News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Neither Seek Nor Shun The Fight

Started by KitrallStreamrippler, May 06, 2013, 03:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KitrallStreamrippler

At the mouth of the River Moss lay the wreck of a ship- the Bloodsail! The once-feared slaveship was now little more than a pile of driftwood. Her captain, Rizuel Deathclaw, sat on the deck and thought. He had lost many crewbeasts and most of the slaves in the storm that had wrecked his ship. No matter- slaves were easily replaced, especially in the peaceful woodlands of Mossflower. The fox captain had been in the area on several slaving trips, in fact, and had heard many tales. Most were about a wonderful abbey deep in the heart of Mossflower, full of simple woodlanders. Had these tales not been accompanied by the names of countless vermin leaders, not all of them fools, who had tried and failed to conquer the abbey, Rizuel himself would have tried it long ago. As it was, he decided to leave it be until he had the full measure of its inhabitants. When his crew was in better shape, he would go there and try to gain entrance. If the abbey-dwellers were as simple as he was told, it would be easy. However, that would come later- there was no shame to caution, after all. For now, though, he turned his thoughts to more immediate issues. He collared a passing ferret. "Griffer- get together a foraging party, and tell Mudnose and Twinj that I want to see them." Griffer slauted and hurried off to do his captain's bidding.

~*~*~*~*~*

South down the coast, the mountain fortress of Salamandastron stood like an eternal sentinel, always keeping a watchful vigil over Mossflower's Western Shores. Inside it, a massive badger stood at the window of his forge-room with a spyglass, glaring out at the wreck of the Bloodsail. A knock sounded on the heavy oaken door, and a battered-looking hare poked her head in. "You sent for me, m'lord?" The badger turned. "Yes. Come in, Hazel." He gestured toward the wide windowledge. "Sit down, please." Hazel obeyed, shifting to find a comfortable spot- it wasn't easy, as she was missing her tail. Her right ear was gone, too, and scars crossed her face and paws. Once she was seated, Hazel ventured, "What did you want me for, Lord Redsand?" The badger smiled faintly. "Stop being so formal or I'll call you by your full title. I remember your reluctance to accept rank quite clearly, Captain Witherton. You can call me Galrod- we are friends, aren't we?" Hazel nodded, and Galrod passed her his spyglass. "Good. Well, I called you because I want you to take a look at the River Moss. What do you think?" Puzzled, Hazel put the glass to her eye and scanned the river. She caught sight of the Bloodsail and paused, holding the glass steady. "Hm. I assume you're referrin' to the flippin' shipwreck up there, sah. Well, it looks like that bally fox chap that we beat off a few days ago, before the storm. The slaver, wotshisname, and his filthy flamin' ship, the Bloodsail. I say, a flamin' ship, not a bad idea sah." Galrod's voice was a menacing growl when he replied. "His name is Rizuel Deathclaw." Hazel nodded. "Right, that's the blighter. Haha, their ship's in a jolly old mess, wot! Hm, but what are they going to do now? They can't stay there, and it would be impossible to repair that old tub." Galrod sighed. "I think they will soon realize that their most likely option is to follow the river inland." Hazel's eyes widened, and she almost dropped the spyglass. "Oh, corks! If the vermin go far enough, they're bound to find Redwall. That bloomin' path of theirs runs straight through the river- they'll be caught completely unprepared!"

~*~*~*~*~*
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

KitrallStreamrippler

Today was a day of celebration. To start, the first flight of the season was performed by the Sparra chick Blackwing. In honor of our Sparra friends, we have decided to name this season the Spring of Early Flight, and held our Nameday Feast today. Ah, what a feast. And the games! Why, there was a scavenger hunt, a game of 'Capture the Acorn', a rock-skipping contest, a wall-race of course, and even a tree-climbing contest. Our new Infirmary Keeper, Clove, won the wall-race by a wide margin- you should have seen that haremaid run! She was quite modest about her victory, and refused any prize, saying that the Dibbuns should get it instead. Speaking of Dibbuns, everybeast was quite surprised by the winner of the tree-climbing contest- it was young Lafel! He was coaxed into competing by those young rips, Pipistrelle and Crysanthemum, the ottertwins who won the rock-skipping contest. Apparently, they had convinced baby Lafel that there was a big bag of candied chestnuts at the top of the tree. Lafel was a blur as he shot up the trunk. He wasn't very well pleased wen he didn't find the promised nuts, I can tell you. Kindly old Friar Hollyspike quickly remedied the situation however, by fetching some from the kitchens. Pip and Mum (as Pipistrelle and Chrysanthemum are known by all) insisted that they be given some too, because "we're the ones that- er, helped 'im win, ain't we?" After this rather bold pronouncement, Hollyspike nodded and replied thoughtfully that that was so, and he did have something for them. The twins quit giggling and nudging each other when he held out a dishrag and scrub-brush; in fact, they ran away and hid until bedtime. Ah, truly it was an exciting day, and tiring, too. I am quite ready for bed, as soon as I wash this ink off my paws.
A knock on the gatehouse door interrupted the old mouse's thoughts, and he looked up from his parchment distractedly. "Hm? Oh, come in," he called, and the door opened to reveal an excited-looking pair of creatures- Skipper Corian and a squirrel of about 15 seasons named Russet. They bustled inside, and Skipper gave a small bow. "Excuse us fer bargin' in on ye so late, Father Abbot," he started, but the old mouse waved a paw dismissively. "Please, Skipper, I'm still just the Abbey Recorder at heart. And don't worry about the time- as you can see, I haven't gone to bed yet. Now, how can I help you?" The burly otter chuckled. "Bless yore 'eart, Ordlin. What we came about was this- Russet here found it in the kitchens when 'e was cleanin' up." Skipper held out an old, yellowed scroll that was sealed with beeswax and addressed 'To the Abbot or Abbess of Redwall'. Abbot Ordlin took it, and unrolled it carefully on the table. It was covered in an untidy scrawl. Peering at it through his rock-crystal spectacles, the old mouse heaved a sigh and smiled ruefully. "My eyes are too old to decipher such scribbles. Russet, would you please read it out? You are still in your young seasons, and have not yet felt the effects of age." Russet smiled, bowing. "I'd be delighted, Father. Here is what it says:
If a treasure of battle and peace you seek,
Remember it's part of something the strong use for the weak.
The treasure- a bury from the words of a Warrior dear,
The hiding place- one close to paw, so never fear.
To name the object of your search, the third line holds one clue,
While the rest are mixed up in the lines I now recite to you:
Begin with nots, knot the ones that you tie,
Add mop to that and you're nearly ready to try.
Finish it off with breakfast, lunch, or supper's other name,
Then change one letter so it sounds just the same.
Now that you know exactly what you're looking for
(A sonnet minus n that was there before Boar),
The place to start is the Infirmary,
Speak to one there that serves us all faithfully.
Tell them your findings and then ask them this:
'Where is the old remedy for a wound from Baliss?'"
Skipper gave a low whistle. "Well that's a right puzzle an' no mistake." Ordlin, yawning, agreed. "Quite right, old friend. But perhaps it would be more easily solved with refreshed minds. Let us sleep tonight, then make an attempt on it in the morning. Goodnight, friends." Skipper and Russet left, each thinking their own thoughts about the mysterious riddle, and each eagerly looking forward to the next day.

~*~*~*~*~*
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

Rusvul

Cool! Bally confounding riddle! Good story so far, when does Rhys enter?

KitrallStreamrippler

Yeah, the riddle is actually one of at least a few, so I hope that they will get easier to write as I go. Rhys comes in pretty soon- she should be in my next post here.

