News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Writing a D&D campaign. Story ideas and city names appreciated.

Started by Rusvul, September 15, 2014, 07:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusvul

Hello! I'm writing a D&D campaign for a few IRL friends and I want to create my own setting. I have a map made for details of a specific part of my continent, and a little bit of lore. I'll create a big overarching story that my players can influence and change, but in order to make the world feel legitimate and to not railroad my players, I need little mini jobs and such, things I could put in any town- 'Hey, kobolds are raiding us, can you go into their caves and kill them?' Except not as overused, cliche, and boring as that.

Here's my map:

Vallinar is the capital of the Vall kingdom, ruled by a council of mages, (all of whom are anonymous) the King, (Villiar IV) and a large group of nobles whose votes count for far more than the average population. As a result, the decisions made by the government are largely out of the hands of the people, though the populace do get a small say in laws being revoked/added and such.

Ulridan is the main port city of the Vall kingdom.

Yhellron Isle is an isle inhabited mostly by elves, Yvesnar is the capital of an elven kingdom (name undecided)

The Desdark Dank is a swamp said to have supernatural properties by some. It is rumored that a black dragon lives there, and in fact it is absolutely true that there is at least one black dragon.

(For context about dragons, in D&D any dragon with colored scales is evil and dragons with metallic scales are good. Gold, Silver, Brass, Bronze, Copper = Good. White, Black, Blue, Red, Green = Evil.)

So that's my world so far. I need city names and little side stories, as I mentioned. :)

Jetthebinturong

You need a general idea of what the city is like before you name it
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Wylder Treejumper

Not necessarily- you can reverse engineer and name a city then base its character off of its name.

Are there any other kingdoms? A setting with just two seems a little, well, small... And, large kingdoms did not really exist in the Medieval Time period. 
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Rusvul

Doesn't work nearly as well when I have ~47 towns on this part of the continent, most of which are tiny inconsequential farming towns that will probably be ravaged by dragons.

And yes, there are other kingdoms, but I'm focusing on the first area my players will be able to explore first- Other bits of the map will be created afterwards, though before I host a game I'm going to have lore about places I haven't fully built yet.

Yhellron is only a small part of whichever elvish kingdom inhabits the island, by the way.

Blaggut

Ooooooohhhh, this looks cool!

I'm a fan of role play and I often create maps. Since I was like, 6.

Remember to make rivers and lakes. And they don't neccasarily need to be attached to each other.

Where the is landmass there are smaller islands.

AND PUT SOME TROLLS AND/OR GOBLINS IN IT!

Man I love old fashioned fantasy with its trolls and goblins...
~Just a soft space boi~

Rusvul

Trolls in D&D aren't common mobs to come up against, they heal rapidly and are in general a nuisance. My players will probably run across them at some point, but it'll be one or two, not a tribe of fifteen million. Goblins are a different story, they're the numerous but weeeeeaaaak mobs that try to whack you with spears and generally miss with crossbows. Kobolds are more often used, though, because they're smarter and more magically apt. Goblins try to shoot you with crossbows, Kobolds rig elaborate magical traps to seal the door with a Hold Portal spell, level crude ballistas at you from the walls, grease the floor, and then set the grease on fire.

Islands, rivers and lakes are things I definitely should have more of, maybe on the next map frame... Or maybe I'll revise this one, idk.

Wylder Treejumper

OOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRCCCCCCCCSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Rusvul

Orcs and ogres exist as well, big brutish things that tend to live on the edge of or completely outside of civilized society. I believe ogres get +4 STR, +2 CON, -2 INT, WIS, and  CHA... Basically, they're strong but dumb and ugly :P

Blaggut

~Just a soft space boi~

Spearfinn

What is D&D?I think u should  have dwarves who are generally grumpy but will help you sometimes and can make magical  weapons.
Redwallllllll!

Rusvul

Dungeons and Dragons is a tabletop fantasy roleplaying game. You play as one of several character classes and go around on quests and such, much like in any other RPG. What makes D&D different from, say, World of Warcraft?

1. WoW is based on D&D, and so is every other RPG
2. In D&D, you can do anything you want, if your Dungeon Master will let you. This includes stealing from shopkeepers, killing the Lord of Death or whatever, murdering the innkeeper, and stabbing your friend in the head.
3. D&D is centered around roleplaying, not grinding and questing. In fact, you can't grind- mobs DIE, rather than falling over and respawning. And so do you.

As for dwarves, there are dwarves in D&D, because it's based heavily off Tolkein's books and his world. Temperament of dwarves varies on their clan, place of residence, and family ties.

Cornflower MM

I'll get back to you - I come up with little story ideas frequently. Names, I'm not so good at.

Izeroth

I imagine there might be one or two really powerful empires that are always fighting, and some sort of faction that thrives on trade. Maybe some sort of group of thinkers and writers that preserves ancient culture could also be there.

Jetthebinturong

If you're having a place where there's a lot of magic and magic is the main focus of the city, a good thing to do is to combine the names of demons with geographical features/the type of settlement it is, for example, Belphehill, a combination of "Belphegor" and "hill" from my roleplay on freeyourselfroleplaying, the Bones Collective

If it's in a forest setting, you should translate words relating to nature into other languages, for example "Radix" which means root in Latin

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Tam and Martin

Interesting! Hope it goes well!

I can't offer you much advice seeing as I don't even know what D&D is  :P

Lookin' great though!

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000