News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Castle Floret: A Tale of Redwall

Started by DanielofRedwall, August 17, 2011, 09:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielofRedwall

I didn't get it in on time for the Arts contest, so I'll put it up!

Author's note:

Buck is named in honour of, guess who, Buck from The Call of the Wild by Jack London.
Just as Springald and Timballisto were named after catapults, so too is the main villain in this story, Ballista. I was originally going to go with Mangonel, but Ballista sounds more threatening.
Also, I'm terrible at innovating mole speech, which will be seen late on.
Scroll down a bit and you'll find where I've started it!
Received mostly negative reviews.

Captain Tammo

I look forward to the it  ;D I always liked castle floret. It was that kind of classic medieval castle everyone wanted to see.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

DanielofRedwall

Prologue:
Salamandastron, the great mountain fortress of the badger lords, stood strong and proud on the shoreline. Out a sea, a storm was brewing. It wasn't an ordinary storm. It was the biggest in memory. Salamandastron, although normally home to the badger lords and the Long Patrol hares, opened its doors to all good beasts living in its borders that needed a place to stay.
It was on such a night that two beasts washed up on the shore. They were sea otters, an otter babe and a large male otter who had survived long seasons. They were unconscious.
It was the first strong sea winds and the drizzling rain that woke the large otter. He got up to a crouch, hugging his babe close. Looking to the horizon, he saw only rough seas, but looking across the shore, he saw the mountain. That was where he needed to go. He knew he wouldn't survive much longer, but he needed to get his babe to a place where he would be looked after. He just hoped he'd get there before he slept the eternal sleep. Slowly, he got to his feet and started the journey.
It wasn't long before he reached the doors. Lifting his paw, he pounded on them, hoping he'd be noticed. He began to feel dizzy, and he knew he wouldn't live much longer. It was in the time between the knock and the time he noticed where he thought back on his life. The happy times in the north coast, and the time where it all went wrong: when the vermin attacked his clan. His wife had died in the attack, and he and the babe where the only ones left.
"Why, hello there, old chap, wot wot!"  A tall, lanky hare had answered, with a large badger standing behind him.
The otter managed to get out his last few words. "Webbtail... Attacked... Look after... Webbtail..."
Here, he collapsed and closed his eyes, never to open them again.
Chapter one
Mossflower country was beautiful in the sunset. The sky turned a crimson colour and the sun looked like a copper coin dropping under the weight of the clouds. The birds lazily sung their last songs of the day before sleep would overcome them. It was at such a magical time when the otter Webbtail and his trusty hare friend Buck Whopsburry Picklethorn arrived at Redwall Abbey.
The pair had been travelling for days through hard weather and rough terrain. They were absolutely driven to reaching the legendary Redwall Abbey. For it was here where Webbtail could find out the truth about his family.
For as long as he could remember, Webbtail was the only otter at Salamandastron. Lord Barrenstripe, the mountain fortress' badger lord, had never told him how he arrived. Barrenstripe was like a father to Webb, which made him feel all the more guilty when he left the mountain on this quest for truth. It was a dream that sent him on this quest, a dream where he was visited by a mouse in shining armour.
Webb pounded on the Abbey gates, hoping he would be noticed. Lord Barrenstripe had often talked about Redwall Abbey, the great creatures that inhabited it and the awe inspiring food the abbey was famous for. This was one of the only reasons Webb's friend Buck had wanted to come with him.
A sturdy hedgehog opened the gates, and nodded his head. "Good afternoon, how can I 'elp ye?" he asked.  
Webbtail stood forward and gave a deep bow to the beast. "Hello, my name is Webbtail, and this is my friend, Buck Whopsburry Picklethorn," He said.
"Buck for short, eh wot," added Buck.
"Aye. We were summoned here in a dream by a mouse. Do you have any idea who this mouse could be?" Asked Webbtail.
The hedgehog looked at him with a face full of admiration. "Me name is Arnold Shortspike. If ye been visited by Martin the Warrior, ye must be a grand ol' beast. I think you should come in."
Received mostly negative reviews.

Tiria Wildlough

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!! ;D ;D I can't wait to hear more.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Shinella

Incrediblousssss!!!!!!!!!!!! KEEP GOING!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Yesterday is history... Tomorrow is a mystery... Today is a gift... and that's why its called - The Present...

Gonff the Mousethief

I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.