KitrallStreamrippler

Sorry for the double-post, but here's some more of the story:

Earlier that same evening, two creatures stood before Rizuel Deathclaw in his repaired cabin and quailed under the fox's icy gaze. His voice was casual as he asked, "How many slaves are still alive?" Mudnose the weasel gulped and gazed imploringly at his companion, who shook his head slightly. "Er, t-two, cap'n," Mudnose stuttered, trembling visibly as he tried not to think of what his captain might do in his displeasure. To the weasel's great surprise, Rizuel laid a friendly paw on his shoulder, winking at him. "Two, eh? Well, having two slaves is better than having none, isn't it? I'd call it almost lucky, in fact." Twinj the rat piped up curiously. "Er, er, lucky, cap'n? Why's dat?" The fox chuckled. "Why, couples are two creatures, aren't they? And when a couple is together, more creatures are bound to follow as a result." Still confused but not daring to push his luck, Twinj nodded. "Aye, cap'n. Yore clever, alright!" Concealing his disdain, Rizuel smiled dangerously. "So I am, which is why I am sending you two to catch more slaves for me. You are my only trackers, but you've never failed me. I trust my confidence in you is not a mistake- go now, and return by tomorrow evening." Both beasts saluted and backed out of the capain's cabin hastily, stopping only to taunt the slaves before setting out. "Haharr, don't worry, me beauties, you'll 'ave comp'ny soon!" "Heeheehee, aye, an' den we might not need yer anymore. We"ll set yer free- t'meet da fishes!" Laughing callously, the crewbeasts left to go about their mission. After they had left, the slaves, who were chained to the Bloosail's ruined mast, exchanged a look. One, a sturdy hedgehog, spat on the deck. "Maybe they won't catch anythin', mate. Bad luck to 'em both, I say," he muttered. His companion, a youngish vixen with coal-black fur, shook her head sadly. "They've always brought somebeast back with them, Chuff. You know that as well as I do."He smiled weakly. "Aye, Rhys, but we c'n allus hope." They both fell silent as Rizuel strode out onto the deck. The cruel fox winked at his slaves, flicking a whip at them idly. "I know what you're thinking, oarscum. You're hoping that Twinj and Mudnose will fail me- forget those thoughts. Idiots they might be, but they have never failed me." Blood boiling, Rhys glared at Rizuel. "There's a first time for everything, murderer," she spat. Without looking, almost casually, Rizuel struck her face viciously with the whip's leather bound handle, commenting coolly, "I suppose there is- which means that someday, I will hear you begging for mercy from me. I hope that day is soon."
~*~*~*~*~*

Blazemane

I'm intrigued by your riddle. So far, the only thing I can think of with the "bury" from the words of a Warrior dear is the red pommel stone on Martin's Sword. This would also be supported by "sonnet" minus an n being "sonet," which can be rearranged to "stone." And the stone in Martin's hilt was there before Boar ever got to making a new blade for it. But I haven't got any clue about any of the rest of the poem. At any rate, I love the rhyme scheme inside of it.

I know we've only had brief exposure to him in the story thus far, but I'm already enjoying Lord Redsand's character. Badgers make everything better. In other notes, Rizuel is coming off as fittingly cruel, and I'm already hoping for the freedom of the two slaves on board.

I only spotted one typo, I think. On your second post, when you describe the appearance of the scroll the riddle is written on, you say, "It was coveted in an untidy scrawl." I think you mean "covered."

If I can offer a critical observation (this is, of course, totally up to you as the writer to accept or ignore, and I recognize that it's a bit nitpicky), you've fleshed out three separate characters already with self-denying humility. Lord Redsand asks Hazel not to call him by his formal title, Clove the haremaid declines her award for the winning the wall-race by asking that it be given to the dibbuns, and Abbot Ordlin waves away Skipper's reference to his title, affirms that he's really a recorder at heart, and makes certain that Skipper and Russet understand they haven't disturbed him from any resting whatsoever.

I like that you're adding these touches to these characters, certainly. It's just that, for me, the repetition of this specific trait comes out of the text... almost in the same way that closely repeated words do. Since I've only been introduced to 11 protagonists at that point in the story, it seems somewhat unlikely to me that, for 3 of those 11, one of the very first things I would learn from observing them is that they are all particularly humble.

Again, that's nitpicky. This is good work, and I'm interested to see what's going to happen next.   

KitrallStreamrippler

Thank you for your comments, Blazemane! I really do like it when people (especially other writers) give constructive criticism. Actually, I had also noticed what you pointed out about humble characters, but they do all have specific reasons.

