News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Revolution at Arkswood.

Started by Norham Waterpaw, March 10, 2014, 01:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norham Waterpaw

Well, I've managed to make another wretched steam-punk based Fic. Like all the others, I'll try and finish this one.  ;D hope you enjoy the prologue!

Prologue:

It was late, and the skies were turning a deep hue of indigo. The moon was just beginning to peek over the horizon. Below it all, the forest of Arkswood was eerily silent, save for two voices.

Claire nudged Jim. "Do you think we'll make it before we're seen?" She whispered. The Crane nodded. "Aye, we'll make it, sure enough. I reckon the Crawlers won't come around for another 15 minutes or so." They continued walking at a swift pace. Jim stopped suddenly. "Duck!" He said in a harsh whisper.

Claire dove to the ground as a light swept over them. She crawled to where Jim was crouching. "What was that?" She asked, rather frightened.
Jim shook his head. "I don't know, a new breed, maybe?" Claire let out a small whimper. "As if they weren't bad enough, there's more."

They crawled down the road a ways, and flattened themselves whenever a light shone near them. Jim, the crane, felt rather awkward having to shuffle on the ground. He knew, however, that if he flew he would be found and executed. Claire, being a vole. Found it rather normal to be crawling. They crawled and flattened themselves all the way to the end of the forest path, and then they reached the plaza.

Arkswood was named for the city built adjacent to it. Arksburg, a thriving city, full of trade, commerce, and prosperity. Then they came. The machines. No one knows where they came from, or who built them. They came in like barbarians storming the castle.

Hundreds of soldiers and guards died in vain, until the governor signed a treaty with a machine, who appeared to be built for the job of ambassador.
The machines took over, and set strict rules. They did not speak, but they took the presses and began printing flyers and papers full of rules and regulations.

There were three main groups of machines. Political, these appeared to have some form of intelligence. Then there were slavers, these gathered up people and made them slaves, forcing them to work in factories. Lastly, there were the soldiers. They were a group unto themselves. They consisted mainly of a "breed" known as Crawlers. They were millipede like machines, which had large blades on the front.

Now, back to our rather unfortunately placed protagonists.

Jim had his eyes wide open. They were on open ground. They couldn't afford to be seen. Claire stifled a scream as something touched her leg. It was a Crawler, who had managed to make it up onto her back. It's gears clanked and a puff of steam hissed from it. The blades on its head began to spin ominously. She shrieked. "Jim! A Crawler!" Jim leaped up, and picked it up, and flinging it headfirst into the cobblestone road. Its head broke apart, and steam and hot water spewed from inside it as gears ground to a halt.

Jim and Claire were both standing now, breathing hard. They looked at one another and gave a small chuckle. All around them, the land was brighter by the moonlight. Suddenly a light fixed upon their backs. They turned to see a sight most unwanted.

Hey you! What? Expecting a great quote or some heart-warming poem? Too bad, my signature is just boring. Stop reading it. Stop it. Why are you still reading it?

Captain Tammo

Interesting idea: Redwall steampunk. I've seen a few people try it, and sometimes they catch on or don't. I'm curious to see how this one plays out! :)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Norham Waterpaw

Thanks! I think I should call this the prologue though, you'll see why in a bit... I'll write more tonight.
Hey you! What? Expecting a great quote or some heart-warming poem? Too bad, my signature is just boring. Stop reading it. Stop it. Why are you still reading it?

Norham Waterpaw

Chapter 1:

It had been a long time since Jim had done anything adventurous. After the loss of Claire, he wasn't sure what to do. He ran away from Arksburg, away from the machines, away from fear.

Jim had found a place far to the east of Arksburg, a small country village called Grimnen. There he settled, and there he is, still sitting there, wondering what to do next.

"Jim! Oi, Jim! Open up the door!" Yelled a rather shrill voice. Jim recognized it as the voice of Mayor Chiang. He opened the door, revealing the short, squat form of the dog. "May I come in?" Asked Chiang, in a rather concerned voice. They both sat down on a large, plush sofa. "Jim..." Chiang began. "Everyone in this neighborhood thinks you need help. They say you look sad all the time. Is this true, Jim? Are you sad?"

Jim looked at the ceiling for a while. He cleared his throat and began. "You, Chiang, of all people, should know that." He spoke like he had a lump in his throat. "You... Know why I came here. You know she was my friend..."

Chiang stopped him from going further. "Yes, I do. But why do these memories haunt you now? It's been 3 years, Jim."
Jim didn't answer. He just said. "Good afternoon Mayor. I really am tired. I need for you to leave."

Chiang looked indignant for a moment, then remembered it was he who had asked the question, and how harsh the question was. He got up, and left.

Jim sat in bed. He checked the clock; 11:34. He lay back down, thinking of Arksburg. It was all very vivid to him.

He and Claire stood side by side as a new breed of machine stood there, and looked them both in the eye. It was monstrous. It stood at least 15 feet taller than them. Its light had them both fixed where they stood. A single iron bolt shot out from it, and hit-

Jim shot awake. There was sweat gathered on the ends of his feathers, and stinging his eyes. He was panting, hard. He got out of bed, and put on his coat. He shouldered his pack, and left a note for the Mayor.

Chiang was out of bed early. He stretched his small body and put on his robe. He had a light breakfast of eggs on toast, and some quiche.
He cleaned up, and headed upstairs. This morning, he saw no smoke from Jim's chimney. He slipped on his suit, and walked across the cobblestone road to Jim's house.

He knocked on the door, only to find it unlocked. He stepped nervously inside. Inside, he found a note. It read:

Gone to Arksburg. Time to finish my nightmare.

~Jim.

Captain Tammo

Keep it up, you're staying strong!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior