How to make Redwall (the book) completely canon.

Started by Hickory, March 31, 2015, 02:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hickory

So, we all prety much regard Redwall as non-canon, because most of the animals don't appear in the other books. However, I have a plan to make it seem perfectly normal.

This is all my thinking, the only information taken from books willl be put in quotes.

The Redwall universe takes place on a large abandoned island. Humans left it several years ago, because of its sparse vegetation and active volcano. (remember, mice and humans are completely different. Mossflower Wood is like a big bush to us). At the time, Redwall animals were still non-intelligent and were just like norma animals. In their rush to leave, (the volcano was about to erupt) the humans left farm animals. These animals, however, rushed to a yet un-mapped part of the iisland, which doesn't appear on any Redwall map. Shortly thereafter, Salamandastron erupted and lave pools mrman through it, creating a honeycomb of tunnels. Animals in the region, nameyl hares, took shelter in the mountain. Around this time, a Stone Age timeline began. Animals got better at what they did, making metal tools, farming, making food from raw materials.... They became intelligent.

Loamhedge Abbey was built several years after the end of the Iron Age time, (for mice). According to the Redwall Wikia, Sylvaticus is the only known Abbess before Germaine. Sylvaticus ran the Abbey smoothly, despite its isolated location. Then the early events of Mossflower took place, the Loamhedge mice moved, and war came to Mossflower.

Why do I not mention the events of Lord Brocktree? Those things can be explained in more detail here. (oops. The link's not working.)

Quote from: Alder BowbeastThe world of Redwall is a vast one indeed, however, there is more there than meets the eye.  Allow me to introduce to you the Great War.  This war has been raging since before the books began in Lord Brocktree.  There are two sides to this war, the Wild Cat Kingdom in the North and the Badger Kingdom in the South.  The beginning of the end of the war actually occurs in Lord Brocktree.  Allow me to remind readers that all of this is purely speculative based on what I have read in the books.
King Mortspear was the last ruler of the Highland Kingdoms (aka the Northern Kingdom).  He sensed his son, Ungatt's, ambitions to rule.  Mortspear feared for his throne and life and convinced Ungatt that his destiny lay in capturing the mountain fortress of Salamadastron, one of the nothern-most strongholds of the Badger kingdom.  As we know from Lord Brocktree Ungatt failed to do this, dying in the attempt.  In his urge to push south, Mortspear sent his other son, Verdauga, to take an army and push south into Mossflower.  Thanks to the information provided in The Legend of Luke and Mossflowerwe know Verdauga was successful and held the area for his entire life.  Upon Vergauda's death Mortspear was more than likely dead leaving Verdauga as the sole heir to the empoir.  However, with the wildcat's death, along with Tsarmina's defeat at the hands of Martin the Highland Kingdom officially met its end.  This makes Squire Julian Gingivere from Redwall the last heir to the Northern Empire.
The breaking of the Northern Empire leads to the spread of vermin and the creation of other vermin kingdoms such as the pirate kingdom of Gabool or the wandering vermin hoard found in The Outcast of Redwall.  Cluny the Scourge's army is the last remnant of the once mighty empire of the North.  However, the next empire would spring from the South in the form of yet another cat kingdom, namely that of Malkarkis.  With the defeat of that fledgling empire the way was cleared for the mighty badger lords.  With the defeat of Malkarkis it was a simple matter to fight new growing kingdoms or the odd pirate.  However, no vermin kingdom could contend with the might of the badgers and their allies in Redwall.  Towards the end of the books the focus shifts from great wars to adventures, explorations of history, and the gathering of knowledge long forgotten.  By the end of the Redwall Series with The Rouge Crew the world is shifting into a renaissance period under the rule of the Badger Empire.

All credit for that goes to Alder.

Anyway, so Redwall runs smoothly, the books only highlighting certain adventures. Then we get to Redwall. Quite a few things are happening.

1.) Livestock from the afore-mentioned un-mapped area begin moving back down toward Mossflower.
2.) Cluny the Scourge arrives fom sea.
3.) Redwall, realizing how warlike it was gotton now, tries to embrace the healing Order it was meant to be.

So,  now for the results.

1.) Redwallers immediately test what they can do with livestock, and discover milking. However, the milk isn't to their liking.
Quote from: Redwall, pg. 129Methuselah took a sip of milk, pullled a wry face and reached for his October Ale.
They promptly returned to the use of greensap milk.
2.) The horde gathers and Cluny ravages the countryside. Most of the livestock flees to the un-mapped area or dies.
3.) Redwall eventually falls prey to cluny and his horde. Remember, the Abbot stopped the defenders from firing on the retreating horde.

Then Redwall continued as we know it. Alder's description fits most of the stuff I left out.

Well, I hope you all enjoy this writing and accept Redwall as canon! Constructive critisism is welcome.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Skyblade

That is very interesting!

It's fun to fill in the blanks that - for whatever reason - creators of things such as this left out. I have wondered what lies in other areas of Mossflower Country, and why it seems like the place doesn't have a government. Also, what makes vermin evil? Are they just born evil...or are they made evil? And what is the size comparison? And how did this world begin? And how will it end? WILL IT HAVE AN END?

Such things we can only think of ourselves, and take pleasure in whatever conclusions our imagination and/or pondering takes us.

#IBTheoryOfKnowledge

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Gonff the Mousethief

Very interesting Tibby! Never thought of that before. Seems completely different then from what I would have thought as a Mossflower backstory.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.