News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Osu Fanfic Contest Entry! "The Chronicle of Cornspurrey"

Started by Captain Tammo, January 18, 2014, 10:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

This is my entry for the Osu Fanfiction Contest of Hareish Proportions!

This is a tale (2,117 words) about Cornspurrey De Fformelo Tussock, a character from The Long Patrol who was also Tammo's father. In this tale, we will travel into Cornspurrey's memories and witness the events leading up to the Battle of Bugle Beach (the beach in front of Salamandastron) through his eyes and hear his thoughts and see his environment. While reading, text that is in Italics are usually Cornspurrey's thoughts unless they are in "quotation marks", which will signify emphasis on certain words.

Note: that this may be confusing to read. But don't worry, that's how battle is supposed to be in the world of Redwall!

Anyway, I could explain this thing forever, but I'll just let you read it. Comment if you've any questions and I'll be sure to answer them :)

This was Cornspurrey's first battle, also known as The Chronicle of Cornspurrey...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cornspurrey De Fformelo Tussock slumped back in his chair in front of the fireplace. He took off his monocle and squinted at it for a brief moment and polished it carefully. The fire had long gone out and Cornspurrey had hardly moved an inch. This was the tenth anniversary of the great Battle at Bugle Beach, the start of his long patrol career and one of it's greatest highlights. He thought to himself, "Forty seasons. Forty blinkin' seasons! Is that how long it has really been? I remember it like it was jus' last night! Good ole Longshot Lenny, Brilaw the Brick, One-kick Wendell, Powerhouse Pan..." He trailed off and sighed, "And then there was Cornspurrey..." He looked up at the chipped battle axe that hung above the mantle and decided to relive his old history. He whispered to himself, "Runner Cornspurrey the Courageous."
   Time whizzed backwards in a great flash of light. Cornspurrey closed his single eye and traveled to a time long ago. Back, back, back forty seasons to the moments just before he saw the first wave of corsairs land on Bugle Beach in front of Salamandastron...
<><><><><>