Ordlin feels that his new(ish) title separates him from his old friends, especially Skipper, as they used to have quite the adventures together. (Also, I needed a way to show that he was still at his Recording duties.) Clove, who you will properly meet later, is shy, especially because she is quite different from the rest of the abbeybeasts. She is the only one who consistently shows "self-denying humility", as you put it. Lord Redsand is good friends with Hazel, and also feels that if she doesn't want him calling her by her formal title, then there's no reason she should call him by his (if that makes sense).

As to the riddle- congratulations! You are quite close to the full answer (of that one, anyway). The rest will be revealed shortly in the story, though. Sorry, you'll just have to wait. ;) Thank you again for your comments- they really are helpful. :)

~*~*~*~*~*

The new day dawned bright and clear. The sun shone merrily, and a playful breeze ruffled the treetops in Mossflower Woods. Russet stood on a parapet on the east wall, facing the coming day with a thrill of excitement. He closed his eyes, heaving a contented sigh as the breeze tugged at his bushy tail. He heard somebeast approaching, but did not open his eyes or turn around. "Good mornin', Russet. How did ye sleep?" Russet smiled. "Good morning, Skip. To tell the truth, I was too excited to sleep at first. When I finally did drop off, though, I slept like a Dibbun- I feel quite refreshed. Have you seen the abbot yet?" Skipper chuckled. "After his late night yesterday, I doubt well see 'im 'till noon." A voice behind him caused Skipper to turn. "See who?" Abbot Ordlin stood there, eyes twinkling mischievously. "Good morning, you two." Skipper shuffled his footpaws hesitantly. "Uh, good mornin', Father. Russet was just askin' about- er- Gurben. 'E was up late las' night puttin' away drinks, y'see." The abbot smiled, winking at Russet, who was now standing beside Skipper. "Ah yes, our faithful Cellarhog. Of course. So, are you two ready to start on that riddle?" Russet grinned. "As soon as we've had breakfast, Father." Skipper nodded and patted his stomach. "Aye. A full stomach is always more useful than an empty one," he commented as the three creatures descended the wallsteps. Cavern Hole was buzzing with its usual chaotic morning bustle. Skipper, Ordlin, and Russet each filled a bowl with oatmeal and picked up a scone or two. "Let's eat in the gatehouse. It's bound to be more peaceful there," suggested Abbot Ordlin. Skipper and Russet eagerly agreed.

Blazemane

I think you captured a certain sort of... joy with the way you set up the scene in this part--describing the sun and the breeze and the way all three of these characters show just how excited they are by their actions. Russet literally awaiting the new day, Skipper finding him, and Abbot Ordlin showing no obvious signs of fatigue, but sneaking up on both of them...

I'm going to contradict myself now, but Skipper also seems very down-to-earth himself, and I don't mind! I think it's really interesting to see a Skipper that way.

Now, this only hit me after I'd written my comments on your previous chapters, so it obviously it isn't all that jarring, but I think technically, different speakers are supposed to have different paragraphs for their dialogue. Do you prefer the look of the format you're using now?

rachel25

This is great please write more  :) actually I read and LOVE all you stories but this one is the best so far  ;D

KitrallStreamrippler

@Blazemane: I never quite understood how the dialogue worked in books- I always thought it was some weird, complex system that I would never be able to figure out. Thank you for clarifying that for me. Jeez, I can be such an airhead sometimes. Now that I understand, I can fix it. :) As to whether I like the format I'm using now- not really. I think it makes it look like there's a lot more text than there actually is. Again, thank you for comments, Blazemane!

@Rachel25: Thanks. I like to write it out before typing it here, so I am working on my actual written copy for another day or so, but I should have more up soon. :)

Blazemane

That doesn't make you an airhead at all. Actually, I think there's a bit more to dialogue than my single sentence about it explained.

The rule for writing dialogue is often said to be something like, "every time a new character says a line of dialogue, create a new paragraph for it." But obviously there's more to it than that. Once a new paragraph is begun, an author is definitely allowed to keep writing prose after the dialogue is finished. And then, more dialogue from that one specific character can follow after that prose. And more prose can follow after that dialogue, and so on and so forth all while everything is kept in single paragraph.

Also, if there's a substantial block of dialogue from one character, that dialogue can be broken down into multiple paragraphs, even though a second character isn't giving their own dialogue.

And then there's the whole thing about when the new paragraph is actually made for a new character speaking. The rule I wrote would seem to suggest that, if a new paragraph is made for dialogue, that dialogue must come at the beginning (because you're switching paragraphs when you're switching speakers). But I'm not terribly sure about that, because Brian Jacques went against that idea constantly and put his dialogue at the ends of paragraphs. There were never any paragraphs with more than one character speaking, so he certainly kept different speakers separate from one another, but the timing of that separation often came long before the next line of dialogue was actually spoken.

But that is a long-winded explanation with lots of words repeated over and over, so... examples:

Return of the King, Chapter 7:

...All that day he was silent. It was the sixth of October.

'Are you in pain, Frodo?' said Gandalf quietly as he rode by Frodo's side.

'Well, yes I am,' said Frodo. 'It is my shoulder. The wound aches, and the memory of darkness is heavy on me. It was a year ago today.'

'Alas! There are some wounds that cannot be wholly cured,' said Gandalf.

'I fear it may be so with mine,' said Frodo. 'There is no real going back...'

In this specific instance, when a new paragraph is demanded by a new speaker, the dialogue of that new speaker comes immediately (though even Tolkien will at times right tons of prose, and then get to a new character's dialogue half-way through "their" paragraph). In any event, there are no paragraphs written with dialogue from both Frodo and Gandalf here.

Taggerung, Chapter 4:

Otters are fiercely proud of their agility and strength. Two hefty young ones sprang forward, a male and a female, and spoke together as one. "I am!"

Boorab clapped them on their backs. "Splendid. Two towerin' figures of otter muscles, wot! I'll wager you could life that instrument with me jolly well sittin' atop of it, right?"

It was the otters' turn to swell their chests and flex their muscles. They chorused together in agreement. "Right!"

Skipper knew what was coming, and he chuckled as Boorab answered, "Good, then I won't sit on the instrument. You two carry it an' I'll walk. I'm not lazy, y'know."

So here, too, no single paragraph has dialogue from more than once character. But Brian Jacques saves his dialogue for the end--my guess is that he wants to show the reader exactly what the speakers are doing, how they're expressing themselves and so on before the reader hears what they have to say. So... yeah. "Every time a new character says a line of dialogue, create a new paragraph for it," probably isn't the wording I should be going for. Maybe it's best to say "never have dialogue from more than one character written in the same paragraph."

And you're welcome for the comments.

KitrallStreamrippler

The three creatures slipped outside and hurried across the lawns to the gatehouse. Once inside, Ordlin took out the riddle and placed it in the middle of the table. "So, where should we begin?"
    Skipper chewed a bite of scone thoughtfully before replying. "Let's read it again an' see if any lines make sense by themselves," he suggested.
    Russet nodded and swallowed a mouthful of oatmeal, then picked up the riddle.
"If a treasure of battle and peace you seek,
Remember it's part of something the strong use for the weak.
The treasure- a bury from the words of a Warrior dear,
The hiding place- one close to paw, so never fear.
To name the object of your search, the third line holds one clue,
While the rest are mixed up in the lines I now recite to you:
Begin with nots, knot the ones that you tie,
Add mop to that and you're nearly ready to try.
Finish it off with breakfast, lunch, or supper's other name,
Then change one letter so it sounds just the same.
Now that you know exactly what you're looking for
(A sonnet minus n that was there before Boar),
The place to start is the Infirmary,
Speak to one there that serves us all faithfully.
Tell them your findings and then ask them this:
'Where is the old remedy for a wound from Baliss?'"
    Ordlin sighed. "The only line in that confounded thing that makes any sense at all is the one about speaking to somebeast in the Infirmary- it must mean the Infirmary Keeper."
    Russet was quiet, trying to remember something- the last few lines had stirred a vague memory... Suddenly, he slammed a paw down on the table, exclaiming, "Of course!"
    Ordlin and Skipper exchanged bemused looks, and Skipper asked, "What d'ye mean, 'o' course'?"
    Russet grinned mischievously and winked. "I'll explain later, Skip. Come on, it's to the Infirmary for us!"

