Early 2015 Fan Fiction Contest

Started by James Gryphon, January 09, 2015, 12:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

In November last year, I announced my intention to write up some stories covering "the fights that never were". By now, it's become evident that I'm probably not going to be able to sit down and do the entire project as I had hoped to. Rather than letting this idea completely disappear, I've decided the best thing to do would be to incorporate it into a forum contest, which will challenge your writing skills and hopefully create some interesting fight scenes.

The ground rules:
Each entrant should PM me stating their intention to enter the contest. I'll PM you with the scene I would like for you to cover, and any other notes (this might include plot decisions, such as who should win the fight). Your story should be no shorter than 1,500 words, and no longer than 5,000. Each entry will be graded in three categories: portrayal of the canon characters, development of the fight scene, and overall writing quality (grammar, spelling, word usage, etc.) Entries must be submitted to me via PM -- if you post it on the fan fiction forum while the contest is still underway, it will not be eligible for the contest. Entries will be accepted through Sunday, February 8; the winner will be announced Monday, February 9.
« Subject to editing »

James Gryphon

I felt it was time to remind everyone that the deadline for submissions is the end of tomorrow. If you haven't sent your submission in yet, it's time to start thinking about it, because there isn't much time left.
« Subject to editing »

James Gryphon

All right.

The contest deadline has come and gone; with it, there's good news and bad news.

The bad news is that there was only one entry. Considering that something like half a dozen people said that they intended to join, and had a month to write something, this is more than a little disappointing to me. I had high hopes for this contest and to see what would be written, and it's discouraging to see it turn out this way.

The good news is that the one entry, which wins by default, is worthy of its title. The Skarzs put together a very nice fight scene featuring the top villains from Mariel of Redwall. Now that the contest is over, he can post it up as soon as he would like; a link will be is provided here.

For this victory, The Skarzs will receive the right to use this new badge:

If you didn't get the chance to join this one, or joined and didn't submit anything, you should get a second chance. I'm thinking about running another fan fiction contest at a later date, perhaps in the summer, so keep your eyes open for that.
« Subject to editing »