The End of Redwall

Started by SandyB, March 01, 2014, 03:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albrithr

I think that the Rogue Crew made a fitting end to the series- It encased almost all the ideals repeated throughout the books, such as peace, happiness and good food, It showed an advance in technology (there were a lot of crossbows), and it ended with the formation of new alliances- leaving the story open, and leaving the opportunity for future adventures.  Also, parts of it (such as the first scene in the cellars) were written in present tense- as if that is still the way things are.  In many ways, Redwall Abbey is the central character of the books, after all they're named after it, and so destroying it would be contrary to the nature of the series. 
However, Mr. Jacques surely had many other ideas for tales, and maybe we'll get to see them someday... I hope...

TW

I think Redwall Abbey would have stood the test of time. We have numerous old buildings and churches that are centuries old, so why couldn't Redwall make it? I really don't think Brian had any intention of modernizing the series as one of his original reasons for writing Redwall was that every book for kids now is about teenage angst and technology. The only way I could see the series ending would be in some way Martin's spirit finally being laid to rest. It would be an ending that tells the readers that an era is over. Yet it would also allow for more adventures to continue.
"In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. It's not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

Delthion

Because of all the vermin attacking eventually cannons would be invented, and the walls would be destroyed, which is their main defense.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

SilentSam

I think it would end by just having the characters have a (kind of) happily ever after. Or.. is it?? ;)
;D~~~~Silent~~~~Sam~~~~Squirrel~~~ ;D
HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D
Cicha sam jest najlepszym redwall znaków!

Søren

What would really be a cool twist for a final book was that Martin faked his own death. That would be so weird. But interesting. And the main characters have to put together the prices to find out why and how he did it. It would be like something that bline ever knew about Martin . Something climatic.

I'm retired from the forum

Delthion

But then Martin would have to be either a coward or a bad guy. Although it might be interesting to see that their guardian spirit was bad.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Søren

But what if Martin left to save Redwall from impending doom from a distant force? And died heroicly in the process without anyone knowing?

Delthion

Yes, but how could he have survived for so long.

Izeroth

Unless Martin is a wizard, there's no way he could have survived so long. The average lifespan of a mouse isn't incredibly long anyway, and even the oldest mouse is only something like a hundred seasons.

Talinn

If we're going strictly by probable historical development, it would have likely ended up similar to a lot of castles, e.g. with a small village growing around it, as woodlanders/goodbeasts tend to like order and enjoy building things in the series.  This village would eventually translate into a larger city with Redwall near its center, how large would likely depend on how close it was to a river or a sea for trade and transport. Eventually, it would have probably grown big enough for its defenders to repel pretty much all but the most large and sophisticated vermin attacks(I think the largest vermin hordes in the book capped at just over a thousand or so, and once Redwall reached this level of development you would likely need even more or even tens of thousands), barring a massive technological leap by vermin.

But I'm sure Jacques would have likely ended it on an open-ended note, I don't think he would have killed off the dream or imagination of Redwall definitively. It'd be interesting to see what his notes were, if anyone got around to publishing them.

Søren

Quote from: Delthion on November 13, 2014, 05:35:56 AM
Yes, but how could he have survived for so long.
I'm not saying Martin was alive for the whole series, but that they find out that what they knew about Martin wasn't too whole truth. And by they , I mean a random new character. They find out Martin didn't died the way they thought.
Just a random idea though.;)