News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Redwaller, June 02, 2013, 08:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on May 01, 2014, 04:55:12 AM
I'm not really a Skyrim fan, exactly (Too bloody, gory, and creepy for me- I don't do well with a lot of that.)
You think Skyrim is bloody and gory?

There are many, many games far worse than Skyrim in that sense.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

psybox

... And he doesn't play any of them.  having relatively less of something doesn't mean it's not there.

Rusvul

Yes. Yes, I know there are. Not saying anything on the scale of blood and gore that exists- I'm saying it's a bit much for ME. I really don't do well with creepy stuff or bloody violence.

Quote from: psybox on May 01, 2014, 06:54:41 PM
... And he doesn't play any of them.  having relatively less of something doesn't mean it's not there.
...Exactly.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Dawnwing

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on May 01, 2014, 04:55:12 AM
I'm not really a Skyrim fan, exactly (Too bloody, gory, and creepy for me- I don't do well with a lot of that.) but a podcast I listen to has had some negative things to say about ESO- Basically, their sentiment was that it was almost really really good, but somewhere along the way reality messed with the dev's grand ideas. Idk. Just saying what I've heard :P

Elder Scrolls V is a really cool game- I really think the concept is amazing, and from all I've seen it works pretty well. They seem to be designed around immersion- Which is quite cool.

Yeah, the games are heavily immersive, and I love the freedom you get and the detail in the world and its lore.  Ever since I got hooked on Skyrim I knew it would totally change the way I look at games. 

ESO is really really good.  Here's how I described it on another forum:
Quote from: DawnwingI am greatly enjoying ESO.  It's a good blend of Elder Scrolls and MMO; I'd say it's more "Elder Scrolls with other people" than "MMO that happens to be Elder Scrolls".  The quests are very comparable to a singleplayer ES game - they're very story-driven - and every character has its own lines of dialogue, which isn't usual for an MMO.  The controls, I described in an earlier post on this thread, are a mix of ES and MMO as well.  The class system is kinda interesting and the people who complain loudest about it tend to be those who only played Skyrim which didn't have a class system. The character creation is fantastic; one of the best parts.  And it's a lot of fun seeing all these parts of Tamriel that we haven't seen before.

As far as playing with other people, having all the other players in the world makes it feel more alive. Occasionally immersion-breaking, yes, when you see 30 people gathered around the NPC at the bank, or they're hopping up and down like crazy, but overall the good outweighs the bad there.  It's a *lot* of fun to quest with friends.  A few friends and I from the site I moderate have grouped up a few times, and we plan to hold  roleplay nights occasionally (and have RP'd a little bit while questing: one plays the lute while the others dance, or we'll make in-character comments to each other with /say [which makes it so that only other players standing near yours can hear it]).  PvP is a lot of fun too, whether you're actively taking part in the battles, or sneaking around enemy territory trying to remain unseen while completing NPC quests.  I've had some great moments there in both circumstances.  One night, for example, I arrived at a keep shortly before another army attacked, and the ensuing battle took a good two hours: we defended it with trebuchets, pouring hot oil down the walls at them (that was fun; my "players killed" count kept ticking upward), and people fighting on foot, and we chased them off twice before the keep finally fell to them.

And the music in the games is fantastic too.  The ESO composer is not the same as the composer for the main-series games, but the music in it is still great.  For example, my possible favorite of ESO's soundtrack:

Edraithel

Do you join the imperials or stormcloaks? Personally I wouldn't join either if it wasn't required for the questline because I just can't get behind either cause. Usually I choose the stormcloaks though when it comes to making a decision. I feel both sides would benefit from thinking more about what the war is doing to the people.
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

Dawnwing

I merged your new topic into this thread 'cause it fit here. ;) 

I'm more for the Imperials.  They hate the Thalmor just as much as the Stormcloaks do, but they know that an independent Skyrim is just going to mean a weaker defense against the Thalmor.  The rebellion altogether is just weakening the Empire and Tamriel and making everyone more vulnerable to them.   Plus the Stormcloaks, Ulfric in particular, are racist, while the Empire are not.

The Skarzs

I tend to go with the Imperials because the entire Stormcloak rebellion is rather violent (Hey, it started with him murdering his own freaking father). The way they want to rule will not benefit any country in the way a solid empire would.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rainshadow

The Imperials are against the Thalmor?  As far as I could tell, they were on the side of their side.  That's why I didn't join the Imperials: I hate the Thalmor.  They're cruel and they torture innocent Nords just because they're Nords.  Man, now I feel like I shoulda joined the Imperials...
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 12, 2014, 01:31:31 AM
I tend to go with the Imperials because the entire Stormcloak rebellion is rather violent (Hey, it started with him murdering his own freaking father). The way they want to rule will not benefit any country in the way a solid empire would.

Ulfric was not King Torygg's son, they were Jarls of different holds which meant they both held positions of power however Ulfric and Torygg were completely unrelated.

I go with Imperials because the Stormcloaks are really racist
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Dawnwing

Quote from: Rainshadow on May 12, 2014, 02:06:28 AM
  The Imperials are against the Thalmor?  As far as I could tell, they were on the side of their side.  That's why I didn't join the Imperials: I hate the Thalmor.  They're cruel and they torture innocent Nords just because they're Nords.  Man, now I feel like I shoulda joined the Imperials...
The Imperials are reluctantly working with the Thalmor.  The Imperial Legion was just about decimated after the Great War, unable to keep fighting, and coming to an agreement with them was essentially their only option to keep the Empire from being destroyed.... basically they're just trying to survive and regroup, but they're not happy about it and they don't want to support them.  This is pretty clear when you talk to Legate Rikke if you're part of the Imperial Legion.  It was actually Ulfric's fault that the Thalmor became so interested in Skyrim.  The Empire had basically ignored Talos worship in Skyrim after the agreement, as long as people weren't too loud and blatant about it.  Then Ulfric agreed to help retake the Reach from the Forsworn, provided that Markarth be allowed to worship Talos, and the Empire agreed at first... but then the Thalmor weren't happy because it broke that original agreement, so then the Empire had to renege on their promise to Ulfric. 

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 12, 2014, 01:31:31 AM
Jett's right; Torygg wasn't Ulfric's father.  Ulfric's father was the Jarl of Windhelm, and he inherited the position after his father's death.  Torygg was a young man in his 20s, roughly half of Ulfric's age (and people called Torygg the "boy king", 'cause that's a little younger than usual to become a king). But yeah, the rebellion did start with murder.

Rainshadow

Has anyone had the glitch that makes your character both a werewolf AND a vampire?  'Cause I turned on the game today to play for a bit, and all of a sudden it says that my character is a vampire!  I check my skills, and I can still go beast mode, but I also have vampiric capabilities.  Any idea how to fix this?  'Cause being a vampire is kinda annoying and I'd rather get it fixed.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

W0NWILL

Well, to cure normal Vampirism you go to Morthal and talk with this wizard guy. Just look around in the houses for a bit, you'll find him. He'll instruct you how cure it.

Rainshadow

Quote from: W0NWILL on June 16, 2014, 01:54:38 AM
Well, to cure normal Vampirism you go to Morthal and talk with this wizard guy. Just look around in the houses for a bit, you'll find him. He'll instruct you how cure it.

Okay, thanks!  And do you know if this is a common glitch?  Like, if a lot of people have gotten both lycanthropy and vampirism?

W0NWILL

No, sorry, I don't. I've never gotten it, at the very least.