Are the earlier Redwall books the best?

Started by HashRouge, July 27, 2011, 04:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrrrr

I agree. It's my second favorite next to High Rhulain.
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Delthion

My favorite is Mattimeo, then Rakkety Tam.

Taggerung was boring. No battle, no real villain. Actually, it seemed as if Taggerung himself was the main villain, and the main hero in the same instant.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Stellamara

Mattimeo is on my shelf for my Redwall re-read, and I'm vaguely annoyed I have to re-read all the parts where Mattimeo is a whiny brat before he steps up and becomes a hero. It was such a letdown to have the son of such a great character and warrior start out as such a punk.

Delthion

He didn't seem to be a whiny brat in the beginning to me, sure he had some rather large flaws, but he fixed that and then helped everyone out of the mess that they were in.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Stellamara

I know it'll get better once Mattimeo "grows up" in the book, but establishing his initial character in those first few chapters can be a slog to read through.

The Skarzs

But it's encouraging to see how much he changes. . .
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

CaptainRocktree

I personally think its not a matter of earlier books and newer books, But just a matter of everyone's preference.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

clunylooney

I mean, High Rhulain is my third favorite redwall book. But I haven't read Triss, Loamhedge, Rakkety Tam, Eulalia, Doomwyte, The Sable Quean or The Rogue Crew but I have read All the books up to Marlfox (which I adore). And I say that because I haven't finished The Legend of Luke but I've also read Lord Brocktree and Taggerung and I absoflippinlutely love both of them so If you call Lord Brocktree or Taggerung as "later" books than no. But like I said, I haven't read Triss, Loamhedge, Rakkety Tam, Eulalia, Doomwyte, The Sable Quean or The Rogue Crew which are the really later books. High Rhulain is later and as said in the beginning, it's my third favorite. Keep in mind that my top 2 favorites are Mossflower and Redwall. Wow I made this long!
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me