~*~*~*~*~*

In the forge room at Salamandastron, Lord Galrod Redsand was speaking to two creatures. One was Captain Witherton, and the other was a young hare. He was looking about the room with amazement, and it was obvious that he was not paying the slightest attention to what Galrod was saying. Hazel elbowed him sharply, and he focused once more on the conversation. Galrod fixed his eyes on the young hare, who shifted uncomfortably. "As I was saying, Starbreeze, you may choose a weapon from this room, but it is only to use in case you are attacked. Your purpose at the vermin camp is not to attack them. You must not even be seen. You being are sent only to discover their numbers and carry that information to Redwall. Do you understand?"
    Starbreeze nodded once, then saluted. "I understand, m'Lord. Count the blighters, then toddle off to Redwall and warn them, wot. Er, were y' serious when y' said I could pick a weapon from in here?"
    Galrod smiled briefly. "Yes, as long as you can wield it. No battle-axes larger than yourself, now. What weapon is your favorite in training- the sword? The lance, perhaps?"
    The young hare pointed to a mace hanging on the wall. "Actually, m'Lord, I enjoy usin' the jolly old mace. It has a nice feel to it, y' could say." Galrod raised his eyebrows, but lifted down a light mace and handed it to Starbreeze, who smiled. "Thank you, sah. This is a blinkin' beauty of a weapon, wot!"
    Galrod's voice was grave, but his eyes danced merrily. "Yes, and you'd better take good care of it, Star. If you bring that back scratched and dented, I'll give you to the cook and tell him to make afternoon tea for the officers."
     Starbreeze grinned and replied thoughtfully, "Give me t' Corporal Alderbuck, sah? He's a jolly good chap, but I think you'd have some trouble getting me inside the kitchen, wot. He told me that if he ever sees me in there again, he'll make me eat me own tail."
    Hazel snorted scornfully, muttering, "I wonder why?", and Galrod had to hide a smile.
    "Ahem. I suppose Hazel will have to get the supply packs from him, then. Now off you go, and the best of luck to you both." The hares saluted solemnly and left, closing the great oaken door behind them.
~*~*~*~*~*

KitrallStreamrippler

When Russet and the others reached the Infirmary, Clove was mending some torn coverlets. She looked up, surprised, when the small party entered. The haremaid stood and performed a neat curtsy. "Good morning, Father. Skipper, Russet- good morning. What can I do for you?"
     Russet gave a bow in return before replying. "Good morning, Miz Clove. Could you please tell us any remedies you know to treat wounds from hedgehog spikes?"
     Skipper and Ordlin looked at each other, clearly baffled. Clove headed toward a small desk in the corner, as obviously puzzled as the others. "Sure, Russet. Let me get the book. But- you're not injured, are you?"
     "No, we're all fine. There's a riddle we are trying to solve, though, and I think I might have discovered some of the answer."
     Ordlin and Skipper exchanged glances again, this time of exasperation, and Skipper asked, "So, are ye goin' t'let us in on th' secret, young scamp, or are we goin' t'die of old age first?"
     Russet chuckled. "Oh, no- you two couldn't die of old age. Not for another twenty seasons at least. Anyway, it looks like Clove found what she was looking for."
     Clove had- it was a thick, leather-bound journal, with a faded cover and yellowing pages. She opened it close to the beginning, and leafed carefully through a few pages before stopping. She gave a satisfied smile and held out the book for them to see. "This is a journal that has been passed down to every Infirmary Keeper since the beginning of Redwall. In it is recorded every remedy that each Keeper has encountered, heard of, or used. This page tells how to make a poultice for injuries from hedgehog spikes, written by old Brother Torilis."
     They all peered at the neat script that filled the page and the rough sketches that accompanied it. Russet suddenly gave a triumphant shout and pointed to a note scrawled at the bottom: This entry had an unusual cause, and Corksnout Spikkle was the patient. At first, everybeast thought that he had been bitten by Baliss, the adder. Upon closer examination, however, it was revealed that Baliss had merely butted Corksnout, driving some of his hindspikes inward. The wound was not serious, and he should be fully recovered soon.

