News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Rhulain's rock

Started by Cornflower MM, June 29, 2015, 10:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

I've been re-reading High Rhulain, and I had thought: The rock that the Rhulain's ship was wrecked on is never mentioned again or before in the series (In my memory, at least.) Granted, only the tip of it can be seen, and only at low tide at that. But surely somebeast would have noticed it?

Thoughts?

Hickory

Obviously ever since the death of the first Queen and possibly before that, the rock was probably shrouded in mystery. With the tech and intelligence of the characters in Redwall, (which is relatiively primitive, with almost no science) the chance of somebeast saying, "It's just a rock" is pretty small. It can only bee seen from Salamandastron or from the actual sea, making it hard to see properly, and since it "vanishes" the highly superstitious animals, particularly vermin, would see it as a magical place that reappears and vanishes at will, unable to find, and, since it's connected to the tides, would appear to have a cosmic connection (beasts would say that it only appears when the moon is at a certain position).

Because of these circumstances
1. Hard to see/find
2. Even if vermin superstition about the rock was well supported, prejudiced Redwallers and hares would never believe them

Or maybe Jacques never would a good way to implement it.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.