News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Honor's Colours (Osu's Contest)

Started by Leatho Shellhound, February 06, 2014, 06:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leatho Shellhound

Entry to Osu's Fanfiction Contest of Hareish Proportions
Events and characters are from and take place from the book The Rogue Crew

Word count (is subject to change due to minor editing): 2166

Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Leatho Shellhound

Art by Osu

Honor's Colours

By Leatho Shellhound                    

It was a merry day of Spring. Long Patrol hares were marching along the river Moss, home-bound to Salamandastron, a beautiful new standard was flying in the wind at the head of the troop. They had come from the abbey of Redwall for the said standard that was made by the skilled beasts that lived there. It was blue with a face that was half hare and half badger and the great fire mountain behind.

They were singing a marching song as a scout ran toward them. He was in great haste and had a paw on his bleeding arm. As he got near he cried.

“Vermin are…” too late, he was shot down by an arrow. Large sea rats and other vermin poured out of the trees on either side of the bank. The Long Patrollers took out their weapons, vermin were every where. The fight was short but desperate.

A large ermine held the banner of Salamandastron high in the air and the vermin cried in victory. Yet there was one, who was deeper in the forest that cried in sadness and anger, a lone hare who had gotten away. Her tears were also in shame, for she had run in fear as the enemy had begun to overwhelm them. Her name was Lancejack Sage.

Badger lady Violet Wildstripe stood on the top of the great mountain she ruled. In her sight lay hundreds of miles of both sea and land. But what caught her eye was a single figure coming toward them from the north along the shore. As the creature drew near, Lady Violet could see it was a hare by the long ears. Soon after, Lieutenant Scutram came up to report the presents of the oncoming hare.

“Thank you Scutram, may I ask you what you make of it?” She replied.

“Indeed marm, I think its one of our patrollers but who, I really don’t know my Lady,” Said he.

Violet turned to leave, “Very well, bring the hare to my quarters as soon as it gets here.”

“Yes marm” Scutram said bowing low.

Lancejack Sage was led into the room where Lady Violet was waiting.

“Report your self,” Said the badger lady.

“Lancejack Sage of the… the,” she paused as she fought back a sod. “Of the eleventh Patrol, back from the Abbey… was attacked by corsairs, last one alive.” She choked out before breaking down. Lady Violet came up and held her tight. After a while she asked more questions till she got the whole story from the Abbey to the loss of the standard.

The badger lady sent out messages to the otters of the high north coast to bring the ship, the Posy Gurdy, down to do battle. They returned in the ship a day after three vermin ships had passed the mountain and had headed out to sea.

A meeting was held in one of the great chambers of salamandastron over what was to be done.

“I believe we must go after them!” Lady Violet proclaimed, “not only for the standard but for my hares that were murdered and for the safety of this coast.”

“But they have gone out to sea, if they were on land I’d gladly go after them in our wheeled ship and destroy them, wot,” exclaimed Captain Nubbs Miggory who commanded the Posy Gurdy on land.

“We could go after them sure enough,” said Ruggan Axehound Captain of the ship at sea, “I and me otters will slay every last one of them.”

At this the badger ruler stood.

“I do not doubt you and your otter’s ability to go after the vermin but this was an offence against Salamandastron not the High North Coast. We must also think of poor Lancejack Sage who believes she has lost her honor by fleeing from the slaughter and so preserving her life. We hares have our pride if nothing else.”

“I think both otters and hares should go after them at sea, and so defeat them.” Lieutenant Scutram said quite unexpectedly.

“I be a thinking Scutram is right, I vote we go together after the filthy vermin.” Ruggan put in.

“Very well, all in favor raise your paw,” concluded Lady Violet.

All paws went up.

The next morning they packed the green ship full of provisions and fresh water. Both captains, Nubbs Miggory and Ruggan Axehound, chose the crew that would sail with them. About a score of otters were picked out of the ones that had come down in the ship from the high north coast, and some fifteen Long Patrollers among the first of which was Lancejack Sage.

After farewells the Posy Gurdy left with the evening tide. For the most part the first few days went by rather uneventful, look outs were on duty night and day ready to tell the ever eager crew if the vermin ships had been sighted. One of the eager crew was Violet Wildstripe, who looking up once more at the top of the main mast shouted.

“Are the ships to be seen?”

“No my lady, not since you asked a few minutes ago.” The otter look-out replied. “Wait I think There may be some thing, to the south west, yes! I see a ship!”

There was much talk through out the crew as the first of the vermin ships had been spotted. As they sailed toward the evening sun, all three ships were silhouetted and growing ever larger.

Many a beast spent a sleepless night hoping that they wouldn’t lose the vermin in the dark hours. Almost every beast that was able was on deck as the first rays of light flooded the sky. To the otter captains pride the tri ships were in sight, a little to the north this time but much closer.

By late morning the closest ship was in range of their giant cross bow. And they were only to happy to send their first act of vengeance upon the vermin. After four shots that either fell into the water or went harmlessly through the sail, the fifth hit home just under the water line. A wild cheer went up.

Due to the vermin ship leaking in lots of water from the damage it was slowing down and would soon be caught by the Posy Gurdy. Smelling the on coming battle both otter and hare captains got their beasts ready for a fight. Lancejack Sage was one of those chosen to board the enemy vessel. She was sharpening her lance; she would not run or cower this time. Her enemies are to be warned of her on coming wrath. The crew was split into three groups, one party commanded by the badger lady was made up of sling and bow beasts. They were going to sweep the decks of the vermin ship with missiles. The next party led by Captain Nubbs Miggory would take the rest of the hares and board the vermin’s ship by leaping onto it as the vessels came together. Lastly the remaining otters and Captain Ruggan Axehound would swim under the enemy and attack from behind.