KitrallStreamrippler

Sorry it's been so long- I've been busier than I expected. Anyway, here's some more. :) Critiques are welcome, as always.
EDIT: I had to change something, because I wasn't able to get enough background on it. My apologies.

Skipper faced the grinning Russet. "All right, how did ye know abou' that?"
    Russet's smile grew wider. "Didn't you ever pay attention at Abbey School, Skip? There were stories of Baliss, a giant adder, thought to be descended from Asmodeus himself. The riddle asks what the cure for a wound from Baliss is, remember? Well, I knew that we don't have a cure for adder venom, and was stuck until I remembered a story about Corksnout getting- er, injured, by Baliss."
    The abbot cleared his throat excitedly. "I see. So now we have been led to another clue- this remedy. There must be something on this page to lead us to whatever we're looking for."
   Clove surveyed the three of them quizzically. "Pardon me, but what are you all talking about?"
    Russet glanced at Father Ordlin, who nodded. "We're trying to solve a riddle, Miz Clove. I found it in the kitchens yesterday."
    The haremaid's eyes shone with excitement. "I haven't come across a good riddle for a long time. May I see it, please?"
    Ordlin handed it over to Clove, who read it under her breath, her brows furrowing in concentration. When she was done reading, she sighed. "That is a challenge, all right. But if we can just solve those anagrams, it will become much easier."
    Skipper scratched his head. "Anagrams? Wot's that?"
    "An anagram is a word that is mixed up to make another word." A sudden smile crossed Clove's features, and she continued. "Like 'bury' and 'ruby', for example."
    The three creatures in front of her blinked and looked at one another in surprise. Then Abbott Ordlin smiled. "Well done, Clove! I never knew you were so good at solving riddles."
    Blushing, Clove shook her head. "Oh, no, Father- it's really not that hard. I'm sure anybeast could solve it."
    Russet saw that the haremaid could be quite helpful, and interrupted. "Nonsense, Miz Clove- you're brilliant! Would you like to help us solve the rest?"
     Skipper agreed heartily.. "Aye! We could use a sharp mind such as yores on this, miz."
    Clove relented, smiling broadly. "All right, I'll help. Now, it looks like there's quite a few anagrams in this riddle- they seem to make up the main portion. The fifth line points to the third as a clue: 'The treasure- a bury from the words of a Warrior dear'. We know that 'bury' means ruby, but what else in this phrase could be an anagram?"
     The four creatures pondered over this question for a moment before Ordlin spoke up. "It must be 'words'- it's the only part that doesn't quite fit."
     There was another pause, then Russet exclaimed, "Sword!" He and Skipper joined paws, dancing around jubilantly. "It's the ruby from Martin's sword!"
     Clove hid a smile. "Let's continue, shall we? We've only got the first few lines. Our next problem is the 'nots, knot the ones that you tie'. I think the only part we need to worry about there is the word 'nots'."
    Ordlin, plainly amused by the antics of Skipper Corin and Russet, cleared his throat. "Ahem. That's a wonderful start, Clove, but according to the next line, that's just the beginning. I think we'd better gather all the clues we can before trying to unscramble each word."
    Russet came to a stop long enough to voice an opinion. "I think that's a sensible suggestion, and it certainly won't harm our efforts. So what have we got? 'Nots', 'mop', and the line about meals."
    Skipper clapped him on the back, nearly knocking the young squirrel off his paws. "Ye've got it, Russet! Breakfast, lunch, supper- their 'other name' is 'meal'!"
    "Not quite," Clove put in. "It says to change one letter, but it needs to sound the same."
    Ordlin polished his spectacles and winked at Russet. "That should be easy to solve- just ask one of the Dibbuns to spell 'meal'. I seem to recall one, not too long ago, who was so bad at spelling that his words were impossible to decipher. What was his name, now?"
    Russet winked back cheerily. "I don't know, Father. It must be Pip- he once spelled your name 'Abutt Oaredlyn'."
    Clove was about to call their attention back to the riddle when they heard a disturbance outside. Rushing to the window, they saw a company of shrews coming up the path towards Redwall, singing a lively marching song.
"Just like the stream that flows so true
Is the path that we march all day through.
With our trusty friends beside us,
We put our best paw to the fore.
Forget the enemy's cutlass-
He'll need it nevermore!

