News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delthion

NOBODY CARES! SORRY! ;D

(Favorite song currently.)
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

If every Onion vaz pokey, vid ze zaladz ever get o'er ze mountain?
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

The Skarzs

Siri say that question does not make sense.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

If zat iz vot ah zink it iz, *Zetz zaid abomination on fire*

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

The Skarzs

Siri is a hivemind. You cannot kill it.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

The Skarzs

In other words, it can never completely be killed.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

I'm kinda curious about Avatar: The Last Airbender, but I hear there's a lot of weird spiritual stuff and a lot of Christians don't like it.

...Do any of the Christians here have some insight to share? :P
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Maudie

I mean, yeah, it does have some wierd Asian spirit stuff going on, but it's no big deal. It doesn't go too in depth and they're not sacrilegious or anything. I've never considered it an issue. It's just part of the ATLA world.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Rusvul

Not a Christian, but:

It portrays the world with a somewhat animistic and/or pantheistic worldview; I don't recall any organized religion, but there's spirits and monks and the like. The whole show does have a somewhat 'spiritual' air to it, with a lot of reverence of (though not necessarily worship to) the natural world and the spirits.

As far as bending goes, you could definitely class it as magic. As it's portrayed, though, it doesn't feel like magic - it's more like a natural extension of martial arts (and the spirituality and philosophy that goes along with martial arts). Even though there is quite a lot in TLA that would be supernatural in real life, it's all portrayed as a natural part of the world.

You could say that The Last Airbender is Buddhist (and to a lesser extent, Hindu) the way that Lord of the Rings is Christian - not explicitly so, but the themes are there.

Do with that what you will.

Jetthebinturong

Yeah Avatar's themes and philosophy are largely inspired by Buddhism, and as Rus said, Hinduism to a much lesser extent. There doesn't appear to be any sort of organised religion, but there are many spirits who protect certain areas, and the people living in these areas offer them deference, though not worship, which is reminiscent of Shintoism.

But mostly it's just a fictional story, pulling elements of real religions in order to create its own world.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Jukka the Sling

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Russa Nodrey

I'm warming my cold toes on my charger adapter thingy. It's kind of working. ;D
Freddy

Rosie Willowwater

Russa Nodrey

Freddy