News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

[CRAFT] Art in Metal

Started by The Skarzs, October 10, 2014, 04:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Well, on things like knives it can take anywhere from five to ten+ hours total.
  On artistic things like leaves, fire pokers, meat turners, or other things, they usually don't take more than an hour.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Lady Ashenwyte

That's a nice piece of work there. Have you ever tried making armour?
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

The Skarzs

Short answer: yes.
Quote from: The Skarzs on January 03, 2015, 08:32:00 PM
So. . . Here I can show you my extremely poor workmanship making armor.

I still want to make some armor in the future, mostly a helmet and chestplate/backplate, but I don't have the metal for it right now.

Also, here is a project I finally finished: a decorative knife.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Man, that knife handle is awesome!
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Cornflower MM

Ohhh, I'm in love with that knife handle. . . . . You did the braiding very well, Skar! It's very pretty.

(Although I'm becoming increasingly more nervous about you being over there with sharp knives. . .  . And flames. . . . )

The Skarzs

Thanks! My sister wants me to braid a metal tiara thing for her, so I'm kinda excited to do braiding again. :) (And you don't need to go all mother hen on me. . . :P Flames are fun, and I've been around knives for quite a while.)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Mhera

...could you make a flaming knife? ;D

That handle is very cool. Since it's decorative, did you put much thought into the blade shape or just let it turn out in any which way?

The Skarzs

. . . The latter. Unless I have an actual shape in mind, I usually just let the blade take its own shape, particularly noticeable in the rasp-knife. :P

And what exactly did you mean by flaming knife?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Mhera

Quote from: The Skarzs on July 17, 2015, 04:00:33 AM
. . . The latter. Unless I have an actual shape in mind, I usually just let the blade take its own shape, particularly noticeable in the rasp-knife. :P
Oh, okay. Neat :)

Quote from: The Skarzs on July 17, 2015, 04:00:33 AM
  And what exactly did you mean by flaming knife?
Good question...

The Skarzs

Well, actually, when I quench them in oil the oil sticks to them and they come up flaming, so that might count. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: The Skarzs on July 17, 2015, 03:54:37 AM
Thanks! My sister wants me to braid a metal tiara thing for her, so I'm kinda excited to do braiding again. :) (And you don't need to go all mother hen on me. . . :P Flames are fun, and I've been around knives for quite a while.)

But. . . .

The Skarzs

But what? I'll be fine. :P If anything you should be more worried about the grinder I use. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

*Horrified look* NO MORE FORGING FOR YOU, TROLL!

Luftwaffles

Dude, that knife is beautiful. Terrific job there, man (also, the armor was quite impressive too).
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Rusvul

Blacksmithing is no more dangerous than driving or... Anything else, really, as long as you're careful. Cars are really quite terrifying if you think about it, but because it's a risk we're used to, we regard it as 'safe.' And it is fairly safe- if you're cautious, the odds of you getting into a car crash are quite low. Same goes for blacksmithing.

Metaphors!!

The braided knife is interesting... It looks really good, but I can't imagine it would be comfortable to hold.