Put yore footpaws left right left,
Dig yore paddles deep.
An' soon at home you'll be!

Though the path be long and full of dust,
The cause of friendship is always just.
Draw yore blade beside me
An' I'll watch yore back for you.
A battle's where I want to be-
With comrades true an' blue!

Dig yore paddles deep.
An' soon at home you'll be!

We'll brighten our hope an' hone our blades,
Our chieftain bold we'd ne'er betray.
Our foes will see our swords a-shinin',
An' they'll hear our battle cry.
Soon the new day will be dawnin'-
An' before us foes will fly!

Dig yore paddles deep.
An' soon at home you'll be!"
    Skipper was already running to the front gates, whooping, and the others followed at a more sedate pace. When they caught up to Skipper, the gates were open and he was standing in the archway, scowling at the shrews.

~*~*~*~*~*

Captain Hazel Witherton cursed her luck. Of all the hares in Salamandastron, she had to travel with Starbreeze. The young hare was delighted to be on his first mission, and had chunnered incessantly all morning. "I say, old gel, those vermin chaps had better watch out, wot! I've been trainin', y'know. I hope those scummy blighters are smart enough to post a guard- I think that any vermin we meet would soon become close friends with my mace. Very close, if y'know what I mean."
     The hearty laughter that followed this statement was stifled by Hazel shoving a paw over Star's mouth. They were getting close to the river, but her patience had snapped. "Shut it, you flop-eared nuisance! Do you want to get us caught? One more sound out of you an' y'don't get lunch!"
    She removed her paw and Starbreeze snorted indignantly. "Harrumph! Well excuse me f'flippin' breathin'. I'll keep my melodious voice to m'self from now on, wot!"
    Hazel breathed a sigh of relief, and the pair traveled in silence for a few minutes, until they reached the south bank of River Moss. "All right- we'll rest here till nightfall, then make our count under cover of darkness. Got it, Star?"
    He saluted, winking cheekily. "Got it, marm. So what are we going to do until then, Captain Witherton?"
    Hazel glared at him. "You know I only took that title to shut Major Togworth up about it- if you use it again, I'll stuff your ears up your nose and make you wear your tail as a hat. Now, we're going to have lunch, then get some sleep."
    Star flashed a nervous smile. "Er, haha, right you are, marm. Lunch, that's the ticket, wot! I'll start the fire."
    Hazel grabbed his paw and shook her head. "No, you're not. No fires- the vermin might see the smoke. It's traveling rations for lunch."
    Nodding reluctantly, Star assented, muttering, "I just hope we'll get a more substantial meal soon."
    Hazel dug out the food, passing half to Star and smiling. "You don't know what a substantial meal is till you've been t'Redwall, Star. Just you wait."
    The hares relaxed on the bank, cooling their footpaws in the shallows and eating their lunch. Hazel sighed wistfully. Why couldn't Alderbuck have been chosen to go on this mission with her? He was an excellent cook-  these traveling cakes were his invention, actually. They were thick oat scones made with berries, nuts, and honey. They were quite sustaining, and delicious, especially with a flask of dandelion and burdock cordial.
    Once the pair had finished their lunch, Starbreeze dozed off, his footpaws still half in the river. Smirking, Hazel considered leaving his paws to get waterlogged, but decided against it. The coming night would be wasted if they couldn't march on after counting the vermin's numbers. Leaning back against a sandy hillock, Hazel kept her eye on the sand dunes on the northern bank and waited for nightfall.

~*~*~*~*~*

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000