasts a-waitin' to see you." Gonff cut off Martin before he could reply.
"Of course he feels up to it, Din. He can't ignore eager visitors, can he? Go tell them he'll be out soon." Dinny beamed at Martin and trundled off to inform the visitors. Martin glared at Gonff.
"What was that for? I'm too weak to even lift my sword- besides, maybe I don't want to see anybeast." Gonff ignored Martin and, chuckling, hauled his friend out of bed.
"You don't need to lift your sword, mate. You just have to toddle outside, and we'll sit you down with a blanket like an old grandfather mouse." Despite Martin's protessts, Gonff soon got him dressed and out the door. As Dinny had observed, it was indeed a beautiful day- the sun shone merrily in a clear blue sky, and a gentle breeze ruffled the surrounding treetops playfully. Standing nearby was a brightly-painted cart, its many colorful banners fluttering in the breeze. The largest one read "The Rambling Rosehip Players". Martin stared at the creatures grouped in front of the cart- they were all there: Ballaw, Rowanoak, Celandine, Trefoil, Buckler, Gauchee, and Kastern. He took a tentative, shaky step forward, and the Players surrounded him, shaking his paws and patting his back heartily. Martin was happy but bewildered.
~*~*~*~*
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

KitrallStreamrippler

"How did you all find me? And why in the world did you come all the way down here to see me?" Rowanoak interrupted his flow of questions by lifting him clear off the ground in an embrace. Celandine piped up cheerily, batting her eyelashes at Martin.
"Silly! We just followed the stories, and here you are! As to why we came-" Trefoil gave her a gentle shove.
"Oh, hush, Celandine. And save all that flirting for an audience." Rowanoak put Martin down gingerly as Ballaw called toward the cart.
"Come on out, now. It's time!" Then, from behind the cart stepped-
"Rose," Martin breathed. She smiled, eyes welling up with tears. At the sight of her, Martin felt his strength flooding back to him. He ran to her, and the next moment he caught up Rose- his beloved Rose- and spun her in the air. They collapsed on the grass underneath the warm, bright sun, laughing with pure joy.
    Rose, oh, Rose! I'm so happy- I could just-
Martin didn't complete his thought because just then, he gently tilted Rose's face to his and kissed her. Anybeast there could see that the two mice were in love, but Gonff saw some history in their eyes and used what he guessed to honor the pair with a song.
"Two mice: a flow'r and a sword
Found their love too strong to ingore,
For 'twas forged in the fires of strife.
They wanted together to make a life,
But somebeast disapproved.
They didn't listen and instead proved
That through fair or stormy weather
They would always stand together.
But through no fault of their own,
They were torn apart- each walked alone
Until they conquered all their foes:
The Warrior and the Rose."
As the last notes of the solemn melody faded, Columbine took Gonff's paw and pointed to an old and withered rosebush nearby. With joy and wonder in her voice, she said softly,
"Look, Gonff- the roses are in bloom."

Sorry it took me 3 posts to do this- my computer was being weird about how much I could type into one post. :P

Martin the warrior

Apples is ripe when they are ready  
When pears is ripe they'll fall
What must happen will happen or       
it won't happen at all

To love, you must first love yourself

KitrallStreamrippler

Thank you. :)  I'm not sure it sounds very much like something Gonff would compose though. *shrug*

WarriorOfMossflower

That was really great! So sweet...makes me feel a little better about a sad Rose and Martin fic I read earlier ("The Fates Are Cruel", if you must know).
In process of rekindling my love for Redwall.

KitrallStreamrippler

Ah, yes. That one is very sad- excellently written, though.

WarriorOfMossflower

Martin the warrior

Apples is ripe when they are ready  
When pears is ripe they'll fall
What must happen will happen or       
it won't happen at all

To love, you must first love yourself

Ungatt Trunn

Life is too short to rush through it.

Free Thought

Quote from: WarriorOfMossflower on March 16, 2013, 12:27:50 AM
That was really great! So sweet...makes me feel a little better about a sad Rose and Martin fic I read earlier ("The Fates Are Cruel", if you must know).

Heyyyyyyyyyy!  :o Be nice! hahaha

This vingette is quite sweet story wise, but structurally a bit confusing.  It probably would have been an easier read if the character/emotion/action were on the "same line" as it were.  Just a little bit of editting and it would be a more fluid read.   :)

winifred

FINALLY
A HAPPY ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *CRIES*

The first thing I thought was, wait, that's the end? No explanation? No, go to live @ redwall etc.?  ;D But I LOVE IT!!!!!! Good job!!!
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Beyond the Western Deep
Mouseguard
Ranger's Apprentice
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Book Thief
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
:D
And many many more...

WarriorOfMossflower

Quote from: Free Thought on March 18, 2013, 07:47:22 PM

This vingette is quite sweet story wise, but structurally a bit confusing.  It probably would have been an easier read if the character/emotion/action were on the "same line" as it were.  Just a little bit of editting and it would be a more fluid read.   :)

(I meant no offense, Free Thought. I loved The Fates Are Cruel, don't get me wrong, but it was just so sad at the end how Rose never remembered Martin...I think if you were to combine it with some sort of happy ending like this, it would be absolutely perfect...but then that would kind of defeat your purpose. Anyhow, I really did like your story, I just don't like sad endings, despite the fact that I use them myself quite frequently.  :P  :) )

KitrallStreamrippler

Thank you for the suggestion. I started a new "paragraph" with each spoken line because I've seen that a lot in books- I thought that's what you're supposed to do.  :-\ Also, I put Martin's thoughts separately because I wanted them to stand out more and make more of an impression. Thanks again, though! :)

Free Thought

Quote from: WarriorOfMossflower on March 20, 2013, 02:19:28 AM

(I meant no offense, Free Thought. I loved The Fates Are Cruel, don't get me wrong, but it was just so sad at the end how Rose never remembered Martin...I think if you were to combine it with some sort of happy ending like this, it would be absolutely perfect...but then that would kind of defeat your purpose. Anyhow, I really did like your story, I just don't like sad endings, despite the fact that I use them myself quite frequently.  :P  :) )

I know- I was just joking with you!  :D

Quote from: KitrallStreamrippler on March 20, 2013, 02:39:04 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I started a new "paragraph" with each spoken line because I've seen that a lot in books- I thought that's what you're supposed to do.  :-\ Also, I put Martin's thoughts separately because I wanted them to stand out more and make more of an impression. Thanks again, though! :)

Hmm, perhaps I just read it too quickly.  I will reread it again.