News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Loamhedge

Started by Hickory, July 27, 2015, 03:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delthion

Quote from: IridescentFox on July 29, 2015, 01:59:30 PM
This was my re-introduction into Redwall after a 10 year absence and i was really disappointed. As I wrote elsewhere; the majority of characters were a bit too wholesome and one dimensional...a bit "wet" in slang.

This argument always sends me into a downward spiral. THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE THE GOOD GUYS!!! Of course they're going to be more wholesome! If they aren't then why are they the good guys? Rant over!

On a more pleasant note, welcome! Sorry about me flying off the handle, but...*See first sentence.* Anyway, I am usually much more jovial! ;D ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Izeroth

Quote from: Delthion on July 30, 2015, 01:08:34 AM
This was my re-introduction into Redwall after a 10 year absence and i was really disappointed. As I wrote elsewhere; the majority of characters were a bit too wholesome and one dimensional...a bit "wet" in slang.

This argument always sends me into a downward spiral. THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE THE GOOD GUYS!!! Of course they're going to be more wholesome! If they aren't then why are they the good guys?

It's entirely possible to make good guys without making them boring and perfect. (I'm not implying that all the Redwall good guys are boring by any means) Good guys should be good, of course, but they don't have to be flawless champions of goodness and morality. Everyone, even the best of us, has flaws. ...And that concludes my rant.

IridescentFox

Quote from: Izeroth on July 30, 2015, 04:31:05 AM
Quote from: Delthion on July 30, 2015, 01:08:34 AM

This argument always sends me into a downward spiral. THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE THE GOOD GUYS!!! Of course they're going to be more wholesome! If they aren't then why are they the good guys?

It's entirely possible to make good guys without making them boring and perfect. (I'm not implying that all the Redwall good guys are boring by any means) Good guys should be good, of course, but they don't have to be flawless champions of goodness and morality. Everyone, even the best of us, has flaws. ...And that concludes my rant.

Thanks Izeroth, well put. In contrast, I am now reading Rakkety Tam. Tam and Doogy are good guys with wit, banter, sass etc. Repeating myself from another post here but if people desired wholesome characters then The Simpsons would have been The Flanders and the WWE would be rebranded as World Hugging and Smiling Entertainment.

Delthion

That's why I don't like The Simpson's or WWE...and never heard of The Flanders. ;D ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

IridescentFox

Sorry, Ned Flanders and his family are The Simpson's next door neighbours.

Delthion

I've never seen any of the above, and don't want to...

Firehawke

I have to admit...Loamhedge is one of my favorite Redwall books  :)
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Leatho Shellhound

What sets Loamhedge apart for you, Firehawke?

I personally liked how Bragoon and Saro were older heros, with a friendship and courage that could be role modeled by the the younger protagonists.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Firehawke

One of the aspects that I really like is the fact that one of the characters is handicapped and is shown to be a strong, take charge character.  I actually included that aspect in one section of my Master's thesis (along with Simeon).  And I also liked seeing how they had to adapt to information that Redwallers discovered in Mattimeo
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

clunylooney

Quote from: Hickory on July 29, 2015, 06:16:24 PM
I would say "It is a children's book," but I am of the philosophy that giving children false pretenses is bad.

("Hey, Johnny, my mom read me this cool book and this animal can walk again, just because she thought she could! Let's see if our diabled friend Bob can too!)

Of course, that's exaggerating, but you get my point.
That is not what Jacques wanted to say, and also I don't think anyone with a right mind after reading a fantasy book, believe that they could actually walk without prosthetics or a crutch. Just saying. Martha isn't even actually disabled, it says in the book that there seemed to be no damage, or anything like that. She was in shock for a while, and then when the shock didn't pass away and she couldn't walk she believed herself to be crippled when she wasn't. That is how I always imagined it. I think Brian wanted to go for, "never give up" or, "if you believe then you can accomplish things" and that sort of stuff. 
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Dante8002

Loamhedge is my favourite book!
Yalahoo!