News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Axtel Sturnclaw

Started by Nightfire, September 15, 2011, 05:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Søren

Quote from: Nightfire on September 15, 2011, 05:20:10 PM
Okay, so out of all of the Redwall characters, Axtel Sturnclaw has always intrigued me the most. He is the first and only Warrior Mole to ever appear in the series, as well as the first and only mole who has ever been possessed of the Bloodwrath. Any thoughts or comments? I particularly loved his war hammer. Here he is, just so you know what he looks like:

Hehehe, that picture looks like you Skarz. ;)
And As Axtel was the awesomest mole in the history of moles.

I'm retired from the forum

The Skarzs

Awesomest more? ;D And LOL.

He's also one of the very few characters my brother really likes in the series.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Søren

Quote from: The Skarzs on November 20, 2014, 04:22:51 PM
Awesomest more? ;D And LOL.

He's also one of the very few characters my brother really likes in the series.
welcome to the land of AutoCorrect.

I'm retired from the forum

SilentSam

It's cool that he's a warrior.
;D~~~~Silent~~~~Sam~~~~Squirrel~~~ ;D
HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D
Cicha sam jest najlepszym redwall znaków!

Captain Tammo

The series never really had many warrior moles that were developed much. The most I can recall reading about is Dinny in Mossflower, but even then he wasn't as much a warrior as just an adventurer who used a weapon.

Axtel, in my opinion, is the closest we get to a main character that was a warrior mole. I wonder if Brian ever had plans to expand on this idea more in the future? Maybe he stayed away from it because some people couldn't understand the molespeech, and that would be a pretty big problem when you can't figure out what the main character is saying.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Dannflower Reguba

Brian developed species-specific characteristics, Moles are passive by nature. Axtel is the single most atypical mole in the series (even than the couple that aren't bothered, or like water rides), possibly even the largest step outside of the norm (I don't think so, but he IS a contender). I would have loved to see this idea used more, but it stands to reason that it wouldn't be commonplace given how unusual this behavior is. I also doubt that he would limit characters just because of the way they talk, but it certainly can't be ruled out.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

clunylooney

He's one of my favorite characters in the series and I'm not even done with The Sable Quean.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Captain Tammo on November 21, 2014, 07:45:14 PM
Axtel, in my opinion, is the closest we get to a main character that was a warrior mole. I wonder if Brian ever had plans to expand on this idea more in the future? Maybe he stayed away from it because some people couldn't understand the molespeech, and that would be a pretty big problem when you can't figure out what the main character is saying.
I think this is the biggest issue with moles as main characters, in fics and the main books.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

Molespeak is a lot harder to write than it is to read.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

Sebias of Redwall

Indeed. Though, there was one link that someone had given me that was super helpful. I think it was on the Redwall Survivor Forums.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

clunylooney

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on May 14, 2020, 07:49:36 PM
Indeed. Though, there was one link that someone had given me that was super helpful. I think it was on the Redwall Survivor Forums.
Wait, did you change your profile pic?
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Wylder Treejumper

Indeed he did.

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on May 14, 2020, 07:40:21 PM
Quote from: Captain Tammo on November 21, 2014, 07:45:14 PM
I think this is the biggest issue with moles as main characters, in fics and the main books.
Even if you know how molespeech sounds, and even if it is assumed that molespeech can be understood by the reading public, it is simply too difficult to write large amounts of dialogue in molespeech. It is not conducive to large volumes, which makes it almost impossible to write moles into the main character slot- not even because molespeech is necessarily to hard to understand, but because it is too labor-intensive to create.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.