Rules and Results for Dueling Roulette

Started by BrookSkimmer, December 02, 2013, 10:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrookSkimmer

RULES>>>>>>>>>>>>

Welcome one and all to the first dueling roulette at redwallabbey.com! I hope you all enjoy yourselves with this whether you be watching or participating! The following is a short compilation of rules for this including scoring process.

Refer to the basics for dueling as laid out in the welcome to the dueling board thread. Follow these rules and you will have a good chance of scoring well.

Scoring is based on my best evaluations of the posts made in the thread. Write substantial enough posts, use correct grammar and spelling, and build some kind of depth to your character and you will do well.

scoring is based on 1-5 scale overall. As such at the end of the allotted time for posting I will give you one score from 1-5. This is NOT based on your character winning or losing the duel. Make that part interesting.

Direct responses to this thread in the Dueling Roulette Commentary board.

~Current Results~

Round 1

The Shade>>>>>>>>>>4
HIAG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4
Dannfloreguba>>>>>>>3
Faiyloe>>>>>>>>>>>>2.5
Redwaller>>>>>>>>>>2.5
rachel25>>>>>>>>>>>2
HanNorwood>>>>>>>>2
Rainshadow>>>>>>>>2

Round 2

Osu>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>5.1
LeathoShellhound>>>>>5  
jukkatheSling>>>>>>>>4.5
jetthebinturrong>>>>>>4.5
Rainshadow>>>>>>>>>4
danflorreguba>>>>>>>>3.5
The Shade>>>>>>>>>>3.5
ShadefurNightblade>>>>2.5
Blaggut>>>>>>>>>>>>2
Ungatt Trunn>>>>>>>>2
TinyJackalope>>>>>>>>>1
Spearfinn>>>>>>>>>>>>NA
Gonff>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NA

BrookSkimmer

The Shade (Vultur) vs. HIAG (Karathel)>
I must say there was quite a bit of character development in here. Very good job to both of you. There were a few very short posts, but since they took you to the next phase of your duel I don't really see too much of a problem with them. I really enjoyed reading this duel!

The Shade>>>> (4)
I got a good feel for your character. It struck me as a little odd for him to perform such a bold move right at the get go. I was not picturing him to be that athletic. However, the results of the move showed him to be real enough.
Good use of the daggers. Having multiple weapons like this gives you lots to work with.
Great job! I took a little off for that first move but then added back on for the amount of development you managed to put in.

HIAG>>>>> (4)
This was just really well done. Yes you had a few very short posts but other ones more than made up for that. The development of the temple itself was really great. It was almost as if the temple was a character of its own. I loved how you moved things forward with having it start to collapse.
Your weapon choice was a little harder to work with. A big sword and only one weapon make it harder to keep the fighting moves interesting. There were not that many actual dueling posts made by you. I would have liked to have seen your character actually wielding the claymore a bit more.
Overall, very nice! Loved it!

BrookSkimmer

<HanNorwood (Thelan Anickak) vs Rainshadow(Thiess)>
My only wish is that there was more. I totally understand not having enough time to really get far though. I would have loved to see what happened here. The problem is that there's no dueling at all. I think there might have been eventually but it didn't actually get written. My advice would be to get weapons in action sooner if you don't think you'll have time to get far into the round.
On the plus side, the character development was lovely!

HanNorwood>>>>(2)
I really liked the direction you were taking this. Your posts however, were on the short side. Also, no dueling actually took place which leaves us at your current score.
I did enjoy reading this though. This character seems very interesting.

Rainshadow>>>(2)

This character is just great and has so much potential. You did a great job with the back story. It was a deeper story than I was thinking I would see in dueling rounds.
The problem here is the same as with HanNorwood's, no dueling actually took place. That's what your score is reflecting.

BrookSkimmer

<Faiyloe (Tarna) vs. Redwaller (Regdab Wahala)>

Faiyloe>>>>(2.5)
I really liked where you were taking this. I could see Tarna as you were writing. There was some character development here which was also nice.
Both of you were able to bring multiple characters into your post. That's not something I usually see in duels, but in this case it worked just fine.

I would have liked to see more actually dueling posts though. There was only one post for you that including dueling moves. This is what your score is reflecting. Your writing was very nice, I just need to see more dueling taking place.

Redwaller>>>>(2.5)
Oh, I love a good badger Lord type character. You wrote him just as a badger should be writing for this sort of thing. Powerful and wielding a claymore. His pronouncements and the fact that he was accompanied by those otters were really great. Also interesting that he is not from Salamandastron and accompanied by otters and not hares.

As with Faiyloe so with you. I need to see more actual dueling posts for your score to go higher. There was only one post of yours with the badger using his weapon. If you add in more use of weapons, this will get even better!

BrookSkimmer

Dannfloreguba vs. rachel25:

Dannfloreguba: (3)

Your character was decently formed. I got a good feel for him in the first few posts. I would have loved a little more character development but this being a duel perhaps too much development is not called for.

You chose stand by weaponry in the swords which I think worked well for this character. What I didn't enjoy was the section where you stated that a certain barrage of sword strikes was almost unbeatable. That makes your moves look a little Mary-Sue to me.

