The Inconsistencies of the Redwall Series

Started by Granitfur, November 24, 2018, 07:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Granitfur

I have read all 22 Redwall books, and have noticed several inconsistencies in characters, plot, etc. The two I can remember off the top of my head right now are both in Legend of Luke. The first was when Dunespike mentioned having met Luke and Ranguvar. Jacques contradicts himself in The Wake of the Red Ship, though. There was no point where both Ranguvar and Luke could have met the Dunehogs. The second was when Martin brought back the picture that would later be part of the Tapestry. In Mariel of Redwall though, it mentions coming up with the color of thread for Martin. Has anyone else noticed this? Have I misread something? I would like to hear some other Redwall Fans' opinions on this matter.
-Granitfur 

Ashleg

Granitfur

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed them. Which one confused you the most would you say (if any)?

LordTBT

Here's a solid list. https://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/About#Inconsistencies_.26_Coincidences

Regarding the tapestry: in Mariel, I believe they were refurbishing it. That wasn't an inconsistency.

The Skarzs

Yeah, I remember that.

I know there were a few, but they weren't so blaring that I remember them off the top of my head.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Granitfur

Quote from: LordTBT on November 25, 2018, 05:01:46 PM
Here's a solid list. https://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/About#Inconsistencies_.26_Coincidences

Regarding the tapestry: in Mariel, I believe they were refurbishing it. That wasn't an inconsistency.
Thanks for the correction on the Tapestry thing. Wouldn't they already know the color of the thread for Martin, though?

Cornflower MM

Perhaps they didn't have the exact match and were having to pick from a few shades.

Granitfur

Granitfur

I haven't seen this anywhere else, so I thought I should bring it up here.

Rufe Brush. He seemed almost like a different character in Mariel than in Bellmaker. He seems younger and more insecure in Bellmaker, while in Mariel he was described as being strong and silent. This was mentioned on Redwall Wiki, so you can read some other points. http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Argulor/Rufe_Brush

What are your thoughts on this matter?

Steelinghades

It's probably something as simple as Jacques forgot how he characterized him in between books.

Grond

Quote from: LordTBT on November 25, 2018, 05:01:46 PM

I don't really see how two different characters having the same name would qualify as an inconsistency. Different characters can have the same name. Take the most famous example Ripfang- the one from LBT and the Mossflower one. They both had an abnormally long fang it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that in say searat culture if you have an abnormally long fang you would get the name Ripfang. Its a rare characteristic sure but not one that is exclusive or unique to one individual. It also seems that if a vermin has a distinguishing or unusual physical trait it will be included in their name- i.e. Vizka Longtooth.

Jukka the Sling

Ah, man, reading that wiki page, I was reminded once again of Gurrbowl and Diggum switching genders.  That was a strange thing to mix up.  (What if it was some kind of editing error, like how Killconey was sometimes described as female?)

Some inconsistencies that really bug me aren't mentioned on the wiki.  In Mossflower, Ferdy and Coggs Stickle are tiny Dibbuns.  In Legend of Luke, they're described as "old".  Also, Timballisto is supposed to have lived to a ripe old age and told his grandson Barlom tales of Martin, according to Outcast of Redwall.  But in TLoL, he died soon after Kotir fell.

...Legend of Luke is strangely inconsistent, it would seem.  I still think the middle section of that book is some of the most epic, brutal, Silmarillion-worthy stuff though.  I need to check that book out again just for that.  (The rest of the book is a little bit filler-y.)
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Grond

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on January 17, 2019, 10:16:35 PM
Ah, man, reading that wiki page, I was reminded once again of Gurrbowl and Diggum switching genders.  That was a strange thing to mix up.  (What if it was some kind of editing error, like how Killconey was sometimes described as female?)

Some inconsistencies that really bug me aren't mentioned on the wiki.  In Mossflower, Ferdy and Coggs Stickle are tiny Dibbuns.  In Legend of Luke, they're described as "old".  Also, Timballisto is supposed to have lived to a ripe old age and told his grandson Barlom tales of Martin, according to Outcast of Redwall.  But in TLoL, he died soon after Kotir fell.

...Legend of Luke is strangely inconsistent, it would seem.  I still think the middle section of that book is some of the most epic, brutal, Silmarillion-worthy stuff though.  I need to check that book out again just for that.  (The rest of the book is a little bit filler-y.)

It was only "book two" titled Luke in the LoL that was actually about Luke. That accounted for less than half the book, as out of the 370 or so pages the book has, only about 150 are in the "second book" and about the titular character. And I agree that part was fantastic. The rest was essentially filler and full of odd inconsistencies which you pointed out. I guess Brian might have been having writers block while writing the beginning which details Martin and Company's journey to the north coast.

But aging in Redwall is a bit odd. Take Cregga for instance- she is described as being an extremely ancient badger yet if we look at Russano's age in the Taggerung he is roughly middle aged. Given the fact that he was a babe in the Long Patrol while Cregga was young and the only known character to be alive from that period he should be really old too. It is unclear if badgers age really slowly or not. As in Mossflower Dinny's grandfather used to play with Boar the Fighter while they were both dibbuns. Boar is fairly old in Mossflower although it appears he hadn't quite reached the same advanced stage in life as Dinny's grandfather- as badgers seemed to age somewhat slower. But Russano outlived many young characters such as Songbreeze from the period spanning Marlfox and Taggerung and yet by the time of Marlfox he was already a grown badger probably. Fast forward to the period the Taggerung takes place in and Russano appears to be middle aged while Song had already been long dead by then... Same applies to Bella and Sunflash too...

clunylooney

Quote from: Granitfur on November 24, 2018, 07:42:51 PM
I have read all 22 Redwall books, and have noticed several inconsistencies in characters, plot, etc. The two I can remember off the top of my head right now are both in Legend of Luke. The first was when Dunespike mentioned having met Luke and Ranguvar. Jacques contradicts himself in The Wake of the Red Ship, though. There was no point where both Ranguvar and Luke could have met the Dunehogs. The second was when Martin brought back the picture that would later be part of the Tapestry. In Mariel of Redwall though, it mentions coming up with the color of thread for Martin. Has anyone else noticed this? Have I misread something? I would like to hear some other Redwall Fans' opinions on this matter.
-Granitfur
It says on the Redwall Wiki that the Tapestry was of Martin's grandfather and was modified to look like him. Also, I'm pretty sure that Dunespike says, "he only ever knew of two other warriors" which means that he could mean, he had heard tales of those two warriors.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

clunylooney

Quote from: Steelinghades on January 09, 2019, 03:21:06 PM
It's probably something as simple as Jacques forgot how he characterized him in between books.
Don't give Jacques that little credit. Rufe was away from home, he never wanted to leave it so he was insecure.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me