News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

[CRAFT] Art in Metal

Started by The Skarzs, October 10, 2014, 04:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luftwaffles

Dude, that shop looks awesome! (not going to put the quotation marks there, that is really a good blacksmiths shop ;)).

Also, why do you say that the tongs are ugly? Maybe a little off, but that's it.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

The Skarzs

Quote from: Banya on April 25, 2015, 06:42:16 AM
Mindy is adorable.
Heh.

Quote from: Banya on April 25, 2015, 06:42:16 AM
Your forge looks like it's in the open.  Maybe you've already answered a question like this, but are you able to work in your forge year-round?
What you can't see is the canopy going overtop the whole thing, making a nice dry 10 x 10 square in which I can work. I've only had it up for a couple weeks, so whether or not I could do it year round has yet to be seen. ;)

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on April 25, 2015, 07:29:17 AM
Dude, that shop looks awesome! (not going to put the quotation marks there, that is really a good blacksmiths shop ;)).
I appreciate that you think so. I've seen more than a few shops, so I know mine isn't very good. However, the gravel on the ground is desirable (and not present in some shops) because it gives the feet more cushion than concrete. It is really surprising how much of a difference to your back the gravel does.

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on April 25, 2015, 07:29:17 AM
Also, why do you say that the tongs are ugly? Maybe a little off, but that's it.
I've seen some really beautiful tongs, made by professionals of course, so I know what I'm striving for. Part of it is that I didn't brush the scale off, so there is some unsightly gunk on the outside; another part is that I had forge-welded two different pieces on for the handles (not really well-seen), so it doesn't make the prettiest reigns. However, they work, so in that aspect they're perfect.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Luftwaffles

QuoteI appreciate that you think so. I've seen more than a few shops, so I know mine isn't very good. However, the gravel on the ground is desirable (and not present in some shops) because it gives the feet more cushion than concrete. It is really surprising how much of a difference to your back the gravel does.

I have been in quite a few myself, and I can tell you from experience that yours doesn't look anything less than any of them. I wouldn't have told you so if I didn't think it was true :P Also, yeah, none of them had gravel on the floor.

QuoteI've seen some really beautiful tongs, made by professionals of course, so I know what I'm striving for. Part of it is that I didn't brush the scale off, so there is some unsightly gunk on the outside; another part is that I had forge-welded two different pieces on for the handles (not really well-seen), so it doesn't make the prettiest reigns. However, they work, so in that aspect they're perfect.

I think that it is amazing that you are aiming for beauty as well as functionality. But if you aren't a 100% pleased with your work on them, can't you make a new pair? Also, you are a professional, just younger :)

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

The Skarzs

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on April 25, 2015, 05:03:14 PM
I have been in quite a few myself, and I can tell you from experience that yours doesn't look anything less than any of them. I wouldn't have tell you so if I didn't think it was true :P Also, yeah, none of them had gravel on the floor.
Oh? Cool! I love being in other people's shops.

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on April 25, 2015, 05:03:14 PM
I think that it is amazing that you are aiming for beauty as well as functionality. But if you aren't a 100% pleased with your work on them, can't you make a new pair? Also, you are a professional, just younger :)
That's what all smiths strive for. And yes, I can make another pair, but it all comes with practice, so I shall continue to make tongs, of different styles and uses, so hone my skills.
And I'm flattered that you think so. :)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Skarzs

Upload time! I've been working on quite a few other things, but I'll only be showing a few.

First off I'll allow you to take a peek at me. (I'm a size comparison.)

More bulging biceps. Anyhow, I picked up this piece of wood from the river bank, and, as one should always do, tried to break it. When it didn't break when hit against something, and bent when I applied pressure, I decided it would make an excellent walking stick. So I cleaned it up and applied the copper wire around it. It's rather nice.

Here is a hammer I made not long ago from a piece of a massive pry bar.

One side is rounded while the other is flat. The rounded face allows for the hammer to spread more metal more quickly.

Lastly we have my piece de resistance (for which I am being paid):

A recurved Bowie, with top and bottom guards and mmm. . . bloodwood handle. (Delicious.) That stuff is hard as snot, so I had to use a horseshoe rasp to scrape away at it.
Rasp
[close]

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rainshadow

Ooh, yeah, I've used that sort of rasp thingy on wooden boards while helping build the deck.  I don't like that tool.  Got way too close to scraping away at my own hands.  :P

Very nice!  The only criticism I have on the whole thing is WHY ARE YOU WEARING A MICHIGAN SHIRT YOU TRAITOR?!  (Says the girl whose sister regularly wears a University of Alabama shirt to the gym, causing the one Alabama guy to "ROLL TIDE!" her every time we walk in.  It's really embarrassing.  :P)

I like the staff, by the way.  Very cool.  Slightly elven, in my opinion.  Very cool.  And nice muscles.  ;D  Also, nice tiny car in the background of the first picture.  Is that your car?  ;D  :p
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

The Skarzs

Quote from: Rainshadow on June 06, 2015, 05:29:37 AM
  Ooh, yeah, I've used that sort of rasp thingy on wooden boards while helping build the deck.  I don't like that tool.  Got way too close to scraping away at my own hands.  :P
They're so very useful though.

Very nice!  The only criticism I have on the whole thing is WHY ARE YOU WEARING A MICHIGAN SHIRT YOU TRAITOR?!  (Says the girl whose sister regularly wears a University of Alabama shirt to the gym, causing the one Alabama guy to "ROLL TIDE!" her every time we walk in.  It's really embarrassing.  :P)
. . . I visited Michigan. I got a shirt.

I like the staff, by the way.  Very cool.  Slightly elven, in my opinion.  Very cool.  And nice muscles.  ;D  Also, nice tiny car in the background of the first picture.  Is that your car?  ;D  :p
  It is rather elven, isn't it? And thanks; I've been working out. ;D (Quite literally. :P) No, that is my four year old brother's. He knows how to drive, I don't.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Luftwaffles

Very neat pieces, man! I actually love the hammer, it looks so professional :)

And I'm very glad to know that you are getting paid for your work on the knife. Needless to say, it is a very impressive and nice piece of work (hey, I would pay you just to have one too... that's how much I like it ;D).

Faiyloe

I love the staff, and it's not just because you where in the picture too XD, The mettle work on the staff is really beautiful.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

The Skarzs

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on June 06, 2015, 06:31:04 PM
Very neat pieces, man! I actually love the hammer, it looks so professional :)
I don't know about professional, but it certainly works. :D

And I'm very glad to know that you are getting paid for your work on the knife. Needless to say, it is a very impressive and nice piece of work (hey, I would pay you just to have one too... that's how much I like it ;D).
That means a lot to hear; thanks. :)
I'm actually thinking of getting an account on Etsy (an online shop thing where you can sell stuff you've made).

Quote from: Faiyloe on June 06, 2015, 06:34:45 PM
I love the staff, and it's not just because you where in the picture too XD, The mettle work on the staff is really beautiful.
Why thank you. :D

Quoteit's not just because you where in the picture too
But why not? ;D
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Faiyloe

Because the staff was just that awesome.  ;D
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

Staff: @josephbellmaker
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: The Skarzs on June 06, 2015, 06:36:29 PM
That means a lot to hear; thanks. :)
I'm actually thinking of getting an account on Etsy (an online shop thing where you can sell stuff you've made).

You are more than welcome, my friend.

And I would totally encourage you to get an account there, you definitely have talent and having an income for such an awesome work can't hurt ;)!

The Skarzs

Made some bronze.

Keep in mind that these are in my palm, so it's only about 4 ounces. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.