Over all, good posts. Not overly in depth but sufficient for the duel. I liked the character and I very much liked the twist at the end of the two characters leaving on good terms with each other.

rachel25: (2)

There just was not enough to these posts. They were very much on the short side and lacked detail. I'm not looking for a book here, but a little more length would be a good move. What does your character look like? How do they think? Background? Your posts are not bad, they just need more.
Your weapon choice in a double ended sword was a good choice. Posting with this sort of weapon can prove tricky but I think you did a good job!
I did enjoy the ending. It was good to see the two characters come together this way.  Very creative!

BrookSkimmer

Finally I have time to get the second round up!

Ungatt Trunn(Skystreak) vs. LeathoShellhound(Mattina)>>>>>>

Ungatt Trunn(Skystreak) (2)

Your first post was quite well done. You were able to describe what was going on, some back story, and a little about what your character looked like. Your other posts however, fell short. Not enough length, description, or detail. To give you a better score you would need to add all the things mentioned to your posts. You also have some spelling/grammar errors through out.  If you make all your posts like your first one, your score will improve dramatically.

LeathoShellhound(Mattina) (5)

Wow! Just wow. This was really well done. You painted such a good picture in each post. It looks like you put care into your writing and you made quite the believable character. I would have liked to have known what happened to her in the end. I really enjoyed this. I saw one little word mistake, but it was so small that it wasn't really an issue. Thanks for such a well written round!

BrookSkimmer

Rainshadow(Jas) vs. Shadefur Nightblade(Bloodfeather)

Rainshadow(Jas) (4)

This was a solid round for you. You let your character take quite a few hits but it worked in with the story overall. You could improve by adding some more detail into your posts and adding just a little more depth in character building. Overall, this was quite nice to read. Good work!

Shadefur Nightblade(Bloodfeather) (2.5)

Your writing is good overall, it just left me feeling like I was reading a bunch of action/response moves. If you want to increase your scores you need to bulk up your writing. Adding depth to your character such as a motivation beyond getting his next would help out. I admit it is a bit hard for me to write a bird for dueling rounds. Their structure in having wings and not paws, and not carrying weapons can be difficult. You did just fine with your fight moves, just add some more depth.  ;)

BrookSkimmer

danflorreguba(Cluod) vs. The Shade(Nile)

For both of you, this started out really nice but then it fell apart some. This was due mostly to complicated attack moves. The first few read well and I didn't have a problem but then things just got complicated. The reason for non-response to attack moves in this round might be due with the intricate attacks. You both might consider making more concise attacks in future.  ;)

danflorreguba(Cluod) (3.5)

I liked where you were going with this. You did a good job with the dialogue, your character sounded very much like quintessential vermin. Just a note though, if you have to explain an attack move in parentheses, it's probably a little too complicated to be read well and make sense. That's the feeling I got from most of your moves involving shards. The moves with the staff were manageable and made sense. I also enjoyed what you were doing with writing about the bridge collapsing. using the surrounds in dueling posts makes things more interesting.

The Shade (3.5)

Poor Nile, he was just going to take a nap and then his bridge starts to fall apart! I liked where you started this. I got a good feel for your character and a little on his motives too.  Be careful about the wounds you allow your character to take and when they take them. A few of those hits, like the knife to the side would have debilitated your otter pretty fast, leaving him with a death post before the duel is over. One other thing to note; you ended a few of your posts without a retaliation attack, this leaves your dueling partner to come up with a new attack each time but sometimes nothing to counter.

BrookSkimmer

Blaggut(Gehrhin) 2

There just wasn't very much to your posts. If you want to score higher, you need to develop your character and start moving towards attack moves sooner in the thread. Responses of one sentence don't really make for depth in a duel. Make sure you choose to have your characters respond with a desire to attack, if not it doesn't make for a very strong duel.

BrookSkimmer

Spearfinn(Kiter) vs. Gonff(Gonff)

Sorry this round will not be judged. You both broke so many rules of dueling I don't even know where to begin. If you sign up for the next round please read through the rules and read through some properly written duels before you begin posting.

BrookSkimmer

JukkatheSling(Gwen) vs. Tiny Jakalope(Illeia Kane)

JukkatheSling(Gwen) (4.5)

This looked really good! Wow, you've got some talent here. Great character development and scene setting. I really liked Gwen. Overall, I've only got good things to say here. It would have been nice to see her dueling a bit more but the posts didn't really lead that way. I'm impressed with your writing!

Tiny Jakalope(Illeia Kane) (1)

You need to add to your writing. One sentence responses, especially after very well laid out posts from your partner, really fell short. Your character lacked depth and personality.  Also, taking a sling stone to the forehead would have either stunned your character or killed them.

BrookSkimmer

jetthebinturong(Makintab) vs. Osu(Buckley)

Osu(Buckley) (5.1)

That's right an extra .1 for you! This was beautiful! Your writing is very nice indeed. I felt like I was there watching this duel. You added depth, development, basically everything I look for in reading duels. Even realistic dueling moves. I loved this. Period. I've got nothing else to say.  ;D ;D

jetthebinturong(Makintab) (4.5)

Really nice work here. Good character development including description and motives. I liked reading this very much. Towards the end though, things got a little too short. Especially your last post. Keeping an even amount of text is not that common in duels, the amount written tends to go down as the duel progresses, but yours dropped a little too rapidly. overall though, very well done. I liked Makintab. Good name, interesting character.  :D