News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Tournament Rules & Signup Thread

Started by James Gryphon, September 03, 2016, 02:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie Willowwater

I'm confused, so will this be a full on story that we work together with our 'opponent' to write?

Cornflower MM

Quote from: James Gryphon on September 05, 2016, 03:13:08 AM
Well, by "partner" I meant whoever you're scheduled to play "against"/with. So if I schedule you to face off against, say, Peony (if she signed up) for your first duel, she would be your dueling partner for that duel.

If she signed up? If she signed up?! IF SHE SIGNED UP?! Man, surely my RP history can't be that easy to forget. Peony.
I must say though, I'm surprised we're doing another dueling tourny so soon. Not that I'm complaining.

Quote from: Rosie Willowwater on September 05, 2016, 02:19:06 PM
I'm confused, so will this be a full on story that we work together with our 'opponent' to write?

I believe so. I'm sure James will shed some light on the subject for us.

Ashleg

So what's the reason for all of the characters being there?

LT Sandpaw

Will we be making different character sheets for each duel?

By the by Lieutenant Sandpaw isn't sitting this one out.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

James Gryphon

I didn't think these rules were so complicated. ;) I'll try my best to explain things.

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on September 05, 2016, 03:32:33 PM
Will we be making different character sheets for each duel?
Quote from: Ashleg on September 05, 2016, 03:15:27 PM
So what's the reason for all of the characters being there?
Each duel is its own thing, a separate story from the others. You work all the details, like the story setting/background, the location your characters will be fighting, and what characters you're using, out with your partner/opponent in your OOC thread.

Now, if you and an opponent want to continue some sort of story from one or both of your duels with other players, you can; that isn't the default state, though.

Quote from: Rosie Willowwater
Sort of, but the story revolves around the confrontation (which may, but doesn't necessarily have to be physical) between two characters. A good example of a duel thread (besides the not being finished part) is Wylder and Sandpaw's "The Hand of the Princess".
« Subject to editing »

Cornflower MM

James Gryphon

Since this is a major forum event, I'll probably give it until next Saturday or Sunday for signups to finish.

Once that's done, I'll pass out the schedule for the rest of the tournament on the Monday after that.
« Subject to editing »

LT Sandpaw

Can we start posting ideas, and discussions for different duels in the OOC boards or Tournament talk board?

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

James Gryphon

Yes, that's fine. Remember that if enough of y'all sign up later for divisions, you might not be able to play every other person, though.
« Subject to editing »

Fatch of Southsward

Quick question:

You mentioned that established characters and characters that appear in other role plays will be given special consideration.

What exactly do you mean by special consideration?

Should we make entirely new characters, or should we use old ones, if we want the best chance of a good result?
~ The best way to pay for a happy moment is to enjoy it ~

James Gryphon

Well, I'd probably give using an established character (from the books, fan works, and roleplays), and doing it well, a few more points in my decisions.

It shouldn't change the outcome if there's already a big difference between you and your opponents, but it would tip the scales in your favor if it's close.
« Subject to editing »

Ashleg

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Groddil on September 05, 2016, 06:15:58 AM
We Happy Few lends its cast of characters to you, Cap.

It's been a while since I read an entry in that story, so I'm in the process of re-reading it from beginning to the end of part I. But I think playing a character from that story would be really fun! Perhaps Malumgula and his obsession with fire would make for a fun opponent, or possibly Turnob... Give me another day or so. The story's great by the way! :)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

James Gryphon

Wanted to bump this thread to remind y'all that signups are expected to close soon. If you want to get in on this, now's the time. :)
« Subject to editing »

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior