News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Frozen

Started by Dannflor, January 08, 2014, 08:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

The Skarzs

Quote from: Dag Downyfur on June 17, 2014, 04:45:37 PM
For example, where the heck did Elsa's powers come from? Was she cursed? In that case, who would curse a child for no apparent reason? Was it passed down in the family? But then, why would they have no knowledge of how to deal with it?
MUTANT! :o
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Tam and Martin

Quote from: The Skarzs on June 18, 2014, 03:07:54 AM
Quote from: Dag Downyfur on June 17, 2014, 04:45:37 PM
For example, where the heck did Elsa's powers come from? Was she cursed? In that case, who would curse a child for no apparent reason? Was it passed down in the family? But then, why would they have no knowledge of how to deal with it?
MUTANT! :o
me to go see professor X  ;D

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

The Skarzs

"Hello, Esla, and welcome to my school for gifted youngsters."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

Okay, just watched this again, and it may just be the nerd in me, but... Did it bother anyone else that the people in it are Norwegian, but all the clothes and architecture and customs  are Russian (King? No... Tsar)?
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

James Gryphon

Well, most every fairy tale world is based on some culture or another, but it's usually altered based on the perspective of the writer. I didn't see the film, but I've listened to the songs, saw a few Youtube clips, and read the script, and it seemed okay to me.

I agree that the songs really get stuck in your head. I'm not the best acquainted with Disney films, but I'm not sure that any of their other works have been loaded with as consistently great of a soundtrack as this one since The Lion King. It's funny that "Let It Go" seems to have gotten the notoriety. I don't think that's even the best one; "Love is an Open Door" is the outright catchiest one that I think I've heard. 'DYWTBAS' is really memorable, too, just because it's really such a sad song.

I thought the story was good, for the most part. Anna's such a sweetheart, and I absolutely love the sibling relationship and the twist at the end of the story, where the villain is revealed. The one thing that might have been better explained is why Elsa was so isolated from her sister for over ten years. I mean, they were apart for longer than they'd been together before the accident. That doesn't seem healthy.

The story right now seems to imply that this was initiated by her parents, who wanted to conceal her powers from the rest of the world. However, cutting off all contact whatsoever seems to border on paranoid, and in the real world, would be considered abusive. The only thing that makes sense is that they only intended to limit it temporarily, at first, while things got settled, but that Elsa's powers consistently involuntarily flared up when she saw or was asked to interact with her sister. I suppose that Elsa was traumatized by her sister's near-death experience, and since her loss of control is primarily brought on by her negative emotions, it's possible that seeing Anna could remind her of that and trigger an episode. If that was a constant risk, it would be a satisfactory reason to try to keep them apart.

Even so, though, I'm not sure why they wouldn't tell Anna about it at some point, perhaps when she was a teenager. As it was, she didn't find out until after their parents died, and presumably never would have if Elsa hadn't lost control at the coronation party. I think that was a mistake; it seems that it would've helped both of them a lot to clue her in at some point. Anna by knowing that Elsa still loved her, and just wanted to protect her from that danger; Elsa by knowing that she isn't hurting Anna by keeping her at a distance. When Elsa is relaxed and at peace, she seems to control her ability very well. The psychological stress of keeping them separated probably exacerbated her problems.

Other than that, I liked almost everything about it. Compromises have to be made when you're adapting classic fairy tales for film, but I think the ones that were made were for the good of the story. All in all, I think it's a great effort by Disney.
« Subject to editing »

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on July 22, 2014, 12:58:53 AM
Okay, just watched this again, and it may just be the nerd in me, but... Did it bother anyone else that the people in it are Norwegian, but all the clothes and architecture and customs (King? No... Tsar)?

WYLDER!!!

Jetthebinturong

I saw the first part of Frozen in school today and I'm sorry to be a naysayer but it definitely did not live up to the hype it received. It was by no means a bad movie but it was not a good one either, the animation is excellent, the songs are amazingly well sung but the storyline is mediocre and the film is very halting and jerky. What I mean by that is that the transitions are poorly done, everything moves along far too quickly and the music of the songs does not blend with the music that was on before (this is especially notable with Let it go)
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

rachel25

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on July 22, 2014, 04:44:48 PM
I saw the first pa of Frozen in school today and I'm sorry to be a naysayer but it definitely did not live up to the hype it received. It was by no means a bad movie but it was not a good one either, the animation is excellent, the songs are amazingly well sung but the storyline is mediocre and the film is very halting and jerky. What I mean by that is that the transitions are poorly done, everything moves along far too quickly and the music of the songs does not blend with the music that was on before (this is especially notable with Let it go)
I do think I agree with you. Though I do enjoy the film, its not as amazing as some people are making it out to be. I personally prefer Tangled, which was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Frozen.

Gwen A. Mouse

I just think it's funny that everyone loved it SO MUCH, so they watched it a zillion times and now they're all sick of it. Whereas I only saw it twice ever, so I'm still willing to watch it again. Ha- on Prom night, other kids were getting drunk and partying- our double date went to a friend's house and watched Frozen. :D
"You need to get yourself a better dictionary. When you do, look up genocide. You'll see a little picture of me there and the caption'll read 'over my dead body'!" -The Doctor

Cornflower MM

I have seen it all of two times, and I won't be wanting to see it again any time soon.

Wylder Treejumper

Hmm. I agree with Jet.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Cornflower MM

ATTENTION ALL BOOKS AND MOVIES: This group of Redwallers will pick apart anything and everything and fing fault with it. BE PREPARED!

Lol.....

Emperor Ublaz

I've seen it FIVE TIMES.  :o And all because my sisters love it, and I had nothing else to do.
Myst is the best puzzle game EVER!!!

You can win by losing. Jesus did.

Why are you looking
So intently at the beans
While they are sleeping?
               --haiku by me

Linux is GREAT!!!

Cornflower MM