[RECIPE] Flandor's Redwall Cookbook

Started by Flandor, November 14, 2011, 07:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flandor

Hey guys :) I thought I'd post up all my tweaks to Redwall Recipes, as well as any new ones I can come up with in my kitchen.

I'll start with my recipe for vegetable broth, which I imagine they'd use all the time in Redwall.  This uses only vegetables available in Mossflower country.

T = tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup

VEGETABLE BROTH

1 T olive oil
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T salt
1 sweet onion, diced
1 leek, green and white parts, cleaned and sliced
1 bulb fennel, white part thinly sliced, some greens sliced
2 parsnips, thinly sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
Any other scraps of kitchen vegetables (peels, stems, unused bits)
1 sprig fresh thyme
5 black peppercorns, whole
3 quarts fresh cool water (Important that its cool not room temperature)

Method:
1. Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or skillet over medium heat.  Cook the garlic and shallot for about five minutes until translucent.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and give it a stir.  Heat on medium/medium-high until it comes to a simmer (small, lazy bubbles). DO NOT BOIL. Spoon off and discard the oily residue from the top of the broth as it cooks every once in a awhile.
3. Simmer for about an hour and a half. Strain, keeping the broth and discarding the vegetables and spices. Serve hot or let cool and freeze.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Taggerung The Otter

For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

Flandor

OTTER'S SHRIMP 'N' HOTROOT SOUP (a la Flandor) (the recipe from the Redwall Cookbook with a few small tweaks; tastes best with homemade veggie broth)

1 T butter
1 large sweet onion, diced
1 large or 2 small leeks, white part only, cleaned and sliced
1/2 t cayenne pepper (or however much or little you like, a whole teaspoon makes a very fiery soup)
2 large white potatoes, or 3 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced
2 c. vegetable broth, homemade or store-bought (chicken gives better flavor but isn't lore-friendly)
Pinch of salt
Pinch of black pepper
2/3 c heavy cream (2% milk for a lighter soup)
8 oz fresh shrimp, cooked, tails removed, cut in halves crosswise
OR 8 oz fresh cod or a similar fish filet, cooked and cut into chunks

METHOD:
1. In a soup pot or dutch oven, melt butter over med-high heat, add leeks and onion and cook until soft but not brown.  Stir in cayenne pepper.
2. Add potatoes, broth, and salt and pepper.
3. Bring to a simmer (small, lazy bubbles), and cook for 35 min, stirring occasionally.
4. In a small saucepan, bring cream or milk to a simmer (med to med-high heat).
5. Add warm cream carefully to the hot soup.
6. Stir in cooked fish or shrimp.
7. Serve hot with good bread, and milk or stout beer to kill the flames :)
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Taggerung The Otter

For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Flandor

Well I tried Turnip 'n' Tater 'n' Beetroot pie v.1 last night and it didn't taste so great.  It was cooked fine the beets just did not taste good with potatoes and carrots and turnips.  I think I'll skip that one for now.

Taggerung The Otter

Lily

I am definitely going to try that shrimp an' hotroot soup! It sounds delicious.

DanielofRedwall

I don't think I'm brave enough to try shrimp and hotroot soup! I'll try some of the other stuff you post up, though. That vegetable broth seems nice...
Received mostly negative reviews.

Flandor

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on November 22, 2011, 10:57:35 AM
I don't think I'm brave enough to try shrimp and hotroot soup! I'll try some of the other stuff you post up, though. That vegetable broth seems nice...

Its good if you cook it again with cut up veggies and dumplings or pasta in it, though pasta isn't quite Redwall.

Next recipe up will be the Bloggflash Special (from Outcast of Redwall).

Lily

By the way, I tried this the other way. I had to substitute a few ingredients because my choice is limited here, but it turned out OK! I used dashi for stock because it's more readily available here, and I found this spicy pepper powder that I used. I had to use normal milk because there was only sweetened cream available.

So thanks for the recipe, it was delicious!

Flandor

Glad you enjoyed, Lily!

BLOGGFLASH SPECIAL (as eaten in Outcast of Redwall)

Pastry:

8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Cream together the cheese and butter with a fork or hand mixer.  Mix in the flour until it forms a dough (sometimes it helps to use your hands).  Put it in the fridge for an hour.

Filling:

1/2 lb. white mushrooms, diced
1 large leek, white part, diced
1/2 onion, diced
2 T butter
1 T flour
1/4 c. sour cream
Kosher salt
Pepper
Dry thyme

Melt the butter over med. high heat in a large frying pan.  Add all the veggies and saute about seven to ten minutes until tender.  Stir in sour cream, a big pinch of kosher salt, a few shakes of pepper, a few shakes of dry thyme, and the flour.  Remove from the heat and set aside.  Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Putting it all together:

Take the pastry out of the fridge.  It's easiest to tape a big sheet of parchment paper or wax paper to the countertop, flour will make the dough less flaky.  Roll out about a quarter of the dough, about 1/8 inch thick.  Use a drinking glass or round cookie cutter to cut out 4-5 inch cirlces of dough.  Put a teaspoon of filling on each dough circle.  Fold half the circle over the filling and pinch it closed to form a little pocket.  Take an egg and 2 teaspoons of water and mix them together in a small bowl.  Using a paper towel or basting brush, dab the egg wash over the tops of all the dough pockets (this will make the crust bake golden).

Put them on baking sheets, 12 to a sheet.  Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown.

I'm still working on a "gravy" to pour over them or dip them in.  To make these more "Redwall" esque, you can make the turnovers bigger and more meal-sized.  Enjoy!

redwallgurl

thanx guys i eamiled all of theese recipes to my mom and dad hope they will get the ingredients for me looking forward dor theese redwall delights
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Ciaran Galedeep

Quote from: Flandor on November 15, 2011, 07:38:48 PM
OTTER'S SHRIMP 'N' HOTROOT SOUP (a la Flandor) (the recipe from the Redwall Cookbook with a few small tweaks; tastes best with homemade veggie broth)

1 T butter
1 large sweet onion, diced
1 large or 2 small leeks, white part only, cleaned and sliced
1/2 t cayenne pepper (or however much or little you like, a whole teaspoon makes a very fiery soup)
2 large white potatoes, or 3 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced
2 c. vegetable broth, homemade or store-bought (chicken gives better flavor but isn't lore-friendly)
Pinch of salt
Pinch of black pepper
2/3 c heavy cream (2% milk for a lighter soup)
8 oz fresh shrimp, cooked, tails removed, cut in halves crosswise
OR 8 oz fresh cod or a similar fish filet, cooked and cut into chunks

METHOD:
1. In a soup pot or dutch oven, melt butter over med-high heat, add leeks and onion and cook until soft but not brown.  Stir in cayenne pepper.
2. Add potatoes, broth, and salt and pepper.
3. Bring to a simmer (small, lazy bubbles), and cook for 35 min, stirring occasionally.
4. In a small saucepan, bring cream or milk to a simmer (med to med-high heat).
5. Add warm cream carefully to the hot soup.
6. Stir in cooked fish or shrimp.
7. Serve hot with good bread, and milk or stout beer to kill the flames :)

have to try it! as my name suggest one of  my all time favorite characters is the otters!

Flandor

Coming by the end of the week (barring any culinary disasters): Deeper'n'ever Pie.  It did NOT turn out last time but I have a new plan of attack and it should taste quite good. 

Redwallfan7

Im gonna try out that soup recipe, it sounds delicious!
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers