News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

What are you a die hard fan of?

Started by Søren, October 17, 2014, 06:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Søren

Quote from: Delthion on October 18, 2014, 01:58:24 AM
Being an original Battlestar Galactica fan, this fit rather well.
Hahahahahaha ;D

I'm retired from the forum

Wylder Treejumper

Hmm... Right now I don't have enough time to fan over anything... TOO MUCH SCHOOL!  :P

I am a lot more fun during the summer.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Cornflower MM

I'm a die hard fan of any rocks, period. Especially gemstones. In the rock form, not in the jewelry form.

Tam and Martin

I LOVE THEM TOO!!!!! Rocks are so cool!!!!!!!

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Jetthebinturong

As a die hard fan of Homestuck, I find it surprising that I am still alive after the newest update.

For Doctor Who fans, imagine a combination of The Parting of the Ways, Doomsday, The Sound of Drums, Journey's End, The End of Time, Cold Blood, The Pandorica Opens, The Big Bang, A Good Man Goes to War, The Angels Take Manhattan and Time of the Doctor then multiply it by 100, that's how it feels
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Tam and Martin on October 26, 2014, 11:55:33 PM

YAAAY, fellow rock fan! High five! *Holds up hand for high five*

The Skarzs

(You should see my rock collection. . .)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

CaptainRocktree

^^^^^ I have quite a few myself!!!! I love Marvel, Reading, Exploring in the woods, Camping, Mountain biking, Hiking, and more! I also love can..., anyone guess :D (Look at my profile pic!)
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Cornflower MM on October 27, 2014, 04:30:51 PM
Quote from: Tam and Martin on October 26, 2014, 11:55:33 PM

YAAAY, fellow rock fan! High five! *Holds up hand for high five*
*High Fives* WOOHOO! I wish we had better rocks around here though. SAND!!!!!!!! That's all we ahve.

Quote from: CaptainRocktree on October 27, 2014, 04:46:22 PM
^^^^^ I have quite a few myself!!!! I love Marvel, Reading, Exploring in the woods, Camping, Mountain biking, Hiking, and more! I also love can..., anyone guess :D (Look at my profile pic!)
DUCK DYNASTY!!!!!!  :D :D :D

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: James Gryphon on October 17, 2014, 01:56:04 PM
I'm an old Apple fan, from back before everyone jumped on the bandwagon and they became the 'in-thing'. I believe the G3 PowerPC processor was up to twice as fast as competitors such as the Pentium II, and that System 7 and Mac OS 8 were leaps and bounds above all competition. Microsoft, Intel and their coalition of evil are the ultimate enemies of all true Mac and Apple fans. Windows operating systems have been, are, and will never be anything but cheap, inferior, blue-screen-of-death-ridden ripoffs of the Mac OS. :)

I'm also a fan of the Dallas Stars; I used to follow them quite thoroughly, and although I'm not as active nowadays, I do like the direction the new GM is taking the team. Also, I can recite most of their Stanley Cup-winning roster from memory (a little to my chagrin, since there's so many more important things I ought to know).

Too bad everyone realized that Mac's are disorganized, over-priced, and overrated  :P.  Last I heard, Apple doesn't even have a support line, much less other companies that can offer support. You screw up your Mac, you're alone, you screw up your PC, everyone and their grandma's pet dog is there to assist. The programs aren't even formatted for easy use, my Web Coding teacher had to show us how to modify TextEdit just so we could write some basic html! Notepad doesn't take any fiddling around, and Mac's Word is a horrid nightmare. Safari? Please, give me IE before you give me Safari! And then Finder..... Why do they have an omnipotent program that makes finding things harder than it has to be? It's the same thing as windows explorer, but it's twice as annoying to use. Also, I can't believe you've got the gall to bring up the blue screen of death (which I haven't seen in years and years), when apple has the rotating beach ball of death! Which happens quite frequently! PC was always superior because it was the handy-man computer almost from the start. You can do literally everything on a PC, but Mac's have limits.

