News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Mariel - Sue?

Started by Ungatt Trunn, February 11, 2014, 12:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Mariel was a Mary Sue?

Yes, definatly!
7 (25%)
Sort of...
15 (53.6%)
No, not at all!
2 (7.1%)
Neuteral on the subject.
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on February 12, 2014, 08:02:35 PM
Quote from: MeadowRabbit on February 12, 2014, 06:37:54 PM
I can't specifically reply as to how Mary Sue like Mariel was until I read the book again! :)
Well, a good example is how she survived being flung into an ocean with a large storm brewing at the time. That was just, like, unatrual. I don't think any creature could survive being flung into a heavily stormy sea.
Right. Several people in Redwall die for that reason so it isn't right that she survived.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Romsca

It's possible... highly unlikely though... and quite impossible that she would travel the whole way to Redwall Abbey, so I think Brian Jacques should have had her fall, wash up on a beach that's close by, have vermin capture her and take her near Redwall, where she escapes from the said vermin, and the rest of the story's the same

Starla1431

The Skarzs

(Completely not with this topic, but you know who was a Sue? Tintin.)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

She wasn't really. USE YOUR HEADS!!!! How many faults does the poor girl have?

Shadowed One

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on February 12, 2014, 08:02:35 PM
Quote from: MeadowRabbit on February 12, 2014, 06:37:54 PM
I can't specifically reply as to how Mary Sue like Mariel was until I read the book again! :)
Well, a good example is how she survived being flung into an ocean with a large storm brewing at the time. That was just, like, unatrual. I don't think any creature could survive being flung into a heavily stormy sea.
Hold on. If she did die, that would show she's not a Mary Sue, but then the book would be over before it even started. That is much worse.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Wylder Treejumper

I think she was a sue, definitely. But, being a Sue is not necessarily a horrible thing. Triss is a sue, but she is still one of my favorite characters. Sure, it makes plot suspense fall flat, but this is Brian Jacques we're talking about. If you want suspense, go read James Bond or something. It makes characterization focus more on the personality if they are a good author or it just is non-existent in bad ones, but Brian is a good author. The beauty of the tale is in the telling.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Russa Nodrey

She had some good things about her and some not so good things about her, so in my opinion she wasn't really a marysue.
Freddy

Dannflower Reguba

The only not-so-good thing about her was her horrendous attitude. But this issue is never addressed as a problem, or goes beyond showing that she's really annoying. She's a Sue because she can do everything at once, she doesn't need her companions as they're presented as next to worthless while she takes all the credit. She can out anything any beast if she so chooses.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Wylder Treejumper

Mariel's OK, but she would've been better if she stayed Storm...
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Russa Nodrey

^Yeah, Storm sounds better than Mariel.
Freddy