Brian's TV Introductions

Started by TW, November 22, 2013, 10:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TW

Hello everyone. I'm a longtime reader of Redwall and have wandered through these forums for a while. I'm not usually one to join and post in forums, but I've looked around and didn't see anything on this topic so I thought I'd bring it up.

It's pretty easy to find the Redwall TV Series on Youtube and such, but I've heard that each episode was opened and closed with a few words from Brian himself. I have both DVD sets for Redwall, as well as the Mattimeo and Martin the Warrior collections and haven't seen anything like this on those. I was unfamiliar with the book series until 4th grade in 2004 when I read Marlfox, so if these scenes with Brian only aired for episode premieres I missed them. Does anyone have any information on these scenes? I looked around Youtube, but found nothing. These introductions probably aren't anything groundbreaking, but I think they'd be quite interesting to watch anyway and it would be a shame if they just disappeared. Thank you for your time.

-TW
"In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. It's not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

Osu

I haven't heard anything of the sort, but I didn't come across the TV series until well after it stopped airing. How did you come to hear of them, if I may? I'll look into 'em, too.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

TW

I couldn't recall a specific place I'd heard about, just that I came across some mentions of it in different places. I did a quick Google search and found a part of The Long Patrol site that actually had transcripts of these scenes. They're actually pretty interesting and some of it is stuff I didn't know even after looking around for old interviews and book tour videos. It would be nice to see the actual scenes.

Here's the link: http://rwtv.longpatrolclub.com/bj_s1.html

Something else I wanted to bring up, have any of Brian old songs from The Liverpool Fishermen ever turned up online? I might post a separate thread for that in the Other Works forum. I just think it would be nice to have easy access to his older works. It's a shame they've become so hard to find.
"In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. It's not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

Romsca

I've seen a few of these because my uncle had recorded them earlier on his TV. I need to check out the other ones, though! :)

(when I have time lol)

Blazemane

I remember seeing those when the show was on PBS. Maybe you already saw this since you posted the link to the first one, but the Long Patrol Club has a second page of transcriptions if you're interested:

http://rwtv.longpatrolclub.com/bj_s2.html

I don't know about the Liverpool Fishermen, though...

TW

I figured that the only way we could get the introductions would be someone who recorded them either converting the VHS to something that could be put onto a computer, or someone taking a video of the recording. I just don't know how easy it is to do the conversion. Is it worth looking into?

Here's a link to The Liverpool Fishermen page on Redwall Wiki: http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/The_Liverpool_Fishermen

Osu

Ahhhh a Brian Jacques treasure I never knew of, that's so awesome! Thanks for the links, y'all!
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Ungatt Trunn

I read on  the Redwall Wiki (or was it Wikipedia?) something about BJ giving an introduction at the beggining of each TV episode telling what happened in the previouse eopisode, or something like that. It must have been cut from the DVD version.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Ferrousferret

Actually, one of the DVD releases for season one has these as a bonus feature, but that's the only place I've ever seen them. I only know because one of the libraries by me had that particular version & it was listed on the back.

The only problem- I'm pretty sure that specific release only managed to get season one out on two sets. They're cheap (both together are cheaper than the original price of the Funmation release) but, these little "Ask Brian" segments were also on season 2 (A different kind of segment was implemented in season 3) & I'm pretty sure I can't find either.

And, I'm still a little peeved that (I'm pretty sure) either the DVD releases were abridged, or the PBS syndication was prolonged... and I'm pretty sure I know which, considering I explicitly remember scenes that weren't on the DVDs. >:(

TW

They are on the Season 1 DVDs? Do we know which edition? When I can get to my copies of Season 1 later this week, I'll take a look to see if they're on either one. If it's on a two part release we can rule out the 2006 Season 1 set. My first half of Season 1 is the original DVD release and my second half is the rerelease from a couple of years ago. As far as I know, those are the only English language DVD releases, so I'll be able to confirm then.

Romsca

Do you know if the Netflix versions are abridged?

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Romsca on November 26, 2013, 03:54:28 AM
Do you know if the Netflix versions are abridged?
I've seen the Redwall TV series on Netfilx at my grandpa's house. They didn't have the episode introduction from BJ.

Firehawke

I loved the framing he did for the episodes...sure hope a copy has been saved and can be made available to all!
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Firehawke on November 26, 2013, 07:09:46 PM
I loved the framing he did for the episodes...sure hope a copy has been saved and can be made available to all!
Well, there dosn't seem to be any DVD copie available with it.

TW

Well I looked through my Redwall DVDs and it seems like there aren't any bonus features at all on the 2003 and 2011 DVD releases. Brian's intros weren't limited to a certain region, were they?