How can you even stand the cluttered layout?! Please explain this to me, everything's a giant mess (I have to use these blasted things at school all the time). I'm more familiar with computers than the average person, so user error is not the problem here as I can use one just fine. (I tried to run the Windows side of the duel boot computers in Web Coding, but the Mac computer's couldn't handle it)(If you're willing to respect the PC, then I'll leave Mac's alone, and this doesn't have to go any farther. I never wanted to come and bash someone else's preferences, but I'm going to defend PC's if other people are going to attack it) I'm not even sure what the rest of your post was on though, sounds like racing?

AAAAANYWAY, I'm getting a taste for anime myself, though this was started off of RWBY which has an almost anime type of animation. Obviously I really like Redwall, but I also like Guardians of Ga'Hoole, as well as Bryan Davis's (Davis'? [looking for possessive]) Dragons in our Midst - Children of the Bard, and Starlight series. Big time Hi-Rez fan as well, LONG LIVE SMITE AND TRIBES (okay, so Tribes is already pretty much dead, but I can reminisce can't I?!)

"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

The Skarzs

So speaketh a PC person. :P Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before; I've heard a similar story from a Mac guy about PCs.
I'm using a Mac at this moment, and I have no complaints. I was going to buy a Windows computer, but got this instead. I will concede that PCs are better for gaming and are much better known, but Macs have many things on them already that one would have to pay extra for if they had a PC.

In all, I just say to watch a little youtube video called "Mac vs PC" done by Keshen8.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

James Gryphon

Quote from: danflorreguba on October 27, 2014, 09:53:56 PM
Too bad everyone realized that Mac's are disorganized, over-priced, and overrated  :P.
I will grant that if you buy a computer straight from Apple that it's going to be expensive -- that's why we buy ours second-hand. The only one that I believe we ever bought when it was new was our Bondi Blue iMac -- my father wanted to get one soon so that he'd have it if Apple went out of business. (That's how 'overrated' they were back in the day. Either you loved them or you didn't know they even existed. Most of Apple's popularity, and almost all of its world-wide recognition, is because of the iPod and the Apple Music Store -- before that, they were lucky to get any kind of attention, good or bad.)

QuoteLast I heard, Apple doesn't even have a support line, much less other companies that can offer support.
If their website and advertising is anything to go by, that is simply incorrect. I can't vouch for the quality of their service (as I've said, we buy used, and anyway I've rarely had problems a search on the Internet couldn't tell me how to fix), but it is there.

QuoteThe programs aren't even formatted for easy use, my Web Coding teacher had to show us how to modify TextEdit just so we could write some basic html!
You have to be more specific here as to what your problems are/were. Firstly, it would make more sense to compare TextEdit with WordPad... anyway, you're implying here that you were physically incapable of typing in code until the app was tinkered with, and I have never experienced anything like that. You might have had trouble with the file format, but anything that can be remedied by selecting a different option in the "Save" dialog's menu, I do not think can be fairly described as "requiring modification".

QuoteNotepad doesn't take any fiddling around,
Probably because it doesn't have any options to fiddle with. ;)

Quoteand Mac's Word is a horrid nightmare.
Third-party program. If Microsoft chooses to make Word on the Macintosh worse than it is on Windows, that's their problem, and I don't see how you can give Apple blame for something another software vendor does. I use Google Sheets myself, so it's a moot point for me.

QuoteSafari? Please, give me IE before you give me Safari!
I have used both, as well as other browsers like Firefox and Google Chrome, and find Safari to be the best option for me (with the possible exception of Chrome). For what it's worth, IE is perhaps the most despised browser in the world today, and if you were to take a poll I doubt many people would share your belief.

QuoteAnd then Finder..... Why do they have an omnipotent program that makes finding things harder than it has to be? It's the same thing as windows explorer, but it's twice as annoying to use.
Saying that it is 'harder to find things' or 'twice as annoying to use', without statistics to back you up, is only an opinion. It may be true for you, but it isn't for me (I could say the same thing about Windows). What's likely is that you got used to Windows' way of doing things, and view anything that is different from that as inferior. (Not unlike Windows 7 users complaining about Windows 8.) ;)

There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, as long as you recognize that it is your opinion and is not objective fact. A thorough analysis of the operating systems' interfaces (not unlike what was done back in the Xerox PARC and early Apple days) would probably reveal a lot that's wrong with both of them.

QuoteAlso, I can't believe you've got the gall to bring up the blue screen of death (which I haven't seen in years and years), when apple has the rotating beach ball of death! Which happens quite frequently!
The time period that I was talking about is mid-to-late '90s, long before OS X and the latest, multi-colored incarnation of the beach ball came along, and when the BSOD was contemporary. While pre-OS X operating systems did have a spinning black-and-white beach ball, it wasn't recognized as the source of people's pain, just because there were worse things around the corner.
Almost all catastrophic errors and crashes resulted in something like this:

What was more likely to happen, when you got the odd interminable delay, (in which the beach ball may or may not spin) is that you would get sick of it, press the force-quit key combo, and get this:

Then, as many attempts to force quit would fail as succeed, so usually you would end up having to manually restart the computer anyway.

That might sound bad (and it was; OS X was a huge step up in stability), but Mac users could console themselves because Windows users were stuck with the BSOD.

QuotePC was always superior because it was the handy-man computer almost from the start. You can do literally everything on a PC, but Mac's have limits.
I guess you never watched old spots like this. ;) Anyway, when people think "handy-man", they think of a guy loaded down with specialty tools, spending a hour or so of manual labor to get the job done. That isn't exactly the kind of image you want to associate with your preferred computer.

As far as your second sentence goes, your wording here fails you. There are plenty of things that machines running Windows cannot do -- making toast, computing complex scientific equations at the speed of light, and running OS X software among them. Claiming that they have 'no limits' is simply hyperbole.

If what you actually mean is that Windows machines are more compatible (both with new and old) software, that's true, but most important software is released for both platforms today, and Windows grows less compatible with old software with every new release (out of self-defense as much as anything else). Mac users would say that we have 'quality, if not quantity'. :)

QuoteHow can you even stand the cluttered layout?! Please explain this to me, everything's a giant mess (I have to use these blasted things at school all the time). I'm more familiar with computers than the average person, so user error is not the problem here as I can use one just fine. (I tried to run the Windows side of the duel boot computers in Web Coding, but the Mac computer's couldn't handle it)
This is simply back to personal opinion. I have used Macintosh computers all of my life, running system 7, Mac OS 8 & 9, and OS X. My experience is that not only are any of these not 'a giant mess', but that Windows machines (from Windows 3.1 on up) are painfully difficult to use and navigate, at least if you want to do anything outside of the "Start" menu. I suspect that if you asked a hardcore Linux user, they would have little good to say about either Macintosh operating systems or Windows. An experienced software interface designer could point out flaws in all of them.

Also, you might be more familiar with using Windows computers, but that doesn't mean that you have all of the experience anybody needs to do anything. There are people who have used Macs as long or longer than you have used computers of any kind who could say that they have trouble getting things done in Windows. Competence at one does not automatically confer similar capability over the other.

Quote(If you're willing to respect the PC, then I'll leave Mac's alone, and this doesn't have to go any farther. I never wanted to come and bash someone else's preferences, but I'm going to defend PC's if other people are going to attack it)
My original post was a historical perspective, talking about pre-iPod Apple fandom. Macs don't even use PowerPC processors any more -- they use chips from the same manufacturer, Intel, that we used to despise in the 90s. It isn't about respecting or not respecting Windows, it's about paying homage to that time period of fandom.

QuoteI'm not even sure what the rest of your post was on though, sounds like racing?
I could say the same about the anime part of your post, that I'm "not even sure" what it's about.

The Stars are a NHL hockey team.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

James Gryphon

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 28, 2014, 12:20:12 AM
Well. . . That was detailed.
That's what you get when you confront a lengthy writer on something they admit to being a 'die-hard fan' of. :)
« Subject to editing »