News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Ranking the Redwall Books

Started by Mosflower 4Life, December 06, 2017, 07:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

Quote from: WUMASTER on September 28, 2018, 12:01:05 AM
Unfortunately, the series kind of repeats the same themes throughout, and by the later books of the series, it does get kind of repetitive. Nonetheless, they're still very good books that I enjoyed. I wanted there to be more books in the series. The action did get more intense in the later books, with newer inventions like the crossbow. As I've said in other places on this website, I sure would have liked to see a Redwall book where they invent gunpowder!

Would you really? That's interesting. I don't think I've ever really seen someone mention the idea of a book where they invent gunpowder. (Likely my negligence in keeping up with the forum, I'm not doubting you've said it) It's certainly an interesting idea, although I'm not sure how much I like it.

Ashleg

If Loamhedge was my first impression, I bet I wouldn't have read any other books in this series!

WUMASTER

Quote from: Cornflower MM on September 28, 2018, 08:23:19 PM
Would you really? That's interesting. I don't think I've ever really seen someone mention the idea of a book where they invent gunpowder. (Likely my negligence in keeping up with the forum, I'm not doubting you've said it) It's certainly an interesting idea, although I'm not sure how much I like it.

I guess Mr. Jacques didn't include it because that would mean the end of Redwall. The peaceful abbey beasts wouldn't be the kind to get gunpowder. Most likely, searats would get guns, and invade Redwall pretty easily. A sword can't stand against a gun that easily.

I think Salamandastron hares would make or buy guns to defend searats, because they patrol the west coast of Mossflower Country.

Imagine what would happen if it were the far future, and there were laser beams!

DanielofRedwall

I do appreciate/love all of the books, but:

1. Mossflower: Best characters, best story. Loved the villains, of course Martin's character arc, and the story of the oppressed woodlanders banding together to overturn an evil rule is perfect.
2. Martin the Warrior: Ditto. Ending still makes my heart ache to think about it.
3. Mariel of Redwall: Always loved the character of Mariel, and this book has a great plot.
4. Redwall: First one I read so always will be close to my heart, still a fantastic story even if Jacques was finding his feet a bit at times.
5. The Bellmaker: I loved the Southsward region (always wished the returned there in later books), and the continuation with Mariel of Redwall.
6. Mattimeo: Slagar is one of the best villains Jacques has written, and I loved the storyline in this one.
7. Outcast of Redwall: Some nice script-switching on this one, and I've always loved the duo of Sunflash and Skarlath.
8. The Legend of Luke: I really enjoyed the two-stories-in-one thing going on here, and explores the best Redwall characters written (Martin, Luke etc.) in my opinion.
9. Pearls of Lutra: The emphasis on riddles on this one was really fun.
10. Long Patrol: The Long Patrol were always one of the most interesting parts of the books, so exploring how they actually operate made for a really fun book.
11. Rakkety Tam: I love Rakkety Tam as a character but didn't have the same kind of flare in storytelling as the others.
12. Rogue Crew: Personally thought this was a real return to form from Jacques. Loved the idea of the otter crew being the leads on this one.
13. Eulalia!: Super enjoyed the character journey of Gorath and the villain but some of the other plotlines dragged a little.
14. Taggerung: Still frustrated by how easily the conflict of an otter being raised by a vermin pack was resolved, but it did have a great plot.
15. Doomwyte: I enjoyed the bird villains and emphasis on the painted ones, but not the most thrilling of the books.
16. Lord Brocktree: Might be surprised to see this one so low but I did find the plot dragged a bit, as good as the characters (especially the villain) were.
17. Salamandastron: Just not super interesting.
18. High Rhulain: I like Tiria as a character but was a bit Sue-ish, and overall some of the characters were a bit under-written.
19. Marlfox: Found this one a bit boring, as much as I loved Cregga and Songbreeze.
20. Sable Queen: A pretty by-the-numbers Redwall book, not much interesting about it, although I do love there being a warrior mole. If only they had a better book to appear in.
21. Triss: Honestly found this one boring.
22. Loamhedge: Just the least interesting of them in my opinion.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Steelinghades

Quote from: WUMASTER on September 29, 2018, 03:42:30 AM
I guess Mr. Jacques didn't include it because that would mean the end of Redwall. The peaceful abbey beasts wouldn't be the kind to get gunpowder. Most likely, searats would get guns, and invade Redwall pretty easily. A sword can't stand against a gun that easily.

I think Salamandastron hares would make or buy guns to defend searats, because they patrol the west coast of Mossflower Country.

Imagine what would happen if it were the far future, and there were laser beams!

The thing is though that swords can be competitive with guns. Why do people always forget e Renaissance and the rest of the Early Modern period, where guns and swords existed together. For example, the fully armoured knight and firearms existed alongside each other for upwards of three centuries.

