Started by Tiria Wildlough, December 06, 2011, 02:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiria Wildlough

[WARNING: This topic may contain spoilers. In fact, it's almost certain to. ;)]

Taggerung and Salamandastron are tied first for me. :'( :'(
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Folgrimeo

Salamandastron for having a few moments that got me to tears or close to it (more in a single book than the others). That Dryditch fever also kept things depressing since there was potential for there to be more losses.

In general I don't think of Redwall books as being sad, so I go for what had the saddest moments or most number of sad moments. The closest I can think of to a consistently sad book is "The Rogue Crew", constant war, spots of hope were few. I didn't nominate that because it didn't make me cry. After all the harm and deaths, it was numbing me to the tragedy actually.

DanielofRedwall

I know lots of people will say Martin the Warrior because of that one terrible moment at the end, and I agree, that moment brought me to tears, but for the most consistently sad novel I'll have to say Mattimeo and Salamandastron.

Mattimeo had plenty of sad moments at the start, with Mrs. Bankvole and Friar Hugo passing away. It is also a constantly sad novel, with the rescuers always getting so close to the stolen children, but then losing it. Also, just the storyline is a bit depressing, with children being stolen as revenge. And then there is the part where Queen Warbeak and Log-a-Log dies...

Salamandastron pretty much for the reasons already mentioned. The Dryditch fever keeps the mood a bit down and with Urthstripe falling to his death to kill Ferahgo and never getting to meet Urthwyte. Yeah, that is a real tear-jerker moment.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Skipper

Loamhege: i almost cried when Bragg and Saro died :'(

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on December 06, 2011, 07:27:29 AM
Salamandastron pretty much for the reasons already mentioned. The Dryditch fever keeps the mood a bit down and with Urthstripe falling to his death to kill Ferahgo and never getting to meet Urthwyte. Yeah, that is a real tear-jerker moment.
True, true. I thought Mara's speech was cheesy, though...
I'm not a hipster.

Lily

Mattimeo had plenty of sad moments at the start, with Cynthia Bankvole and Friar Hugo passing away. It is also a constantly sad novel, with the rescuers always getting so close to the stolen children, but then losing it. Also, just the storyline is a bit depressing, with children being stolen as revenge. And then there is the part where Queen Warbeak and Log-a-Log dies...

Mrs Bankvole died, not Cynthia. Cynthia was one of the young ones who were taken. I just finished Mattimeo again today. ;)

As for the saddest book... that's a hard one. I agree with Daniel about Mattimeo, the storyline itself is one of the saddest. Also, the characters who die had already been with us through another book, so their loss hit harder, I think.

Pearls of Lutra also sprang to my mind when I first read this topic. I remember being absolutely devastated when Piknim died. There was a moment like that in every book, I guess, but Piknim's death stands out for some reason.

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Lily on December 06, 2011, 02:03:22 PM
Mattimeo had plenty of sad moments at the start, with Cynthia Bankvole and Friar Hugo passing away. It is also a constantly sad novel, with the rescuers always getting so close to the stolen children, but then losing it. Also, just the storyline is a bit depressing, with children being stolen as revenge. And then there is the part where Queen Warbeak and Log-a-Log dies...

Mrs Bankvole died, not Cynthia. Cynthia was one of the young ones who were taken. I just finished Mattimeo again today. ;)
My mistake! Thanks for pointing that out.
Quote from: Lily on December 06, 2011, 02:03:22 PM
Pearls of Lutra also sprang to my mind when I first read this topic. I remember being absolutely devastated when Piknim died. There was a moment like that in every book, I guess, but Piknim's death stands out for some reason.
I agree with you, that one was pretty sad. I felt sad when Piknim died. I even felt a bit sad when Romsca died, as well!
Received mostly negative reviews.

Log-a-Log

Legend of Luke was always the saddest for me
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Dotti

I think that Martin the Warrior was one of the saddest for the obvious reason.  I love the way the romance between Martin and Rose was carried out, and it made it all the sadder when she died.  I think her death was special because it completely changed the course of a main character's life.  (And though one could argue that's what happened in Taggerung, we don't know Deyna's father enough to really love him.)
Bragoon and Saro's deaths were very sad also.  I think that's the first time Mr. Jacques killed off two of his really important characters in one blow. 
Hmm, perhaps that's why I don't really like Mattimeo. ;) 
I'm re-reading Salamandastron right now, and I find it interesting how Mr. Jacques almost seems to indicate that Urthstrip is at fault for his relationship with Mara breaking down.  It is pretty sad that he never gets to even see Mara.  I personally, would rather that he somehow remains conscious for a few seconds after his fall and sees Mara bending over him (perhaps whispering something like, "I'm sorry, Browneye".  Why yes, I do like overly dramatic deaths.  How did you guess?  ;D )

Have any of you been able to predict when somebeast's going to die?  I remember when my dad was reading me Triss (a LONG time ago!) we got to the part where they're all sitting around eating lunch before going into Brockhall, and it says something like, "Triss gazed at Shog, and a wave of affection swept over her for the faithful otter."  My dad looked up and said "Well, I guess that's it for Shog.  He's gotta die now." And somehow I just knew that Swiffo had to die. :( 
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Dotti on December 07, 2011, 02:03:54 AM
I'm re-reading Salamandastron right now, and I find it interesting how Mr. Jacques almost seems to indicate that Urthstrip is at fault for his relationship with Mara breaking down.  It is pretty sad that he never gets to even see Mara.  I personally, would rather that he somehow remains conscious for a few seconds after his fall and sees Mara bending over him (perhaps whispering something like, "I'm sorry, Browneye".  Why yes, I do like overly dramatic deaths.  How did you guess?  ;D )
Bwaaaaahaaaahaaaaa! :'( :'( :'( :'( That is soooo saaaad. If it had been that way, I would really have cried. :'(
Is no one going to mention Cregga's death? She was in THREE BOOKS, for goodness sake! :o
I'm not a hipster.

Flandor

Legend of Luke is terribly sad.  One tragedy after another.  First when the women and young ones are murdered, then when Beau falls overboard, then when the Sayna is wrecked and the crew killed, then when Luke sacrifices his life.  :(   And it doesn't help knowing that while all that was happening, little Martin was being made a slave :(

Loamhedge and Taggerrung were pretty sad, with Bragoon, Saro and Cregga.

Friar Hugo in Mattimeo :(

And even though Shogg's death was predictable, I found it awfully sad.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

eualaia

loamhedge was the saddest when bragoon and saro died

i can withstand phyisical hurts but no mental ones

D:

wolves will slay whoever they want to.....*growl* "AGHH''

Rollo the Baby Bankvole

I would have to say Salamandastron because of the ending and Urthstripe :(
I've read Mattimeo, Salamandastron, The Pearls of Lutra, The Taggerung, Triss, Eulalia!, Lord Brocktree, The Legend of Luke, The Bellmaker & The Long Patrol! xD
??Just close your eyes, the sun is going down, you'll be alright, noone

Blademaster

Im going to have to go with salamandastron with this one.
Cluny-"Shut up!" Cheesethief-"Shutting up chief."

Icefire

In order:
1. Martin the Warrior (That's just downright tragic!)
2. Pearls of Lutra (An ENTIRE HOLT was slaughtered!)
3. Mattimeo (reasons stated in other posts)
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!