News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Osu wrote a fanfic! (Sorta.)

Started by Osu, March 10, 2014, 11:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osu

Tam and Armel sittin' in a tree! K I S S I N G! H I J K L M N O P !
Prologue

From the personal journal of Melanda MacBurl. Assistant Recorder of Redwall Abbey in Mossflower country:

You will never guess what position I have been appointed today. Assistant Recorder! It's official. Just this morning Sister Screeve told Abbot Humble of her decision regarding training the next Recorder, and after speaking with both of us, he agreed it would be so: I am to be the assistant to the good Sister until such time as she retires and passes the duties of Recorder on to me. I'm rather young, but I do not think the responsibility will be mine very soon — Sister Screeve is quite spry for one of her seasons. I am so excited to receive this honor, which I have yearned for since I first learned to write my letters!

Before I start with my new recording duties tomorrow I have decided to get a little practice in. After all, there are many stories to tell of events in and around my Abbey home, and not all of them are recorded — there is simply too much of life to commit all events to parchment. What's more, many recorders record things in very little detail: for example, Sister Screeve was only able to summarize what we call the Seasons of the Savage in a few short pages, and later plans to write a proper volume on it, I understand. I am sure it will be wonderful to hear in its entirety.

I mention this because it was also during the Seasons of the Savage that my parents were united in marriage, an event that received only a minimum recognition in the official Abbey Archives. Being their child, naturally I find it to be a most noteworthy occasion — and to hear others speak, it was quite a fun celebration indeed. I have heard the story so many times that I know it from memory; and so I will relate that tale here.
[close]
Quite a while ago I was encouraged to write my own fanfiction and here's my attempt! I... I have no idea where to go from here. XD Any ideas?
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Norham Waterpaw

Er.... Talk about their Wedding Reception, I guess? I mean, describe the food, describe the people there, and maybe even throw in a plot or something, like something interrupts the wedding... I don't know.  ;D

I'm not a good writer. Just read "Revolution at Arkswood." That should be a big enough testament to that.  ;D
Hey you! What? Expecting a great quote or some heart-warming poem? Too bad, my signature is just boring. Stop reading it. Stop it. Why are you still reading it?

Captain Tammo

Laaaaame!
JKJKJKJKJKJKJKJKJKJK

You know, this is pretty good! I don't know why you say you can't write! You've got a nice setup here that you could take more places than we realize. You could tell the same story from a bunch of different viewpoints and how it changes from creature to creature, you could have something interrupt Melanda's writing and take the plot that way, you could have the wedding interrupted by a dibbuns' strike or have Tam be late for some unknown reason and show his viewpoint... Just pick a direction and go with it. And if that doesn't work, go back and change directions :)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Blazemane

*Excited*

I love the premise of Melanda's introduction: that this kind of story is worth telling, too.

For thinking about where to take the events leading up to/during/after the wedding, I've got two questions for the moment which might or might not suggest things to you:

1.) Do you have a general idea for the tone you want here? What feelings does Melanda want to capture because she knows those feelings make this story awesome? (and/or heart-warming, and/or fascinating, and/or funny, and/or tense and so on...)

2.) This isn't a way that you'd be required to think about the story in the slightest, but just in case... how might the marriage of Armel and Rakkety Tam be related thematically to the lives they've lived beforehand? What does their marriage fulfill for either of them (whether those things being fulfilled are ideas you imagine and invent about their lives, or things you might have picked up about either of them in the original book)?

UNKN0WN

Quote from: Osu on March 10, 2014, 11:03:52 PM
Tam and Armel sittin' in a tree! K I S S I N G! H I J K L M N O P !

...really?