Redwall German Map!

Started by Leatho Shellhound, April 16, 2013, 11:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leatho Shellhound

I was looking at Redwall book covers, and I found this exclusive picture of the german Redwall map. It was made by the same artist that did the three hard back covers, Thienemann.

Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Buzz_Bumble

The maps in the books keep changing, so it's difficult to know exactly where places are in relation to each other.

321tumbler

Is there a way to see it better?

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: 321tumbler on April 17, 2013, 01:35:34 PM
Is there a way to see it better?

No, I looked all over, this is the only picture of it, sadly.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Ungatt Trunn

I have a English edition of this map. It's slightly larger, and it has different colors, but the same in every other way.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Tam and Martin

T=I noticed something about the maps. Redwall Abbey is always to the East of Salamadastron but in most maps, it is to the East and slightly North and in others it is East and slightly South?

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Rusvul

"Way down south in the west, there's where I love best" fromOutcast would suggest that the abbey would be north of Salamandastron.

Osu

The earlier books switched it around a bit. I liked it better that way, it made each book seem especially unique. The size and location of the mountain range between the abbey and Salamandastron changes frequently as well, as does the time it takes to travel from one place to the other although that last point is very debateable.

I like to think Salamandastron is South of the Abbey, but from what I've seen, most fans seem to favor the jolly ol' mountain being North.

The later books all appear to be consistent in that the Abbey is due West of the mountain with very little variation to the North or South.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Romsca

I also prefer Salamandastron to be to the south

Redwallfan7

So why are the maps so inconsistent? Anyone know? I've always liked looking at the maps but I've never paid attention to how their layouts differed from book to book.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Osu

I think the variations in geography are meant to enhance each story and set it apart from the others. It keeps things interesting, and makes each new book (the earlier books, anyway) something of a new adventure to longtime readers without being a completely different world. If fans are looking for a concrete map of Mossflower with very few variations, I think just about every book from Triss onwards is pretty consistent.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Lutra

Actually I would see the differences in direction as the fact that none of the animals are totally perfect.  I don't believe anyone has a compass so about all they have is the rise/fall of the sun to guide them.  It would make sense they would mistake a place slightly north/south just having a rough direction of the sun to go by.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Buzz_Bumble

Sounds like a possibly plausible idea (although the sun makes a very accurate compass) and I'd have to double-check, BUT I seem to recall some of the maps having the Abbey facing the other way, some have the path on the left, some on the right, etc.

I think it's simply just a case of different artists not actually reading the books (some of the illustrations within the book are also don't match the descriptions) and not looking at previous versions.  :(

rachel25

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on April 16, 2013, 11:50:42 PM
I was looking at Redwall book covers, and I found this exclusive picture of the german Redwall map. It was made by the same artist that did the three hard back covers, Thienemann.

that is way better than the map in the redwall map and riddler of which I own 8)

Rusvul

Most of the landmarks on that map are pretty much the same as the Redwall Map & Riddler, actually. I really like my map, it's pretty accurate on most things. And it has nearly every location in every book.