Martin I and Matthias, what's their relationship?

Started by sabretache5611, July 08, 2011, 06:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabretache5611

What is Matthias to Martin.  I never really got that.  Is Matthias supposed to be some sort of...reincarnation of Martin?  If Matthias was Martin's reincarnation that would be pretty funny since Matthias would be talking to himself in a way and that wouldn't make sense.  Then that brings up the question, is Matthias somehow Martin's descendant???  Which is almost impossible, since Rose died.  So what exactly is Matthias's and Martin's relationship?  Both are similar in personality and Matthias's grandson Martin II is almost indistinguishable from Martin I in appearance and mirrors his namesake in personality.

All suggestions are welcome since this topic is rather broad.
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Martin had no descendants, that was made clear in many instances throughout the series.
Matthias wasn't any more a reincarnation of Martin than any other Martin  called in any of the books to do a task. The theme of Redwall narrowly hinted differently, but reincarnation was still distinctly dispelled within that novel itself.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

sabretache5611

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 08, 2011, 06:49:50 PM
Martin had no descendants, that was made clear in many instances throughout the series.
Matthias wasn't any more a reincarnation of Martin than any other Martin  called in any of the books to do a task. The theme of Redwall narrowly hinted differently, but reincarnation was still distinctly dispelled within that novel itself.

Okay agreed on all points, then in your opinion how is Matthias related to Martin.  And then, how is Martin II related to Martin I.
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

Captain Tammo

Martin just chose Matthias, just like any other warrior. Martin had no direct descendants (that I know of), and mr. Jacques never used religion in his books, so there's no reincarnations.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Gerbilkit

Brian Jacques indulged in much more lore and mystery in his earlier books, particularly Redwall and Mossflower. Martin was a legend, and then Salamandastron was very much a legendary tale (sword forged from a star, mysterious hares, badger lord prophecies).  I think the idea was always supposed to be that Martin knew one day Cluny would come and attack the abbey and that Matthias would take up his sword and save the abbey.

Remember Redwall was the first book, and Brian Jacques at the time had no intention of writing a 20 book interlocking series.  ;)
"Sometimes a dagger can reach further than a sword, remember that stoat." - Luke the Warrior

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Quote from: Gerbilkit on July 08, 2011, 09:52:04 PM

Remember Redwall was the first book, and Brian Jacques at the time had no intention of writing a 20 book interlocking series.  ;)

And yes, you have somewhat of a fair point.

Tiria Wildlough

Maybe Matthias was a descendant of one of Martin's relatives...
I just don't know.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Redwall Musician

In the book Martin the warrior Luke told Martin to hide the sword where only a true warrior could find it. That is if Martin had no son or daughter.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Quote from: Redwall Musician on July 09, 2011, 06:14:21 AM
In the book Martin the warrior Luke told Martin to hide the sword where only a true warrior could find it. That is if Martin had no son or daughter.

Luke also said only if a child of his showed warrior spirit. Otherwise, he was to hide it as well.

Osu

As others have said, I think Martin's spirit just chose Matthias as he chose any other warrior, though Gerbilkit makes a good point.

Martin II was just named after Martin the Warrior, and he also happened to be a warrior himself. I think it was just implied that Martin of old chose him as abbey champion, that or he inherited the title and sword from Mattimeo the same way Mattimeo inherited it from Matthias.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

sabretache5611

Quote from: Osu on July 10, 2011, 01:35:25 AM
As others have said, I think Martin's spirit just chose Matthias as he chose any other warrior, though Gerbilkit makes a good point.

Martin II was just named after Martin the Warrior, and he also happened to be a warrior himself. I think it was just implied that Martin of old chose him as abbey champion, that or he inherited the title and sword from Mattimeo the same way Mattimeo inherited it from Matthias.
True...but the similarities in appearance between the Matthias line and Martin the Warrior are...creepy.

Osu

Appearance? You mean like they had similar faces, that sort of thing? c:
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

martins#1fan

Quote from: sabretache5611 on July 08, 2011, 06:47:29 PM
What is Matthias to Martin.  I never really got that.  Is Matthias supposed to be some sort of...reincarnation of Martin?  If Matthias was Martin's reincarnation that would be pretty funny since Matthias would be talking to himself in a way and that wouldn't make sense.  Then that brings up the question, is Matthias somehow Martin's descendant???  Which is almost impossible, since Rose died.  So what exactly is Matthias's and Martin's relationship?  Both are similar in personality and Matthias's grandson Martin II is almost indistinguishable from Martin I in appearance and mirrors his namesake in personality.

Reincarnation? It can't be, Martin would have had heirs, but Rose died remember?
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Redwall Musician

Quote from: martins#1fan on July 15, 2011, 03:57:23 PM
Quote from: sabretache5611 on July 08, 2011, 06:47:29 PM

Reincarnation? It can't be, Martin would have had heirs, but Rose died remember?

I'm pretty sure that reincarnation is false. But how would I know? Anyways in the book, Redwall it says Martin lives on through Matthias. At least that is what I read yesterday.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."