News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Favorite Weapon in the Series

Started by davers84, August 19, 2013, 05:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrrrr

Martin's sword.

It destroyed the most vermin. It killed EDIT: Asmodeus, who was thought to be invincible.
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Hickory

No, the collapsing hillside + the fire killed Baliss.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Mhera

Tiria's sharkskin sling. Fantastic simplicity.

rrrrr

That was cool. And she's so good with it too.
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Stonestripe

I really liked the sword that the Rapscallion leaders used one side wavey the other stright and a secret ring that mad it land on the side the leader preferred. It was famous in the way of the vermin like martin's sword was to redwall. Whoever had it was respected and followed.
"Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

—The law of Badger Lords"

Edraithel

Bows are my favorite weapons but I can't think of a particular bow that was very special in the series. If I had to pick a special weapon it would be the Sgian Dhus or black dagger that Rakkety Tam used.
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

The Skarzs

Quote from: Stonestripe on April 21, 2015, 09:53:48 PM
I really liked the sword that the Rapscallion leaders used one side wavey the other stright and a secret ring that mad it land on the side the leader preferred. It was famous in the way of the vermin like martin's sword was to redwall. Whoever had it was respected and followed.
As a blacksmith, I have no idea how that would be made. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Skyblade

Quote from: The Skarzs on April 01, 2015, 08:09:50 PM
Quote from: Skyblade on April 01, 2015, 05:58:45 PM
I have always liked Zaran's double-bladed sword. It's this that got me interested in weapons with two blades. I honestly don't know how efficient they are, but to me they seem interesting, cool, and nifty.
Historically, double-bladed swords never existed for real. Skallagrim had made a video explaining why they aren't the best of ideas, and I think I'll post a link to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPXOOKEnvoQ

In short, the weigh twice as much as a regular sword would, lessening its usefulness due to swords requiring the lack of weight. (Most European longswords weighed in at about 2-3.5 pounds, and even the massive bigswords weighed only like 5-9 pounds.) When striking, one would not be able to get a decent cut in with the forward blade without hitting themselves with the same force with the opposite blade.

In order for something like that to work decently, the blades would have to take up rather little of the length, like so: <====]+==========+[====> You would be able to hold the sword near a hilt and be able to hit out without the long blade hitting your body, but the potential for cutting your arms is still there. The long handle would be of better use so it could be used as a quarter staff with pointy ends.

Personally, the historic, tried-and-true weapons, while often simple, are effective and have been used, rather than many fantasy weapons such as a double-bladed sword. Even so, adjustments could be made to make these weapons useful, but going with originals doesn't always hurt. ;)

Thanks for the clarification; I actually figured it may not be practical ;)

I have taken a liking to Finnbarr Galedeep's twin blades (maybe as an alternative to the double-bladed sword :P). What would it be like to fight with one sword in each hand?

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

The Skarzs

Glad I could help clarify.

I dunno what using two swords would be like; it's been done in real life, though not often, so I'm curious as to how the movements would be.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Dannflower Reguba

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the style often prioritized one sword for defensive purposes while the other was used the same as usual. A stance involving cross overs would be far more aggressively capable, but would also leave a lot of vulnerability.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Spearfinn

I sometimes have cold steel (you know those really hard plastic  weapons) hunger games type things and i get duble swords alot and it's actully hard to use them.
Redwallllllll!

Skyblade

Well, based on some research, a sword and shield is more preferable. A second sword would be used more as a defensive weapon.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!