News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Never Forget; One shot

Started by rachel25, September 29, 2013, 03:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rachel25

Never Forget
It was the dead of winter. The snow was thick upon the ground and the wind blowing through the trees sounded like a wounded beast. Through all this walked a lone figure. It was a mouse, young in seasons, well-built but very thin. An old rusty sword sheathed across his back was just visible under a ragged, old cloak. 
He walked on through the howling wind and swirling snow, head bent against the elements, his whole body aching with tiredness. Suddenly, his foot paw caught on a tree root under the snow, sending him crashing to the icy ground. He lay there face down in the snow, ignoring the cold that seeped through to his bones, too tired to move, too tired to continue, too tired to care. He began to weep silently, his whole body shaking with grief as the tears froze in silvery trails on his fur.
"Oh, Rose, why did you have to die?" He sobbed, his voice a mere whisper against the volume of the wind. He didn't know how long he stayed like this, allowing the cold to ease its way into him, feeling the sly fingers of Death tug gently at the edge of his tattered cloak. He fancied that he could see Rose just ahead of him in the snow and he imagined her bright eyes shining with the delight of seeing him again. Only she didn't look pleased. She looked sad, and almost angry. He made to move towards her but she shook her head once, giving him a gentler look than before, then promptly disappeared.
He sat up in the snow and wiped his eyes, understanding what she was trying to say. Not yet. One day they would be together again, but not yet. Until then he had to live off the memories he had of her, her bright eyes, her soft fur, her sweet voice that he could hear even now.
                      You will find me at Noonvale on the side of a hill
                         When the summer is peaceful and high,
                          There where streamlets meander the valley is still,
                           Neath the blue of a calm cloudless sky on the side of a hill
                           When the summer is peaceful and high,
                          There where streamlets meander the valley is still,
                          Neath the blue of a calm cloudless sky
                            Look for me at dawning when the earth is asleep.
                          Till each dewdrop is kissed by the day,
                          Neath the rowan and alder a vigil I'll keep,
                            Every moment that you are away,
                           The old earth gently turns as the seasons change slowly.
                              All the flowers and leaves born to wane.
                              Hear my song o'er the lea, like the wind soft and lowly.
                               Oh, please come back to Noonvale again.
The young mouse stood up and unsheathed the sword off his back. With one swift movement that spoke of a familiarity with weapons, he stabbed it down into the frozen ground. Kneeling down before it he spoke in a voice full of sorrow, but also of determination.
"I, Martin the Warrior, vow in the name of LaterRose of Noonvale, to protect those that I love, even at the cost of my own life, for as long as I live."? He spoke loudly, his voice booming out into the empty woodland. He then stood up and sheathed his sword onto his back, pulled his cloak tightly around himself, and continued to walk through the quiet woodland.
His destination was still unknown to him, but there was a strong feeling pulling him in this direction. No matter where he went, or how long he lived, her voice and her spirit would stay with him, driving him forwards and giving him hope.

Captain Tammo

I like it, very well done! How long did it take to write?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

rachel25

Thanks and not long, I wrote quite a long time ago and I noticed it was still on my flash drive so I decided to post it here but when I first wrote it my older sister helped write bits of it  :)

Gnoflet

Cool. I'm guessing its about Martin coming to mossflower?
Shut him up or shut him down.
Normal is just a setting on your dryer.

Gnoflet

Shut him up or shut him down.
Normal is just a setting on your dryer.

battle dragon

I think it excellently written. but I think you could have made the vow a bit more epic and a bit longer.
Awesome Domination is my game and Battle Dragon is my name

Cornflower MM

I like it! Very nice. Huh, wish I had a sister or a friend to with MINE....Anyway, I want to see more SOON, got that Missy?

rachel25

Sorry, I didn't say, but its a one shot. Just a short story.  :)

Blaggut

~Just a soft space boi~

rachel25

Yes, I wrote it, and posted it on there. My user name on there is Running Colours.  :)

Blaggut

I remember! Yah, small world eh?
~Just a soft space boi~