The Long Patrol had received no warning of the searat advance. They simply appeared out of the morning mist after a rainy summer night.
   "To arms! All beasts prepare for battle! We got a bloomin' armada on our front door wot!" The sentries sounded the alarm and the morning sun melted away the mist to reveal what would be known as the biggest naval assault on Mossflower's coast since the times of Ungatt Trunn.
   Runner Cornspurrey De Fformelo Tussock stumbled out of his bunk, struggling to put the boots on his oversized paws. The whole mountain was shaking under a thousand pairs of footpaws running to and fro with weapons of every shape and size in paw. Battle horns filled Conspurrey's ears with deafening volume. He dashed through the tight corridors of the fortress, struggling to find his way as a new recruit.
   "Tussock, over here!" It was his friend corporal Brilaw with the rest of his section. "We gotta get t' the beach, else the whole blinkin' mountain 'll be overrun wot!"
   Cornspurrey scrambled with his section to the entrance of the fortress and darted out onto the beach.
   200 Meters.
   "Fall in! Prepare for battle!" The sergeant yelled. Horns sounded from the ships as they neared closer and closer to the shore. Cornspurrey gripped his Long Patrol runner's knife and tried to steady his breathing. He had only been in the Long Patrol for a quarter of a season and he was already about to be in his first battle!
   Easy Cornspurrey. Breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out...
   150 meters.
   "Build up some sand bunkers, those arrows 'll be comin' in heavy an' hot! I say build those sand bunkers wot!"
   Dig, dig, dig, breath in, dig, dig, dig, breath out, dig, dig, dig, breath in, dig, dig, dig, breath out, dig, dig, dig, breath in, dig, dig, dig, breath out...
   "Tussock, you an' private Pan bring this message to brigadier Trimmin on the double!"
   Dig, dig, dig, breath in, run, run, breath out, dig, dig, dig, breath in, run, run, breath out, dig, dig, dig, breath in, run, run, breath out...
   100 meters.
   "Thank you Runner Tussock, Private Pan. I will make changes accordingly. Meanwhile I need you two to spread the word that the point of focus will be the enemy's South flank, no questions!"
   "Yissir!"
   Dig, dig, dig, breath in, run, run, South flank, breath out, dig, dig, dig, breath in, run, run, South flank, breath out, dig, dig, dig, breath in, run, run, South flank, breath out...
   "Hold it, Runner! Fetch the rank updates from General Salter. He'll be next to the badger lord at the entrance o' the mountain!
   50 meters.
   Dig, dig, dig, find General Salter, breath in, run, run, South flank, breath out, dig, dig, dig,  find General Salter, breath in, run, run, South flank, breath out, dig, dig, dig, find General Salter, breath in, run, run, South flank, breath out...
   "What in the blazes is he doin' asking for that kind of information in the middle of a war?! I'll have him court-martialed for such nonsense! Tell him to use base seven for the attack, wot. Ye hear me, base seven! An' if I see a single hare out o' his place it won't be the enemy he'll have t' look out for!"
   Cornspurrey saluted and turned to relay his message with a head that seemed full enough to burst. The enemy was nearly on the shore and he was feeling more scared than he had ever been in his entire life. Why should his first battle be one of such large proportions? Why couldn't it be something like a small band of vermin to help him ease into the swing of things?
   "Hold it right there, soldier." The badger lord's booming bass voice fell upon Cornspurrey's rigid ears and he froze on the spot.
   I did something wrong, I did something wrong, I did something wrong, oooh I'm going to get the scolding o' my life an' then I'm gonna die in my first battle. Why didn't I say 'yissir' like I was s'possed to do?!
   Cornspurrey turned to face the badger lord. His skinny knees were nearly smacking together as the great badger lord leaned forward until he was mere inches away from his face. "What is your name, soldier?"
   Okay, just answer the badger lord. It's jus' my name s'all...
   Cornspurrey threw a salute and replied "Runner Cornsock sah, erm, Tusspurrey Tussock—Runner Cornspurrey Tussock sah!" His voice must've squeaked at least twice and the badger lord did not look amused. He leaned in closer until they were eye to eye with one another.
   "Are you scared, Cornspurrey? Be honest now, we've only a few moments until they land."
   Cornspurrey looked straight into the eyes of the badger lord and replied truthfully. "Yes sah, very much so."
   The badger lord nodded, "Good answer, soldier. Look around you, not every creature is going to survive this fight. You're about to go straight through hell's gates. Cornspurrey, I want you to remember what I say: when you're going through hell, keep giving 'em blood an' vinegar until you come out on the other side. Do you understand?"
   Cornspurrey felt rejuvenated and threw up a salute, "Yes sah!"
   "Excellent, I'll see you there. Now return to your section on the double, we've a long day ahead of us!"
   "Yissir!" Cornspurrey spun around on his heel and dashed back to his section.
   Blood an' vinegar, blood an' vinegar, blood an' vinegar...
   Cornspurrey leapt over the sand barrier where his section lay waiting.
   "Great blinkin' seasons, Tussock! You had me convinced you were a searat leaping o'er th' barrier like that! Where the blazes were you by the way? Being absent without leave is the greatest of of offenses in the Long Patrol, don't ye know that?"
   "Sorry Wendell, was speakin' with the big beast himself. Confidential business an' all wot wot! By the way, how'd ye get that battle axe there? All I got under mah belt is this Runner's Knife!"
   "Standard issue, mate. Here, trade me, I can't wield this thing for the life o' me! I prefer t' use me paws, so that knife 'll do me much more good in the heat o' war. Wot!" Said Wendell. Cornspurrey threw him his Runner's Knife and took the axe in return. It was a beautifully crafted piece: a solid oak shaft, steel capped butt, two razor blades at the top with triangular holes cut into it for cleaner and quicker slices. But it was not a new weapon either, there were five notches— five kills— cut into the shaft. The shaft was worn, a good thing since a new one would've given many a blister. Aside from that it was nearly perfect in condition. Cornspurrey held it tightly in his paws and waited patiently for more orders.
   Corporal Brilaw called out to the section, "Alright mates, this is it! They jus' about triple us in numbers an' are all battle tested killers. Let's remind these scum why Salamandastron is still the defender o' Mossflower after more 'n a thousand seasons! Give 'em hell mates— there's the whistle, up an' over, chaaaarge!"
   Cornspurrey leapt over the sand barrier and charged into the fray as he and fifty score Long Patrol hares yelled out their time honored battle cry,
   "Eulaliaaaa! S' death on the wind!"
   It was enough to chill any villain's blood! Even though it was Cornspurrey's very first battle, he ran with a heart full of courage toward the army of corsairs. All fear that had been holding him back was vaporized by the fire in his eyes. He fixed his sight on a single rat wading ashore and doubled his speed. Cornspurrey crossed Bugle Beach faster than almost every other beast around him and pounced upon the unfortunate searat without any mercy. He swung his axe with great effect, narrowly escaping death multiple times.
   "Easy Tussock, you'll get yerself killed if you're not payin' attention! Always know where the enemy is, every one of 'em! Longshot Lenny jus' saved yer tail takin' out one that was sneakin' up on ye. I say you have too much potential to go down in yer first battle, wot. Remember basic training an' you'll do jolly well, chap." Said Pan.
   Remember basic training, remember basic training...
<><><><><>