The Skarzs

Yeah, around 1450 onwards. But they weren't widely or effectively used for a long time, which is why it's easy to pass them off. Also, we aren't necessarily sure what time Redwall is set in. It could be anywhere from, say, 600, to the 1500s. Their technology hasn't seemed to advance much other than a crossbow.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Vilu Deskar

1. Mossflower/Rakkety Tam
2. Redwall/The Long Patrol
3. Lord Brocktree
4. Salamandastron
5. Legend of Luke
6. Mattimeo
7. Outcast of Redwall
8. Marlfox
9. Pearls of Lutra
10. Martin the Warrior
11.The Bellmaker
12. Mariel of Redwall
13. High Rhulian
14. Triss
16. Loamhedge
17. Taggerung

Steelinghades

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 22, 2018, 01:00:13 AM
Yeah, around 1450 onwards. But they weren't widely or effectively used for a long time, which is why it's easy to pass them off. Also, we aren't necessarily sure what time Redwall is set in. It could be anywhere from, say, 600, to the 1500s. Their technology hasn't seemed to advance much other than a crossbow.

A bit earlier then that, firearms were used in warfare in the 1,360s during the hundred years war.

As for Redwall's closest historical analogue judging by weapons and armour, I'd say roughly 13th century based on Mossflower and the full maille suits the vermin were using. Although as a whole Redwall varies extremely.

The Skarzs

Mm, I'm not sure about that. The Celts had chainmail way before then, back in Roman times. Really, full articulated plate armor like some the Badger Lords had would date it better, since plate armor fell in and out of style during the Dark ages.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Steelinghades

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 22, 2018, 11:06:12 PM
Mm, I'm not sure about that. The Celts had chainmail way before then, back in Roman times. Really, full articulated plate armor like some the Badger Lords had would date it better, since plate armor fell in and out of style during the Dark ages.

Plate armour--and articulated plate--exsisted in the bronze age, though Boar's armour is a bit more advanced then my thirteenth century answer I admit, however the Badger Lord's armour has generally been one of a kind and not seen on any other character--with maybe the exception of martin in mossflower, I forget how his armour was described--whereas the vermin armour was shown in far greater number then any other point in the entire series.

Vilu Deskar

1. Mossflower/Rakkety Tam
2. Redwall/The Long Patrol
3. Lord Brocktree
4. Salamandastron
5. Legend of Luke
6. Mattimeo
7. Outcast of Redwall
8. Marlfox
9. Pearls of Lutra
10. Martin the Warrior
11. Eulalia!
12.The Bellmaker
13. Mariel of Redwall
14. High Rhulian
15. Triss
16. Loamhedge
17. Doomwyte
18. Taggerung

Captain Tammo

I'm re-reading the Taggerung right now via audiobook. Definitely would bump this one up my list! Perhaps it's the performances, but I think the story itself has a very nice charm to it!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Tungro

Finally got this down,
Mariel of Redwall
Mossflower
High Rhulain
The Legend of Luke
Pearls of Lutra
Martin the Warrior
The Long Patrol
Salamandastron
Redwall
The Bellmaker
Taggerung
Mattimeo
Triss
Lord Brocktree
Marlfox
Rakkety Tam
Sable Queen
Doomwyte
Rouge Crew
Outcast of Redwall
Loamhedge
Eulalia

Grond

Quote from: WUMASTER on September 29, 2018, 03:42:30 AM
Quote from: Cornflower MM on September 28, 2018, 08:23:19 PM

The Redwallers did keep other weapons though like swords, spears, bows and arrows etc... also at certain points it had a larger armoury than at others. The big problem with gunpowder would be that Redwall would lose its ability to be a fortified safe haven. If a vermin army had cannons they could easily breach a hole in the walls that would then have to be repaired and the process would often repeat itself. Eventually making it unfeasible to upkeep the abbey. Absent gunpowder it is quite difficult for an opposing army to raze a wall. The invention of the cannon was largely the reason why castles fell out of use...

clunylooney

I have only read 20 redwall books but here are my Rankings: (JFTR I like all the books that I have read)
1. Mossflower: The definition of epic
2. Redwall: The original, with the best villain ever
3. High Rhulain: Had some of the most epic villains and great heroes in the entire series
4. Marlfox: The Marlfoxes are great villains, the journeys and the siege on redwall were awesome.
5. Taggerung: People are way to hard on it, this was the first redwall book where not even one chapter bored me
6. The Bellmaker: I almost cried at the end
7. The Legend of Luke: Has some of my absolute favorite characters in the series and is super engaging
8. Outcast of Redwall: I love the Sunflash vs Swartt in this book.
9. The Long Patrol: The battle at the end was the best in the series and it was just in general an amazing book
10. Lord Brocktree: The Characters are amazing in this and Book 2 and 3 are great
11. The Pearls of Lutra: The riddles were fun and I love how much new Jaques brought in
12. Doomwyte: This book went from just trying to find some jewels to a war with painted ones and the craziest battle ever
13. Loamhedge: This book was great. There were a few problems with it, but it didn't take away from the experience
14. Rakkety Tam: There wasn't really anything I truly disliked about this book. It's a good book!
15. Salamandastron: This book was really really fun
16. Mattimeo: The more I think about it the more I like it
17. Martin the Warrior: Don't be fooled by how low this is, this one was real good too
18. The Sable Quean: Had fun with this. Also had many problems with this. Quite a few problems actually. But I still enjoyed it!
19. Eulalia!: I honestly liked this book a lot more than I thought I would. But still was nothing AMAZING
20. Triss: I enjoyed it. The Characters aren't great but Plugg Firetail, his crew and the adder siblings were awesome
21. Mariel of Redwall: I liked the characters and the Graypatch storyline but not much else
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me