News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Did anyone else notice this?

Started by Deyna the Warrior, July 25, 2014, 11:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deyna the Warrior

I read Redwall a while ago, but the other day I was rereading it and something caught my eye. Is it just a coincidence that the ancient mouse Methuselah shares a name with the oldest tree in the world??
Warriors brave, who gave all you could give,
Offered your lives so that others would live,
No one can tell what my heart longed to say
When I had to leave here, and you had to stay.

-The Long Patrol, page 312

Jetthebinturong

The Methuselah Tree is named after the character from the Bible who was said to be the oldest human living (he was over 900 I believe)

Before you ask, no I'm not a Christian, I just find the Bible an interesting, if slightly confusing read
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Wylder Treejumper

Methuselah is considered the oldest human in recorded history, he was about 969 years old when he died.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

LordTBT

Quote from: Deyna the Warrior on July 25, 2014, 11:23:22 PM
I read Redwall a while ago, but the other day I was rereading it and something caught my eye. Is it just a coincidence that the ancient mouse Methuselah shares a name with the oldest tree in the world??

The Redwall character was named for the Bible character.

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on July 26, 2014, 12:01:17 AM
Methuselah is considered the oldest human in recorded history according to the Bible, he was about 969 years old when he died.

Fixed that. ;) You can learn more about Methuselah on the Wikipedia page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methuselah

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: LordTBT on July 26, 2014, 12:12:25 AM
Quote from: Deyna the Warrior on July 25, 2014, 11:23:22 PM

The Redwall character was named for the Bible character.

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on July 26, 2014, 12:01:17 AM
Methuselah is considered the oldest human in recorded history according to the Bible, he was about 969 years old when he died.

Fixed that. ;) You can learn more about Methuselah on the Wikipedia page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methuselah

?? The Bible is recorded history, what Wylder said is just fine.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

James Gryphon

Mod:I have a very strong feeling that this topic is headed towards becoming an argument over the veracity of the Bible. However one user may feel about that subject, other users may have different opinions regarding that. This is not the place for discussing those differing beliefs. I was inclined to lock this topic, but have decided to let it stay open for now, provided that people stay focused on discussing Redwall from here on out.
« Subject to editing »

Wylder Treejumper

The Bible is recorded history, it's just how much of it is accurate that...

Oh.

Ahem.  Redwall...

Anyways, I've always wondered how old Methuselah was. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't think he was older than Cregga by the end of her life, regardless.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

I'm figuring the Redwall equivalent of 95.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Lutra

Judging how old a mouse will be is complicated.  We consistently debate whether a season means "one year" or literally "one season".  If we look at a season meaning one year, Methuselah is probably aged for a mouse...maybe ten years.  If a season means a season, then maybe forty seasons--certainly longer than any other normal mouse.  95 seasons is bordering on the realm of improbability.  Methuselah was old, but he was no prophet or anything like that in the book. ;)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

JangoCoolguy

What, you've never heard of the term "around since old Methuselah" before?  :D

Bionerd314

has anyone noticed that almost all of the main villains in redwall die not in hand to hand combat but in a totaly unexpected way?
Mangiz "I wil not stand here and be insulted by this hedgepig!"
Ambrose Spike "Than stand somewhere else and I'll insult you there!"

The Guosim is EPIC!!
So is Timbalisto!!
And math, science, biology, shushi, chocolate, minecraft, moles, Charles Darwin, the Galapagos, and a whole lot of other

Deyna the Warrior

Warriors brave, who gave all you could give,
Offered your lives so that others would live,
No one can tell what my heart longed to say
When I had to leave here, and you had to stay.

-The Long Patrol, page 312

Captain Tammo

well Cregga was the only character (aside from Martin and that I can recall) that was alive in 3 books, Methuselah however was only living in one. So did one live longer than the other, or was one simply written about more? Personally with a name as ancient as Methuselah, I'm going to guess that it was him who lived the longest in the books.

As for the connection to the Methuselah tree, I never caught on to that but it's a great thing to note!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Bionerd314 on August 06, 2014, 11:11:37 PM
has anyone noticed that almost all of the main villains in redwall die not in hand to hand combat but in a totaly unexpected way?
I have truly noticed that several times. You would expect most to die in hand-to-hand combat. Swords and stuff. But instead they die in ways like: Having a bell fall on them; Having teeth sunk into their brain; pushed off a cliff; Falling in a well etc. I don't exactly mind these things they are just quite unexpected.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Wylder Treejumper

By my calculations, Cregga must be (If a season to a beast is equivalent to one year to us agewise) at least 300 seasons old!
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington