News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

On the Subject of Violence in Video Games

Started by SandyB, July 19, 2014, 07:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on July 23, 2014, 08:26:11 PM
but the LEGO games are also great as is the Portal duology and Spyro and Sonic games? Count me in

Are you talking about the purple dragon Spyro? If so, then there's not really any violence in the two I have.

Dannflower Reguba

It's kind of funny, because I read a report that showed HIGHER amounts of emotion from gamer's than from non-gamer's when someone else was hurt. Basically, their exposure to the crimes and such-like in-game made them MORE sensitive than others when they happened in real life.

I play TF2, Tries: Ascend, Smite and I've played some smatterings of Halo, CoD, and Battlefied (I hate CoD and games like it BTW, so not much there)....... I can tell you that I'm quite sensitive when I see or hear about the different crimes or accidents that go on around town, or anywhere else. Stereotypes are only helpful when they're at least mostly correct (better if always correct), this is one that couldn't be farther from the truth.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Wylder Treejumper

Studies are in general, and compared to a neutral source...
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Gwen A. Mouse

Quote from: James Gryphon on July 23, 2014, 08:08:39 PM
I do think that as a general rule, games that include story modes should emphasize finding other solutions to problems besides killing every enemy in sight, especially if you're supposed to be the hero.

My dad plays a game called Red Dead Redemption. It's set in the Old West and one of the reasons that I really enjoy watching it (and will probably play it myself at some point) is because it has a really cool story line and does offer other solutions than just shooting everything. You can choose to go about your missions any way you want. One of the huge things in-game are "Honor Points" (or something to that effect) which is basically your reputation. So you can play the game as a "good guy" and do things like save the miller's daughter from the bandits (and gain Honor) or you can play as a "bad guy" and go shoot the miller's daughter instead. (Which would subtract Honor points and people would treat you like an outlaw.)
"You need to get yourself a better dictionary. When you do, look up genocide. You'll see a little picture of me there and the caption'll read 'over my dead body'!" -The Doctor

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Cornflower MM on July 24, 2014, 01:03:56 AM
but the LEGO games are also great as is the Portal duology and Spyro and Sonic games? Count me in

Are you talking about the purple dragon Spyro? If so, then there's not really any violence in the two I have.

I never said there was, I was pointing out that I have varied video game tastes. Out of curiosity, which two do you have? I have Spyro: A Hero's Tail and The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: SandyB on July 19, 2014, 07:37:10 PM
Even the sheer callousness of the NRA after Sandy Hook saying the only way to combat school shootings is to arm the teachers. Of course, that'll stop all the school shootings - put more guns IN American schools!
Callousness? I don't think so. Equipping good guys to deal with bad guys? What's so callous about that?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Rusvul

Defending against a problem, rather than trying to figure out why it's happening and stop it.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on July 24, 2014, 01:14:37 PM
Quote from: Cornflower MM on July 24, 2014, 01:03:56 AM

I never said there was, I was pointing out that I have varied video game tastes. Out of curiosity, which two do you have? I have Spyro: A Hero's Tail and The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning

Um....I've forgotten their names, since they're buried in the basement, but in one you have to collect eggs and the other fireflies. Maybe we should continue thus through PMs? That way we won't spam.

Wylder Treejumper

Defending against a problem is not a bad thing, you know. It's even smart. It may take time to find the problem and even longer to fix it, if it can be fixed. In the end, it may be a breach of personal freedoms to fix the problem, and in that case, defense is the only option.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Cornflower MM

Wylder Treejumper

-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on July 24, 2014, 03:48:03 PM
Defending against a problem, rather than trying to figure out why it's happening and stop it.

The day you find a way to "fix" school shootings, come talk to me. I'd like to nominate you for the Nobel Peace prize. Seriously, it's an active choice made by an individual, even viewing it as something to be fixed is somewhat wrong (we don't fix people, we help people). Having teachers go through the courses necessary for a concealed carry (or even an open carry, sometimes the fear of retaliation is enough to stop an issue before it arises) would be a great idea. 
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

James Gryphon

Mod: I think it's fair to warn y'all that I'm going to be watching this thread carefully from now on. School shootings, and the wider issue of gun control are a hard topic that tend to make people very upset very quickly. So far I don't think anyone has gone over the line, but if this goes from being a calm discussion to a harsh argument, the topic will be gone in a heartbeat.

When you post here, remember the rules of conduct:

Quote1.  Respect everyone's opinion. Everyone has the right to have their opinion. If you don't agree with someone, then it's okay to say what your opinion is as long as you respect theirs.

Quote7.  "Flaming" or "trolling" a member is strictly prohibited.  If this happens to you, ignore the message and report it to a staff member.

Stay cool.
« Subject to editing »

Rusvul

I posted with little knowledge of the topic. That may be easier said than done, I don't know. It was simply my impression of the situation.

Wylder Treejumper

-Thomas Paine

-George Washington