News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

[CRAFT] Art in Metal

Started by The Skarzs, October 10, 2014, 04:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhera

Nice! How did you do it?

Luftwaffles

Cool job man. What are you going to do with that? (Sorry if the question is way too stupid, I know nothing about blacksmithing).
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

The Skarzs

. . . Okay, odd. It didn't show that I had any new replies until I clicked on this from "Who's Online". :P

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on June 22, 2015, 03:00:54 AM
Cool job man. What are you going to do with that? (Sorry if the question is way too stupid, I know nothing about blacksmithing).
What am I going to do with it? I don't know; first I'll show the little nuggets to my friends before I melt them down again so I can make more, but eventually I'm hoping to make a decent-sized ingot of the stuff. :P

Quote from: Mhera on June 22, 2015, 02:51:51 AM
Nice! How did you do it?
Well, I bought a crucible from Ebay to use, and I stuck it in my coal forge to heat it up. Then I got some copper melted. (One of the most interesting things to see, watching that stuff go from solid to liquid.) I think what I may do next time is let the copper cool a bit before adding the tin, because I may have burned up a bit when I threw it into the molten copper. (Copper and tin have a melting point ratio of about 4:1, meaning I can literally burn tin up into smoke when copper isn't halfway melted.) Thankfully the two can alloy themselves, so not all of it was lost.
Then I began adding some scrap bronze and brass into the mix before pouring it into a poor excuse for a form. Hopefully next time I'll be better prepared.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Luftwaffles

And then you can sell the ingot? Cool!
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

The Skarzs

No, I'll use it for projects. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Faiyloe

What would you use it for?
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

The Skarzs

I'd use some on knife guards, perhaps some on other little artistic things like leaves, but other than that I don't really know, partly because of my lack of experience with bronze and my continued path into artistic things.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Faiyloe

It's all cool. ;D I love embellishment.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Skarzs

Another knife here. :P

This one was a bribe for someone. I went to a shop that my brother goes to volunteering, and one of the owners said I could use their welding machine and scraps to make my gas forge. One of the other owners wouldn't leave me alone about not helping with the shop project (my brother says he was joking around), but I told him that I would make him a knife if he would get off my back. Three months later it's finally done. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Mhera

That looks great. What are the spots on the blade?

The Skarzs

Made it out of a useless piece of a farrier's rasp.

The other side has those file lines.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Mhera

Oh, cool. How did you make the blade from the rasp? Did you sand it down or something?

The Skarzs

No, see, I found a piece about six inches long that someone had already tried to forge, knocking down the teeth and flattening out one end like a spoon. Had to press that wide end down to make the tip, and just left the teeth as they were. The hammering took out most of the visible marks, and everything else came out with sanding. So I did sand it, as you said, but most of the work was by forging.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Faiyloe

Oh that is cool! I am sure people have asked you this before but I am lazy. How long does it take you to make one piece?