And this they carried out to the fullest. Many a corsair went down to arrow and stone as they crashed into the Posy Gurdy. Lancejack was the second to jump after Miggory. She impaled a large fox before she had hit the foe’s deck. The onslaught of the hares was fierce but the vermin rallied and fought back. The battle was slowly going badly until a war cry went up.

“Hoolawhey! Hiyaree!” And with that the otters poured over the bulwarks from the sea. That did the vermin in, attacked from both sides as they were. The few corsairs that made it aboard the Posy Gurdy were killed by Lady Violet and the archers.

The enemy ship was now sinking fast, and Miggory had just enough time to salvage the vermin captain’s papers from his cabin.

All vermin on that ship had been accounted for. Among the crew of the green ship only two beasts had died and were given a proper burial at sea. Several others had been wounded.

“We have won a great victory today. Let us never forget those who lost their lives in the battle, Drake Swiftfur and Serrick Icewater.” Lady Violet paused in honor of her fallen comrades. “But the war goes on still, for two ships, one of which carries our colours still, must be defeated!”

“Eulalia!” was the answering cry.

The battle had cost them much time. The other two corsair vessels had abandoned their kin and had used the time to get away. But since Captain Nubbs had found the vermin papers they knew where they were heading. A small wooded Isle named Burnleaf.

They set course toward it at once, and after the moon had risen and fallen several nights the Isle came upon the horizon. As they neared it they could see both ships anchored in the bay. Captain Ruggan sailed around the Isle but because of all the trees their ship could not sail over the land as they had hoped. They lay anchor in the bay along side the others and set their foot paws on the dry sand. Vermin tracks led inland. Captain Nubbs Miggory had no doubt that the corsairs were waiting for them. But as Ruggan had stated it was better to meet the fight.

The group of warriors was met with no opposition until they came upon a wooden fort. From there arrows rained out and onto them, although none had hit their mark, the battle had started. Captain Axehound and some of his otters were in charge of breaking down the front gate. The vermin who had built the fort had not made it for defense prepossess, as the islands main defense was its secrecy and the vermin who lived with in. Two parties of seven hares each were to climb the side walls using ropes they had brought up with them from the Posy Gurdy. While the badger lady and the otters would come through the gates. The large otter warriors shouted their battle cry as they ran to the gate, blocking arrows, stones and spears with their large wooden shields. Ruggan was the first to hit his axe into the gate. And in a short time the doors were match sticks with the help of one of his kin.

Miggory led the west wall attack while Algernon Scutram’s group climbed the east wall. Captain Nubbs sent a stoat flying off the battlement with a blow of his right paw.

The fighting was intense on both sides. Lady Violet, Miggory and Ruggan all fought their way to the main house in the center of the fort.  The three of them climbed the wooden steps as the rest of the hares and otters battled out side.

With a powerful blow Ruggan sent the door flying of it’s hinges, there inside stood half a score of large corsairs and behind them the banner of Salamandastron.

The fighting went on; Captain Miggory went down with arrows in his chest and heart. Violet skewered a sea rat and the ferret behind him. And the Axehound cleaved a fox through the middle.

An ermine came at the badger from behind and knocked her out with his weapon. A rat jumped on her back and put his dagger at her neck. The fighting stopped as the rat demanded the otter to drop his weapons or the stripe dog dies. Ruggan seeing that there was no other way dropped his axe. At once he was overwhelmed and both of them were bound with ropes.

Lieutenant Scutram and Lancejack Sage began to climb a rope that they had thrown up on the main building. They lifted them selves onto the roof and Lancejack smashed a large hole through the clay tiles. They leapt into the room and found them selves in the middle of seven foe beasts. The Sage yelled and slew a corsair with her lance, the two mighty Long Patrollers fought back to back as they reached the prisoners. While Lancejack held back the remaining vermin Scutram cut through the bonds of his friends and sprayed Violet with water from his canteen. The badger got up and lifted up a stoat and smashed him against another vermin killing both of them. Ruggan slew another and Lancejack battled the ermine who held the banner till the vermin’s back was to the wall. He cut her leg with his cutlass, but Sage gripped her lance in both paws and pushed the staff at the vermin’s neck, chocking him to death.

All was quiet as the fighting out side seemed to have come to an end as well.

In the middle of the room stood Lancejack Sage leaning against the Colours of Salamandastron, she had many wounds and was using the banner for Support.

“I’ve won my honor back,” she said. Her eyes closed with a proud smile on her face.

click the banner

Captain Tammo

Great story! I love how you really highlighted how the long patrol has each other's backs no matter what. A 3,000 word limit can be tough to work with sometimes if you're trying to be descriptive, but you handled it wonderfully (take a look at the PM I sent you).

Well done!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

Nice; hard to tell which one of you blokes will win, wot!
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Leatho Shellhound

click the banner

Feles

I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: CpnRake335 on April 27, 2014, 08:44:39 PM
wheres rake :-[

To be honest, I can't write highlander speech. And I thought it would be better to leave him out than me writing some thing that didn't sound authentic.

He's a great character though, and I under stand your disappointment.

click the banner