News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Flandir's Field

Started by BlueRose, May 23, 2014, 11:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueRose

((Disclaimer: I own none of this... Sadly. I wrote it, yes, but the Redwall universe belongs to Brian Jacques, and the story is based off a poem by Lieutenant John McCrae, so therefore it also belongs to him. ))
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Flanders Field
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
~Lieutenant John McCrae

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flandir's Field

'Where am I?' is my first thought as I open my eyes to a beautiful blue sky, flecked with larks. Soft grass flourishes underneath me. The last thing I remember is being stabbed in the back, moments before everything went black. I sit up to see an ocean of small white crosses, separated by swathes of blooming poppies. It's an impressive sight, but for some reason, I feel like crying.

"Oh. Hello."

I turn and see a tall red squirrel, a female of indeterminate age, wearing a blood-red gown. She smiles and walks up to me, holding her paw out to help me up.

"It's been a while since I've had a guest. I suppose that since you're here, I'll have more fairly soon."

After introducing myself, I ask where I am. The squirrel gestures towards the crosses and poppies, in other words, all the area around the two of us.

"This is my home. I call it Flandir's Field. Some goodbeasts come here after dying in battle, before they head to Dark Forest."

I ask how long she has been in this field. Why didn't she go on to Dark Forest? I could see the gates in the distance, beckoning me. How strong they called! How I longed to go!

"I was the first one here, many seasons ago. I fell in love with this place. When it was just me, the poppies covered everything. It was beautiful. I couldn't leave, no matter how the gates called. It's a little strange here, the sun never rises or sets; in fact, I haven't ever actually seen the sun. It is very sad, to never feel the warmth of the sun. I have all but forgotten the feeling. The sky is always blue, however, and for that I am thankful. Tell me, please, about the last sunset you saw."

I describe the last sunset I saw, a massive glowing globe slipping into the far horizon as the clouds flushed with oranges and pinks. My voice trembles as I realize that I may never again see the flush of gold filling the sky before dark falls and the stars begin their nightly vigil. Still, I continue speaking about the hush that falls over the world as the light slowly seeps down and combines all colors into darkness in it's wake. As I finish, glittering tears threaten to soil the squirrel's gown.

"Thank you. Before you ask, I stay here and make friends with every other beast who comes. The first one to come after me stayed for a time, became my best friend, but the call of the gates was stronger to him than it was to me."

The look in her eyes stops me from inquiring further. I notice that the squirrel has another cross in her paws, and on it she is carving my name. When questioned, the squirrel guides me to the first cross in the first neat row.

"These crosses are each a memory. Every brave warrior who travels through this field leaves behind a memory, and I keep it. This field is a lonely place, so I treasure everything that is left here for me. When you leave, you will leave a memory too."

I realize, suddenly, that the trip to this cross brought me right to the Dark Forest's gates, and I can barely resist their temptation. Turning back to the squirrel, I find her gone, already halfway back to the opposite end of the field of crosses. Before heading into the Dark Forest, I look at the name lovingly inscribed on the cross.

'Flandir'

I find it heartbreaking to know that the squirrel had lived here for generation on generation, wandering alone amongst the poppies that stained her clothing. But I really can't stay. Part of me knows that I will never return, but I hope that someday, somehow, I will see her again, the lonely squirrel who loved and lost for eternity.
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Bitterly jittery, and not very glittery.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

BlueRose

That it is! (Although you'd already read it...)

I meant to put it up on Memorial Day, but I won't be able to get on much this weekend.
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Blazemane

Very well done! The visual details of the setting of the story and of the squirrel character are really effective; I feel like I can see what's going on. On that note, I find it very interesting that you don't give the reader a single clue about the appearance or species of the narrator. He or she has a personality, but in many ways, the narrator is just a pair of eyes to observe the story through. Was that deliberate?

BlueRose

It was deliberate, yes. I wrote Flandir's Field for Memorial Day, to honor those who lost their lives in battle. I hoped that the lack of information about the narrator would make the story more personal for those who have lost loved ones.

Blazemane

That's an awesome idea.

And I think there might be a meaning behind this squirrel character that I haven't latched on to yet. I'll need to keep thinking that through...

BlueRose

Well, kudos and brownie points to you if you can find a meaning!

I didn't mean for there to be a meaning, really. I just like squirrels.

Captain Tammo

Short, sweet, and beautifully constructed! Well done :)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

BlueRose

FloweringStar

That's really nice, Rosie! I can really see a lot of emotion in it. Who were you thinking of?
Sekai de ichiban ohimesama. ;)

BlueRose

Now you're just being mean, Hobbit. It isn't nice to bait people.

Cornflower MM

BlueRose

Cornflower MM

You're welcome! (I actually hardly ever read fanfics, so you're special)

BlueRose

Awww, thank you! I feel special! :)