"Fall back, fall back!" The badger lord's words echoed around Cornspurrey's drooping ears. Cornspurrey was ready to collapse with exhaustion, but he kept fighting back. He had slain at least a half score and wounded three times that amount. He was a natural born warrior with the skill of a true Long Patrol hare. He hadn't even noticed that he was the only hare left on Bugle Beach until the badger lord himself was next to him.
   "Tussock, are you trying to get yourself killed?! Did you not hear my orders to fall back?" The badger lord said.
   "Yes sah, I did. But I remembered what you said an' have ne'er been so convinced as I am now that I'm goin' through hell. So I'm gonna keep givin' 'em blood an' vinegar until I come out the other side!"
   "I said drag your tail back to the mountain or else you'll be dealing with me!" Cornspurrey needed no further orders. He dashed back to the mountain entrance with the badger lord and dodged behind the door just in time to get out of the way of at least a score of arrows. Once inside, the entrance was firmly sealed and the badger lord sighed. "Tussock, you may not know the first thing about war and taking orders, but I can't help but admire such courage. I saw you slay at least three o' those scum just in the time it took me to run out and grab you. But never do that again. If it warn't for me you'd be without a head! Now report to your section, punishment later."
   Cornspurrey threw a salute and ran off. He met up with the rest of his section and told them of what had happened and what the badger lord had said to him.
   "What the bloody hell did I tell you, Tussock!? You can't be that reckless, it'll get ya killed!"
   "Sorry Pan." He said.
   "Hey, that sticks pretty nicely, Cornspurrey the Courageous, takin' on a whole armada o' sea-scum an' comin' back in one piece. Jolly good show wot!" Said Corporal Brilaw. Cornspurrey's chest swelled with pride.
   "Aye, that's me mates, ole Cornspurrey the Courageous!"
<><><><><>

They were all there, all of Cornspurrey's greatest comrades toasting and shouting in the mess hall. Cornspurrey could see every single hare present and each of the expressions on their faces as clear as the day. And even despite the fact that he received the punishment of a lifetime for disobeying orders, he still remembered that day as one of the greatest moments of his life. He opened his eye and saw it all fade back into his memory. All of the adventures he went on after that and the challenges he faced were nothing but thoughts in his head now. Though he would never admit it to be true, Cornspurrey cried like a babe that night. However none of his tears were sad. They were full of happiness, gratefulness. He wished he could see his old friends once more, just to thank them for the times that they spent together.
    What he wouldn't give to see them all together again.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Leatho Shellhound

Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Captain Tammo

Thanks, Leatho! Can't wait to see how it stacks up against all the other entries!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo