News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Random Rants

Started by Maudie, January 13, 2015, 06:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Søren

WHYISN'TANYONERPINGWHATISWRONGWASAMEMOSENTOUTTHATIDIDN'TGETORWHAT?

I'm retired from the forum

The Skarzs

I don't know; the RP board has kind of died out. :-[
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Søren

DIDITJUSTHAPPENORWHATIDON'TKNOWWHATTHEISSUEISHEREICOULD'VETAKENOVERTHEWORLDAND
BLOWNUPTHEABBEYORTHESHIPORTHEMEETINGORWHATEVERBYNOW!

Don't do that.

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Mask on January 28, 2015, 03:31:10 PM
Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on January 27, 2015, 10:29:35 PM
Quote from: Mask on January 16, 2015, 02:53:55 AM
What should I do with my brother? He's bossy and interfering, but he is so well, I'm not sure what to call it. Self righteous? Righteous? Well, he does what he does (namely, stop me from reading teen fiction, inspect every book I get from the library, and bug me when I'm doing unproductive things) for good reasons, like, he doesn't want me to make the "mistakes" he made, but it's not his job or his right or his business to do them. It's so annoying.
As an older brother, I sympathize. No, not you, him! My advice is this: listen to what he says, think about it, but also take it wih a grain of salt. After all, brotherly advice is usually pretty bland (even the good stuff!). And, rightous is not the worst word in the world I can think of for an older brother. At least he cares about you.

I know, but he acts like he's my dad. If my parents didn't want me reading those books, they wouldn't let me read them. I don't read the books they tell me not to read, yet he still acts like me's my father.

True- but the question is, have your parents read them? Many times parents do not realize the depth or content of something. If he has experience in them, it might be wiser to think about what he says. Does your brother know something you don't? Maybe. Are his standards higher than yours? They shouldn't be. Is he doing it because he is an older brother and he likes bossing his younger siblings around?
Absolutely. ;D

Plus, he's going to be a father one day. He's got to have someone to practice on... ;)
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Skyblade

Quote from: The Skarzs on January 28, 2015, 08:58:47 PM
I don't know; the RP board has kind of died out. :-[

The day Skarzs uses this emoji.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rusvul

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on January 28, 2015, 10:25:33 PM
What should I do with my brother? He's bossy and interfering, but he is so well, I'm not sure what to call it. Self righteous? Righteous? Well, he does what he does (namely, stop me from reading teen fiction, inspect every book I get from the library, and bug me when I'm doing unproductive things) for good reasons, like, he doesn't want me to make the "mistakes" he made, but it's not his job or his right or his business to do them. It's so annoying.
As an older brother, I sympathize. No, not you, him! My advice is this: listen to what he says, think about it, but also take it wih a grain of salt. After all, brotherly advice is usually pretty bland (even the good stuff!). And, rightous is not the worst word in the world I can think of for an older brother. At least he cares about you.

I know, but he acts like he's my dad. If my parents didn't want me reading those books, they wouldn't let me read them. I don't read the books they tell me not to read, yet he still acts like me's my father.

True- but the question is, have your parents read them? Many times parents do not realize the depth or content of something. If he has experience in them, it might be wiser to think about what he says. Does your brother know something you don't? Maybe. Are his standards higher than yours? They shouldn't be. Is he doing it because he is an older brother and he likes bossing his younger siblings around?
Absolutely. ;D

Plus, he's going to be a father one day. He's got to have someone to practice on... ;)
The whole idea of someone else thinking they have to make decisions for a 14-year-old concerning what they can and can't read is kind of off. It just seems kind of...  Unreasonable, assuming circumstances are relatively sane and Mask hasn't decided to read anything like, uh, I dunno, "Bloody gore-death destruction evil burning guide how to!"

Maudie

Absolutely. ;D

But my parents don't want me to be too sheltered. They won't let me read books that arouse feelings that shouldn't be there, but they don't want me to be in the dark about everything. I have to temper the more worldly things I read with mind-nurturing classics. I am now mature enough to decide most of what I shouldn't read. I've set standards for myself. But my brother is again't reading stuff just because the narrator might be sassy or cynical. I don't think that's really a bad thing.

But I feel like I might cross a line if I continue this debate.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Mask on January 29, 2015, 05:08:27 PM

Absolutely. ;D

But my parents don't want me to be too sheltered. They won't let me read books that arouse feelings that shouldn't be there, but they don't want me to be in the dark about everything. I have to temper the more worldly things I read with mind-nurturing classics. I am now mature enough to decide most of what I shouldn't read. I've set standards for myself. But my brother is again't reading stuff just because the narrator might be sassy or cynical. I don't think that's really a bad thing.

*Shrugs*

I don't know any specifics. I don't particularly care one way or another, but I felt I should offer my perspective as the older brother (And also, it's nice to get a younger siblings perspective). He may be overcontrolling or too protective, that's true. I have cousins like that.

But remember: older brothers are the most awesome people anywhere. It is just a fact of life.  ;D
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on January 29, 2015, 08:06:47 PM

Absolutely. ;D

*Shrugs*

I don't know any specifics. I don't particularly care one way or another, but I felt I should offer my perspective as the older brother (And also, it's nice to get a younger siblings perspective). He may be overcontrolling or too protective, that's true. I have cousins like that.

But remember: older brothers are the most awesome people anywhere. It is just a fact of life.  ;D

If the world would just accept this, the world would be a better place, but they don't, and that's the cause of all of the strife in the world. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Delthion on January 30, 2015, 01:08:31 AM
Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on January 29, 2015, 08:06:47 PM

Absolutely. ;D

*Shrugs*

If the world would just accept this, the world would be a better place, but they don't, and that's the cause of all of the strife in the world. ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm speaking as an older brother, challenge him to a duel to the deaf. Or, you could stand up to him and say that you aren't a baby anymore. Also, OLDER BROTHERS UNITE!
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Søren

Eh. I'm an older brother, but this whole things goes in the TL;DR section of my brain.

Maudie

Yeah, I have two older brother's and they're both awesome, just a little bossy because they're stronger than the rest of us. They're still cool.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3