News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

whos the best warrior in redwall good or bad

Started by rakkety tam, July 19, 2011, 04:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whos the best warrior in redwall good or bad

rakkety tam
7 (43.8%)
doogy plumm
1 (6.3%)
basil stagg hare
2 (12.5%)
martin the warrior
5 (31.3%)
mariel of redwall
0 (0%)
taggerung
8 (50%)
lonna bowstripe
0 (0%)
cregga rose eyes
3 (18.8%)
saro
1 (6.3%)
bragoon
1 (6.3%)
trisscar swordmaid
1 (6.3%)
gulo
1 (6.3%)
badredd
0 (0%)
raga bol
0 (0%)
cluny the scourge
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: August 13, 2011, 01:32:03 AM

Skalrag of Marshank

I have an atrotius memory. I had to relearn all the characters' names while watching Martin the Warrior. Except Rose and Martin.
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

rakkety tam

rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Gulo

Good
1. Boar the Fighter- The aforementioned quote proves this and how easily he defeated/taught martin.

2. Rawnblade- Wiped out an entire ship of searats which had I think a 100 of them. Perhaps this makes him better than Boar who succumbed to a ship of searats.

3. Cuthbert the hare from the High Rhulian who slew the Slothunog. And apart from that also killed a fair number of wildcats easily even when wounded by one or several I dont remember off the top of my head.

Villians:
1. Gulo the Savage  ;D Was a feared warrior who in turn feared no beast and he also basically won the fight against Raketty Tam had it not been for him jumping on him and then getting decapitated by the sheild laying in the dirt. Although I still dont get how a squirrel could throw a wolverine.

3. Wearat(s)- Defeated Matthias in single warrior only villian to actually fairly defeat a good warrior. 

2. Tsarmina- Basically mortally wounded Martin the Warrior who would have died was it not for the Abbess' healing skills. But unlike Gulo she was also badly wounded by Martin and she died from these wounds along with from drowing.

rakkety tam

hey guys i would like it if everyone wouldnt talk about high rhulian cause i'm just now reading it

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Gulo

Quote from: rakkety tams 1 fan on August 11, 2011, 07:56:20 PM
hey guys i would like it if everyone wouldnt talk about high rhulian cause i'm just now reading it

It does say spoiler alert so just don't read topics in which the high rhulian is being discussed in would be your best bet.

rakkety tam

ye i know that just u talked about a hare from high rhulain and i just would like people not to talk about in this topic plz

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Quote from: Gulo on August 11, 2011, 07:43:03 PM
1. Gulo the Savage  ;D Was a feared warrior who in turn feared no beast and he also basically won the fight against Raketty Tam had it not been for him jumping on him and then getting decapitated by the sheild laying in the dirt. Although I still dont get how a squirrel could throw a wolverine.

Rakkety Tam redirected his force when Gulo launched himself at the squirrel, thus just sailing overhead, so really he was not thrown. Because a squirrel couldn't do that, even if they've Bloodwrathed and unfathomably maddened in combat. There's just no physiological possibility in such an act.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

James Gryphon

I think a lot of this comes down to the fundamental problem of Redwall and its inconsistently-applied size scale.

In Redwall, Squire Julian, a marmalade cat, is portrayed as a massive giant compared to Matthias (which is accurate). With Captain Snow, they slaughter just about all of the surviving members of Cluny's horde, which is also basically accurate. However, Cluny, while a massive rat, is able to use his tail to drag around and constrict Sela, a mature red fox. Even if Cluny is like the Goliath of rats, and weighs say, ten pounds (which I think is very generous for a rat, even a giant one), that's still not enough size to give him this ability.

In Mossflower, though, the size difference between Martin and Tsarmina, while present, isn't nearly as extreme as Redwall implied it to be... yet Boar is still proportionately titanic and single-handedly does battle with an untold number of rats, which actually probably makes him larger, relative to the real scale, than a normal badger.

In Mattimeo, Slagar, a red fox, knocks out Matthias, a mouse. The size difference between these two should be huge, though, and for all the time it took, Slagar should've been able to easily kill him... however, the difference in the book is shown as being relatively slim, as we don't get the impression that Slagar is that much larger than Matthias, Nadaz, et al.

In Pearls of Lutra, size matters except for when it doesn't -- the seals are far more powerful than the vermin, which is accurate, but Martin II is portrayed as being about even with Ublaz, when in reality Mad Eyes' size and strength should be a huge advantage, not a minor one like it's implied to be in the book. It's mentioned at some point by Auma that a bloodwrathing Martin II has as much strength as a Badger Lord, and while that doesn't sound quite right by any scale, I'm not entirely sure that she wasn't being literally serious.

The only consistent rule to size in the series is that badgers are giants compared to everyone else, including creatures that aren't that much smaller than them in real-life, like otters. Another rule is villains don't profit from it unless they're fighting each other, but then that doesn't always count either (cases abound -- Plugg Firetail, a red fox, fighting the ferret Princess Pinkeyes, Ferahgo the Assassin effortlessly killing that wannabe fox assassin, etc.)

So Rakkety Tam throwing Gulo is entirely a possibility in the Redwall world, even though it would seem to make no sense.
« Subject to editing »

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I always personally considered all the creatures of the Redwall universe being, from a technical point of view, being essentially increased to the size of a human, with no humans inhabiting the land. That and them being given modification that most of the creatures then are much closer to be the same size as the rest around them, with the exception of larger creatures such badgers, wolverines, buzzards, seals, dolphins, storks ect.
Of course, applying such a view point is not closely compatiable with Redwall. As a general rule, the first book is quite different from the rest of the series in numerous ways, on being the way you described above.
And applying such a technical view is my own, but that's been my imagination's job when I read the series, I didn't picture things accurately- that didn't make sense in this universe I found and came to love.
As I'm sure is already obviously, Redwall isn't supposed to be applied to such a standard view of reality clash. I get the feeling at this point I might be failing to making sense, I hope I am understood properly.
But yes, the fundamental thing is the natural clash in size scale between the real world and Redwall.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Tiria Wildlough

I didn't get to vote, but I'd say either Martin or Boar.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

rakkety tam

hey just so u guys know i only did the beasts from the books ive read but i forgot som of them

Redwall Musician

I voted for Basil. He is a hare. Nothing more to say from this hare-lover.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Tiria Wildlough

Cregga, the Taggerung, and Boar the Fighter.
Fans of Martin: But what about Martin the Warrior?
Me: Yes, I know Martin was a skilled fighter, but Boar was a skilled fighter first.  :D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

rakkety tam

hes great and all but just i dont know this is off subject but i dont like the taggerung he never was realy in any real battles

Gonff

Quote from: rakkety tams 1 fan on August 14, 2011, 04:58:01 AM
hes great and all but just i dont know this is off subject but i dont like the taggerung he never was realy in any real battles

No, but he was a skilled tracker, and would do very well in one on one combat. He might do well in battles. He was just never in one, so we really don't know how he would do.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday