News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Mafia IV

Started by Jetthebinturong, October 18, 2015, 04:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Poll

Do not
5 (50%)
Vote
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

rachel25

I've never played this before but I'm really excited to. I guess I'll just have to pick it up as I go along.

Jetthebinturong

ROUND 1 - NIGHT.
The Ionas castle stood on a rocky crag overlooking the great north sea. It was built of a black stone shot through with lines of grey and white. The main keep was enclosed in a hexagonal wall with high guard towers at each corner. The keep itself was an enormous pentagonal shape, with a straight wall facing the main gate, two more straight walls branching back from that point and two more walls which tapered to a point at the back of the keep. A spired tower stood at each corner. It was a daunting structure, but The Order of the Black Sword had encountered worse.
The Order of the Black Sword were an assassin's guild which had stood as long as anyone could remember. They were willing to do anything, providing you had the coin to pay them. The Order had dispatched two of their best operatives to the Castle to deal with their target. The one they called Kuki boosted their compatriot, Suna, into the open window of the cat King Velf Ionas. The king lay in his bed, sleeping blissfully. Suna pulled Kuki up into the room with them went over to block the door. Kuki drew their black blade, and stepped softly towards the bed. Kuki thrust the sword through Velf's throat and with a gasping of breath, the king died. Kuki and Suna allowed themselves a private moment of victory, then slipped out of the window again, leaving the sword behind.

The next morning, Prince Jet arrived back at the Castle, having heard the news of his father's death. The Prince vowed revenge upon those who had killed his father. According to a reliable informant, on the night of King Velf's murder, only twelve inhabitants of the Castle had been unaccounted for. There were Gonff the mouse and Skyblade, the badger, Castle recorders. One of the mouse knights known as Soren. A travelling squirrel entertainer who'd been staying at the Castle called Sam. The leader of the court's dancers Cornflower, the squirrel. The hares Sagetip and Sandpaw. Eulalia the hawk. The foreign ambassador otter, Rachel. The otter captain Rocktree. The (mouse?) Perifaen. And the cat artist, Rainshadow. Clearly the killer had to be one of them.
Prince Jet called the group to the main hall. Without wasting time, he shouted, "My father was killed by one of you!" He allowed the words to sink in. "You are all to be held accountable for your absence. This section of the Castle will be sealed off from all of the others. Every day you will vote which among you goes to the afterlife. Choose carefully, because I've no doubt that The Order of the Black Sword are willing to kill you all to escape." With that he left, and the doors swung closed behind him. They were locked soon afterwards. "Your first victim will be today. Hurry up and decide."

ROUND 1 DAY HAS BEGUN.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Cornflower MM

Hmmm. . . . . . Tricky. Very nicely written story, by the way, Jet.

Well, the two assassins came through a window - could that mean they're squirrels? Or a cat. Cats climb. That's something to keep in mind. . .  . Or this part:

QuoteKuki and Suna allowed themselves a private moment of victory

Could that be a clue? Hmm.

And I notice that you pair Sand and Sage. Hmm. This could be argued that they are both hares - But Sam and I are squirrels - Entertainers both, no less - but we're not paired as Sand and Sage are. Hmm.

Søren

If we're pairing people by their roles in the story, then Gonff and Sky are the obvious choices, as they are both recorders. You could also pair Sam and Rachel, as neither are regularly at the castle. Rachel and Rock could both be paired as they're both otters.

Anyway, I think the clues are to be found in the story, not the list of players.
Which species could scale a wall like that? We know definitely a squirrel. A hawk can't really give anybody a "boost", they can give them a lift though. And a hawk wouldn't need a boost.
Badgers can't climb really, I dunno. A Eul/Sky match up would be a daunting Mafia pair, but they don't really fit the story.
The names of the assassins sound feminine, so maybe we're looking for two girls.

I'm retired from the forum

Jetthebinturong

I'm saying nothing. But I was about to point out to Corn that I'd also paired up Gonff and Sky yet neither were the same species. All we know about Kuki and Suna is that they climbed in through a window, it didn't say how they got there.

Cornflower MM

I wasn't pairing people up, I was just pointing out that it specifically says 'The hares Sagetip and Sandpaw.' I'd forgotten and Gonff and Sky. :P Whoops. But other than those two, everyone else has their own sentences. . . . And Sky and Gonff's is a bit more descriptive than just 'The hares.'

But those are good thoughts, though.

LT Sandpaw

Good story Jet, I can see a few possible "clues" But nothing that directly points to any one group. I would like to point out that the assassins are most likely new to the castle so Cornflower, Sky, and Gonff might not be mafia because they live at the castle they are recorders and dancers and such.

So I'm not saying its set in stone but since the assassins were "sent" to the castle and that they hadn't been living in the castle, which means those three might be less suspicious then the others.

What do you guys think?

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Cornflower MM

. . . . . . Very possible.

Hickory

Well, it's compatriot Suna, which narrows down at least one of the Mafia to a female.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Jetthebinturong

Søren

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on October 20, 2015, 08:07:11 PM
I'm saying nothing. But I was about to point out to Corn that I'd also paired up Gonff and Sky yet neither were the same species. All we know about Kuki and Suna is that they climbed in through a window, it didn't say how they got there.
Well, maybe the hawk aspect is back on the table.
Quote from: LT Sandpaw on October 20, 2015, 08:57:40 PM

Good story Jet, I can see a few possible "clues" But nothing that directly points to any one group. I would like to point out that the assassins are most likely new to the castle so Cornflower, Sky, and Gonff might not be mafia because they live at the castle they are recorders and dancers and such.

So I'm not saying its set in stone but since the assassins were "sent" to the castle and that they hadn't been living in the castle, which means those three might be less suspicious then the others.

What do you guys think?
That's a good point, it might be the foreigners, Sam and Rachel.

I'm retired from the forum

rachel25

Good story for a start, Jett.
Okay, so the killers knew exactly which room was the King's so that could suggest that they are resident and have been planning the murder for a while. So that could be Gnoff, Sky, Soren, Corn, I'm not sure who else is definitely a permanent resident. It doesn't appear to be a very high up window so it wouldn't necessarily have to be a squirrel. But neither of them could be very big because the first one is boosted up and the other pulled up. So probably not Sky as she's a badger. And a hawk wouldn't need help of either kind.

Hickory

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on October 20, 2015, 09:09:39 PM
...How?
Oh. I was being stupid as always and making compatriot masculine. IT'S SPANISH' FAULT!!!

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Gonff the Mousethief

Is there anyone on the forum that really likes cookies?

(I'll post my thoughts in a bit).
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Perifaen

If Eul were to do it how would she hold the sword? Just wondering.
"Somewhere there's someone who dreams of your smile and finds in your presence that life is worth while. So when you are lonely, remember it's true, somebody somewhere is thinking of you :)" I don't know who wrote this but I really like it.