News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Any tips for a junior fanfic writer?

Started by Command Brasstock, August 29, 2015, 11:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Command Brasstock

I have always wanted to write my own fanfics for my beloved Redwall series. So, does anyone have any tips for writing them? Also, Hello Redwall Forums! First time here :)

The Skarzs

Welcome to the forums, Brasstock! If you're interested in reading any fanfics, I have written a few, if you want to read them.

What kind of tips do you want?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Command Brasstock

Quote from: The Skarzs on August 30, 2015, 02:05:59 AM
Welcome to the forums, Brasstock! If you're interested in reading any fanfics, I have written a few, if you want to read them.

What kind of tips do you want?
Anything helps. I just finished reading The Origins Of Simon, and it really got me inspired to make an account and try to write my own

The Skarzs

Hmm. . . Well, you've got to start with some plot. What do you want to happen in your story? A warlord? A bad "goodbeast"? Natural disaster? Develop some storyline, however vague. What time is it set in? What land does it take place in, Mossflower, the Northern Mountains, Southsward, some island?
  Next thing you should focus on is characters. Who do you want as the protagonist? What are they like? Have them develop throughout the story, changing for better or worse. Who or what is the antagonist? (Man vs man, man vs nature, man vs society, man vs self, etc.) One tip is to not make too many "main" characters; otherwise, the story will be cluttered with too many ideas when they can just be supporting characters or not in the story at all. Make sure they aren't a "Mary Sue" by making them act naturally, make mistakes, be confused, have emotion, etc. There are several places online where you can test if they are a Sue or not.

Not sure what other tips I can give at the moment. . . I'm pretty tired.

Also, if you want to introduce yourself to the other members in the Front Lawns, they will be happy to meet you.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Command Brasstock on August 30, 2015, 02:08:41 AM
Anything helps. I just finished reading The Origins Of Simon, and it really got me inspired to make an account and try to write my own

Welcome to the forum, Command Brasstock! My name is Captain Tammo. I'm the guy who wrote The Origins of Simon and its sequels. It's really exciting to see that it inspired you to start your own adventure!

What I would suggest is that you take your time when writing a story and have fun with it! I've read a lot of the stories on the forum and it's pretty easy to tell when an author does not fully enjoy what they've put together. It may take a while, but be patient with it and confident in yourself! New ideas will start to come in and replace or add to the old ones. Just keep writing and editing and soon you'll have something that you're really proud of!

If you're ever looking for someone to proof-read what you've got or someone to collaborate with, I can help! I'm always on the Fanfiction boards and have worked with a fair number of the people here, so just shoot me a private message or leave a post somewhere and I can help you out :)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Hickory

Personally, I'm a terrible writer, but I can attempt to give you a few tips.

Before I do so, I suggest checking out the History, Legends and Myths board, where several members have written long posts about weapondry (nod to Skarz) and other lore which will prove useful.

Not to be selfish, but I am writing a short series of threads titled "For Your Consideration" which essentially deals with everything I question and want to tell people about.

Anyway, before I go full-in on the advice, would you rather your own style of writing or would you like to write the same way Brian did? (FYI: Don't write like BJ did in Loamhedge. We have a rage topic for that.)
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Command Brasstock

Thanks for all the tips :) I do want to use my own style of writing, and i do have several stories in mind. I will be posting a demo for chapter 1 soon

Osu

Hi Brasstock, welcome to the forums!  It's always excellent to see a new face, especially the fanfiction-writing kind! 

Hmm, tips. *rubs chin*  I've never actually finished anything, so take my advice with a grain of salt -- in my experience, best thing to do is plan everything out ahead of time.  If you already know what's going to happen next you don't have to worry about writer's block; it also helps to flush out any plot holes or structural problems your story may have. 

Another good idea is to ask for feedback after your story has been published, here or anywhere.  It's amazing what others can pick out of your writing!

As far as writing for Redwall, there are a few resources directed at such in the fic Directory (see Accents).  Hope that helps!  Good luck!
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

cairn destop

Now that's a loaded question, so let me see if I can offer a few pointers.

1 --- Read one of your favorite books halfway through.  Your memory will most likely fill in the rest of the story.  Now ask yourself the best fan fiction question possible --- What if ...  Start writing your conclusion to the story based on that question.

As an example, in Mattimeo, what if the owl never appeared?  (He is the don't-blink character that lets down the rope ladder.)

2 --- Ask yourself what bothers you the most about the Redwall series.  For me it was the aging process and the lack of knowledge regarding vermin.  Write a story that "corrects" this error or oversight.

3 --- Is there a character that interest you?  Take him/her on an adventure.

Now I am going to say something quite vulgar, so cease reading if you're not prepared for writing stories.

Outline your idea.  Most writers have the opening and the ending well defined in their mind.  The outline will help you go from Point A to that conclusion at Point Z.

Let me advise you right now.  Your teachers lied about outlines.  School will teach you the outline is a firm and rigid structure, that is wrong.  Consider it flexible.  Don't want your character going overland?  Get them on a boat.  That is what I mean when I say flexible.

For story ideas, the best suggestion is to read other works.  Did you like the Star War movies?  Have one of your characters transported to that universe.  How about a Hunger Game in Redwall?  The idea is, don't limit yourself to the current story formula.  Find your special voice.

Most important of all, enjoy the experience.  Know that writing is easy.  The real work is editing.  I cannot tell you how many times the idea is clear within my mind, but transferring it to the computerized version of paper is difficult.  You'll find a willing reader your best aide.
Retirement:  What I earned from a lifetime of work.

Wylder Treejumper

My best advice: Use proper grammar and punctuation... Nothing throws off a reader more than being distracted from the story by bad form.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

cairn destop

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on September 26, 2015, 03:26:05 AM
My best advice: Use proper grammar and punctuation... Nothing throws off a reader more than being distracted from the story by bad form.

I am on another fan fiction site and it amazes me just how many people believe SPAG unimportant.  All of them will tell you readers want a good story and ignore SPAG.  Untrue.  Every time you hit an error, you yank your reader out of the reality you created to translate your writing.
Retirement:  What I earned from a lifetime of work.