News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Wroodles

Started by Blaggut, September 09, 2014, 06:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiria Wildlough

Mandy laid her head in her arms, half-heartedly watching the raindrops slide down the pristine window of the classroom. It's the perfect day for a detention, she thought gloomily. Still, there were plenty of other things to do. She could have been studying for Miss Chamberlain's surprise re-test, or writing poetry in a cafe, or buying another poster.
'I hope you realize the gravity of what you have done, Amanda.' Mrs Whitterby's nasal tone cut through the solid silence. 'If word got out that you left the grounds after curfew, we would be forced to suspend you.'
Why don't you just go ahead, Mandy thought, too tired to be angry. Mrs Whitterby had the talent of making even the most passive people angry, and Mandy definitely wasn't passive. But it was hot and stuffy in the classroom, and she had not had more than two hours of sleep the night before.
Plink.
Something wet and cold landed on Mandy's nose. Mrs Whitterby looked up sharply from the paper she was grading.
Plink.
And again. The teacher looked up at the ceiling. Fat droplets of water were materializing around a crack, and presently another one fell.
'Good heavens,' Mrs Whitterby said darkly. 'I shall have to move my afternoon class.'

My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Jetthebinturong

The first sensation of which Verde was aware was the feeling of rain hitting the unprotected skin of his arms, he raised his head and looked around. He was lying on the cold ground of a field of dark grass, rain poured down around him in never-ending sheets and the air was thick with fog, he could barely see two meters ahead of him. The Nameless One got warily to his feet, one hand on the hilt of one of his swords. So this is the mind of the god of weapons and war? I was expecting something more... violent. A deep chuckle rang out from the darkness
"Oh Verde, to fight effectively, one must be at peace, a violent mind is counter-productive to that goal"
The Nameless One whipped his sword free of its sheathe, glancing around "Where are you?"
"Everywhere, you're inside my mind, remember?"
There was a roll of thunder. Seconds later, a flash of lightning illuminated the scene and Verde saw a blurred shape in the fog before him. He dashed forward and swung his sword down as hard as he possibly could. Vibrations rang through his hand as the sword clanged harmlessly off a tall standing stone. The Nameless One took a few cautious steps forward, around the stone. The fog receded, revealing a circle of arches and stones daubed with red runes "What the...?" he ran his palm across one of the runes, it burned with power beneath his hand. He continued on, heedless of the heavy rain that was soaking through his clothes. Before him, in the center of the circle, stood a tall stone marked with a single rune, an open eye, he could feel the raw power that emanated from it "What is this place?" there was another flash of lightning and he felt a presence behind him
"It was my home" he turned, Acar stood there, his stance loose "now it is little more than a memory"
"Your home?"
The giant stepped forward and ran his fingers over the rune "Aye, my home"
"It's not very homely"
"You would mock this place?" Acar chuckled "Oh little Green One, how much of your universe do you remember creating? This circle had stood in this place since the dawn of time, you put it here"
Verde hesitated "It feels... familiar"
"As well it should. These were the Speaking Stones, the pride of my people"
"Who were your people Acar?"
Acar's expression turned dark "Do you truly remember so little?"
"I have lived for billions of years, I can't even remember my own name"
"Immortality is just as much a curse as it is a blessing, I suppose you know that better than most"
"You never answered my question"
"Place your hand upon the stone, your question will answer itself"
The Nameless One stared hard at the giant, his face was unreadable. Verde raised his arm, his hand hovering over the rune, he glanced at Acar one last time and brought his hand down
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Jukka the Sling

^ When are ya gonna post...?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

:o Oh hell, I'll do it now

EDIT: Done

Jukka the Sling

Read it. Interesting. Kinda depressing and slightly creepy, which is what you were going for, I guess.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Delthion

As Onoirath strode onward through the rain; he remembered his family, who had been killed twenty years ago. He had been only a child at the time and helpless, his home had been plundered, his livelihood lost, and even his revenge had been taken from him. Old age had beaten him, the searat that had done all this had been just within his grasp, when he had fallen dead. There was no poison in his food, and he had been as strong as an ox, so no one could explain why he had died. Onoirath had then gone searching, searching for anything that could give him satisfaction, but so far it had taken him five years to look for it and he was still without happiness or any hope of happiness. Even Mother Nature mourned for him for it had rained every day of the anniversary of his parents death. He had journeyed far and wide, to Salamandastron, but the jolliness of the hares only proved to worsen his mood, even the feasts and ale of Redwall fell tasteless upon his tongue. He walked on neither noticing the rain as it fell, or the birds that flew overhead, he walked on, as he had been doing for decades.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jetthebinturong

Blaggut's been gone quite a while, I think we should ask someone to be a temporary judge until he returns

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Blaggut

*Dark Shadowy form enters* I am sitting in for Blaggut, as he has disappeared... He would choose Jet, for he hit the scene best. I have no idea where Blaggut has disappeared to. Perhaps there is evidence in The Cellars? Surely not...

I think he would want the new genre to be A Nice Cozy Scene, to offset the gloom and action of our previous challenges. Begin on 3. 1... 3!
~Just a soft space boi~

Delthion

As Ferrethon was sitting in front of the cracking fire, while outside it was snowing heavily. His hound was sitting on the rug, chin between his paws. Ferrethon went to the window to take one last gaze at the ever whitening trees, as the ever faithful dog the hound raised his head as he heard his master get up, he then put his nose between his paws and went back to sleep. He then went down to the hound and scratched his head gently: They had spent many years together, some good, some bad and this ancient hound had never ceased to be an encouragement. As the snow thickened on that cold December night, he sat down again, and the hound sprang up unto the couch and lay down across Ferrethon's lap. Yes, thought Ferrethon, this had been a good year. Then he lay back and went to sleep with the hound on his lap, and the snow whitening the land about.

Blaggut

After the cozy scene does anyone else wanna run this? I'll edit the first post accordingly when someone has won/lost or a new competition begins.
~Just a soft space boi~

Jetthebinturong

I would run it but I want to write for it so I can't

Blaggut

~Just a soft space boi~

Delthion

Someone needs to be the judge!

Blaggut

I'll still be judge but no one is posting Wroodles xD
~Just a soft space boi~